News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:51:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stunt ship design - "the numbers"  (Read 15091 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Stunt ship design - "the numbers"
« on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:14 AM »
Guys,
I am interested in hearing what are the basic stunt ship design "numbers", which I assume all go back to the Nobler. I'd like to here what different designer/modifiers think each one affects and what impact is expected by changing them, how much change is needed to see an impact.

For example, tail moment length - generally measured flap hinge line to elevator hinge line, affects stability and rate of turn; shortening will increase the rate of turn which tightens corners but also reduce the stability by reducing the tail volume coef.; lengthening slows rate of turn, opens corners but adds smoothness. Changes by >5% significant.

Best,           DennisT

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Stunt ship design - "the numbers"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »
Guys,
I am interested in hearing what are the basic stunt ship design "numbers", which I assume all go back to the Nobler. I'd like to here what different designer/modifiers think each one affects and what impact is expected by changing them, how much change is needed to see an impact.

For example, tail moment length - generally measured flap hinge line to elevator hinge line, affects stability and rate of turn; shortening will increase the rate of turn which tightens corners but also reduce the stability by reducing the tail volume coef.; lengthening slows rate of turn, opens corners but adds smoothness. Changes by >5% significant.

I think the question is a little too broad to be answered easily - but I would strongly recommend the Imitation article where all the various factors are extensively discussed. I would also note that the airplane itself is about as good as they come - just about everything we have done around here since then has been trying to reproduce the performance of the Imitation with a full fuselage. About the only thing that has consequentially changed since then is the thin low-aspect ratio tail.

If you don't believe me, check David's WC airplane - aerodynamically it's *extremely similar* to the Imitation. Of course it has a piped 75 instead of a wimpy little ST46 but otherwise pretty close.

Brett

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:17:04 PM »
Is that the article " Designing the imitation ? "

Ive read that - Very concise.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:33:12 PM »
Is that the article " Designing the imitation ? "

Ive read that - Very concise.

Yep.   I cannot remember off hand how many issues of Model Aviation the whole article spanned, at least two, maybe three. ???

I have the original magazines, but actually printed out all of the articles just to have them in one place! LOL!!

I have put off building an Imitation for close to 20 years or more, simply because I can't decide whether to build it as the "profile" or make it a full fuselage like Brett did once.

Now I am leaning to building it as the article was written but using an OS .40VF and pipe!  :o

And I only have one set of cores.......... LOL!!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:59:04 AM »
Claus Maikis has an article on Numbers on his site:
http://www.clacro.de/Seite_numbers.htm

His table of comparisons is in Metric, though.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:15:59 AM »
here is my number --ONE! :!
AMA 12366

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:55:44 PM »
Soo,

Dave's T-Gazer has a lot of Imitation in it?  Also,  Brett built a Imitation X/L which I believe is a direct relative of the Infinity?
That right Brett????  Sooo, if you build a plane based on the Imitation you can't go wrong, I think??

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 03:08:40 PM »

Generally but probably not properly: aerodynamics guys are almost certainly going to want to measure this stuff from the mean aerodynamic center (MAC) of the wing, not the (fairly arbitrary) flap hinge line.  The only airplane population I see that measures things from LE to LE, or hingeline to hingeline, etc., is control line, and control line stunt specifically.  The rule of thumb when you're marching to a different drummer: either you're smarter than the entire rest of the world, you're dumber but you think you're smarter, or you're making a mountain out of a molehill.  Only one of the choices is the correct one*.

I'm going to go read me the Imitation article, at least if I have MA going back to '79 (I think I do).

* I march to a different drummer, but it's 'cause I'm smarter.  I think :).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:12:32 PM by Tim Wescott »
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:33:23 AM »
Tim,
I agree that the proper measurement is from the MAC of each surface but for our purpose the H to H is an easy way to keep track and check the effect of moment changes. We co the same with the nose moment measuring it from the LE of the wing.

I read through the "Intimidation" article but still would like someone (like Ted) to give us a list of "Stunt Ship Design Numbers" and what a change would normally be expected. The Intimidation article did indicate that changing nose moment length had no "feelable" impact, I would have thought that as you increase the nose moment it would slow the turn as the weight is further away from the CG but it seems that if the CG is in the same place (and the tail weight is the same) the moment for say a lighter engine with 1/2" longer nose moment is the same as a heavy engine with a corresponding shorter moment. Other numbers would be interesting to see like tail %, flap %, wing aspect ratio, etc.

Best,           DennisT

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
I agree that the proper measurement is from the MAC of each surface but for our purpose the H to H is an easy way to keep track and check the effect of moment changes. We co the same with the nose moment measuring it from the LE of the wing.

...The Intimidation article did indicate that changing nose moment length had no "feelable" impact, I would have thought that as you increase the nose moment it would slow the turn as the weight is further away from the CG but it seems that if the CG is in the same place (and the tail weight is the same) the moment for say a lighter engine with 1/2" longer nose moment is the same as a heavy engine with a corresponding shorter moment.

I've posted my hinge-hinge opinion in the other thread. While it may not always be noticable, still as you surmised, two models that are indentical, except for engine weight and placement will accelerate into turns at different rates. I think assertions to the contrary come from experiences with planes that are not otherwise identical after significant changes of this kind. While they may balance the same with lighter engines placed further forward and heavier engines moved aft from the c.g., the engine/prop/tank contributions to the the moment of inertia, which governs angular acceleration, are different. The moment of inertia varies as the square of the distance from the c.g., while the nose "moment" contribution varies linearly with both the distance the mass.

