News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:21:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some Flap Experiments  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Some Flap Experiments
« on: May 10, 2021, 02:17:48 AM »
Some flap experiments that I'm to lazy to do, but that you may find interesting:

1. You could attach some leading edge flaps fixed in place at a given deflection.  This allows you easily to see what LE devices could do.  You wouldn't have to worry about mechanisms or hinge moment to do the experiment.

2. You could experimentally fix the TE flaps at a given deflection.  This could tell you what the flaps do without the confounding effect of hinge moment.  You could see what flap deflection gives the tightest loop, how much drag the flaps have at various deflections, and, by setting neutral at the handle and seeing how much elevator it takes to fly level, how flap pitching moment varies with deflection.  I once did this with an experimental aircraft named The Cow.  The Cow had fixed split flaps (say that three times fast) set at 60 degrees deflection.  The Cow was a proof-of-concept article for the rather unsuccessful slow combat plane shown here. 

3. Brett proposed flaps driven in multiple places along the span.  I scoffed at this idea, carbon torque tubes having been invented, but how about if the flaps are divided into independently moving segments, each with its own control horn?  For one thing, this would be the mother of all lucky boxes.  You want to tweak a flap to level the wing in roll? Just adjust pushrod length of one segment.  You could have some segments move more than others: symmetrically, asymmetrically (Palmer differential flaps-- same sign as Palmer's or opposite)), or just the outboard outside segment for trim like Igor's or Ted's tab.  Independently moving segments would allow a lighter wing structure. The wing could deflect without binding the flap hinge.

One caution is that you'd probably want to mass balance the pushrod that runs out the wing.  Hang a weight on the other side of the bellcrank. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Some Flap Experiments
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:41:39 AM »
 I mentioned
EddyR
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:23:07 PM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 04:32:19 AM »
The issue that I have with 'fixed flaps' is that it actually changes the wing section and won't show transition between ' normal', as in flight without lift devices, and flight with enhancements.
In other words you will have changed normal and lose your base reference.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 12:05:20 PM »
The issue that I have with 'fixed flaps' is that it actually changes the wing section and won't show transition between ' normal', as in flight without lift devices, and flight with enhancements.
In other words you will have changed normal and lose your base reference.

The "transition", IOW any nonlinearities around neutral, are important, but that's not what Howard's test is intended to explore.

Note that the wing section changes in normal conditions, too. It is changing all the time. It's deflected in level flight, just not very much. Howard's test gets one data point and a known condition. which more-or-less how wind tunnel tests work. Do a lot of them, and you have a full picture.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 03:38:53 PM »
Agreed Brett, but 60 degrees fixed flap seems like a heck of a lot and would have to be more of an air brake than anything else.

But kudos to Howard for trying.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 11:55:44 AM »
Agreed Brett, but 60 degrees fixed flap seems like a heck of a lot and would have to be more of an air brake than anything else.

I did the experiment, and I know the result.  Chris made the conclusion.  It might be fun to play poker with Chris. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 12:52:40 PM »
I had forgotten that the Boeing-NASA QSRA (Quiet Short-something Research Aircraft) had fixed LE devices. Its test conditions were low speed near the airport.  Laura Nicol, who introduced me to my lovely wife, suggested that they not bother with LE device actuation, so they didn’t.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 04:17:31 PM »
I did the experiment, and I know the result.  Chris made the conclusion.  It might be fun to play poker with Chris.
I fear that if I played poker with you Howard there would be too many jokers in the pack. n~
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 02:04:18 PM »

But kudos to Howard for trying.
Chris.

I tried something similar on a profile carrier- a 9inch straight wing with 2.5in. wide full span flaps.  They had an adjustable fixed travel, and a great big stab/elevator.

The weirdest thing, which I should have thought of, was that at 30deg flap deflection the plane would fly with the nose pointed down about 30 degrees. It could easily fly at about 1mph, but under contest conditions you couldn't do that.  The slightest breeze would over power it.

