News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SPEAKING OF CROSSOVER'S BOB HUNT...tell us more about this beauty?  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
AGAIN...
While digging through those old magazines..I RAN ACROSS BOB HUNT'S CROSS FIRE that I came SOOOOOOOO CLOSE TO BEGGING BOB TO SEND ME PLANS, THAT INCLUDED HIS  MATCHING BOB HUNT FOAM WING THAT ARE JUST PLAIN MASTERPIECES IN THEM SELVES.

BOB, IF YOU ARE LURKING...tell me more about this amazingly beautiful CROSSFIRE.
[/shadow]that was attached to DEAN PAPPAS C/L Stunt's new Tune article in the May 1990 issue of FM?!
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: SPEAKING OF CROSSOVER'S BOB HUNT...tell us more about this beauty?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
RANDY POWELL...IN CASE YOU ARE ALSO LURKING?Didn't you also have an AWESOME LOOKING CLPA model that kinda reminds me of this beautiful Tuned pipe CROSSFIRE?
Don Shultz

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:13:32 PM »
Hi Don:

The Crossfire was the first model I built when I returned to Stunt flying after a long sabbatical. I flew a lot of RC Pattern between 1982 and 1986 and learned a lot about trimming without lines attached and the benefits of a rudder! I decided to build the Crossfire around the very successful Genesis 40 wing that I used in my 1980 WC and Nats ship. That model flew very well and placed second at the World Championships and at the Nats that year behind that pesky McDonald guy....

The Crossfire actually had two lives: It was finished in a hurry to allow me to attend the 1987 Nats in Lincoln, Nebraska. I rushed everything on that model and it turned out a bit on the heavy side. It flew very well in spite of the extra weight and it turned absolutely equal in both directions. It had very good traits and that prompted me to bite the bullet and refinish it for the 1990 Nats. I removed 8 ounces! And, the second finish was much better than the first, garnering me a front row appearance point spot! The first finish was done using the copper/bronze color that I'm infamous for as the main trim color. During the refinish I switched to the darker and more rich looking metallic (Cadillac Firemist) brown. That color had a lot of red tones in it and the color changed significantly depending on what angle to the sun it was viewed from. It was probably my best finished model.

The Crossfire was the very first CL Stunt model that was designed and built from the start as a tuned pipe model. I referenced this model in my Saturn article that appeared in Flying Models. It was powered by an OPS .40SPA engine and our own "Future Force" pipe.

The wing featured a swept forward trailing edge and the airfoils used in that wing were original curves. I will probably use them again - soon!

I subsequently designed a smaller version of that model and I think it is one of my best styling efforts. I built one of those in 1994, but again I rushed the finish and it was never used in competition. It flew extremely well, however, and I'm strongly considering an electric version as a near future project.

Attached is a photo of the refinished Crossfire that was taken at the Nats in 1991 where I placed fourth.

Later - Bob     
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:07:10 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
GADS! BROTHA-HUNT!!!
After seeing your attached CROSSFIRE..
I just think my old 70 year old  ticker'just did a CROSSFIRE' UKRAZEENWONDERFULGRUNTMAN!!!!!
Don Shultz

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
Shultzie,

Me too!

"The DoubleCross". Kit bashed from a Randy "Dreadnought"!  With some Ward-O mods, notably the grass LG.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

steven yampolsky

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 08:13:16 PM »
A local flier owns(owned) Bob's Crossover. Rick Campbell and I flew it a few years back. Powered by OPS40 too! What and amazing airplane! It pivoted around a point, tracked like it was on rails and flew perfect rounds. If this was not Bob's best airplane, I can only imagine how amazing his best ships are.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:09:31 PM »
Not me, Donnie. I've always liked the Crossover, though.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:49:20 AM »
Boy I love the look of that plane Bob!  Also it was a piped motor which makes it even better since I love the sounds that a piped motor makes
Matt Colan

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
Exhaust music...is truly an art form in itself....however after seeing and hearing Paul Walker's new All American Eagle sing its beautiful song a few weeks ago at the Stunt-A-Thon I know that I am hooked on what a CLPA stunt model's power plant should sing like? y1 :-*
"SILENCE IS GOLDEN....HOW SWEET THE SOUND...WHO SAVED N' OL'  SINNA' LIKE ME!"
Don Shultz

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
Hi Steve:

Thanks for the very kind words about the CrossFire! Yes, it was an honest airplane that turned equally in both directions and flew decent rounds and squares. At the risk of sounding unhumble, it was not my best model ever, but it was a very good one!

The fact that it turned equally was the prime reason that I decided to refinish it.

I now have a nice set of pencils for the CrossFire as Don's original posting and the ad in Stunt News sparked several inquiries. I plan to finish the plans soon, but what I have now is more than sufficient to build the ship. I have the wing cores and stab & elev cores for that ship as well, and can produce fully sheeted components with the landing gear system installed.

The name, by the way came from the fact that I flew a lot of RC in those days and found several things that I could use in CL. It was named for the Crossfire of tecnologies between RC and CL. I also had an RC version and here's a photo of it! 

