Design > Stunt design

Tail moment and tail volume

(1/2) > >>

Ken Deboy:
I'm building a modified Ringmaster (different wing) that will have a shorter tail moment than a stock RM if I don't lengthen the fuselage. Since the RM already has a short tail moment, would it be a good idea to lengthen the fuse to get back at least to original moment or possibly longer? From what I've read this helps both turning AND stability in level flight. Also does the stab/elevator area need to be changed to compensate for greater tail moment?

thanks,
Ken

Jim Pollock:
Ken,

I would keep the proportions at least similar to the original RM.  If the wing is larger than the original, then I would probably lengthen the moment to the Stab/Elevator a bit.  Why the need to re-invent the venerable Ring Master anyway?  ???

Jim Pollock  H^^

Ken Deboy:
Not trying to reinvent, it's just that I have an S-1A fuselage without the matching wing and a Shark 402 wing kit without the matching fuse. Thought they might make a good couple since thicker wings are supposed to fly better at 5000' and a scratch built RM wing is a little beyond my current building skills.

cheers,
Ken

Jim Pollock:
Sounds logical for a 5000 ft. Altitude.

Bob Reeves has the Twist Master, I guess yours is the Shark Master?

Jim Pollock   H^^

Bill Little:
Hi Ken,

Pushing the tail moment back is a good thing.........  how much and do you change the tail volume?  How much of each I am not sure of.  I have seen the equations here for figuring all that out, but don't remember them.

A classic example is the "Fancherised Twister".  But how Ted came up w/the numbers, I really don't know.  I steal a lot of stuff, and ain't ashamed to admit it!  Those guys know more about that stuff than I do! **)

A *little* help here designer guys! ;D

Bill <><

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version