News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sassy saucer  (Read 2203 times)

Willis Swindell

• Trade Count: (0)
Sassy saucer
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:17:32 AM »
I made a trade this morning, a Barnstormer for a Sassy saucer. Some one did some modifications on  one  a couple of years ago. I think it was Ed Ruane. I never new what the out come was. I know this one sort of lopes along as did mine 30 years ago. I did a search and didn’t find any thing on this forum, must have been some where else I read about the modifications on the Sassy Saucer. any help appreciated.
Willis  ??? H^^

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Sassy saucer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »
Willis I mover the leadout forward to the leading edge planking and it helped but it still hunts upright but not inverted!! I am going to move the leadout farther forward and remove the wing tip weight and give it one more try.
Ed Ruane
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Willis Swindell

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:04:41 AM »
 Ed I would try a little down or up thrust in the engine first.
Willis.

I am going to put in a 4 inch bell crank and maybe a taller control horn to slow down the control. The lead outs were moved forward but Bob must not have liked it, because he stooped flying it after he moved the lead outs. where are you balancing the saucer at?

Offline David Miller

• Lieutenant
  • CL, RC, Hunting and Fishing!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 11:51:18 PM »
Whats the other plane and motor in the piture??? Thanks!
MSgt (RET) David G. Miller
AMA 560263

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:47 AM »
The other plane is a Sig 15-size Acromaster.  A fellow has come to a couple of the VSC's with Sassy Saucer and other saucers.  The only one I saw him fly was a smaller one with two half A engines.  I was impressed that it flew very well. 

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
I built a 1/2A saucer when I was in high school.  The ribs were free-hand drawn with a flat bottom and airfoiled top.  The Cox Golden Bee was recessed into the front so the prop cleared the fuselage by 3/4".  I didn't know too much about what I was doing in the design phase, but it turned out to be able to fly in an unusual way.  My friends were amazed (and so was I) when I discovered that, with a headwind of something less than 10 MPH, I could get it to hover.  That required me to take it low for a lap, then climb to reduce speed, then to snap it to a specific high angle of attack into the wind, with the wind slightly away from me (to keep the lines tight).  The other kids thought it was a great model, and I was able to trade it for two kits a few months later (after I was tired of hovering).

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 05:31:24 PM »
GOOD GRIEF!  David I think you invented the SAUCER-SLOB!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 05:45:48 PM »
I have a 1/2A saucer with a flat wing witch had to be glued together in sections but I flew it last
year and it diden't really fly to well.Some effects are it flys into the circle and not turning tightly???
I tried to remove the landing gear and add tip weight but it was still a little uneasy.After doing about
all the mods you can it still flew like tird.I had to fix the controls[helped turning] but it diden't help 100%.
so after awhile I set it aside for dust collecting.It still there and in no use but I still consider fixin it
but i'm not sure n1  :## n~.    Shawn F2d Cook

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
Willis  I don't have a motor in it now so I can't check the CG. I had it well forward of the plans position and added weight until it would not turn. I will try the down thrust first.  The one very surprising thing about this plane is the long glide after the motor stops. Here it is with the speed cowl as shown on the plans
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dave Nyce

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Hooters restaurant on Oahu
    • Revolution Sensor Company
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »
Dennis:  I hadn't heard of the "Saucer Slob".  Tried to look it up on the web after your post, but nothing came up.  Is that a real model, or were you just joking?  I built my saucer in around 1966.

Dave
Dave Nyce   New Bern, NC 
AMA: L356

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »
Hi David
I was just joking.  I read your description about how you flew the saucer (hovering - like a BiSlob) and made that connection...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here