Bob Hunt

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 07:57:55 PM »
Even that one has a pipe
Matt Colan

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »
Even that one has a pipe

Yea.....But the stab is bent!  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

"Tight Lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

steven yampolsky

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
The fact that it turned equally was the prime reason that I decided to refinish it.

What impressed me the most is how it pivoted around in a square turns. Most models that can turn a good corner, seem to pivot around the leading edge or even closer to the nose. Some jump into corners. Not the Crossfire! It pivoted, what seemed like, around its trailing edge and it NEVER jumped into corners!

What most people don't realize from looking at the pictures is how great the model looks on the lines! If I were to build a 1980's era model, Crossfire would have been it!

Bob, this model deserves a revisit from. You've done a Cavalier and the Guppie Fish LL~ from the 70's. It's time for a Crossfire. I wonder how it would do as an electric...

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:07:21 PM »
...a Cavalier?

Bob

steven yampolsky

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 11:35:31 AM »
...a Cavalier?

Bob

Late night brain f**t n~ . I meant Caprice.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 01:37:51 PM »
Oh, 10-4!

Actually I have given a lot of thought to making an electric Crossfire. The pipe tunnel would make a perfect exhaust for the battery and motor cooling air.

I keep looking at the full set of pencil drawing of the ship that now have and it just jumps out at me. That wing was a very good one, and it will be used again in either a CrossFire or something else.

Wish I could fly the old CrossFire just one more time...

Later - Bob 

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »
Bob isn't the Crossfire like a Genesis with a rudder?

Matt Colan

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 06:34:27 AM »
Hi Matt:

Essentially, yes! There are a number of fuselage construction differences, but the airfoils and force arrangements are the same as the 1980 Genesis. Which, by the way was an excellent "scriber." It was perhaps the easiest to "steer" model that I've ever owned. It had a "twisty" rear fuselage, however, and while it was great in calm to moderate conditions, it was a nightmare in heavy wind. The fuelage would twist and consequently the stab would twist and the model would visit parts of the circle that no stunt ship had previously visited. It probably cost me a Nats!

In 1980 I won all rounds of qualifying with that plane and then easily won the Top 20 day rounds. The conditions during qualifications and Top 20 day were very good with light wind. In the finals the wind came up - and I usually do very well in the wind - and the whole program came apart. I was lucky to finish in second that year. With one more day of calm conditions things might have been different! Oh well.

That ship did place second at the 1980 World Championships by just a few points. That year Les won both the Nats and the World Championships, I was second at both meets and Billy was third at both meets! What an adventure...

Crossfire plans will be made available as I'm now receiving lots of inquiries.

Later - Bob

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
HI Bob,

Where did Stevie Ray Vaughn come into play? ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 07:14:23 AM »
Well Bill, Stevie would not have made a very good CL Stunt flier; he slack tuned his guitar strings to get that distinctive sound. He wouldn't have had enough line tension!

Bob

steven yampolsky

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 10:35:22 PM »
Wish I could fly the old CrossFire just one more time...

A fella in CT now owns it. If you are serious about try it out, I can find out that guy's contact info.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »
I understand that it is now in the possession of Bill Barth. He called me last week and asked me if I wanted to buy it back... I just might!

Either way I'll build a new (and lighter) one in the near future now that I have a full set of accurate plans for it.

Later - Bob

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 04:39:58 PM »
I understand that it is now in the possession of Bill Barth. He called me last week and asked me if I wanted to buy it back... I just might!

Either way I'll build a new (and lighter) one in the near future now that I have a full set of accurate plans for it.

Later - Bob
"BUY IT BACK...HEY BOB!! WHAT'S HIS ADDRESS......I WILL GO BUST IN THAT HANGER OF HIS AND SEND IT BACK TO YOU... LL~ LL~ S?P H^^ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~
(Like Asking Rembrandt if he would like to buy back one of his original paintings? DAAAAA!!! >:D n1 :-*
Don Shultz

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »
"BUY IT BACK...HEY BOB!! WHAT'S HIS ADDRESS......I WILL GO BUST IN THAT HANGER OF HIS AND SEND IT BACK TO YOU... LL~ LL~ S?P H^^ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~
(Like Asking Rembrandt if he would like to buy back one of his original paintings? DAAAAA!!! >:D n1 :-*

No, I'd just take the plane after what I've been hearing how good a plane it is LL~  LL~   LL~  VD~  VD~  VD~ S?P  S?P
Matt Colan

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »
No, I'd just take the plane after what I've been hearing how good a plane it is LL~  LL~   LL~  VD~  VD~  VD~ S?P  S?P
HEY MATT!!!.. :! :! VD~ VD~ S?P H^^ #^LET'S FLEESE THE PLACE TOGETHER!!!  I have some very specialized "break n' entry tools...designed by The Boeing Security Teams finest.
Don Shultz

steven yampolsky

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »
HEY MATT!!!.. :! :! VD~ VD~ S?P H^^ #^LET'S FLEESE THE PLACE TOGETHER!!!  I have some very specialized "break n' entry tools...designed by The Boeing Security Teams finest.

