News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:03:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I Beam Twin Boom Airplanes  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I Beam Twin Boom Airplanes
« on: May 19, 2007, 09:58:17 AM »
In the Classic forum there is quite a bit of discussion regarding Jack Sheeks twin boom I beam designs.  Most notably the Torino and Sea Vixon.  Was the twin boom approach used to get a longer tail moment without the specter of tail heaviness that a standard design similar to the Nobler can create?  Just wondering.....

Jim Pollock  ???  H^^

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: I Beam Twin Boom Airplanes
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 11:56:41 AM »
I am no aerodynamical weeezardo (THAT'S FER SURE! LL~)....but the quest in building any plane that I build, is to keep it not only light in weight....but more importantly, keeping the frame  and control system from flexing, which will keep that model performaning better for a longer period of time before the ravages of fatique begin to take its tole.

Try to remember, that when control surfaces bend or flex this will effect not only the flight path...but also require the pilot to make constant corrections at the handle.

Any stunt modeler who has ever built the older stock Nobler with that holyer' than thou' fuselage...or didn't take care to beef up the stab and elevators with the right selection of quality balsa....knows the feeling and what happens when flying that model in high wind conditions.

The Nobler wasn't the first or the last model to experience not only flexing of the airframe (due to design flaws...but equally AND MOST IMPORTANT IS FLEXING OF THE CONTROL SYSTEM ITSELF can reduce the flying quality and consistency of performance.

So often many modelers beef up the airframe..but IGNOR  bushing or beefing the pushrod, bellcrank etc and choosing the right stiffness for flaps, elevators..etc.

Actually to me, the control horns themselves are the last buggaaaboo in the control line stunt model flexsation-demon thangie' that bug me the most.

It just takes ONE ITEM IN THAT FLEX FOOD CHAIN control system ...to make a "sow out of silk wallet!"
Years ago...I had a beautiful old Kenhi Panther that flew awesome in light air...but in the wind it hunted...opened up on the square corners with a bottom back-corner hourglass from HELL!

After cutting into the body....I added some plywood bushing-stops  to just one main fuselage former and that inproved the flight  performance.DAY AND NIGHT difference.

Like the duel line precision event sport kites that I fly, the frame stiffness is very important for proper tracking but equally important is the FRAME BALANCE CG POINTS THEMSELVES.
Frame flex during the power faze is important but also the balance point is equally important. If a frame (be it those kites...or a stunt model) when under flying "G" loads...the weirdest things can happen and effect the flight path. The kites however fly from specta bridles...and even a soft bridle line can effect the most perfectly constructed frame.

Being a human bein'...we tend to teach our pea brains to train our muscle memory... then we go about trying to understand  our models strange and individual habitual flight chacteristics,

INSTEAD OF TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT IN THE FIRST PLACE IS CAUSING these flight path changes that take place under different flying or weather wind conditions.

Amazing how many flyers just give up and simply LIVE WITH THAT LACK LUSTER MODEL and in the end, they just  LEARN TO EITHER LOVE OR LEAVE UM.

Kinda sad that we just give up on that model with the poor trim problem and then in some cases find it easier just to build another model...and go through that same process over and over again as we continue the fleeting search for the HOLY GRAIL OF STUNT MODELS.

bottom line divil...
My feeling is...that a twin or triple boomed stunt model has SOOOO MUCH GOING FOR IT!
I finally found one slide that I took of Jim's & Jack's 68 nats Torino....just before that beautiful 1st qualification flight of the day.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 01:28:19 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:40:07 AM »
Jim,
I think the boomers are more a case of using a different platform than anything else.

Many of the boomers were not I-beamers. A large number of Jack Sheeks designs were I-beamers, but not all. Also, as I recall, some of Jack's boomers were not I-beam airplanes. Charles Mackey's boomers were not I-beamers.

Jack pushed the boomer envelope even futher with the swept back wing, but he was not the first to do that either. I admire Jack and Charles more and more each time I look at their designs. They were not afraid to break the mold!

I think that the P-38 probably was a big influence for these airplanes. Bill Suarez's "P-38", was also very successful. It looks like a "P-38", but was single engine airplane.

There are some advantages in tail rigidity, but the boomers also have some inherent problems, notibly the controls. The elevator horn has less support. If you look at the various boomer designs you will see many approaches, including single and twin pushrods to the elevator. Bellcrank locations have also been at the inboard or outboard boom, or in the wing center section.  High emphanage airplanes like the "Carousel" and "Sea Vixen" require special fixtures or jigging to get the incidence and alignment right. Although not shown on the plans, the "Sea Vixen" push rod also has to be braced inside the rudders, similar to the method used on the "Carousel"

I just love the design study that these airplanes present. That is why I have collected so many plans over the years, and why I would also recommend Tom Wilkes' CD of Classic plans to everyone.

