News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:08:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Adventure of “Turning to the Dark Side”  (Read 3234 times)

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
My Adventure of “Turning to the Dark Side”
« on: October 10, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
Good afternoon,

I thought I would make available a document that I’ve put together entitled “Turning to the Dark Side – The Building of Circulas 46 IIe” of my very first electric control line model airplane.

This large 98-page PDF file (12mb) is about my thoughts and decisions for designing, developing, building and the flying of my first electric control line model airplane from start to finish. This 8-part article contains step-by-step instructions along with a number of photos from start to finish.

The PDF file can be downloaded at the following link: http://flyinglines.org/nunes.circulas46lle.html

I hope you enjoy reading about it and find some humor as well as some informative information.

Please let me know what you think.

Enjoy,

Dennis Nunes

--------------------------------
Updated Link on 03/24/2021
--------------------------------

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:30:15 AM by Dennis Nunes »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My Adventure of “Turning to the Dark Side”
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 02:26:34 PM »
Good afternoon,

I thought I would make available a document that I’ve put together entitled “Turning to the Dark Side – The Building of Circulas 46 IIe” of my very first electric control line model airplane.

This large 98-page PDF file (12mb) is about my thoughts and decisions for designing, developing, building and the flying of my first electric control line model airplane from start to finish. This 8-part article contains step-by-step instructions along with a number of photos from start to finish.

The PDF file can be downloaded at the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1ztxpzz73ale7m/Circulas 46 IIe - Parts 1-8.pdf?dl=0

I hope you enjoy reading about it and find it some humor as well as some informative information.

Please let me know what you think.

Enjoy,

Dennis Nunes
I find this useful in responding to electric critics. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 07:16:11 PM »
Dennis, nice build, illustrations, and story.  I enjoyed the read.
Fred
Fred

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 11:12:07 PM »
Decided to take a look at your PDF.  It is a work of art and an inspiration.  I was fascinated by how much your path parallels mine.  You are probably finding out that the "Dark Side" isn't all that dark after all.  I still miss the sound, mostly because I have had to watch my language now.

One thing I especially liked was your leadout guide.  I have learned to test them in the far front to the far aft position before covering! HB~>

Your horns are magnificent, have you considered mfg. them?

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 11:22:37 PM »
Decided to take a look at your PDF.  It is a work of art and an inspiration.  I was fascinated by how much your path parallels mine.  You are probably finding out that the "Dark Side" isn't all that dark after all.  I still miss the sound, mostly because I have had to watch my language now.

One thing I especially liked was your leadout guide.  I have learned to test them in the far front to the far aft position before covering! HB~>

Your horns are magnificent, have you considered mfg. them?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the compliment. There are still some "dark" areas that I'm not sure about. But there is differently light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope that its not an oncoming train.

And NO - when it comes to manufacturing control horns. I'm enjoying retired life!   ;D

Dennis

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 02:39:02 PM »
Dennis , Excellent article, very good information. You also gave a very well documented explanation of why one of my flying buddies Mike Massey had such big problems with his electric set up hunting all over the place. Keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:14:55 PM by Walter Hicks »

Offline Tim Just

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 03:51:25 PM »
Dennis, thanks for sharing this. Great information.
Tim

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 01:51:42 PM »
Dennis,
I might have a couple of tidbits for you, after reading about your adventures "on the dark side".  You mentioned that the RPM as set in the timer programmer were different from RPM as measured by a tach.  I noticed that you are using a Talon 60 ESC (by the way, a Talon 35 would be sufficient), and might have an explanation.  If your programmer doesn't have a menu option for a "Talon HIGH RPM" mode, this is an older version.  Will Hubin offers an updated chip for the programmer (less than $10, I think) which has the new "Talon HIGH RPM" mode, and then your programmed and actual RPM will match to within < 50 RPM. 
Also, to increase the line tension further, increase the outboard motor offset to 3 - 3.5 degrees; the difference between 2 and 3 degrees outboard is substantial, and I did not observe any negative side effects.

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 02:33:51 PM »
Dennis,
I might have a couple of tidbits for you, after reading about your adventures "on the dark side".  You mentioned that the RPM as set in the timer programmer were different from RPM as measured by a tach.  I noticed that you are using a Talon 60 ESC (by the way, a Talon 35 would be sufficient), and might have an explanation.  If your programmer doesn't have a menu option for a "Talon HIGH RPM" mode, this is an older version.  Will Hubin offers an updated chip for the programmer (less than $10, I think) which has the new "Talon HIGH RPM" mode, and then your programmed and actual RPM will match to within < 50 RPM. 
Also, to increase the line tension further, increase the outboard motor offset to 3 - 3.5 degrees; the difference between 2 and 3 degrees outboard is substantial, and I did not observe any negative side effects.

