News:

• April 23, 2024, 07:10:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile Landing Gear Mounting -- Aesthetics vs. Common Sense  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Oh, so _that's_ why the landing gear always goes into the wing slot!

Building a semi-sorta-impression-scale profile stunt trainer, of a plane that has landing gear slanting back from the firewall.  In order to echo this, the landing gear legs aren't going to intersect either the wing cutout or the engine cutout.

So -- end the two landing gear legs with an "L", and put them into a slot in the fuselage to hold them in place?  Anyone done this?  Does it stand up to rough landings?  (I'm expecting rough landings -- it's a trainer).

Any alternatives that'll keep the L/G in position?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Profile Landing Gear Mounting -- Aesthetics vs. Common Sense
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:54:22 AM »
I use a 3/8 aluminum rod with a 1/8 hole through it.  Epoxy the rod through the fuselage and stick the L bends on the LG wire into that.  You will bend the wire on bad landings but the fuselage doesn't tear up and the wire is easy to bend back. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
I laid up a carbon gear for the profile I just finished. Works pretty well, but I imagine it's a bit too wide. Looks cool AND is pretty utilitarian.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
I laid up a carbon gear for the profile I just finished. Works pretty well, but I imagine it's a bit too wide. Looks cool AND is pretty utilitarian.
I really, really ought to learn how to do that -- particularly because in a previous life I was a mold-maker at a high-end fiberglass shop.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »
If you look closely you can see how the LG on this plane is bent forward. The L part goes into the bottom motor mount for a secure fit. The additional bend absorbs a lot of the pounding of beginner (or carrier) landings. The Brodak Guardian also has its LG mounted this way.  It may work for you. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 07:26:43 AM »
Thanks Pete, I was just getting to go to the shop and look at my Brodak Gaurdian.  Now I use brass tubing thru the fuse as I found aluminum kept breaking in the fuse.  If you guys remember the Little Wizard,  with the Gaurdian landing gear, use rubber bands to hold the gear in place and not the clip on the verticle portion of the leg.  Still use clips on the horizontal portion.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 08:38:32 AM »
My Miss BJ has that set up also, with a hardwood dowel through the fuse.
Leester
ama 830538

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here