Design > Stunt design

Loose Lines Sink Ships

(1/3) > >>

Dave Moritz:
I've got a basic, 101-type question. Am having to back up quite a bit on takeoff for a couple of my fun, "experimental" model projects. Engine offset is likely called for. What else could be at work here, or is this the only solution?

Dave Mo...

Dan McEntee:

--- Quote from: Dave Moritz on April 28, 2021, 08:25:00 AM ---I've got a basic, 101-type question. Am having to back up quite a bit on takeoff for a couple of my fun, "experimental" model projects. Engine offset is likely called for. What else could be at work here, or is this the only solution?

Dave Mo...

--- End quote ---

While on the ground, your model can suffer or benefit from wheel alignment just like your car. I take my models to the paved pad at Buder Park or the street and just roll them across the ground to see how they track. If they roll straight, you should be good to go. If one wheel axle is pointed into the circle it make influence how the model tracks. As Ty mentions, the tail wheel is what steers a tail dragger. On tricycle gear it's the nose wheel. As you fly the model a lot and put some time on it, observe how the wheels are wearing. The newer, foam type light wheels will show up miss alignment very well. Make sure the wheels are even from front to back. A simple toe in adjustment can cure a lot of ills, just like on your car. Make it just enough that you can see it. It's all part of trimming out a model!
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Dan McEntee:
   I forgot to add one other thing, and that is how the model is launched can affect this also. Not everyone is the same in this aspect. Sometimes a person can let the model go "wrong" and it will do crazy things. Sometimes a slight nose out stance at release is all that is needed. Stooges can cause problems also. You just have to look at everything while you are trouble shooting the problem.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Jim Svitko:
Don't forget P-factor.

john e. holliday:
I was taught to be on your toes when taking of.  But flying out of grass if a tall weed snags a line you just hope for the best. D>K

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version