News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:07:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Legacy 40 flaps and elevators  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Legacy 40 flaps and elevators
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »
On the Legacy 40 it shows straight flaps and elevators, on the 60 it has tapered elevators and straight flaps. Should these both be tapered or flat or a mix. Is there a reason for how this is done.

This is the last thing to do for Sams new plane, before she starts the covering.

It will have a piped 40 on it, and it is a Brodac kit.

Thanks Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Legacy 40 flaps and elevators
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 12:44:22 AM »
Steve, you're going to get so many answers on this one that I think you should just pick the answer you like right now and run with it.

In theory a nice pointy hind end on an airfoil makes everything smoother.  In reality, I haven't noticed a huge difference.  My gut feel is that whatever you gain in better aerodynamics, you'll lose it right back again with a less rigid structure, unless you go hog-wild with CF reinforcement or some such.  I know that my Fancherized Twister has flat flaps (I did make a pointy elevator), and I've broken 500 points with it.

I suspect that if you just build the thing per the plan that Sam won't be getting held back by the airplane.

OTOH, if Sam's the one driving the mod -- well, it's her plane.  Just point out that she'll be making things more floppy if she tapers the surfaces.

Or make the surfaces removable, and make one set of each, then compare.  Samantha can use the data gathered for a winning entry in a science fair, and she can write an article for Stunt News.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »
Tim's got it right. My Legacy 40 is one of the best flying 40 sized stunters I have made or flown. Tail feathers were per plans. I'd go with that option and move on.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:46:42 AM »
I am flying a recently completed Legacy 40. I built mine as per plan with flat elevator and flaps. I considered tapering them but decided to keep them flat in order to preserve their strength.

So far I'm very happy with this model, flies really well. I'd go as far as saying it's the best flier I've ever built.
NZL7396

Offline David Felinczak

• Lieutenant
  • Always Remember
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 08:48:51 PM »
Built mine as a Electric with assistance from Bob Hudak and Chris R. and it flies great. Crashed it at Brodak's however damage minimal and finished repairs this week!
Changing Cobra motor from a 840KV to 760 KV to bump the RPMS.
Modified original plan spec to incorporate 4s 3200mah battery and 840 kv motor.
Note: 1st time competing in CLPA Intermediate and scored a 312 on 1st flight!
David Felinczak

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here