For example, nose moment contributions of a 6-oz Fox placed 9 inches ahead of the c.g. is 54 in-oz. That is the same as a 9-oz engine placed 6 inches forward. However the moment of inertia contributed by the Fox is a constant times 6 x 92 = 486k, while the 9-oz engine's contribution is k x 9 x 62 = 324k. These are quite different, with the heavier engine actually enjoying a turn entry/exit advantage - unless you want the pitch change retarded or a greater handle deflection.

Also, as pointed out elsewhere, not measuring the nose moment from the c.g. has caused some published planes to have greater nose moments (and even greater inertial moments) than intended, due to use of shaft extentions on lighter engines like the Fox. Published efforts to reduce nose heaviness have actually increased it. Fortunately, we usually only address balance, and that usually can only be designed in with each heavy item in a certain place. If you need to compute how long to make the nose in order for the c.g. to be placed correctly though, then you need to use the distance from these items to the c.g. and nowhere else.

SK

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
There are things that have physical significance and things that are easy to measure.  Richard Feynman told a story about a textbook (as I remember) that gave the temperatures of different stars and had an exercise that asked the student to add the temperatures.  That's something one could do, but it has no physical significance.  These "numbers" seem to be measurable, but don't mean much when comparing different designs.  Easy-to-measure stuff can be useful.  A bunch of guys here fly the same design and compare CGs measured as the distance forward of the flap hinge.  That's OK for qualitatively comparing CGs on the same airplane, but can't be used to calculate anything directly, nor to compare with another design. 

I don't think "nose moment", whatever that is, has any physical significance, except maybe for fitting an airplane in my car.  The distance from the prop to the CG or MAC might mean something for the moment caused by prop forces normal to the flow.  For mass properties, though, do as Serge said.  To change engines and keep the same CG, for example, just have the sum of moments about that CG = 0.  It's like a teeter totter.  I'll do that for my electric airplane as soon as I get all the claptrap to weigh and find the CG of.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »
Serge,

The Imitation was really a pretty good pragmatic testbed for stuff like this.  If you'll recall, I made spacers to fit between the firewall and the RC engine mount specifically to allow lighter engines to be moved further from the CG than heavier ones.  The net result was an airplane that flew very competitively with a variety of engines of very different weights.  The difference in response from one to the other seemed mostly based on the performance of the engine (lighter engines were generally less powerful than their more robust brethren).

Having said that, however, there is no question in my mind that my favorite combination was with no spacers and the Enya .46 4S on the front end.  This was the last engine I personally flew the airplane with and it was an absolute blast.  You could fly patterns of whatever size you wanted with it, including ~60 degree verticals and hourglasses.  Response was very predictable and the turns would stop wherever you desired with no "hop".  Perhaps your Moment of Inertia at work, yes?

The Enya was the only engine that I used that didn't require a spacer to get the CG in the "desirable" range.

FWIW, the airplane I won the Walker Cup with in 1986 (the Excitation V) was designed specifically for the Enya with a nose shortened to account for the greater weight but, for reasons not worth expanding on here, I ultimately went back to a Tiger .46 (plus several oz of lead in the nose to account for the lighter weight--passing through an OS .46 FSR on the way) for the win in Lake Charles.  The nose of that airplane was about an inch and a half shorter than its predecessor which was designed for the Tiger from the get-go.  It was obviously a very good airplane with the short nose.

Don't know if any of the above "proves" anything other than proper trimming makes a variety of configurations do pretty good tricks.

Ted

p.s.  Here's a question for you guys that can quantify such stuff.  Is there anything to be gained by investigating the arm between the Aerodynamic Centers of the wing and tail with respect to the pitching moment developed by deflecting the flaps?   I know from real world experiments (adding flaps to a well used Dick Mathis Coyote) that the pitching moment is very real and retards pitch response compared to the identical airplane without the flaps.

Offline Damian_Sheehy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »
<snip>
  I know from real world experiments (adding flaps to a well used Dick Mathis Coyote) that the pitching moment is very real and retards pitch response compared to the identical airplane without the flaps.

Reading this makes me wonder if anyone ever tried combined LE and TE flap arrangement on a slimmer airfoil. This would help distribute camber more uniformly across the section. Properly balanced it may help keep pitching moment relatively constant at the quarter chord point when the flaps are deflected. Of course, this is much easier said than engineered/perfected.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:35 PM »
I bought the 1969 MAN magazines several years ago. Last night I asked my computer guru(my wife) to show me how to use a spread sheet. Of course her answer was you have to have some info to put in it. The '69 Man mags have the critical dimensions for several of the all time stunters so thats what I used for data. Three different Noblers, Magnum, Super Master and the Stingray. Its amazing that in many ways these planes are very similar. My question is, If these critical dimensions were "averaged" for , lets say 20 airframes of similar size do think the "offspring" would be as good? Also curious about some of the more recent 35-40 size airframes, which would you include in this experiment?

Thanks
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »
The '69 Man mags have the critical dimensions for several of the all time stunters so thats what I used for data. Three different Noblers, Magnum, Super Master and the Stingray.

