Design > Stunt design

Thinned elevators

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bob Hunt:

--- Quote from: Howard Rush on April 05, 2023, 01:49:04 PM --- It is currently fashionable to make extra-thick elevator trailing edges.
--- End quote ---

Sorta like bell bottoms for elevators...

Bob

Clint Ormosen:

--- Quote from: Howard Rush on April 05, 2023, 01:49:04 PM ---Folks intuit that the elevator won't have much effect until it peeks out from behind the stabilizer.

--- End quote ---

Yes! This is exactly how I envision it working. Apparently it doesn’t, though.
I never liked the idea of slop in the control system for fear that it might make the maneuvers difficult to do, or at least make them ugly.
So how do you achieve the effect I’m looking for? To have the controls do near nothing around neutral. I know I can set it up for slower controls in general, but that’s not what I want either.

Ken Culbertson:
In the "for what it is worth" department, the picture below is the stab airfoil I have been using the past 4-5 years.  The plate on the TE is new and PERMANENT.  No slop.  The stab is 1/2" and the elevator 3/8".  I use Robart hinges on the elevator only with the pocket in the stab.  With the rounding of the stab TE the elevator keeps the curvature of the upper surface and the airflow does not separate until it hits that mini wall at the end.

Howard Rush:

--- Quote from: Clint Ormosen on April 05, 2023, 05:14:24 PM ---Yes! This is exactly how I envision it working. Apparently it doesn’t, though.
I never liked the idea of slop in the control system for fear that it might make the maneuvers difficult to do, or at least make them ugly.
So how do you achieve the effect I’m looking for? To have the controls do near nothing around neutral. I know I can set it up for slower controls in general, but that’s not what I want either.

--- End quote ---

I use Igor's flap mechanism. 

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: Clint Ormosen on April 05, 2023, 05:14:24 PM ---Yes! This is exactly how I envision it working. Apparently it doesn’t, though.

--- End quote ---

I am not sure why you want that, but if you want to try it, use Larry Renger's exponential handle. No airplane modifications required.

I am curious what problem you are having, because that is not normally a problem we have, in fact, it's the other way around. I submit it might be a trim or design issue.

Brett

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version