Hi Mike,
The FM-9 timer is a newer one and has the "Talon HIGH RPM" setting.   :) Thanks for the tip on the motor offset.

Dennis

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »
Dennis,
Good article.  Thanks for taking the time to write and share it with everybody.

My Agenda (RIP) that I had at the Nats always like to hunt.  It would drive me crazy!  The Trip Strips sound s like a good idea.  Is there anywhere a detailed description of those tools and sizes of the strips to use? 

Thanks again.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 12:42:47 AM »
Dennis,
Good article.  Thanks for taking the time to write and share it with everybody.

My Agenda (RIP) that I had at the Nats always like to hunt.  It would drive me crazy!  The Trip Strips sound s like a good idea.  Is there anywhere a detailed description of those tools and sizes of the strips to use? 
Thanks again.

Hi Crist,

I don't know if there is anything written about trip strips. Trip strips are new for me, but I can share with you what I have learned and done so far. Attached is a PDF file of what I did, tools needed and how I made my trip strips. I put this PDF together rather quickly. I hope it makes sense.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Enjoy,

Dennis

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »
Thanks Dennis.  Made it very clear indeed.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 08:33:19 AM »
Another option to creating the Zig Zag edge is to use pinking shears used in fabric and clothes making.
I am fortunate to have access to a high-quality pinking shears.  I put  the tape on wax paper before cutting
Dennis knows of what he speaks.  My process is about the same.
I cannot honestly say that I can feel the effects of the trip strip.  Maybe I should fly more.  Makes the airplane look like I’m a hot shot :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:50:46 AM by Jim Hoffman »

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »
...I put  the tape on wax paper before cutting...

...Dennis knows of what he speaks...

...I cannot honestly say that I can feel the effects of the trip strip... 

I like the idea of placing the tape on wax paper before cutting.

FYI, I don't know what I speaks! I'm just "sharing" what I've done and my experiences.

All I know is once I got the CG and the LO location dialed in, this removed some of the hunting. However, the trip strips on the stabilizer had a *tremendous* effect on removing the remaining hunting issue. This was especially noticed when I lost one of the strips under the outboard stabilizer!

The jury is still out on the effectiveness of the trip strips on the wing. So far so good, but I want to "play" with the location from the high point of the airfoil.

Dennis

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 09:31:18 PM »
For those who may be interested, I just posted a video that was done several months ago on YouTube of a test flight of Circulas 46 IIe flown by David Fitzgerald. After this flight a couple of adjustments were made and this plane has become one of my favorite planes to fly.

Enjoy,
Dennis

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 06:50:41 AM »
Nice video.  I like the way Dave does a few loops and a H8 and then proceeds to put in a 525 point flight!

Looks like a very nice flying model.  Good for you.

Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 10:42:16 AM »
Nice video.  I like the way Dave does a few loops and a H8 and then proceeds to put in a 525 point flight!

Isn't it amazing. Dave could be flying a barn door and he can make it look good!  y1

Dennis

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 06:23:47 PM »
Very nice Dennis!

The airplane looks pretty darn good.  Just curious if David suggested shortening the down line a tad at the handle to balance out the inside/outside sizes and corner radii?...or other adjustment he felt would balance them out better and not require altered pilot effort for the input to try to make sizes/corners identical.  Just seemed like the outsides were frequently larger and the corners softer than their inside partners.  that was pretty much the only thing that jumped out at me on a consistent basis.

p.s. Hope you docked him for the vertical backside to the triangles, too!  n1 n1 y1

On the other hand you'd never get me to allow anyone to film my first flight on somebody else's ship!

Once again; Bravo!

Ted

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 11:11:58 PM »
...Just curious if David suggested shortening the down line a tad at the handle to balance out the inside/outside sizes and corner radii?...or other adjustment he felt would balance them out better and not require altered pilot effort for the input to try to make sizes/corners identical.  Just seemed like the outsides were frequently larger and the corners softer than their inside partners.  that was pretty much the only thing that jumped out at me on a consistent basis...
There were several adjustments we eventually made. (1) added some nose weight, (2) moved the leadouts back, (3) added a balsa tab to the outboard flap to increase flap area and (4) did several adjustments to the handle (line length and spacing). Great eye Ted!

Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here