It's still going to come out about the same way, but I wouldn't bother comparing designs from 40 years ago. I can summarize it for you - there have been about two consequential changes aerodynamically - larger tail volume and thicker airfoils. For all intents and purposes there isn't a lot more to know about it, in the gross sense, than there was in the Imitation article.

The other differences have been differences in *detail* that are extremely important but won't show up in a spreadsheet about tail moment, airfoil dimensions, and wingspans, etc. Reasonably close control geometry, for instance, sealed hinge lines, stuff like that. Getting rid of 1/16" of rudder offset is *far more important* than switching from a 20% airfoil to a 25% airfoil.

The other factor that you won't get from that sort of "numbers" analysis is the absolutely transformational improvement in the engines. That entirely trumps anything you are likely to learn about aerodynamics. And it has made a huge improvement in the tolerance for off-nominal aerodynamics.

I would limit any sort of study to the three most successful airplanes of the last 25 years - Impact, Trivial Pursuit, SV-11 and derivatives. There's no point in looking at Noblers and Stingrays, we know that there is something better. 

Brett

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »
If you averaged the colors of 20 successful modern cars, would you have come up with a good car?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
Sure as long as it was a FORD !!
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
or if the color is red.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 03:07:01 PM »
       I would limit any sort of study to the three most successful airplanes of the last 25 years - Impact, Trivial Pursuit, SV-11 and derivatives.
   Brett

And Patternmaster!! Big Jim deserves to be right at the very top.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »
The four airframes( Impact, Trival Pursuit, SV-11 and Patternmaster), do the all have a common engine size, or maybe wing area fairly close? I don't want to compare .40 size to .60 size, you know that apple to oranges thing.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 04:13:36 PM »
And Patternmaster!! Big Jim deserves to be right at the very top.

I haven't seen a lot of people being competitive with Patternmasters aside from Baron and Windy, and that was a while ago. Certainly haven't had the success of the TP and Impact. It's sort of the last of the old-style designs.

Brett

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 07:51:58 PM »
Can someone provide me with the following measurements for the Trivial Pursuit, Impact and SV-11:
Span
Area
Weight(range)
Nose moment
Tail moment
  Is there any other dimension that might be critical?

Thanks Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Damian_Sheehy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
<snip>

Thanks Steve

Yes, Tail Volume Coefficient  (though it's actually non dimensional)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
Damien,
 definitely need tail volume

Thanks Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
Can someone provide me with the following measurements for the Trivial Pursuit, Impact and SV-11:
Span
Area
Weight(range)
Nose moment
Tail moment

Thanks Steve

Steve the SV is 10 in nose, 17.5 tail the way stunt fliers measure
60.5 inch span with 670 sq in.
mine weigh typical 58 to 62, others build them at 64 to 66 average.
The SV-11 is a thinner airfoil than the TP or Impact but will still carry 75 ounces and fly very well
The SV I believe is smaller than an Impact and just a bit larger than a TP

I think the Impact is about 690 Sq In  and  the TP is  about 655 sq in. others will correct this if wrong, All of the 3 are very close in size

Regards
Randy

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »
  Thanks Randy
Anyone want to add or change anything ?

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »
Span
Area
Weight(range)
Nose moment
Tail moment

A few thousand, maybe.  Despite 60 years of stunt tradition, I don't think this approach will lead anywhere.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
A few thousand, maybe.  Despite 60 years of stunt tradition, I don't think this approach will lead anywhere.

Your right Howard it won't. Stunt ships are sooo highly developed for a particular individual needs, that, there is no getting around having to roll your proverbial sleeves up and learn the fundamentals.

You could average ALL of the best stunt ships current or past stunt build it and still puke on the results, simply because you don't like it. That is what’s' so neat about this sport as opposed to say F3A. You can't just buy a good result.

There is a certain genius about this sport that almost forces you to figure out just exactly what it is you need. You are forced into engineering freedom whether you like it or not LOL.

That said, I admire Stuntguy13’s attempt to get to grips with what’s up with these things. Not everybody has an extensive stunt library that they can readily access. It is important to remember that many years ago, a hell of a lot of guys jumped on the Nobler “numbers” until they figured out just what they wanted.

To answer your initial question specifically, I would advise Stuntguy13 to order a bunch of stunt plans and study them, if you want to get to grips quickly with the "numbers". Just remember, ultimately, you will have to learn the “why” behind the numbers or you will not know what to change!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:59:24 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
Maybe its best to simply talk to someone who has done all of this before, someone who has stuck to the one style of model (and is up to version 8 or something) but his style of flying must matches yours.

There is a very good flier in my club that has done this and he still has the original figures on his plan that is only modified by markings like "+5" and a date.

That and a multi function take apart model can be built to give you options on numbers very easily.
Tail too large? Bolt a smaller one in place etc.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »
  So I suppose the real challenge is to get to where you are flying a specific airframe to the best of YOUR ability.Then look at what part of the pattern you're not happy with and make changes to your setup or airframe. Is it safe to assume that every change for the better in one area could negatively affect another manuever in the pattern? Well this little exercise in spreadsheets just turned into the quest for the Holy Grail.
   So is anyone flying an absolutely STOCK airframe in expert, or does everyone tweak some dimensions to their personal flying style? I'd be curious to measure all the Impacts or Sv11, Trivial Pursuits to see how much they vary from each other.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »
HI Steve,

I surely do not know if anyone really tweaks the basic design, but then some of the guys who fly Impacts, Trivial Pursuits, SVa, etc., are the actual guys who designed them. ;D

