News:

• April 17, 2024, 09:56:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rib Spacing  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rib Spacing
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:23:48 PM »
I see some planes with more ribs than others. Is this a trade off between better stiffness and airfoil shape vs weight? Is anything less than 3-1/2" spacing really necessary on a 600 sq. in. wing?

MM

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Rib Spacing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:29:30 AM »
I see some planes with more ribs than others. Is this a trade off between better stiffness and airfoil shape vs weight? Is anything less than 3-1/2" spacing really necessary on a 600 sq. in. wing?

3 and a half inches?  I don't know about that, most are more like 2" and I have considered adding half-ribs every inch to avoid "starved horse" problems.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »
  .............. I have considered adding half-ribs every inch to avoid "starved horse" problems.

Brett
Which brings up the next question "why avoid the starved horsy thing?" (Or as we say here in Oz "built like a roasted greyhound.")

Purely appearance?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »
The sagged part is less than the intended airfoil thickness.  If you scientifically selected the airfoil, don't you want it everywhere?
Paul Smith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »
   3 and a half inches?  I don't know about that, most are more like 2" and I have considered adding half-ribs every inch to avoid "starved horse" problems.

Brett

3.5 inches isn't too bad behind the spar, although if you want more I'm not going to prevent you.  If I'm building something without sheeting ahead of the spar I like to put in half-ribs (my latest RC plane is an Ugly Stick with two half ribs for every full rib, with about 3" spacing between full ribs but 1" spacing between half ribs).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 04:07:55 PM »
The sagged part is less than the intended airfoil thickness.  If you scientifically selected the airfoil, don't you want it everywhere?

Hi Paul,
            I thought that may be the obvious answer but I have yet to see a model suffer from the lack of scientific airfoil in the bays.

Perhaps the "starved horse" ribbing helps to prevent span wise flow? Or an average between the minimum and maximum sections allows better for varying conditions?

Thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
Some of the Seilig(sp?) airfoils are designed with covering sag in mind; the published airfoil data is actually more a rib profile rather than what you expect the wing itself to be.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »

I would not claim that my airfoil was carefully selected based on science! However, I want the things that are supposed to be straight to be straight, the curved parts curved and no "accidental" shapes. My turtledeck is a bit "starved horse" and I have often wanted to cut it off and make a new, correct replacement. So far I have resisted.

Brett

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 07:49:13 PM »
Brett,
replacing the turtledeck would be faster than building a new plane!
heck you have a week before the nats,, get to it LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »
There are plenty of real airplanes and lake freighters with the covering shrink over the ribs on the body (or hull).  But airplane wings are generally built to keep the airfoil true.  Stunters and combat planes have so much excess lift, you wouldn't know or care if it's efficient or not.  The only way to tell would be to build another plane with the wing sheeted to keep the airfoil true.
Paul Smith

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 09:22:52 PM »
Brett,
replacing the turtledeck would be faster than building a new plane!
heck you have a week before the nats,, get to it LOL

I would be better off finishing the almost-finished clone (that has been sitting in that state for about a year...).

Brett

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »
You can select an airfoil scientifically.  But as Mike Selig at UIUC proved, building a wing with close enough tolerances to get realistic performance measurements is VERY difficult.  And when you do the differences are only apparent at the very extremes of performance.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here