News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:12:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stunt ship design - "the numbers"  (Read 15110 times)

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Stunt ship design - "the numbers"
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:09 PM »
  So from a novice's perspective it would be best to pick a proven design that, 1) you like the look of, 2)the local flyers might have experience with. Then as your skills progress you can look at changes/modifications to better suit your flying habits/ style.

Steve

Steve,

Exactly.  A "cooperative and sharing" top drawer flier in your area is a golden asset.  Learn all you can from him and only after you've a good grasp on what makes his stuff do things the way it does should you start to refine his operation to accomplish your personal convictions. Fliers in their vicinities have ready access to such expertise...and, in many cases, with demonstrably different fundamental approaches.  The bottom line is that tracking in the footsteps of these guys will instill great knowledge...not all of which you might ultimately find valid.  At which time you can most likely step out in a new direction in an informed fashion and discover new things from which we can all improve our understanding.

The beauty of the event today is that there pretty much aren't any secrets.  Instead of hiding refinements in the hotel room or under rags at the field, the guys that make things work right are pretty much competing with one another to share their opinions.  Not many competitive undertakings have such willingness to share.

Ted Fancher

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 07:43:52 AM »
I think the main reason for " share " of information is pretty simple...

Its not all about the equipment you use but the ability to fly it.

All things being equal. trim ect..
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 12:59:16 PM »
Steve,

Exactly.  A "cooperative and sharing" top drawer flier in your area is a golden asset.  Learn all you can from him and only after you've a good grasp on what makes his stuff do things the way it does should you start to refine his operation to accomplish your personal convictions. Fliers in their vicinities have ready access to such expertise..

It works even better when you have 3-4 top experts all working together.  I have the advantage of being part of one of the best collaborations of all times in this event. It worked so well that people still think we were/are cheating somehow.

Brett

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »
I think you all are very lucky.

I'd think I won the lottery if one of those " 3 - 4 " flew my plane and suggested a trim change that made it better. Or made a suggestion to my pattern that made it better..

I'm only asking for one of those - once in a lifetime.. - Couldn't imagine doing it week in week out..

I say well done.  ;D
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
I can attest to their amazingness.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »
I'm flat out Jealous... land in like Howard are awe of their amazingnessness

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »
Nice moment of agreement here. Thanks everybody.

In Philly we usually sit in our lawn chairs yelling at whoever just finished flying. Lots of contradictory opinions and advice. Intense free association. Expressed loud. Takes a few years to understand which of the old coots are making any sense. Somehow folks survive these acts of generosity and improve.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »
  The only C/L advice I get at my field is to fly R/C. So late last year one of the guys got me flying on a buddy box, now everybody is telling me I should fly Mode 2, not Mode 1.
 Several members offer advice which I gladly consider, several others offer opinions which I ignore.
  So besides Jack Sheeks, any "stunt gurus" close to Indy? Or am I going to have to move?

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2011, 01:26:44 AM »
The folks in Philly are actually very helpful. Just having a bit of fun. Dan Banjok, Mike Palko, Joe Adamusko, Jack Weston and many others have been invaluable to me. A great wealth of experience, accomplishment and expertise. So many issues occur as we fly control line. Our simple appearing birds are actually quite complicated.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2011, 10:13:52 AM »
  The only C/L advice I get at my field is to fly R/C. So late last year one of the guys got me flying on a buddy box, now everybody is telling me I should fly Mode 2, not Mode 1.
 Several members offer advice which I gladly consider, several others offer opinions which I ignore.
  So besides Jack Sheeks, any "stunt gurus" close to Indy? Or am I going to have to move?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Jim Vornholt (NATS Junior Champ in the early '60s) is there, and I know there are a few more like Clancy Arnold, etc..  The meet, somewhere, fairly regularly I understand.  Are you a PAMPA member?  The Members Guide is a great resource, and Stunt News is a great CLPA "magazine"!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
  I'm not a Pampa member, other than the NATS the central Indy area is barren of contests that I know of. I work many weekends so contest flying hasn't really been thought about. I know Clancy and have been to one of their meetings at Jack's house. Opposite side of town, and my early work hours hamper me from that club. I belong to the Plainfield Screaming Eagles R/C club, they do have one grass circle. Several members are past c/l fliers and have been very supportive.The current rumor at our club is some past c/l members are coming back, don't know their names.
  Sorry I change the direction of this thread.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here