Ted has made many "tweaks" to his Trivial Pursuit.  Paul the same with his Impact, Randy with his SVs, Billy with his Geo Bolts, etc., but just how much and to what extent is only to be answered by them.  And some might only be for a mental security blanket. ;D

I believe it is a safe statement that most any of the top level designs will fly better than 99% of us can fly them, if left box stock and built correctly.  The vast majority of success comes from building the model straight, proper alignment, and trimmed to suit the individual pilot.  Trimming a "straight" plane is maybe the most important part of the whole equation.  If the plane is built with some flaw, then trimming will only take it so far.  Any of the top pilots can take any of the top planes and with some trimming fly them at the highest levels, IMHO.  Trimming ability and tons of practice using correct techniques is the key.  A talented coach is basically a must.  Of course, the higher the "innate talent level" of the pilot, the easier the whole process is. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »
Guys,
I hear what is being said and I agree with Bill that straight and of the correct weight is 98% of the battle if you are flying an existing proven design. However, part of the "fun" in stunt is feeding our ego by thinking we can find something the other guy doesn't have. So enter the "kit basher" or the original designer. Stunt is one of the last great "cut and try" events and "tweeking" is the tool. So the question that has not been addressed is "cause and effect" of a change. Let's say you take the one of the three ships that Brett spoke of (the Impact, TP, SV 11) as a base design.

Lets also say that most "tweaks" will be to the common easy to change components - nose moment; tail moment; tail volume; wing tip shape, flap% of wing area; flap length (full or partial) and control ratio's. There are other areas that the original designer might change - airfoil thickness and area, as well as shape but for now lets do the simple to get to ones.

So far there has be one area that has been discussed and that is the nose moment length - for the most part as long as it is adjusted to maintain the same CG location the general agreement is it has minimal impact (no pun intended).

What we need is the "rest of the story". So how about it Brett, Ted and Randy, what would be the generally expected reaction to changing each of the other components?

Best,      DennisT

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
   I'd also like to hear about what "FEEL" the top pilots are looking for. I'm sure they all have something that tells them a new airframe is close to being trimmed right off the board. I know the basics, wings level in normal and inverted flight, good line tension( haven't tried any overheads so for me level flight) good glide after engine stops. I'm sure with time I'll get more feedback during a flight, just curious what the top pilots look for.

Thanks
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 03:53:39 PM »
( haven't tried any overheads so for me level flight)
You should -- a wingover is easier than a loop, if the plane maintains line tension and the engine doesn't quit.

Just sneak up on it -- start by climbing up to 45 degrees and back down over the course of 1/2 circle.  Then try 50 or 55 degrees.  Then 60, etc.  Each one is a bit more challenging for you and the plane, but you're never committing to that straight overhead until you've already figured out what's going to happen lower down.  If you find that at 75 degrees or whatever that the controls are getting uncomfortably soft -- stop trying wingovers for that flight.  Just noodle around for the rest of the flight, then adjust your leadouts when you land and try again.

(If the engine does quit when you're overhead run backwards like hell while gently applying up elevator.  This will often save the plane, and if it doesn't you'll at least look like you were trying).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »
Running backwards like hell is how i lost my Tutor II, stepped in a groubdhog hole. When I fell I managed to save the plane, but trying to get up it went in nose first. At least this year I have more than one plane ready . i also have a kit about ready to cover and the Tutor to rebuild. Not to mention half dozen or so different combat planes to finish or build.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
Lets also say that most "tweaks" will be to the common easy to change components - nose moment; tail moment; tail volume; wing tip shape, flap% of wing area; flap length (full or partial) and control ratio's. There are other areas that the original designer might change - airfoil thickness and area, as well as shape but for now lets do the simple to get to ones.

As I said before, these "numbers" aren't of much value.  You can measure them, but they don't mean much.  The width of a car door, for example, might be some indication of wheelbase, but not necessarily.  Nevertheless, I'll try to give you qualitative answers both in aero talk and in what phenomena to expect.  Qualitative answers is all you'll get from anybody except Serge, because we either are too lazy to give quantitative answers or we don't know how.

"Nose moment" is unknown in the aeronautical literature, but I'll guess that stunt fliers define it as the distance from the propeller to somewhere else on the airplane.  I may have found its origin: a simplification of moment of inertia that Wild Bill made in an article on stunt design.  This has a bunch of effects, each of which should be covered separately.  You ain't changing just one variable.  

1. The farther forward the engine (or any other mass) moves in the airplane, the farther forward the CG will be if nothing is done aft of the CG to balance it.  Moving the CG forward increases static stability in pitch and yaw.  Moving the CG forward requires moving the leadouts forward to keep the same yaw angle relative to a tangent on the circle.  Moving the CG forward will reduce the effects of bad stuff in your airplane: control friction, control slop, other causes of hunting.  Moving the CG forward could make it easier to fly level on a calm day, but on a windy day the airplane will climb going upwind and dive going downwind.  Moving the CG forward will require more elevator deflection for a given turn radius-- maybe more than is available.   Moving the CG forward will increase control surface hinge moment for a given turn radius.  Increased hinge moment makes the airplane harder to fly accurately if there is turbulence or if the airplane is mistrimmed: differences in line tension result in more varied control surface deflection.  