Couldn't get the motor to run slow enough to get the plane anywhere near level flight attitude.
phil Cartier

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 10:52:26 PM »
These turning vanes are on the underside of the Feiseler Storch tail.  The tail needs maximum downforce at low speed during landing, especially on the Storch with its high lift wing, slats, and flaps.  These vanes are very effective in increasing the downforce of the tail, almost doubling it, by "jetting" a force of air onto the stabilizer at high deflections.  The F4 flying tail has mods to the underside of the leading edge to accomplish the same thing, namely keeping the flow attached to the surface at higher incidence angles to make more downforce for landing conditions.  I've done it on stunt ships and it works.  I wish someone else would try it.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 07:02:10 AM »
Has anyone tried straight square edged flaps? Seems with this shape rather than the normal tapper the flap would engage faster, might need less throw?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 04:22:12 PM »
Yes, this is the fashionable shape now.  There is some actual aero reason why they work.  I still have tapered flaps because I think they are prettier.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 05:11:43 PM »
Has anyone tried straight square edged flaps? Seems with this shape rather than the normal tapper the flap would engage faster, might need less throw?

Best,    DennisT
Do you mean something like this?

Dennis

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 05:25:14 PM »
Do you mean something like this?

Dennis

Wow.  Nice plane!  Who made it?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 06:36:22 PM »

Best,    DennisT

Some random guy named Paul Walker advocates for it.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 07:20:11 PM »
Wow.  Nice plane!  Who made it?
Thanks Tim. It's my plane. You can read all about it on the Flying Lines website at http://flyinglines.org/nunes.circulas46lle.html;D

Dennis

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 08:45:59 PM »
These turning vanes are on the underside of the Feiseler Storch tail.  The tail needs maximum downforce at low speed during landing, especially on the Storch with its high lift wing, slats, and flaps.  These vanes are very effective in increasing the downforce of the tail, almost doubling it, by "jetting" a force of air onto the stabilizer at high deflections.  The F4 flying tail has mods to the underside of the leading edge to accomplish the same thing, namely keeping the flow attached to the surface at higher incidence angles to make more downforce for landing conditions.  I've done it on stunt ships and it works.  I wish someone else would try it.

Pretty interesting concept to consider.  I imagine the drag component could be significant depending on the size and height. 
I made this little drawing showing flat and airfoiled vane types attached to pylons. 
Does this seem like an arrangement that would be used?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 09:03:22 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 05:56:58 AM »
Brent
You've got the right idea .... but redraw it with the slats attached to the elevator ..... at least thats the way I did it ....
Frank
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 06:14:04 AM by frank williams »

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 07:07:11 AM »

That's an interesting idea Frank. Can you point me to the NACA report you found it in? Cessna did a whole bunch of work on their Citation jets to achieve this kind of performance without a significant drag increase. They used a combination of flap leading edge shape and cove shape to guide the airflow though a channel from bottom to top to "blow" the surface invigorating the boundary layer. One of the guys that came up with this is a friend of mine and is very bright. The auxiliary foil surely increases the raw Clmax better than the "ducting" approach. Like spades, I would worrying about handling damage.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 09:05:53 AM »
Something i learned with the RC hydro race boats is you have to have a shape the edge on the sponsons which i think would apply to control surfaces  trailing edges so the air can exit the surface and not try to stick like a rounded edge would do.we rounded off the edges on the sposons of the boat and it had a hard time getting up on plane because the water would stick to the sponson instead of releasing which caused drag.
AMA 21449

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2022, 09:13:36 AM »
Brent
You've got the right idea .... but redraw it with the slats attached to the elevator ..... at least thats the way I did it ....
Frank

How did you mount them Frank? I’d be interested in trying them and have a really good test bed airplane to try them on!
Matt Colan

