News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:54:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RSM Take Apart CL  (Read 5826 times)

Offline David Ruff

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
RSM Take Apart CL
« on: March 28, 2015, 05:22:40 PM »
Anybody out there pick up one of Eric's Take Apart CL kits yet?
Very intriguing concept; at least for me.
I am thinking of picking one up just to see the engineering.
I would like to know how feasible it would be for a built-up fuselage stunter.
I know some guys are building take-aparts.  I am not the master builder with a full shop.
Retired Army

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: RSM Take Apart CL
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:02:02 PM »
I believe that the only as kitted full fuse take apart from RSM is the Thunder Gazer.  The wing comes off as one piece, and the rudder and aft part of the fin unbolt to allow the stab to be removed (unbolted).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:22:35 AM by tom brightbill »
AMA 34849

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:53:02 PM »
Pretty much all of them can be built as a take apart.  You don't have to be a "master builder" but things need to be straight and square.  It is time consuming and requires a lot of attention to detail.  I started a thread a couple of years ago, got burnt out on the posting part but did finish the airplane.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,31100.msg304805.html#msg304805

Actually, I've built three of them in the past four years like this and one more before that with a removable wing and tail section.  Doing it like this allows a 690 sq. in. model to fit in an airlines qualified box. 

Another method uses a system like the Yatsenko's use on their high priced stuff from Europe.

Nothing wrong with the system RSM incorporated by Mike Griffin for smaller profile models, just not as clean cosmetically.
Mike

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 01:10:02 AM »
For airline travel these days, you pretty much have to have the wings come off individually.  Paul Walker and I have been using Mike Haverly's system.  It's not the Tom Morris system shown in the thread Mike references, but the same idea with one-piece carry-through rods in the fuselage, rather than multiple arrow parts glued together.  They mate with one-piece sockets in the wings, glued to the spars and TE. I couldn't find a picture of them.  They work dandy.  In Mike's system, the fasteners that hold the wings to the body are in tension.

The other way to do it is the Yatsenko system, where the fasteners that hold the wings to the body are in shear:  http://discovery-aeromodels.com/en/demountable-systems.html .  Dallas Hanna in Australia made some similar parts, which the US stunt team has used: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,28857.0.html .  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 11:06:48 AM »
Well... I have a picture.  Not hard to make.  You need a mill a lathe, and the rudimentary knowledge to complete the job.  Dimensions are adjustable. 

The material is .375 Dia. 6061 T6 Aluminum rod and 4-40 x 3/4 Gr. 8 socket head cap screws.
Mike

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 07:47:35 PM »
I'm at a loss to see how that stays together. Where are the cap head bolts? ???

A little more 'splaining is necessary............at least for me. ;D

Jerry

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »
If you look at the thread referencedhttp://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=31100.0;attach=124977;image earlier, I think it is pretty clear.

Edit  Here's hoping I attached the picture this time.
Mike

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 09:04:34 PM »
You use a ball-end driver to turn the screw.  Works a treat.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »
Howard,

What kind of main spar do you use with that take-apart system?
Here is how I copied Yuriy's stuff, long ago:

L

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 07:03:41 PM »
I can't speak for Howard, and I know his is a little different.  My spars are made of 1/8 x 1/4 balsa laminated to carbon fiber.  At the wing root there is a 1/4 balsa shear web attaching the two aluminum tubes you see.  The Yatsenko system is swell but at least twice as heavy.

Mike

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:32 PM »
I have 1/4" (6.35 mm) square spars top and bottom with a 1/16" (1.6 mm) shear web wherever the leadout wires aren't in the way.  Rather than the aluminum tubes Mike and Paul use, I have some carbon knobs on the inboard ends of the spars in the wings.  The spar caps are reinforced with carbon for about 10 cm at the wing root.   I can't find any pictures or good drawings.  
The Jive Combat Team

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here