News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Lieutenant flies very well with heavy engine!  (Read 5218 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The Lieutenant flies very well with heavy engine!
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:50:36 AM »
      Hello All:

Just a quick update on the Lieutenant that I was attempting to balance several months ago.  I added the ST .49 Sport engine sans muffler and it flies very well! At 12 oz., the ST did balance the plane very well. The ST is a sweetheart of an engine.

Stay well,

Frank

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Lieutenant flies very well with heavy engine!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:15:45 PM »
Frank,
Just curious what does the Lieutenant weigh? The original had a Fox 35 and was about 38 oz ish. It flew very fast. I'm sure the ST 49 has tons of power, where do you have it balance? Love to see a picture.

Best,     DennisT

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »
Larry Ducharme had one at the KOI about 12 years ago. I do not know if  it was his original model that was in Flying models. I do have picture in my collection if needed. I saw one flown in Classic by Jim Damerell that had a profile body. Very thin wing but a very good flying model.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
According to the Lieutenant article in the January 1958 issue of Model Airplane News, the original weighed 30 oz with a Fox 35 and flew 80 mph.  It had a very thin wing, about 12.5% at the root and 25% at the tips. with no thickness taper.  It had a straight LE with an elliptical TE.  Based on the Dave Day charts for classical airplanes, it had a 49.5" span.  Based on that, rough measurements from the magazine plan, it had approximately 450 sq in.  At that weight and power, it probably does not need flaps.

Interesting airplane.  It would be good to see something like this at VSC.  With that thin wing, I think it would still need to be kept light to fly really well.

Keith

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »

can we see a picture
rad racer

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 07:35:28 PM »
Leroy Ducharme (may he rest in peace, a true friend and gentleman) and I worked together on International Programs before we retired in the late 90's. When he heard I was building and flying again after 25 years he came out to the field to "watch". A club member lent him a profile to fly and he did a complete pattern on his first flight in ?? years.
He went home and came back a few weeks later with a newly built Lieutenant (It was the one he later flew at the KOI). A few weeks later he returned with the Lieutenant and his new  "Easy" combat ship from the 50's.
We flew together for ?? years until he passed away. With Larry Scarinzi's assistance (Larry, Red Reinhart and Leroy flew together for years) I submitted an article about Leroy to Stunt News which was published.
I have a fully framed out Lieutenant wing, thank you Bill Hummel, which hangs over my PC. I think of Lee often.   H^^

Roger Vizioli    
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:55:17 PM by Roger Vizioli »
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »
can we see a picture

Bob,
When you were flying F2C at our T'ville field, Lee was flying the Lieutenant there.  Remember his Orange and Black stunter? That's it!

Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:10:09 AM »
I was a Lieutenant once - but what does the stunter look like?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:50:11 AM »
Is this the Lieutenant?
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
That's it. As a kid my flying buddy built one as his first full fuse stunter. It was a great airplane and one of these days I'm going to build one. It fits good with the Fox 35 and agree with Keith, needs to be light (note the clear finish on Leroy's in the mag picture).

Best,          DennisT

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 05:29:33 PM »
I was there at the KOI back then and was impressed how well it flew. Can anyone tell me if the profile version is OTS legal and when was it built? I used to have the Stunt news article on it but lost it. Anyone have a photo of the profile version they would like to share?  Thanks, Richard
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 04:59:41 AM »
Neither version is OT legal. You can fly a profile version in classic. There is no point hit for changing a built up model to a  profile in most east coast contest. Jimmy D form the NY area had a profile version at a contest I went to.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 09:12:13 AM »
Is this the Lieutenant?

I to want to build one of these one day......... And now that I have figured out how to put a connector to the elev. in that thin fuse it is just a matter of time.

Hint: Bicycle spoke.  y1

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here