News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:32:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tail moment and tail volume  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Tail moment and tail volume
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
I'm building a modified Ringmaster (different wing) that will have a shorter tail moment than a stock RM if I don't lengthen the fuselage. Since the RM already has a short tail moment, would it be a good idea to lengthen the fuse to get back at least to original moment or possibly longer? From what I've read this helps both turning AND stability in level flight. Also does the stab/elevator area need to be changed to compensate for greater tail moment?

thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
Re: Tail moment and tail volume
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »
Ken,

I would keep the proportions at least similar to the original RM.  If the wing is larger than the original, then I would probably lengthen the moment to the Stab/Elevator a bit.  Why the need to re-invent the venerable Ring Master anyway?  ???

Jim Pollock  H^^

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 06:12:08 PM »
Not trying to reinvent, it's just that I have an S-1A fuselage without the matching wing and a Shark 402 wing kit without the matching fuse. Thought they might make a good couple since thicker wings are supposed to fly better at 5000' and a scratch built RM wing is a little beyond my current building skills.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 06:33:21 PM »
Sounds logical for a 5000 ft. Altitude.

Bob Reeves has the Twist Master, I guess yours is the Shark Master?

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 03:54:57 PM »
Hi Ken,

Pushing the tail moment back is a good thing.........  how much and do you change the tail volume?  How much of each I am not sure of.  I have seen the equations here for figuring all that out, but don't remember them.

A classic example is the "Fancherised Twister".  But how Ted came up w/the numbers, I really don't know.  I steal a lot of stuff, and ain't ashamed to admit it!  Those guys know more about that stuff than I do! **)

A *little* help here designer guys! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:39:04 PM »
no no Bill, its not "stealing" - that gets you put in jail.  Its REVERSE ENGINEERING - that gets you promoted at work.

Ken: I would lobby for the longest tail moment I could get from the existing wood pile.  Sounds like you are using an S-1A fuselage and have to recut the wing opening?

* If the new wing is narrower then line up the new wing at the old leading edge position, and let the tail moment grow.

* If the new wing is wider than the old then line up the trailing edge and let the nose get shorter.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
Sounds logical for a 5000 ft. Altitude.

Bob Reeves has the Twist Master, I guess yours is the Shark Master?

Jim Pollock   H^^

After 7 years, flying that airplane is still the most fun I have ever had in CL.. Now thinking about a TwistStreak with a Saito 30  ;D

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 07:14:12 PM »
The Streak with a much longer stabilizer span is a delight.  We call it the "Doodle Streak" because Bill Netzband came up with the concept of a model with higher aspect ratio than the wing.  I asked him to figure the size for the new tail, he did and it works a treat!  The fuselage is left stock as is the wing. 

For the Saito 30 I needed to shorten the nose 3/4" and put the tank on the inside of the nose.  That worked fantastic, as the engine becomes sensitive to speed without sensitivity to fuel draw.  Send it off dead lean, it richens up in level flight, but leans back out in maneuvers.  My famous 8/4/8 break!  Ask Proparc about this.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here