2. The farther forward the engine (or any other mass) moves away from the CG (including moving the engine forward and adding weight to the tail to balance it), the higher the moment of inertia is about the affected axes.  Moving the engine forward affects the pitch and yaw axes.  In pitch, the higher the moment of inertia, the lower the static stability.  Pitch damping will be reduced.  The higher the moment of inertia, the more elevator it takes to get the airplane rotating and the more it takes in the opposite direction to stop the rotation.  The higher the moment of inertia, the harder it is to avoid pitch and yaw oscillations.  

3.  Moving the propeller forward does not increase the gyroscopic effect of the rotating crankshaft and propeller.  

4. Moving the propeller forward increases the effects of the propeller being at an angle to the airflow.  

5. Moving the propeller forward gives a tad of effective engine offset.  

6.  Moving the engine mass forward changes the resonant frequency of the nose, and can exacerbate or quell vibration modes.  Ax me about B-17 stunter engine resonances, a subject my ignorance of which was exposed multiple times.

"Tail moment" is unknown in the aeronautical literature, but I'll guess that stunt fliers define it as the distance between flap and elevator hinge lines, maybe at the airplane center if one is swept.  It's sort of a race among the aerodynamic, elasticity, and mass effects of the tail length.  I actually wrote stuff on this here on this very forum, but nobody read it.  This isn't surprising, because hardly anybody read aerodynamic stuff I got paid a lot of money to write.  Here is a combination of a couple of posts:

1. The effect of downwash: the more lift, the more downwash.  Downwash is destabilizing: you put in a little up elevator, and the downwash acts as even more up elevator. Longer tails make this better.

2. Pitching moment due to pitch rate.  This is caused by the change of angle of attack on the tail because of the air being round in a loop, rather than flat in level flight and maybe from the change in direction of the wind on the tail from airplane rotation.  The longer the tail, the more negative pitching moment due to pitch rate is, hence the more stable the airplane is.  Longer tails make this better.

3. Pitching moment due to rate of change of angle of attack.  The tail contribution to this is maybe (according to Etkin) due to the time between when the wing starts making downwash and the downwash gets to the tail.  I would reckon that this effect would make the airplane worse as tail length increases, but I don't know.  

4. Contribution of pressure distribution on the tail to pressure distribution on the wing.  An elevator hinged at the trailing edge of the wing acts as a flap going the wrong way, limiting the lift capability of the wing.  Longer tails make this better, but may not have to be very long to make this evil go away.  Maybe that's why the later, balanced-elevator Fierce Arrows fly better than the original.

5. Tail lift fighting wing lift.  The longer the tail, the less it has to push down to rotate the airplane to the requisite angle of attack, hence the higher net airplane lift capability.  Also, given the stabilizing effects of a longer tail, a longer tail lets you get away with a farther aft CG, hence even less force required of the tail.  Longer tails make this better.

6. Structure and pushrod weight.  Weight goes up fast as tails get longer, particularly if the airplane is designed to withstand indignities such as hitting the ground.  Pushrods get fatter to maintain stiffness.  Longer tails make this worse.

7. Pitch moment of inertial (barbell effect).  Longer tails make this worse, although the leverage of longer tails helps them get the airplane rotating.

8. Ground handling (fitting into cars and shipping boxes). Longer tails make this worse.

9. Reduction in dynamic pressure at the tail due to wing "wake".  Serge read something that Martin Simons wrote saying this is a big deal.  It's not.  Here is something quantitative: http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/1939/naca-report-648.pdf  

10. Sensitivity to CG position.  The stabilizing effect of a longer (and larger) tail let you get away with a wider CG range.  Longer tails make this better.

I had some of this stuff in mind when I came up with the Nemesis II combat plane as a kid.  It had a way-longer tail than its contemporaries.  I think the main things I had in mind were items 1., 4., 5.,  and 10. above.  I found 1. in a library.  I knew about 4. and 10. from a flying wing I made, which sucked.

I persisted in having longer-tailed combat planes than most.  A Dane was teasing me about my Snort having a long, vulnerable tail at the 1990 world champs.  He said he would cut it off.  I thought that would be difficult for him to do with the Snort behind his plane nibbling his streamer.  

"Tail volume" is an actual aeronautical term, but doesn't include some easy-to-include stuff that contributes to its aerodynamic effect-- wing and tail lift curve slopes that are functions of wing and tail aspect ratio, sweep, and taper-- nor some hard-to-include stuff such as 1. 4. and 9. in "tail moment" above.  Its effects are about the same as for 5., 7., and 10. in "tail moment" above, but it also gives credit for tail area.

Wing tip shape doesn't do much.  Flite Streak tips might work a little better in lift and drag, but I'll bet you can't feel the difference.  They will adversely affect rolling moment due to sideslip, the effect of which is to narrow the region of the circle in which your maneuvers will come out right in the wind.

The more flap span / wing span you have,

1. The tighter the plane will turn, or the more margin you have at a given turn radius, assuming that there's enough elevator.

2. The less hinge moment you'll get for a given turn radius.  See the deliterious effect of hinge moment in "nose moment" above.

3. The more prone the wing tips will be to stalling.

4. The potential for perversions from discontinuity at the end of the flap changes.  It's most at maybe 80% span, but I don't know.

