Hello !
 Now i  build my first biplane like biceps   wingspan 47"
  Chord   without flaps    is 8"
 Engine in side position.
Now i am in  choice betwenn engines :
MERCO 49  or  ~>  FOX 60 EAGLE I ?
 weight  of   both engines  is 350 -370 gramm
I know  Merco is  is good stunt engine  , but  his weight  like Fox 60
I don t know about  stunt experience of  Fox Eagle I  60 .
 Anybody have ideas ?
 Thanks

Air Ministry .:
looks nice .

No experiance with the Fox Eagle , but a Merco 49 . With This intake . the Trumpet ish one . But the long lug case , single plug , & a 49 not a 61 . Tho Ive two 61s now , & no 49s .  :-\ :-X :P
Incidently , theres two C'Case Intake bore diameters . Bored one of the 61s to the 1/2 bore Of the Trumpet intake .

The 49 was initially a bit tight , but loosened of & on the Fox Fuel , 27 % oil , 15 & 20 % Nitro , with stock head clearance , ran superbly . Even when you put a muffler on it .  :-X o.k. I was out in the sticks .
The big heavy ugly Super Tigre Quite Muffler, it ran well . No power loss . tho snapped the puny 6 B.A. bolt aft , doing squares .  :P Stock Head Clearance . Australia . Might be ' Nitro ' Comp Ratio for Here ? .

Windsor Wood 12 x 6 , thinned . on the 72 Oz 72 Span Mew Gull . tho'd be more with 4 Oz. muffler !

SO , think a GOOD Merco ( This was as new ) would be dependable & trouble free .

Had the tourque to hold a steady speed , even when it was blowing . Something Id think youd need . As theres a bit of frontal area having several wings & suchlike .

NEEDS GOOD COOLING FLOW , a decent intake area and free flowing cowl discharge . Mine was 7.5 mm intake bore. Will dig out the timing figures . they Vary .
Was a round hole to passage in crank , whereas the 61s I have are rectulinear . One 61 has a 1/4 prop thread/ shaft . & its shorter nosed than the usual 5/16 thread shaft .

I suppose a Merco Muffler would even fit .  S?P Was much gruntier & steadier , rich , with the Nitro . So 10% might be the idea . Ran a steady ' top of ' the four stroke , puled uphill well .with the weight .
Good in the Squares , would stay ' fueled ' . Probly a 6 Oz / 150 c.c. fuel tank .

p.s. Hope youve got a good strong ' no slop ' control system . 1/8 wire ( 3.2 m.m. dia. )  horn wire etc . Plus the 4 inch bellcrank . for leverage . Even a 4 1/2 " bellcrank ! .

Dave Hull:
Michael,

That looks like a fun project!  You might check this thread for some ideas on the Fox Eagle vs. the Merco:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/fox-eagle-engine/

The Divot

Michael Novobrantsev:

--- Quote --- You might check this thread for some ideas on the Fox Eagle vs. the Merco:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/fox-eagle-engine/
--- End quote ---
Thank  you guys .
 This is useful information

Air Ministry .:

--- Quote ---I know  Merco is  is good stunt engine  , but  his weight  like Fox 60
--- End quote ---

Saves Noseweight, so the planes lighter .  :-X

Think mines 130 Ex 110 Trans . Superb run. Will check ' the book ' ( when I find it  :-[)

Keep the pictures flowing .  H^^

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version