News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:09:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Adventure of “Turning to the Dark Side” - Part 9 Flying at the 2021 AMA NATs  (Read 2291 times)

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Good evening everyone,

I thought I would post the link from Flying Lines - News of Northwest Control-Line Aviation website to the 8-part document entitled "Turning to the Dark Side - The Building of Circulas 46 IIe an Electric Profile". The 8-part article is available at http://flyinglines.org/nunes.circulas46lle.html

However, I've added a new section entitled, "Part 9 - Flying at the 2021 AMA Nationals" is now available at: http://flyinglines.org/nunes.circulas.atnats.pdf

I hope you enjoy reading about my adventure or in some cases misadventure.

Stay safe,

Dennis

Rick_Huff

Dennis,
That was a great insight into "life at the Nats", thanks for sharing it.  We ate at the Sunshine once, and have avoided since.
Rick

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Great story of your adventure.  I miss the NATS and also I will never forget my first NATS in 1964 at the Grand Prairie Naval Air station.  Back then it was the Navy barricks and mess hall as I was on foot.  The couple that I rode with made sure I had a bed at the barricks.  They stayed at the motel as women were not allowed to stay over night on the base.  Again thanks for the story. H^^ 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
....my first NATS in 1964 at the Grand Prairie Naval Air station..
Mine too.  It was so different from today.  I flew Stunt, hand launch glider, A-1 and A-2 Nordic, 1/2A Gas Free Flight and rat race.  All over in a week.  Are there any multi discipline contests any more?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
The Northwest Regionals will be offering well over 40 CL events this year in Roseburg Oregon over Labor Day weekend this year.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
The Northwest Regionals will be offering well over 40 CL events this year in Roseburg Oregon over Labor Day weekend this year.
I was referring to the old "AAA" meets with CL,FF, and RC.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Mine too.  It was so different from today.  I flew Stunt, hand launch glider, A-1 and A-2 Nordic, 1/2A Gas Free Flight and rat race.  All over in a week.  Are there any multi discipline contests any more?

Ken

I flew Navy Carrier and combat.  Riley got me in the second round.  They didn't have Rat until much later.  I  remember my first Wichita contest 64 just before the NATS and had all the out door events at the Boeing field. Oh, I got second in Navy Carrier at Wichita that year.   So I thought I had a chance.  The NATS was a big learning curve.H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Dennis
ENJOYED Part 9 - quite an adventure just to get there - GREAT Stuff.

I've done OK at the Sunshine Cafe, but never got the meatloaf(!), although this year I got a piece of "Key Lime Pie" that was not pie shaped at all.  In fact I would describe it as 34B...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Hi Dennis, enjoyed hearing the nats adventure story.  Well done and congrats. 

What are wedges?  Perhaps small balsa trim tabs at TE of the elevator?

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
What are wedges?  Perhaps small balsa trim tabs at TE of the elevator?

Thanks Jim. Here are a couple of photos of the wedges that I used. Howard Rush made these for me on his 3D printer. Mine are attached to the trailing edge of the elevators with rubber cement.

Dennis

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Quite a comprehensive breakdown of your experience, from start to finish. Im commenting, because I appreciate the amount of work you put into simply writing the account. No small undertaking.

Shows alot about your dedication to the sport and I look forward to seeing a full body stunt in Open.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here