Design > Stunt design

Question on Imitation Flap Chord for Ted

(1/4) > >>

jfv:
Ted:

I love your article on the Imitation, and have a question on the flap chord.  In the article you mention that the flap chord on the Imitation was 17% at all stations.  The plans for the Imitation that I have show a flap chord at the root of 19.5% and at the tip of 13.8%.  My question is whether a tapered chord flap, as shown on the plans I have, has any significant difference, plus or minus, over a constant chord flap?

Thanks,

Jim V     

Brett Buck:

--- Quote from: jfv on August 11, 2020, 09:40:31 AM ---Ted:

I love your article on the Imitation, and have a question on the flap chord.  In the article you mention that the flap chord on the Imitation was 17% at all stations.  The plans for the Imitation that I have show a flap chord at the root of 19.5% and at the tip of 13.8%.  My question is whether a tapered chord flap, as shown on the plans I have, has any significant difference, plus or minus, over a constant chord flap?

--- End quote ---

Did you use the entire chord of the wing in the denominator, or just the fixed part?

Brett

jfv:
Entire chord.

Ted Fancher:

--- Quote from: jfv on August 11, 2020, 09:40:31 AM ---Ted:

Thanks,

Jim V   

--- End quote ---

Well, Jim V...this has proven quite embarrassing. 

After digging out my article with all that data in it I can't find any way to dispute what you've brought up...even though measuring with calipers made our numbers a bit different the difference was infinitesimal in the "real world".  I've tried to think up an excuse  for the arithmetical goofs but failed miserably.  Perhaps due to the fact that I wrote that stuff (especially the tables from which we both gleaned the data) 40+ years ago and my memory ain't remotely what it used to be! (maybe that "memory" disappeared early and that's my excuse???? y1 y1 y1...naw, didn't think you'd buy that.

FWIW, I still feel the resulting air frame as presented performed in the exemplary manner declared and the "concepts" of modest area/chord  percentage of flaps, large % area tails and the aft CG those factors permit----while retaining exemplary stability and excellent maneuverability--are valid.  Although I've had several pretty good airlplanes/designs during my competitive career the Imitation to this day brings back the fondest memories of a just plain perfect ship both for performance and ease of achieving that performance.  If you're planning to build one I encourage you to do so; build it straight and at a reasonable weight  and don't go nuts in search of the zero ounce stunter.  The most flights I flew with the original were with a "heavier than most" four stroke in it that required I also add tail weight that brought its dry weight up to ~61-2 ounces dry and it never once failed to perform beautifully despite its modest wing area.

If I still had it I'd probably be flying more than once or twice a year.

Oi vey, you caused me a little embarrassment but I'll get over it.  Thought it would be chicken S$#t to PM this response to you.  Drop me another note when you get yours in the air and let me know how you like it.

Ted Fancher

jfv:
Thanks Ted.  Actually, I'm putting my own design together with basically an Imitation wing layout, only slightly smaller.  I like the looks of the Imitation flaps better than the constant chord flaps and that's why I asked.  The Imitation is on my build list though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version