News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:06:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale Stunt Designs  (Read 28209 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Scale Stunt Designs
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2015, 08:50:01 PM »
Thisisinthe U.S.A.

Dave Wigley’s Westland Wyvern makes a photo pass.

These old cows are likely far more straightforward to put on paper , & build.

The Blackburn Firebrand .

The Dimenensions would be more scale, If you found a five ton engine ( a four stroke  VD~) ( Ive got a OS Max 80 from 1970 , 20 Onces ! )

OOPsie.

Has a Centaurus, like the Sea Fury , Earlyer ones ran Sabres .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
Here's my cousins wife,

Er , um. a Fairey Firefly actually. I got the names mixed up .  :##
Theres a Frank Warburton Plan , classic eligable , for these. It looks quite good.

A Napier Sabre powered Fairy Battle, would be a good subject . Pity they wernt a production job. Just Test.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »
Flogged from Al , @ S.S.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »

some B&W photos of the Mc Millan MB5 on there I CANT find AGIAN ! >  >:( >:( :-X

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 01:17:47 AM »

Laser 200 740 sq in 63" Span Designed by Gid Adkisson this is mine with Saito 72 flies very well!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
Bump

Quote from: Tom Niebuhr on October 19, 2015, 03:21:25 PM

Are there any pictures of Keith's Eagle?

Tom,

Thanks for asking and thanks to the others here that have commented on that "Eagle".  The only decent picture I have of the airplane is like the one that Dennis posted earlier in this thread.  Yes, it is sort of a semi scale Little Mike Goodyear racer.  It is painted in the blue with white trim and gold pin striping like the original Little Mike racer was eventually painted.  I actually called it the "Continental Eagle" and was an excursion to use a bit higher aspect ratio wing and a bit shorter nose and tail moments from the stunt norm.  It also had the one and only RAF stunt .40 with a rear exhaust.  (There were not many stunt 40's with rear exhausts in the early 70's when this flew.)  The airplane sort of worked, but was heavier than it should have been.  It took 10th at the 72 Nats.  There were arrangements made to have it published in American Aircraft Modeler (the forerunner of Model Aviation).  I completed the plans, inked on mylar.  I still have the plans.  I decided not to have it published because my next airplane, the Fw 190D (with a ST .46), was a much better performing airplane and did not feel that the Little Mike really deserved to be published as it was not what I considered a top performing airplane.  (Maybe with a good engine and a reasonable weight, it would work.) I have sent plans to a couple of people, but nothing has ever come from that.  The plans show a Rabe type moving rudder with the controls for the rudder all enclosed except for one small short pushrod to the rudder horn.  Uses a transfer bellcrank in the tail to get the pushrod to that high placed horizontal tail and the rudder motion is taken from that transfer bellcrank.  I still have the airplane hanging in my shop.  It is still intact but not worth the trouble to get it in the air again.  Maybe a Merlin 40 would make it go.  Oh, the fuselage mounted landing gear on the thing only confirms my thoughts that fuselage gears do not belong on a stunt ship.

That 72 Nats was an interesting contest.  Rabe won Open with his Sea Fury.  Dennis Adamisin won Senior and then won the Walker Cup.

Keith

This is to update what I previously posted.  I found several pictures of that Eagle that sort of is a semi-scale of the Little Mike.  The Continental Eagle name is derived from the fact that the Little Mike came from the era of Continental Racers.  Anyway, here are some photos.  

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »
I have sent plans to a couple of people, but nothing has ever come from that.

GUILTY ! . No itke and I think well worth building .

I think that with a molded fuselage , and maybe cowl cheeks , the weight wouldnt be a problem .
With all the formers & planking theres a lot of wood in there .

The Haker Typoon etc layout of a center section truss , Tubular Aft Section & Bearer Front section ,
with the Fwd Skin just that , would carry the loads And limit materials .

Id think it worth getting airworthy again , Kieth . But without going overboard . ( My P-38 s got more stripped back so only Spars Really worth utilising . And that only thru expene of two sheets on 1/4 7 4 x 48 .