5. The more poop you'll need from the elevator.

6. Wing tip vortices and their effects for a given turn radius will not change.

7. The heavier your flap and wing structure will need to be (a simplification: ask PW to amplify it).

Flap chord  / wing chord is tougher (I separated your area thing into span and chord).  The more flap chord / wing chord you have,

1. The tighter the plane will turn, or the more margin you have at a given turn radius, assuming that there's enough elevator.  There is an upper limit to how much of this benefit you'll get before it's swamped by the negative stuff.

2. The more hinge moment you'll get for a given turn radius.  See the deliterious effect of hinge moment in "nose moment" above.

3. The potential for perversions from discontinuity at the end of the flap increases.

4. The more poop you'll need from the elevator.

5. Wing tip vortices and their effects for a given turn radius will not change.

6. The heavier your flap and wing structure will need to be (a simplification: ask PW to amplify it).

Control ratios of interest might be the flap / elevator ratio and the line displacement / control surface deflection ratio.  You can calculate both (and linearize them for your airplane, if that's what you want) from my Excel-VBA program.  Line tension difference due to hinge moment decreases with line displacement / control surface deflection ratio.  Rich Porter and Paul Walker have thought about this, to some benefit for at least one of them.  Increasing flap / elevator ratio:

1. Causes the airplane to rotate about a point farther back.

2. Will give less pitching moment for a given elevator deflection.  This will reduce maneuvering capability and eventually cause you to run out of elevator authority, limiting maneuvering capability

3. Is what you need to do when the CG moves aft.  

Flap / elevator ratio need not be constant.  See Igor's mechanism and the Beringers' elastic flaps, noting that both have been on the World Champs podium.  

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:34:43 AM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »
   I'd also like to hear about what "FEEL" the top pilots are looking for. I'm sure they all have something that tells them a new airframe is close to being trimmed right off the board. I know the basics, wings level in normal and inverted flight, good line tension( haven't tried any overheads so for me level flight) good glide after engine stops. I'm sure with time I'll get more feedback during a flight, just curious what the top pilots look for.

Thanks
Steve
Steve,  The ultimate "feel" I look for is when the airplane goes where you want it to go predictably and, most importantly, does so whether it is calm or blowing a gale.  If success in competition is your goal nothing is more important from the airframe perspective.  Powertrains certainly have a huge effect on this but no more so than airplane configuration and trim.  (i.e. a good pilot can fly a "good" pattern with a nose heavy airplane with a small tail in good air and he can fly a "good" pattern with a less than powerful engine/run or less than optimum propeller in that same good air; but he'll never fly a "great" pattern in good and bad air with either of them.

Ted Fancher

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
Thanks guys

As usual when I get answers to questions I end up with more questions. I'm going to let the answers soak in before asking any more

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
Span
Area
Weight(range)
Nose moment
Tail moment

Thanks Steve

yes,other info of value (IMHO)
flaps percentage of wing arrea
configuration of flaps area distribution
thickness and highpoint of the wing airfoil
radius of wing leading edge
thickness and airfoil of the stab
percentage of elevator to hori stab
rudder/aft fuse side area
wing sweep
wing taper
Tail measure from CG to hingeline( or more proper AC of tail
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 12:48:13 PM »
If you're an AMA member you can look at the "Imitation" article online -- Ted put a chart in there that seemed to cover just about everything that might impact the performance of the plane.

Go to the AMA website, sign in, find the "Model Aviation" archives, and search on "Imitation" -- you'll find the articles, and be able to read them.
AMA 64232

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »
yes,other info of value (IMHO)
flaps percentage of wing arrea
configuration of flaps area distribution
thickness and highpoint of the wing airfoil
radius of wing leading edge
thickness and airfoil of the stab
percentage of elevator to hori stab
rudder/aft fuse side area
wing sweep
wing taper
Tail measure from CG to hingeline( or more proper AC of tail

Yes, these are things you can measure, but they are inadequate to calculate much.  For example, LE radius, thickness, and "highpoint" of a hundred airfoils can be the same, yet some will be useful and some will suck.   It's aerodynamic phrenology.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »
True,,
I was merely trying to show there were more factors involved than the basic list, mine was neither exhaustive, complete, nor accurate apparently.
Your point is taken,, and the use of the word phrenology is most appropriate,,
Lacking proper mathematical background, my "design work " is primarily comparative rather than calculated
That's why I am glad we have you math guys around!
NOt sure why my post ended up so far down, I thought I had posted way early this morning, before you got yours in, how peculiar,, Yours of course is far more accurate so I withdraw my humble comments,, lol,,

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 06:13:32 AM »
In conclusion. After reading Howard. If you Roll Your Own, chances are skillful trimming will make it work. Like I have said elsewhere, a fellow I know has finished no.7 a few times. He flies something he thought up. The numbers (however you measure) and appearance are unique. Unique not too strong a term. It is a competitive design by definition.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »
Interesting how these general discussions of Stunt Design which happen periodically on this forum often overlook the in your face obvious. How do the "numbers" of the FAI winning planes compare with the typical conclusions some tend to reach with confidence. Sharks and the Berringer iterations are no evolved Impact, Imitation or Gieseke Nobler. Windy flew Patternmaster derivatives into top 5 until recently. Not that long ago. Contemporary to the Impacts. Funny also and ironic that a Super Tigre 60 set up by an American won the worlds this past year. Many folks where I fly still find the ole warhorse useful and competitive. Then there is the weather. The Pacific named Pacific for a reason by folks familiar with the oceans East and West. On the East Coast last weekend flying with some darn good fliers and designers in what the calendar calls Spring, there we were again, facing comically changeable wind conditions. No one did a pattern that was useful for perfecting the flying of the shapes. Good for laughs. Good fun. But no practice time that would lead to an incremental gaining of skills.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 10:55:44 AM »
I am very glad for one aspect of this hobby/sport.  The very best designers, who have developed the best designs are also very open with what they do.  They are, also, the very best pilots it always seems. (of course)  This can be two edged, a little bit, since there are different attributes that can be assigned to each one to a slight degree, both in the design and in the pilot's individual style.  Not much, usually, but it is there.  Then, there are little segments of pilots that like the same basic components of a certain design and then build "their" designs from that.  This is perfectly fine, no degradation of that concept, and has always been a part of what we do.  And it sure is easier to take a design and then "modify" it to your personal tastes, which can be a rapid development of one's "own" style.  Proven designs can be "made over" with out changing their qualities of flight if huge departures are not taken while doing so.