Guys, please understand: Bill paid his hard earned dollars for it. It's piece of history and is worth every penny as such. You could help Bob out and buy it for him.  >:D

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »
Guys, please understand: Bill paid his hard earned dollars for it. It's piece of history and is worth every penny as such. You could help Bob out and buy it for him.  >:D

Steve.. U GOTTA BE KIDDIN?  n~ LL~ LL~
I THINK WE UNDERSTAND PERFECTLY!!!!! HISTORY...DAAAAAAA???? LL~ LL~
Thinking back over the years....I have given away most of my old models during my competition years...and 99% of them were freebee's and those that weren't handed over for free, we usually worked out a "barter type thing.
Maybe instead of $$$ trading  for an extra Stunt engine or a beautiful set of foam wings.....or cans of dope or fuel..etc etc.
What BOGGLES my mind..I still  find it hard to believe that ANY MODELER would ask for $$$ back for an old model that certainly would need CONSIDERABLE reconstruction and revamping?

Even that beautiful piece of sky art so skillfully created so long ago and personally....TO ME IT WOULD BE AN HONOR to return that model to its creator.
It would be AMAZING just to see what kind of ART that our Bob, our stunt master builder and craftsman could re-creat into a brand new updated Super version of the CROSSFIRE?

H^^ LL~
Don Shultz

steven yampolsky

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 12:37:10 AM »
What BOGGLES my mind..I still  find it hard to believe that ANY MODELER would ask for $$$ back for an old model that certainly would need CONSIDERABLE reconstruction and revamping?

I give my old models away to others but that's just my models. I havn't won any World or national championships so my models are worthless. Crossfire is different. Think of Beatles and Paul McCartney's guitar that he played on Ed Sullivan show. It cost a few hundred dollars new and isn't worth much today as a playing instrument. As a collector's item, it's worth a million dollars plus. Do you think if Paul asked the owner of that guitar if he could have it back, do you think the owner would have to give it away for no compensation?

Isn't threre a saying that goes something like "One man's junk is another man's retirement fund?"

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 11:48:51 AM »
Even that beautiful piece of sky art so skillfully created so long ago and personally....TO ME IT WOULD BE AN HONOR to return that model to its creator.
It would be AMAZING just to see what kind of ART that our Bob, our stunt master builder and craftsman could re-creat into a brand new updated Super version of the CROSSFIRE?

H^^ LL~

I think it would too!  What I said before was supposed to be all in good fun.

Matt Colan

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 01:18:14 PM »
I think it would too!  What I said before was supposed to be all in good fun.

Same here...ALL IN GOOD FUN LL~....however a little barb or two...just to keep things REAL? S?P
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »
sheesh, all this, and I cant even give my planes away lol
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
He, he. seems I did give some of mine away.

Hey Mark, ever get that tip weight box fixed?   LL~
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »
Actually, NO, and now there is another minor complication caused by the resident feline member of my household,, grrrrr,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »
Wow! I left to teach motorcycle riding for a few days and didn't check in and look what happened!  ;)

Just to set the record straight, I don't hold any grudge at all against Bill for wanting to sell the Crossfire back to me for at least what he paid for it. I'd be pleased to pay his price if I really wanted it that badly.

The Crossfire - while a great little ship in its time - is not really worthy of any sort of legendary status. I'm flattered that Steve would even compare it to a Beatles instrument (And, by the way, I own an Epiphone ES-230TD Casino that is the same year and serial number range and color as John Lennon's...).

The Crossfire will be reprised! It will be electric powered this time, and it will probably have a built-up Lost-Foam wing in place of the original's foamer. I think I could bring that design in at sub 50 ounces, with the battery on board!

Later - Bob 

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2009, 04:29:36 PM »
Bob,

What sort of electrical setup would you use? Motor, controller, etc.?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 03:08:01 PM »
I'm flattered that Steve would even compare it to a Beatles instrument (And, by the way, I own an Epiphone ES-230TD Casino that is the same year and serial number range and color as John Lennon's...).

Later - Bob 

I have been dying to hear your guitar playing. As I understand it, you are a "Bluesman".
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 05:53:46 AM »
Actually the people who are forced to hear my playing are the ones who are blue... :-\

I'm more of a sport guitarist. The pros are people like Bill Werwage, Jim Armour, Tim Meeks, Rick Campbell, Tom Morris and Andy Lee (Among many others). I can hold my own in a Blues or Country Rock jam, but I'm lost when the music become too complicated.

I spent too much time building and flying model airplanes and riding motorcycles to be really good at music. To be really competent at anything you have to put in the hours. In retrospect I wish I had put in more practice time on the guitar...

A Clapton Wanna-be - Bob Hunt

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 05:57:33 AM »
I heard Gene Schaffer was a really good guitarist also.

Matt Colan

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 09:03:27 AM »
Tim Meeks and I jammed onced at a gathering with the late Bob Palmer there. Jose sent me a tape with stunt pictures and some of Andy Lee's playing on it. I got an offer to play with a blues house band in Santa Monica, CA but, I told them I couldn't because, "I have this hobby of that I am really into".

As for the music getting too complicated; the late great Albert Collins-yes the Iceman stated once that, "simple music is the hardest music to play".
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here