News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:21:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tip weight box placement  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Tip weight box placement
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »
What's the best rule of thumb for placing an adjustable tip weight box as far as fore and aft on the airfoil? Should it be centered on the CG?

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Tip weight box placement
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »
I try to center on the CG as best I can. 

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
I suppose, most would like to see the weight box on a line that goes from the center of the leadouts, through the CG location, and as far out on the out board tip as possible.

In practise it's not really that important, as long as it is placed near the tip, in, or near to, the widest part of the tip airfoil.

Looking at most of my planes, that means the box is usually glued to the back of the spar. this often makes it pretty much opposite to the leadouts.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »
I would think that if the weight box is NOT in line with your CG, centrifugal force will try and get it there.
Depending where you located it on the tip rib, that could be detrimental to line tension,  i.e.- placing it too far back on the rib might try and rotate the outboard wing fwd (LH yaw). Think of the tip weight as a small pendulum. Engine offset and/ or rudder offset would counter this effect, but why have two forces (no matter how minute) fighting eachother?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 12:54:03 AM »
Yea, I try to get it as close to the nominal CG as I can. I use a tube that is usually right in the middle of the spar.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
I would think that if the weight box is NOT in line with your CG, centrifugal force will try and get it there.
Depending where you located it on the tip rib, that could be detrimental to line tension,  i.e.- placing it too far back on the rib might try and rotate the outboard wing fwd (LH yaw). Think of the tip weight as a small pendulum. Engine offset and/ or rudder offset would counter this effect, but why have two forces (no matter how minute) fighting eachother?

While I can agree with your statement, the practical arrangement seldom allows us to place the tip weight in a direct line from the center of the leadouts, through the CG, and to the outboard wingtip, which would be the best location.

So, we often make compromises, and placing the weight box as near as possible to the thickest portion of the wing, at the outboard tip, is one of them. This is even more of an issue when we use the traditional tip weight box.

Using a tube as Randy does is likely the better way, as weight location can be placed, easier, into the best location.

The moment arm, between the optimum location, and the thickest part of the wingtip, is very small, especially considering that the relationships change with changes in Cg, and leadout location during the trimming stages. It's all a set of compromises.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
I have thought about making the weight box half way out the outboard wing rather than at the tip.  Of course it would require more weight, but the moment of inertia, barbell effect, would be reduced.   S?P

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 01:40:41 PM »

(Clip)

Think of the tip weight as a small pendulum.

(Clip)

A model airplane, whether it is control line or not only has one center of gravity.  Adding any weight at the tip only changes the CG to move on the lateral axis towards that tip weight.  If the tip weight is mounted forward or rearward of the longitudinal CG position, then that additional tip weight will change the longitudinal CG position, albeit very little with the "normal configuration of our stunt ships.  A tip weight is not an independent mass swinging freely out there in that wing tip.  A tip weight only contributes to the location of the CG.  That single CG position is what tries to align itself with respect to the leadout position.

Ideally, one would want to add tip weight so the the longitudinal CG position is not changed (assuming that the ideal longitudinal CG position has been established).  However, the position of additional tip weight, whether closer to the LE or TE will have significantly less affect on longitudinal CG position than the consumption of fuel during flight.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here