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2022, 02:36:10 PM »
Brent
Frank
Frank, do you have a side view sketch of how this works.  How much deflection do you have in the elevator, and would this dictate less?  Are they sealed, and if not as I expect,  how wide should the gap be.  Would they work on recessed elevators, I suspect not but the "test bed" I have access to right now has recessed elevators.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 02:57:08 PM »
With the square edge flaps has anyone tried adding a "Gurney flap"? I would imagine it would be something like a strip of 1/64" ply maybe 1/64" above and below the rear edge. From what I have read this vertical strip which you would think would add drag actually reduced drag. It is supposed to keep the boundary layer flow attached all the way to the trailing edge of the airfoil. Interesting idea but how it would work on a movable flap would be the question.

Best,         DennisT

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 05:29:18 PM »
Mark .... Thiis diagram came from a book titled ..."Fluid Dynamic Lift" by S Hoerner.  He is famous for his other book "Fluid Dynamic Drag" primarily, and his wing tips.   Most of his stuff is from German research during the war years.  The implementation you show on the Citation with the "blown flap" does a good job without an increase of too much drag.

Matt, Ken .... they are mounted on little standoffs mounted to the elevator.  See pictures  The critical points are 1) they have to "Peek" up above the stab surface enough to be above to grab some good air 2) the gap at the jet end has to be small enough to get a "jet" effect of the air and 3) the length of the slat must be sized so that the leading edge of it just touches to stab surface. (not that touching the stab surface is important, but you don't want to inhibit the elevator movement)

I will say that it worked best on elevators and stabs and not so much was felt when put on flaps
Frank

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2022, 05:31:34 PM »
A diagram and a photo of the bottom of a Fri. Storch and another one of my planes

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2022, 10:08:46 PM »
Some out of the car window tuft testing

Offline George Fruhling

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2022, 12:02:57 PM »
Some flap experiments that I'm to lazy to do, but that you may find interesting:

1. You could attach some leading edge flaps fixed in place at a given deflection.  This allows you easily to see what LE devices could do.  You wouldn't have to worry about mechanisms or hinge moment to do the experiment.

2. You could experimentally fix the TE flaps at a given deflection.  This could tell you what the flaps do without the confounding effect of hinge moment.  You could see what flap deflection gives the tightest loop, how much drag the flaps have at various deflections, and, by setting neutral at the handle and seeing how much elevator it takes to fly level, how flap pitching moment varies with deflection.  I once did this with an experimental aircraft named The Cow.  The Cow had fixed split flaps (say that three times fast) set at 60 degrees deflection.  The Cow was a proof-of-concept article for the rather unsuccessful slow combat plane shown here. 

Seems like fixed position flaps, leading or trailing, would have an adverse effect on inverted flight if maximized for upright or vice versa.  Or am I missing something here?

3. Brett proposed flaps driven in multiple places along the span.  I scoffed at this idea, carbon torque tubes having been invented, but how about if the flaps are divided into independently moving segments, each with its own control horn?  For one thing, this would be the mother of all lucky boxes.  You want to tweak a flap to level the wing in roll? Just adjust pushrod length of one segment.  You could have some segments move more than others: symmetrically, asymmetrically (Palmer differential flaps-- same sign as Palmer's or opposite)), or just the outboard outside segment for trim like Igor's or Ted's tab.  Independently moving segments would allow a lighter wing structure. The wing could deflect without binding the flap hinge.

One caution is that you'd probably want to mass balance the pushrod that runs out the wing.  Hang a weight on the other side of the bellcrank.

Offline George Fruhling

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2022, 12:05:18 PM »
Seems that fixed position flaps, leading or trailing, would have an adverse effect on inverted flight.

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2022, 03:13:19 PM »
Dear Dennis,
Look at trailing edge of Wilga' s fin (middle part) :
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/PZL_104_Wilga_35A_Taupo_NZ_27.02.92R.jpg/800px-PZL_104_Wilga_35A_Taupo_NZ_27.02.92R.jpg

Nobody could explain amongst pilots, what is it for...

Istvan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here