News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sizing for OS .25VF  (Read 716 times)

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sizing for OS .25VF
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
What size plane is about right for an OS .25VF?? I'm pretty sure I lack the upper body strength necessary to handle a larger piped engine/plane, but I have a pair of these little jewels.

I have plans for Whiteley's Shoestring, which is designed for a .60, and ws considering shrinking it 20%. This would yield a plane of around 47" span, with 425 sq.in. area. Suggestions, please??

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Sizing for OS .25VF
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »
Dan Rutherford posted a rather descriptive thread on the "other " forum abotu the development of his "whimpact" , which is a scaled down Profile Impact. sounds right up your ally. I have seen this little jewel fly and its definetly worth looking at. Pretty much any of the current crop of contemporary stunters could be scaled to work with a strict eye towards weight. Pat Johnston can scale any of his nearly 100 drawings and plans to fit your needs. I think you are probably in the balpark as for size, though I think the 25 VF may be able to fly a bit more plane, over powering is not a bad thing now is it?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »
The only place I've seen anything printed about the piped 25VF for stunt is Mike Starrett's Eliminator in the May 96 Flying Models.  The Eliminator is 565 square inches.  In the article he says a good substitute would be a muffled 35 or piped 40FP.  I've been playing with a piped 25F for a couple years now.  It's not too far removed from the 25VF, it shares the same specifications except it's a side exhaust instead of a rear exhaust.  I've been running the 25F on a Primary Force ARF.  The engine has enough power to haul 490 or 500 square inches without a problem. 
Dan's Wimpact at under 450 square inches seems way small for a 25VF.  I'd look for something intended for a strong 35-40 and build it light.  The worst part about the 25 sized piped engine is working out a setup since it's not at all popular.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »
I have a Thunder Tigre .25BB and I am going to use it on my lite 'ized Twister.

I think it should do OK even though it won't be too overpowered.

Jim Pollock

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:56:55 PM »
Thanks everyone, for all the info and suggestions. I decided to go with an RSM Chizler, mostly due to Keith Trostle's urging (and the fact that I've always liked the Chizler). I sent the plans to Randy for suggestions/recommendations on the pipe system. If I can keep it under 40 oz., it should be a great performer!

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here