News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:02:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wing position on an upright or upright canted engine design?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Wing position on an upright or upright canted engine design?
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:55:10 PM »
I have a few components that I am cobbling together to make a simple and practical full fuse design.

I am planning on having the engine canted between upright and side mounted, so the Muffler runs along the fuselage on the outside of the circle.

Could use some guidance as to wing positioning for a reasonable vertical CG.

Engine will be LA 46 with standard muffler and the wing is a thick (2.5" 52 inch span.) Trike gear

Thanks for any thoughts . .

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Wing position on an upright or upright canted engine design?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:45:59 AM »
I would probably put the wing in line with the crank center.  Also probably mount the Horizontal stab just barely above the wing center line viewed from the side. This set up might require slightly longer landing gear.  This is all a SWAG since it is non standard configuration for modern stunters that I am aware of. I have seen some set ups with the engine canted down and to the side . As viewed from the front maybe glow plug at about 7:00 or 8:00 o'clock.  Hope this helps.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »
When all is said and done, you want the plane to hang straight down from the leadouts when viewed from the front.  Whatever you do with the wing and engine, that's your goal.

Gordon's suggestion should get you close.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 11:55:36 PM »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 11:59:07 PM »

Seems like it might work . S?P

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:00:53 AM »
Build the fuse add gear tails tank etc. Long story short finish the whole thing. Balance it laterally. draw a center line. Now add the wing on top of it with tape and check the wing position to achieve CG location. Trace wing cutout and run with it. Should be as good as it gets.
The other way would be to fins weights and CG of all components and do the math.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »
I have a few components that I am cobbling together to make a simple and practical full fuse design.

I am planning on having the engine canted between upright and side mounted, so the Muffler runs along the fuselage on the outside of the circle.

Could use some guidance as to wing positioning for a reasonable vertical CG.

Unless you are doing something wild like a Piper Cub, it will be close enough. I have managed to get through 40 years or so without making any serious consideration of the vertical CG. Of conventional airplanes, the Nobler is probably about as far off as it gets, and it seems to do OK.

If you are concerned (and I wouldn't be), use a 2-dimensional leadout guide.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here