News:

• April 18, 2024, 03:23:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wind Tunnels  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Wind Tunnels
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:46:56 AM »
There is a possibility I can get access to a wind tunnel  at local engineering school aero dept. They have done some work with RC aircraft- I'd be interested to know about any wind tunnel testing that has been attempted to investigate aerodynamics of prop or aircraft design for   C/L  PA aircraft , (or speed or racer for that matter).
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wind Tunnels
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 12:37:17 PM »
What are you looking for in terms of wind tunnel data? On airfoils, do you want to determine
coefficient of lift, coefficient of drag or ways to improve lift or sections to produce more lift or airfoil/flap combinations to improve lift or what?  Are you looking for ways to reduce drag, improve stability or what?

Al Rabe did his own form of testing by using model sized wing sections on a test rig on the hood of his car, ran up and down a runway at different speeds to see how much lift different wing sections created at different angles of attack and different flap deflections.  That led to the development of the airfoils that to that time were fairly unique to his designs.

Working in wind tunnels to improve our CL models sounds like an intriguing proposition.  At least you can get some measurements of some forces that are interplaying with whatever you have in the test section.  But it is just about as easy to put something together with an engine on it to check out certain configurations.  It is just that you can not quantify with measured numbers in a control line circle what you might be able to get in the wind tunnel.  But quantified numbers may not mean very much in the real world of the control line circle anyway.

I am not trying to discourage you but what I am suggesting is that you really need to know what you are trying to find out before you start planning a wind tunnel experiment.

Keith Trostle

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 03:13:18 PM »
Hi Keith, I think your advise about deciding what to measure before pursuing any form of empirical testing like wind tunnel work is right on. I do have a couple of questions.

To my knowledge, the only signficant body of wind tunnel data  for slow speed aerodynamics with test samples with model size reynolds number airfoils are airfoils intended for R/C sailplanes.  Do you know of any wind tunnel data created for say R/C aerobatics or similar disciplines in the US or Europe?  I can understand the appeal of the idea to select a proven airfoil and plug it's coefficient of lift into the lift equation and  get a result of what a given wing will do. It seems very neat and clean and precise but you make the case that it is not always so"cut and dried".

This leads to my second question, Wind tunnels go to great pains to straighten the air flow but a stunt plane flys in a circle so even if you had some nice "clean & precise " windtunnel data how much would it be effected
or invalidated by the circular flight path a plane follows or would it be effected at all.  I defer to knowledge on this one Keith but I would guess it would have some effect.
                                                                       Pat Robinson

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 05:08:06 PM »
Keith, Pat
I'm am engineer but aerodynamic design not part of my skill set- I wouldn't know where to begin to define a wind tunnel test program on my own - just curious if there had ever been any preceding effort along such lines-
as mentioned by Pat- if there has not been any previous effort to characterize model plane airfoils except for RC sail plane applications- maybe this could be a chance?  The folks I have talked to are doing a design project involving an RC aircraft  and mentioned things like using smoke to visualize airflow patterns at various angles of attack as one of their efforts.
I understand there may be limited usefulness to such tests for those of us who prefer to fly in circles.
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 02:52:03 AM »
The circular airflow business - If you test wing and tail in conjunction, I guess you could just set them at the appropriate angle to each other, to experience the "circular" effect. I.e. instead of the airflow being circular, set the wing and tail to be circular. If you'r just testing the circular effect of the flow over the wing alone, I guess you might be able to build your test section "circular", i.e. bend the airfoil chord line accordingly, so you end up with a semi-symetrical section. Intriguing. This is taking design to depths I had never considered before. It sounds so complicated I might just continue building and flying in ignorance and devil take the hindmost! ???
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Gary Letsinger

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:11:13 PM »
     It would be interesting to see the data from the RC modelers wind tunnel test.  Is there a wind tunnel data report?  Did they test an aerobatic model?   If so, they may have used a symmetrical airfoil with a thin flap.  Even if the flap were only tested as an aileron, the data may be useful to us.  I have never been able to find any wind tunnel data for our typical flap configuration.  One of the most important values of wind tunnel data is that it can be used to calibrate prediction methods.
     Perhaps the RC people would publish the data in a model airplane magazine.  What wind tunnel was used?  If there is a data report it was probably written by the wind tunnel staff.  They might be willing to make it available.
     I don't think the lack of circular flow is a problem.

