News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The ultimate stunt machine?  (Read 23294 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: The ultimate stunt machine?
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »
Its a lot like asking who the most beautiful woman is.

Except in stunt you won't get in trouble posting the scores. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline david w bahm

• New Pilot
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2013, 09:06:15 AM »
I am no stunt expert by any means and if I flew in competition you'd have to tunnel to find out where I finished when the scores were tallied. But in spite of all that I will say in being obsessed with the 5 ft radius corner the rest of my pattern (what I can fly of it) suffers accordingly. Every airplane I set up to try to fly the corner to the letter of the rule book wound up being too much to handle as to control input. I had one ship which would practically pivot on the end of the lines but once the turn was established it was to quick to stop. This resulted in many powered inverted landings and much subsequent damage. The model would also not track reliably in level flight and I was constantly "getting behind the airplane" in normal flight regime. Made for some pretty wild rides. While alot of it was attributed to both a far aft CG (in order to achieve the rule book 5 ft radius) and my less than expert flying skills, once the CG was brought back to a range within bounds to where it could be controlled, the turn radius did open but a much more definitive and consistent pattern was achieved. I think Keith's point is right on the money as the term tight allows a little leeway for the pilot to establish a flow to his/her pattern that lends itself to the flight parameters of the equipment resulting in a more consistent pattern that flows together. Kinda like a figure skating routine if you will.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
From what I have gathered, Shapes, Intersections and Size of the maneuver is more important than a very sharp unobtainable corner. 

They are more-or-less equally important. The problem has always been that people would home in on one aspect (like the corners) and disregard the others.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 05:26:23 PM »
In the past, when I was flying the Spacehound, I was told it presented very well in the pattern.  This model has an uber tiny tail and as such does not have a really good "square" corner.  It does do excellent rounds, though!  By using a good ST.46 in an otherwise .35-.40 size plane did help in keeping the model flying when I tried to bang a corner.  Compared to a T-Bird II that I had about the same time which seemed to just rotate 90* and change direction.  The T-Bird II does have a much thicker airfoil, but otherwise about the same wing area, etc..  Wish I knew a lot more about why these planes do the things they do, but I will just go on by stealing the designs from the top guys! LL~ LL~

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2013, 07:32:39 PM »

".... anyone used a old O.S. max 80 for F2B .  S?P

LL~ H^^

Wow!  That would be kool on my Ringmaster!!  How soon can I borrow it??  Think I'll need a muffler??

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
Hello Ty,
With respect, the question was NOT "what is the ultimate stunt machine". I was watching the development of control line stunt from the late 1940s to the present. My question was really intended to see where people thought that stunt design was heading for. There will be an ultimate stunt design, as I suspect when we all fall off our perches, then control line stunt will probably die too!
  Some of the answers have already provided some illuminating example. Lauri was being quite provocative and I suspect making some people think! Other views were very interesting too. I would reckon we have another 20 years or so before stunt becomes virtually extinct. I can't believe that the planes in stunt's "Winter Days" will just be rehashes of current design thinking. Hence the initial question.
  If I am still able to fly in 20 years time, I will still be flying IC, as electric is plug and play and doesn't really present many challenges. I was devleloping chopped multiphase electric systems over 30 years ago and found the technology as inelegant then as I do today. That ISN'T a challenge to the electric fraternity. I shall probably be on my own at that stage and classed a dinosaur to boot.
What really interests me is how model design will have changed. is there likely to be any out of the box thinking that revolutionises stunt design, or will it be small improvements along the way?

Regards,

Andrew.

BMFA Number 64862

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »
  If I am still able to fly in 20 years time, I will still be flying IC, as electric is plug and play and doesn't really present many challenges. I was devleloping chopped multiphase electric systems over 30 years ago and found the technology as inelegant then as I do today. That ISN'T a challenge to the electric fraternity.
Regards,

Andrew.

Andrew, any thoughts about designing a true, 3 phase ESC that uses the same frequency control used for industrial motors?
phil Cartier

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
Hello Phil,
My brief interlude in designing industrial chopped "3 phase systems" was purgatory! I certainly don't want to revisit that era! I do take your point however.......no I don't want to go there!

Regards,

Andrew
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here