News:

• April 17, 2024, 07:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removable Nose Gear  (Read 808 times)

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Removable Nose Gear
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:35:12 PM »
I wanted to have a removable main and nose gear for the "Sea Vixen" that I am building for Sheeks airplane at VCS XX. Although the airplane is for Classic, I am showing the nose gear mounting details here since it can apply to any airplane.

The main concern was that with the lower tank shelf allowing tank height adjustment, there is only 5/16" left to install the gear on the bottom of the shelf.

The first 6 pictures show how it is done with a mock up. The thickness of the plywood MUST BE 1/8" to match the gear wire. The metric size plywood found in many places will not allow the gear to slide into position. With the 1/8" ply the gear is held in snugly.

The gear can actually be installed with NO fasteners, but ONE is used to assure that the plywood keeper does not work out in flight. This same 4-40 bolt can also hold the rear end of the cowl.

The last  picture shows the installation in the airplane. The cowl mount/keeper bolt is not yet installed.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Removable Nose Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:27:29 AM »
TY,
Thanks for the compliment. Years of solving shop/engineering problems on real airplanes makes me use the KISS principle as much as possible.

Now I have to get back to work on 2  "All Americans" for customers, some custom laser rib sets, some new kits, and my "Sea Vixen", and my new "Top Hat", and finishing my "Profile Road Runner".... Gee... I am sounding like you!

When I flipped the "Vixen" over I found one boom was misaligned. The outboard 1/2" sq.trailing edge spar bowed slightly, so I am replacing it before I install the top rib strips. It will cost me less than an hour of work at this stage. There is no sense "building in" a future trimming problem!
AMA 7544

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Removable Nose Gear
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:56:39 PM »
HI Tom, any news on the GreatLakes stunter yet?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here