Take Vic Macaluso when he "returned" back in the early-mid '90s.  he came back with a SV 11 he built from one of Randy's kits.  He liked it so much he then redesigned his two, arguably most famous, personal designs from the early '70s using the SV 11 as the platform to build from.  His Crusader II and Tom Cat II sure don't "LOOK" like an SV 11 on the surface, but he used the moments, wing, and tail feathers straight from the SV 11 and got two great flying designs from it.

Bob Lampione used the Patternmaster to resurrect his "United" upon his return.  Same idea, it is a model that suited his tastes, and he has built several over the recent past using the different power trains that have been developed as they cam into vogue.  Being a somewhat LARGE plane, he is starting to move away to a smaller platform.

Bob Hunt told me YEARS ago (his favorite line!) to simply "change the clothes on the mannequin".  Take a proven design that looks like it suits you and with out modifying the basic moments and areas, redraw the "looks".  It is a proven method of "having your own model".  Of course, you need to be able to distinguish some basic design elements that affect the actual flying properties of the model you choose, and be aware of any design parameters that will affect the outcome.  Choosing a "Saturn" as the mannequin, but building it 10-15 ounces over the original "design weight", etc., might not yield a real successful model.  If you know you build heavy, then pick a model that will "carry the load".
Our own Randy Powell has successfully taken the "numbers" of different designs and developed awesome, and successful, "new" designs on more than one occasion, to use an example.  His design talents yield a model that he can truly "call his own".

My current (an now close to 15 years old! LOL!!) PAMPA class plane is a culmination of taking Bob's Saturn, and Billy's Juno and coming up with a plane that I liked the "looks" of.  The tail was extended about 1/2" on their recommendations, and the "profile view" was changed to mimic the Juno, along with the wing tips , and outlines of the tail shapes.  A small turtle deck and then it is a completely different "looking" model, but still a "Saturn, aerodynamically.  I can "call it my own", but it is nothing more than what hundreds did with the Nobler back in the early '60s.  I didn't do an ground shaking "new design".  Anyone can do what I did and have a model that will fly similar to the design it is based on, of course, if it is built with in the parameters of the original and constructed fairly straight.  It's one of the "standards" of the hobby to "modify" an existing design in the hopes of having something "different".  But, without having to spend years developing and building a series of models to finally come up with something that will fly a decent pattern.  We can let the really talented guys do that for us, and then reap the benefits. ;D

Aaron's first NATS plane was a merging of a set of foam wing cores we had and a set of plans for a successful model that gave him the "look" he liked.  The wing was very close to the plan, same basic size/area and very similar airfoil, and combined with the proven moments and lay out of the plans used yielded a very good flying model.  Something that has been done successfully countless times before by many others.

Of course, you can take a proven design, build it straight and close to what the original designer developed to be successful, and you will have a model that is only limited by your abilities to wiggle the handle.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 09:05:59 PM »
Bill, I agree with where you're going. It's the excellent fliers that design the excellent planes. Almost always is that way in the history of stunt. Palmer and Aldrich, Bob Hunt, Werwage, Fancher, Windy, Yatzenko brothers, Berringer, Randy Smith and many others. They build planes that suit their feel for the event. I think we have been thinking about this backwards. There is no single ideal design. Different designs have won and placed well at the recent NATs. Same is true for the Worlds. The history of winning stunt birdies shows a lot of variety. The numbers and approaches vary because the styles and preferences of the top fliers vary. The rest of the field picks and chooses from these possibilities. Some of this influenced no doubt by the folks they fly with. Which also makes sense. Since the skill and expertise has been developed via a familiarity with a certain design family. The coterie passes on that knowledge because it's what they know best.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »
Bill, I agree with where you're going. It's the excellent fliers that design the excellent planes. Almost always is that way in the history of stunt. Palmer and Aldrich, Bob Hunt, Werwage, Fancher, Windy, Yatzenko brothers, Berringer, Randy Smith and many others. They build planes that suit their feel for the event. I think we have been thinking about this backwards. There is no single ideal design. Different designs have won and placed well at the recent NATs. Same is true for the Worlds. The history of winning stunt birdies shows a lot of variety. The numbers and approaches vary because the styles and preferences of the top fliers vary. The rest of the field picks and chooses from these possibilities. Some of this influenced no doubt by the folks they fly with. Which also makes sense. Since the skill and expertise has been developed via a familiarity with a certain design family. The coterie passes on that knowledge because it's what they know best.

