News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:27:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Twister project  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Jim Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
New Twister project
« on: July 30, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »
Hi folks, just started building a Fan. Twister to get me back into the game. I did the Fancherized fueslage, made stab and elev. 1/4 in plust 2in more span. My question is, would it make any difference to use 1/4 in flaps (tapered) or just use the 3/16 flaps untapered,just round the trailing edge and point the LE. of course they will be doped and glassed for stiffness.Would it be the same flying? It will have a 4in bellcrank and ball joints. Fueslage will be doped and glassed.                       Thanks, Jim

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New Twister project
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »
I just went down and checked my F'Twister. It's got 3/16" flaps and they're tapered to a fairly sharp edge. There's a fair amount of weight to be lost by tapering...and it looks a bunch better. I'd suggest that a good mod would be to make a few extra ribs (and wing tips) and extend the wing as far as the included spar stock will allow. Also, undercut the front of the center ribs and double sheet them from the spar forward. Good flying plane...have fun with it, but get it trimmed out before you get too frisky with it...it'll last longer.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:50:14 AM »
untapered flaps tend to be a bit stiffer than tapered flaps.  The glass covering is, on the average, farther apart so it can do its stiffening job better. The trailing edges should be left pretty much square since rounding them doesn't improve performance.  If you prefer them rounded that is fine too.
phil Cartier

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:52:13 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I am going with the untapered flaps for stiffness purposes, but if I feel I need to lose some weight somewhere, I will taper them. I just want to get back into the air, I am already modifying the crud out of this "simple" project.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here