News:

• May 07, 2024, 05:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tempest wing (Randy's)  (Read 1697 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Tempest wing (Randy's)
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:48:22 PM »
I'm not sure if this would fall under stunt design or kit bashing.   I have Bob's lost foam fixture for the Randy's Tempest and also have the plans for Werewages P-47.  I was thinking of building the P-47 around the Tempest wing, the airfoil is different (laying the root rib of the Tempest over the plans it is a little thicker and a little shorter).  Power would be PA 61/pipe.  Would this give me a good shot at a good ship?  I know I could order a jig from Bob but storage room is an issue in my shop (as I have 3 fixtures now, the aforementioned Tempest, Geo XL, and Bob's Mustang).

James
AMA 491167

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Tempest wing (Randy's)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
if you change one thing on a model - you have to change everything else in relation to it.

if you want the P47 to fly like the Werwage one - you need to build it the same as the Werwage one,including airfoil,chord, wingspan etc.

You CAN bash a model - but dont expect it to perform the same as the original design.

there is some pretty good info on model design etc on the retro-discovery website - it makes a lot of sense (even in broken English)
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
Got a link to the retro website ?

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:47:39 PM »
if you change one thing on a model - you have to change everything else in relation to it.

if you want the P47 to fly like the Werwage one - you need to build it the same as the Werwage one,including airfoil,chord, wingspan etc.

You CAN bash a model - but dont expect it to perform the same as the original design.

there is some pretty good info on model design etc on the retro-discovery website - it makes a lot of sense (even in broken English)
Thanks Wynn.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »
Hi James,

Of course the "new" P-47 will not fly exactly like the "original" P-47, but then Billy has had 5 or 6 of those, all slightly to more so different.  To include different wing lay outs.

Aaron built a Geo XL under Billy's guidance to include the Geo Bolt (published Razorback P-47 wing, Bob cut us the Lost Foam fixture while Billy was at his shop making his first one) wing.  A LOT of difference in those two wings!  The Geo XL being a USA-1 wing, it was lower aspect ratio, etc., etc..  BUT!  The "new" Geo XL flew exceedingly well!

As to using the Tempest (pretty sure that is Randy's SV airfoil, not the Ryte Flyte?) in the P-47 fuselage, I would say it would turn out to be a fine flying model.  The original Razorback Geo Bolt has an airfoil very similar to Randy's SV series.  This sort of thing is not the least bit unheard of in this hobby. ;D  While Aaron's Geo "Bolt" XL met its demise due to the very sloping circle at Brodak's and the attempt he made to have a 40 point takeoff, the plane, itself, flew exceptionally.

The SV series wings have found there way into several top level stunt ships not only the SV-11 to SV-31 series.  As have his Rite Flite ones.
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »
Hi James,

Of course the "new" P-47 will not fly exactly like the "original" P-47, but then Billy has had 5 or 6 of those, all slightly to more so different.  To include different wing lay outs.

Aaron built a Geo XL under Billy's guidance to include the Geo Bolt (published Razorback P-47 wing, Bob cut us the Lost Foam fixture while Billy was at his shop making his first one) wing.  A LOT of difference in those two wings!  The Geo XL being a USA-1 wing, it was lower aspect ratio, etc., etc..  BUT!  The "new" Geo XL flew exceedingly well!

As to using the Tempest (pretty sure that is Randy's SV airfoil, not the Ryte Flyte?) in the P-47 fuselage, I would say it would turn out to be a fine flying model.  The original Razorback Geo Bolt has an airfoil very similar to Randy's SV series.  This sort of thing is not the least bit unheard of in this hobby. ;D  While Aaron's Geo "Bolt" XL met its demise due to the very sloping circle at Brodak's and the attempt he made to have a 40 point takeoff, the plane, itself, flew exceptionally.

The SV series wings have found there way into several top level stunt ships not only the SV-11 to SV-31 series.  As have his Rite Flite ones.
Big Bear
Thanks Bill, I am seriously considering trying this.  I know from experience that the Tempest wing will carry a bit more weight if things get away from you.  I'm trying to decide between that or Bob's Mustang (I've got cool paint schemes picked out for both).

James
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:07:36 AM »
Thanks Bill, I am seriously considering trying this.  I know from experience that the Tempest wing will carry a bit more weight if things get away from you.  I'm trying to decide between that or Bob's Mustang (I've got cool paint schemes picked out for both).

James

Hi James,

I am putting the finishing construction touches on a Hunt Mustang, just need to bend the LG wires and make a cowl..  I made it a "C" version and am copying the Paul Mantz' Race Winners from 1946-1947, all red, #46, NX 1202.  Will have a PA .51 on can muffler and can go up to the PA 61 if needed, but I don't think it will be.  Got tired of fiddling with a pipe tunnel and making it removable, so it's getting Muffled. ;D

Used SLC under silkspan on the open bays of the wings.  First time using that method, but it seems to be working fine.  Should take less dope and filler, plus the puncture resistance from being around the "hanger" will be GREATLY reduced.  I hope to have it ready for the Oct. Huntersville Meet.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
Got a link to the Retro website ?

Here is the link: 
http://discovery-aeromodels.com/ 

The theme referred is on http://discovery-aeromodels.com/en/yuriy-yatsenko-classic-model.html

Very interesting article.
About the comment on the English: It is probably better than your Ukrainan.

Also the comment on 'change one thing and you must change everything'
I have one of these 'Classic' models.
It does not have adjustable  leadouts, the wingtip weight box is sealed, balance and engine offset is fixed.
And i assure you: It is a great advantage. It prevents me or any others to change something that is already right.

Norvald Olsvold

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
I'm not sure if this would fall under stunt design or kit bashing.   I have Bob's lost foam fixture for the Randy's Tempest and also have the plans for Werewages P-47.  I was thinking of building the P-47 around the Tempest wing, the airfoil is different (laying the root rib of the Tempest over the plans it is a little thicker and a little shorter).  Power would be PA 61/pipe.  Would this give me a good shot at a good ship?  I know I could order a jig from Bob but storage room is an issue in my shop (as I have 3 fixtures now, the aforementioned Tempest, Geo XL, and Bob's Mustang).

James

Hi James

It will fly just fine, it has already been done before, and the Werwage P-47 uses a SV airfoil to start with,  it is just a thinner one

Regards
Randy

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »
Hi James

It will fly just fine, it has already been done before, and the Werwage P-47 uses a SV airfoil to start with,  it is just a thinner one

Regards
Randy
Thanks Randy, that will have to be on my future build list.

James
AMA 491167

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here