News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:13:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for design ideas for trike+pipe  (Read 902 times)

steven yampolsky

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for design ideas for trike+pipe
« on: July 22, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »
Get your thinking caps on!!!  H^^ H^^ H^^

I am looking for ideas :! on how to mount nose gear on a model with a rear exhaust and a pipe. The mount has to be strong enough to take abuse landing on grass imposes.

Ideas?

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Looking for design ideas for trike+pipe
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:56:41 PM »
Dual struts--one on either side of the header??? :!

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:42:44 PM »
I think Jim-O means something like this.  I turned the wires in and captured a single wheel.  You could also turn the axles outward and use a dual nese wheel - if you are so inclined...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »
I have been flying three different trike geared planes, with rear exhaust engines.

On two, both the early Pathfinder 40, a full bodied design from '94 that was flown at the '95 Nats, and the latest Pathfinder LE have the nose gear mounted to the cowl itself. On my version of the All American Eagle, the gear is routed around the exhaust manifold, and mounted to the F-1 bulkhead.

The AAE gear has worked out fine, but the nose gear has some "bounce" to it, looking like a real jet plane, with the way the nose bobs up and down.

The Pathfinders seem to be the best, and sturdiest setup. I have used two variations of attachment to the cowl. Both work good, but the triangle versionis the easiest to make. The version in the pictures is of the other version, and was a bear to bend up. The difference is to avoid the straight fore and aft bends and make a triangle to sit in the grooves.

I'll attach some pics from the Pathfinder LE..
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »
Yampoooo
Twinkies! hink twinkies!!!!
Winfred's Tigercat....B-25......A-26

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »
Both Dennis's and John's ideas work fine. I've done it once with a plane with pipe. I used a sort of modified version of Dennis's idea, though the arms bent back and mounted in removable blocks.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 10:47:15 PM »
I'd offset the nose strut to the inside of the circle, one only. The A-10 Warthog has its nosegear offset to give room for the Gattling gun in the nose. It's barely noticeable, and I wouldn't expect any handling problems.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:29:49 AM »
Great ideas guys!

Dennis, could you show how the capture mechanism works? I'm not picturing how the screw holds the wire down.  HB~>

I've been thinking of an aluminum landing gear plugged into a plywood pocket on outboard fuse side but it might be difficult to make an A-10 like gear look good on a stunt model but what do I know. I'm still in kindergarten when it comes to designing stunt ships. :P

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 03:02:29 PM »
Hi Steve,
My internal pix was taken before I installed the "capture" feature, which is two wheel collars.

What I did was Dremeled in a slot (squared up wih some files) and embedded a pair (one each side) of regular wheel collars.  I slipped the wires in place through the collars, replaced the set screws with regular 4-40's, (lightly coated with oil), then aligned the bolts to point straight out the side.  I floated some epoxy around the collars to lock them down and bring it up to flush.  The oiled screws came right out of the epoxy, then I re-installed the regular set screws.  The last pix points out the allen wrench sized hole to access the set screws.  Frankly, I might replace then with regular cap head screws just because...

As you can see, mine is electric with a firewall mount; the LG mounts reinforce the firewall.  I would swag that it should also work well on a IC engine with a plastic mount.

My wires are 3/32"; I dunno, on a 75 sized bird... You think you might need 1/8?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:33:22 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here