Excellent observation, Dennis.  This underscores comments by Brett and myself over the years that it isn't the design, per se, that makes the airplane and its pilot competitive.  It is the state of trim plus the competency of the powertrain aboard a fundamentally sound design that does the trick.  The best proof of concept I can think of is the wide variety of "significantly" different designs with which Bob Baron was competitive at the highest level.

Ted

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 01:08:52 PM »
Excellent observation, Dennis.  This underscores comments by Brett and myself over the years that it isn't the design, per se, that makes the airplane and its pilot competitive.  It is the state of trim plus the competency of the powertrain aboard a fundamentally sound design that does the trick.  The best proof of concept I can think of is the wide variety of "significantly" different designs with which Bob Baron was competitive at the highest level.

Precisely. And almost everything we do by way of design is to *correct problems that you found that could not be trimmed out* of the current design, or to *handle a powerplant or power settings that the current design can't accomodate*.

Brett

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
  So from a novice's perspective it would be best to pick a proven design that, 1) you like the look of, 2)the local flyers might have experience with. Then as your skills progress you can look at changes/modifications to better suit your flying habits/ style.

Steve

Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 02:52:02 PM »
  So from a novice's perspective it would be best to pick a proven design that, 1) you like the look of, 2)the local flyers might have experience with. Then as your skills progress you can look at changes/modifications to better suit your flying habits/ style.

That's what I did, except the changes and modifications didn't work out.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:09 PM »

Steve

Steve,

Exactly.  A "cooperative and sharing" top drawer flier in your area is a golden asset.  Learn all you can from him and only after you've a good grasp on what makes his stuff do things the way it does should you start to refine his operation to accomplish your personal convictions. Fliers in their vicinities have ready access to such expertise...and, in many cases, with demonstrably different fundamental approaches.  The bottom line is that tracking in the footsteps of these guys will instill great knowledge...not all of which you might ultimately find valid.  At which time you can most likely step out in a new direction in an informed fashion and discover new things from which we can all improve our understanding.

The beauty of the event today is that there pretty much aren't any secrets.  Instead of hiding refinements in the hotel room or under rags at the field, the guys that make things work right are pretty much competing with one another to share their opinions.  Not many competitive undertakings have such willingness to share.

Ted Fancher

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 07:43:52 AM »
I think the main reason for " share " of information is pretty simple...

Its not all about the equipment you use but the ability to fly it.

All things being equal. trim ect..
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
Steve,

Exactly.  A "cooperative and sharing" top drawer flier in your area is a golden asset.  Learn all you can from him and only after you've a good grasp on what makes his stuff do things the way it does should you start to refine his operation to accomplish your personal convictions. Fliers in their vicinities have ready access to such expertise..

It works even better when you have 3-4 top experts all working together.  I have the advantage of being part of one of the best collaborations of all times in this event. It worked so well that people still think we were/are cheating somehow.

Brett

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »
I think you all are very lucky.

I'd think I won the lottery if one of those " 3 - 4 " flew my plane and suggested a trim change that made it better. Or made a suggestion to my pattern that made it better..

I'm only asking for one of those - once in a lifetime.. - Couldn't imagine doing it week in week out..

I say well done.  ;D

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
I can attest to their amazingness.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »
I'm flat out Jealous... land in like Howard are awe of their amazingnessness

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »
Nice moment of agreement here. Thanks everybody.

In Philly we usually sit in our lawn chairs yelling at whoever just finished flying. Lots of contradictory opinions and advice. Intense free association. Expressed loud. Takes a few years to understand which of the old coots are making any sense. Somehow folks survive these acts of generosity and improve.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »
  The only C/L advice I get at my field is to fly R/C. So late last year one of the guys got me flying on a buddy box, now everybody is telling me I should fly Mode 2, not Mode 1.
 Several members offer advice which I gladly consider, several others offer opinions which I ignore.
  So besides Jack Sheeks, any "stunt gurus" close to Indy? Or am I going to have to move?

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2011, 01:26:44 AM »
The folks in Philly are actually very helpful. Just having a bit of fun. Dan Banjok, Mike Palko, Joe Adamusko, Jack Weston and many others have been invaluable to me. A great wealth of experience, accomplishment and expertise. So many issues occur as we fly control line. Our simple appearing birds are actually quite complicated.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2011, 10:13:52 AM »
  The only C/L advice I get at my field is to fly R/C. So late last year one of the guys got me flying on a buddy box, now everybody is telling me I should fly Mode 2, not Mode 1.
 Several members offer advice which I gladly consider, several others offer opinions which I ignore.
  So besides Jack Sheeks, any "stunt gurus" close to Indy? Or am I going to have to move?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Jim Vornholt (NATS Junior Champ in the early '60s) is there, and I know there are a few more like Clancy Arnold, etc..  The meet, somewhere, fairly regularly I understand.  Are you a PAMPA member?  The Members Guide is a great resource, and Stunt News is a great CLPA "magazine"!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
  I'm not a Pampa member, other than the NATS the central Indy area is barren of contests that I know of. I work many weekends so contest flying hasn't really been thought about. I know Clancy and have been to one of their meetings at Jack's house. Opposite side of town, and my early work hours hamper me from that club. I belong to the Plainfield Screaming Eagles R/C club, they do have one grass circle. Several members are past c/l fliers and have been very supportive.The current rumor at our club is some past c/l members are coming back, don't know their names.
  Sorry I change the direction of this thread.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here