Gary

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 10:22:41 PM »
To: Lyle .  The person you might want to contact is Michael Selig ,
Department of Aerospace Engineering - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois 61801.  He may be one of the worlds most knowledgeable aerodynamicists about model size low Reynolds numbers airfoils. It would seem that he would provide you with the best advise on setting up your test program. You can find his site online UIUC airfoil Data. 

To Gary and Lyle :
There has been wind tunnel testing on symmetrical stab and elevators that you can read about in Martin Simons book "Model Aircraft Aerodynamics".
This is recomended reading even if you just want to dabble to understand things a little better. Martin Hepperles web site has good data and is worth a look.

You can also go online and download :
NACA Report No. 360 - "Pressure Distribution Over A Symmetrical Airfoil
                                        Section With Trailing Edge Flap" 
Please note*  This report is not for model size low Reynolds numbers so we can only extrapolate its value for stunt size models.

The thing you have to understand is that nowhere else in the aerodynamic world do people use "Plain Flaps" (as opposed to extendable "Fowler" type flaps) to fly radical manuevers like we do in stunt.
This point was clearly brought home to me when I e-mailed the creator of Profili airfoil software. Profili has incorporated X-foil virtual wind tunnel as an optional feature. I wanted to ask Mr Duranti if it would work to scan in and test some stunt airfoils in X-foil.  When I described what a stunt airfoil looked like and how it worked he thought it was the worst aerodynamic idea he had ever heard of and he didn't think X-foil would work.  Guys here is a man who has worked and processed close to a thousand different kinds of airfoils but he had never heard of a stunt wing with a manuevering flap. We take the idea for granted but he an many other aerodynamic types have no frame of reference for what we do in stunt. So guys I just want you to know what you are dealing with when you examine aerodynamic data or talk aerodynamics with non-stunt folks because it may impact how applicable that data is to your needs.

Fortunately, for all of us some very bright guys like Bob Palmer, George Aldrich, Bill Netzeband, Bob Baron, Al Rabe , Ted Fancher and many others have extrapolated design ideas from published data and then they went out and did the hard work of testing and refining those ideas to make them work for our needs.  I believe this was the point that Keith was making.

Lyle, an idea occured to me. you might try selling the idea that studying flapped stunt design airfoils and wings would be a first step in designing a small UAV that is capable of radical manuevering to survive in high threat enviornments. This might even turn up goverment funding and generate some real data for real stunt planes. Hey, It's just an idea.
                                                                     Till Next Time,
                                                                   Pat Robinson               

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 12:22:35 AM »
lbs
what i would like to see is smoke test done at large(and all) flap deflections to see the effect on the down wash and what goes on in the area of the elevator.
also lift to drag ratios at large(and all) flap deflections.
i would test at least 5 majorly diffrent sections with 4 0r 5 difrent flap chords for each section(you would ony need 5 flap peices and test all on each of the sections)
section 1--sharp le thin section?
          2--sharp le thick section?
          3--round le thin sec?
          4--round le thick sec?
          5--?
this would be 25 test set ups
all at 75mph?or?
also test all combos at various angle of attacks  airflow  recorded before durring and after airflow stabilizes?
would also like to see what flap deflection does to tip vortices.
just some ideas

David
David Roland

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 08:08:14 AM »
I don't think the "circular airflow is a problem. At any instant, the plane is seeing at most a airflow at an angle to the longitudinal axis--this depends on your leadout position. It is the lines that pull the plane in a circle. So to do a real test, you would like to include their effect which is adding to the drag of the inboard wing, and potentially giving a torque around the verticle axis (again depending on where the leadouts are).

Personally if you have access to a wind tunnel, I say go for it. Some questions you learn to ask by trying something and not understanding what you see. If you already knew the right questions, you probably already know the answers. This is the experience of a Particle Physics experimentalist.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here