Design > Stunt design

moment arms wieght distabution

(1/4) > >>

pete beddows:
can Any one tell me why most stunters have a long nose moment as i would have thought keeping the weight as close to the c/g would have less effect on the handling  or is it just to counter the tail .
thanking you for Any help Pete Beddows. :-\

RC Storick:
Pete I don't usually answer here but I'll tell you my thoughts. The nose only needs to be as long a necessary to balance the aircraft. I like them short so you have to build light.

pete beddows:
thanks Robert
 the reason for this i am trying to draw a LA7 plan up the other problem is the thrust line in relation to the wing and tail what did you do on the SB6
with a radial engine plane the thrust line is central i have used the GEO XL plan as a base but have been addvised to wait for the thunderbolt plan as it has a thicker wing.
  thanking you Pete Beddows. y1

Dick Fowler:

The length of the nose does change the handling characteristics. The turn rate increases for a give pitching force. Think about a combat ship as an example of taking advantage of this. Esthetically I like long nose stunt planes.

L0U CRANE:
Pete,

There are a number of other factors involved. Each of those mentioned, certainly, has a definite effect.

However, all aircraft are a basket of design compromises. The more like another model, the less the variations, but if we want to do something different, those guidelines are of little use.

Long-nosed stunters have some forward mass and area to help against some problems.

Stunter wings  have ENORMOUS lifting potential, when set to appropriate angles of attack. That could mean difficult to control on tight corners, or some other handling quirks. A longer nose adds some 'center of gyration'  inertia to subdue the tendency.

Also, the forward area that comes with it helps 'keep the nose out.'

These are just examples of the complex balance that is the modern stunt model.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version