News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:24:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shorter outboard wing panel  (Read 2205 times)

Offline TroyMartin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Shorter outboard wing panel
« on: April 26, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »
I have noticed that some stunt planes have a shorter (half a bay or so) outer wing panel and was curious why?????  Thanks!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Shorter outboard wing panel
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:09:13 PM »
To carry the weight of the LINES !

If a plane ' comes in ' on equal panels , they tend to ' roll up the lines ' ,

whereas a longer inner will lift the inner ( upright or inverted ' and tends to fly the lines TIGHT , of its own accord .

Though thats outside the design criteria of ' pro '  :-\ F2B / P. A. , where 1/2 assymetry seems to be preferred ,
being theyre Supposed to stay out there full time . Thus they carry more tip weight .  S?P

H^^

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »
lots of technical explenations are appropriate but the simplest answer is that as the plane flies, the inboard wing covers less distance and slower so it is longer to create a semblance of symmetrical lift to the outboard which is moving faster but farther
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline TroyMartin

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:26:46 PM »
Thanks !

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:43:56 PM »
I have noticed that some stunt planes have a shorter (half a bay or so) outer wing panel and was curious why?????  Thanks!

Since the airplane flies in a circle, the outboard wing travels a little bit faster than the inboard. To get the lateral (left-right) center of pressure in the middle, the inboard wing has to be slightly longer.

It's not extremely critical. The right difference for typical 40-60 sized stunt planes is about 3/4", but an inch or so is OK, and zero is also workable. If you make it the same length on each side, the CP will be shifted over about 1/4-3/8" to the right, and you have to add a bunch of tip weight to shift the CG over that far, too.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here