Design > Stunt design

Profile Fuselage Width

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dennis Nunes:
The Northwest Regionals runs a profile stunt event. There rules are simple yet concise that allow for flexibility in the nose area. These rules work out well for both IC engines and electric motors. The maximum width according to there rules: "maximum 3/4" thickness by the trailing edge of the wing/flap hinge line".

The full set of rules are available here: http://flyinglines.org/rules.profilestunt.html

Dennis 

Dave_Trible:
You can see, just in these post the two totally opposite extremes of thought on this matter.  In the second, you could take a fully built up fuselage airplane, saw it off at the trailing edge and stick on a profile fuselage aft.   Somehow this old timer finds that hard to accept as a profile.......

Dave

That's why we keep doing this stuff.

Ken Culbertson:
Electric has changed my opinion.  I was a "slab from prop to rudder" type but not having a place to put all of those wires and that can up front has moved me into the 3/4" at the TE camp.

Ken

Dan McEntee:
   I would be willing to to bet that the 3/4" rule for profile scale came about from people pushing the edge of the envelope. I would guess that fuselages got wider in order to present a little better in the side view, so they finally put a limit on it. I have some profile scale plans that I bought from some one that has some pretty thick fuselages so the corners can be rounded off to give the full 3D illusion. Not the same desire in stunt. People are looking to make them less prone top twisting with more structure. I just stick to the typical 1/2" slab look with a side winder engine,. I have built Rabe style noses before and they tend to get a little heavy, but the engines seem to behave a bit better for some people when up right or inverted. A plus in doing it that way if you don't have local rules prohibiting it. Some designs look better with it, I think.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Dave_Trible:
I actually think sometimes the old accepted rules were initially modified to slip in a couple airplanes that were designed as 'profile' before anyone thought much about a profile event.  I think these were meant as test beds or fast -build trainer types rather than to fly in a separate event.  Those would be the Rabe Mustunt I and Ted's Imitation.   If you just applied the old standard rules these could not be entered.  Now electric has provided other reasons. 

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version