A bit weatherbeatens not going to spoil the score .- Evaluateing it with a ' New ' engine ( approprite to the weight, a Stalker 51 RE maybe ?? )
would tell you where its at . Thicker winter air counters the loading . Ive found 20 Oz Sq Ft ok but 4.5 laps And it keeps you on your toes .
( the MB3 ) ANYTHINGS relaxing , comparitivly after that . Great Fun if you like your hair standing on end And deserves a stiff whiskey post flight .
( sadly Lacking  >:() . Suprisingly smooth accurate manouvres but could cut off it the top of the hourglass & into the Clover ,
like most things if you dont watch your steo there, in Wind . Next'll get a wobbly rudder .
tempted to do another for perth so people can have a go with a 440 dodge on oil in the rain , as it were .
( recently laminated a rear deck from 3 off 1/32 hard quatergrain . Think TWO lamns. would be comparable to soft 3/32 sheet , moulded )

Kieth or someone asked me if ' the plane bobbles in the opposite direction at first, with the T- Tail '
regarding my Whirlwind .
Id said NO but in fact it does , or can , or might . !

I think when its a bit gusty , or the winds variable , as you hold a bit of pressure on the control , to 'ease ' it
into say a round loop , maybe the centre of drag up there has a effect .

But the W.W. has a airfoiled 1/4 sheet tailplane .

MAYBE one autmatically eases in opposite control to smooth it , after familiariseation ? .

The Problem ( Neurosis ) is more ' Wing Wash ' , the Whirlwinds High Tailplane is well clear of it .

Maybe under duress ( Rough Air / Blowing ) when the wings working hard the wash aft is more dramatic ,
if the tailplane fell into a turbulent ' hole in the air ' the wing wash , there could be trouble . ! ?  >:( :-\

The English Electric P1A / Lightning had the Tailplane Lower than the Wing , so in landings its in clean air .
The Whirlwind this effect , the tailplane flying in ' its own ' air is most discernible ( more so in winter / thick air ).

The 63 in Spitfire you felt the Tailplane ' go through ' the Wheel Wake ( 3 in ballon wheels ) going into loops , from level .
a distinct ' bump ' .

Gloster Javlins and B.A.C. 111 / VC 10s ??? with T-Tails could get into a DEEP STALL . Note a 50 or 100 ton aircraft has a more discenable wake / wing wash , than a two pound lightly loaded stunt ship .
In Landing mode the Tail in the wing wash at excessive incedance made it ineffective, leading to trouble .
The DeH Comet Airliners similarly if overrotated got the wing stalled on the ground and wouldn't take off .
Theyre not the only ones that do that .

A Carabu doing its nosewheel on the deck , nose down ' flypast ' runs shows Lift /  effective Incedance with FLAPS operated aint necessarily what youd expect .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:50:08 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »
GUILTY ! .

Kieth or someone asked me if ' the plane bobbles in the opposite direction at first, with the T- Tail '
regarding my Whirlwind .
Id said NO but in fact it does , or can , or might . !

But the W.W. has a airfoiled 1/4 sheet tailplane .

Interesting question about the high position of the horizontal tail.  The tail on that Eagle is about 2 1/2" above the wing.  The max thickness is at least 7/8" at the root at 1/3 chord for the tail and the elevator LE is more than 1/2" at the center.  The horizontal tail and elevators taper toward the tips.    This was flown over 30 years ago and I do not recall any problems of turning one way better than the other.  The problem with it was when it was windy and with its poor power to weight ratio, it would wind up in the turns while square turns became less than what a square should be.  A lighter wing loading and more power would solve most of those problems.  It flew well enough in nice air at the 72 Nats to qualify and place 10th.

Keith

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »

couldve done with a tapered wing , but w.t. etc.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:40:25 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »
Bill Little, the pilot who did the P-51C arctic record flights was Charles Blair, who later founded a successful airline in Florida and the Caribbean using Grumman seaplanes.  His bride, actress Maureen O'Hara, passed away on October 24th.

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
Keith Trostle's Focke-Wulf Ta-152 was mentioned earlier, but Peter Germann's Macchi Castoldi MC-72 also merits a picture.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2015, 07:29:10 PM »
Bill Little, the pilot who did the P-51C arctic record flights was Charles Blair, who later founded a successful airline in Florida and the Caribbean using Grumman seaplanes.  His bride, actress Maureen O'Hara, passed away on October 24th.

"Antilies Airboats."

Founded in the 60's.

There should be a book.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2016, 05:04:21 PM »

this was a COMPETITIVE stunt aircraft?

If so.. Dang... it looks more scale than stunt!..
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2016, 10:00:32 PM »
A great thread that I had somehow missed for almost a decade.  Some amazing airplanes and modelers represented and given appropriate commendations for their contributions to a fine art.

Ted

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here