News:

• April 17, 2024, 06:21:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kyosho Pitts S2 - for C/L?  (Read 944 times)

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Kyosho Pitts S2 - for C/L?
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:13:16 PM »
Hello all, I've got this Kyosho Pitts S2 .40 size biplane on my wall. It had a Magnum .46 XLS on it. Designed for r/c, it has nasty ground tendencies due to its short coupling, and never made its first flight. It zipped off the side of the runway and found a large pile of asphalt, clipping the gear off. I was wondering how well it would convert to C/L. It has fully symmetrical airfoils and coupled ailerons. It spans about 46 inches. Would it be feasible to use the lower ailerons as flaps? How about the top ailerons? Slave them together? anybody ever tried this?

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Kyosho Pitts S2 - for C/L?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
How much does it weigh  and what is the area of the wings ? might be a little under powered withe the 46
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:17:09 AM »
What was the glide ratio of the Pitts power off?
Most R/C landings are power on, so I'm not sure it will have a favorable glide ratio for C/L

Jim Pollock   ::)

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
The Kyosho specs for the Pitts S-2 are: span 46", area 689 sq inches, weight 6lbs, wing loading 19.8 oz/sq ft. Keep in mind that these figures include radio gear and battery pack. I may remove all the servos and weigh the airframe just to see what it totals up to be. All in all, probably not the best conversion for C/L. I am still curious as to whether a biplane should have all the ailerons coupled as flaps in a stunt configuration.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »
More than a few years ago, I had a Royal Pitts Special with a K&B Sportsman (Sportster?) .45 in it.  I hooked up the lower wing frlaps only.  The plane pulled like a deamon and flew twice as fast! LOL  Man was that a fun ship.  It would do simple things like wing overs and loops, but I never really tried anything else.  It was a blast to fly.  I don't believe it was a s big as yours thoiugh.  I think it had about a 42" ws....I could be wrong though.  Do it....have fun, what the heck, it will just go to waste if you don't. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:09:40 AM »
You would need to get weight down to around 14oz/ft. 
I am building Don Hutchinson's Stearman right now.  He uses flaps on lower wing only, with 20 deg flap and 40 deg elevator.  The flaps on your Pitts look similar in relative area to the Stearman.  Don knows his way around bipes,  see his article about this in the current Stunt News..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 09:09:16 AM »
Don's Stearman is a very good airplane, and is competetive in the right hands.

He is not afraid to try something different. His swept wing F-86 is a very good airplane and his almost scale profile warbirds are very competetive in profile stunt events.
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here