The boomer airplanes have their own challenges, but they sure are neat!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 10:25:28 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:18:45 AM »
Jim,

Just an additional note on your question concerning longer tail moment on the boomers.

In general they had the same momments as any conventional airplane. The swept wing (eg "Sea Vixen") designs have a longer tail moment, but this is because the center of lift and therefore the CG is further aft. If you take measurement from the center of lift, you will find that there is really little, if any, difference in the respective tail moments.

As I noted on the other thread, Jack's "Sea Vixen" article mentions that he lengthen the tail moment and locked the center flaps to get more turn due to the high tail.  I had a telephone discussion a few months ago with Jack about this, and he said that the flap lock out was probably not necessary since the original short tail momant was probably the problem. At the time he had also decreased the stabilizer area to get more turn. This is why the drawing shows a radius at the leading edge of the stabilizer next to the rudders.

With a clean piece of paper, the decreased stab area would probably not be required on a new design.

BTW: Jim Vornholt won Senior at the '60 Nats with the "Carousel"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 03:46:10 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:23:17 AM »
Jim, Don, Tom...

Among y'all this is very well covered...

Personal opinion: A boomer is a different look doing the pattern. It MIGHT distract judges from small errors, by catching their eyes on the shape presented, a tad more than the PATH flown. Same-same for long, lean, pointy straight-line shaped models; which accentuate GOOD straight path lines, but (to me) look a bit awkward in rounds and corners. ...Or for fatsy, rounder fuselage lines which disguise flaws in rounds/corners and don't really distort the "path" for straight paths.

Unless there's some wizardry involved, successful stunters MUST use a proven set of proportions. 2-boomers, 3-boomers, no-boomers all must fit that basic requirement...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 11:08:14 AM »
Interesting what you say about "trying to HIDE THE FACTS from the judges..by using bulbola' rounded bodys in order to "blend the mistakes.
However anyone who saw that flight of Jim's in 68 with that Torino....I THINK IT HAD THE OPPOSITE EFFECT and really impressed me and a bunch of others that were blown away by his crisp and accurate corners and shapes.
bottom line:
If your flight pattern is outstanding...the rest is gravy. Nothing seems to really HIDE MISTAKES from a quality judging staff anyhooo. Right? U BE DA JUDGE!  H^^

If what u say is true MASTER LOU CRANE. How can you explain to  RICH LOOMIS...WHO BLEW AWAY THE COMPETITION at the 67 nats with his BOOMER!

Thinkin back....if I remember talking with Dick Mathis at his 2nd place win in 68 about his CHIZLER. He too had mentioned that he DESIGNED the Chizler with not only fat rounded fuselage lines (to blurrr the straight line stuff) but also DESIGNED a paint scheme that would also help blurr the straight line stuff.

THEN COMES ALONG BART KLAPINSKI...with that beautiful Rakish lean lined model with the swept rudder and BLOWS AWAY THE COMPETITION.
WHY?
My unworthy guess....would lead me to believe that his win had NUTTIN TO DO WITH THE BODY LINES of his MODERN THIN RAKISH DESIGNED JET STYLED STUNTER...and simply just boiled down to his truly AMAZINGLY FLOWN PATTERN THAT RULED THE STUNT CIRLCLE  THAT DAY.
Bottom line: If you are a consistant and quality flyer....I HIGHLY DOUBT that the body design lines of the airplane will actually make much of a difference and hopefully the best pattern flown will or SHOULD BE THE FINAL FACTOR.
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
Just found one of the photos that I took of Jim & Jacks beautiful 68 nats Torino, just before that beautiful winning (couldhave?) first qualification EXCEPTIONAL flight of Jims.
Don Shultz

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 05:22:38 PM »
Schultzie,

I don't think anything I said went against your spot-on remarks that the best pattern will get the best score!

Playing with shapes of the models most often makes the flier feel better. If it helps the way a figure looks, so much the better. Even if it doesn't, but the flier thinks it does, he may pick up enough confidence to really cut loose with his best.

The long, pointy sleek models DO look good in GOOD turns and corners, but they CAN make any mistakes, even slight ones, look much more obvious. The guys who won with the long lean monsters flew their win.

"Loose nut at the back of the handle..."

\BEST\LOU

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 06:48:04 PM »
Schultzie,

I don't think anything I said went against your spot-on remarks that the best pattern will get the best score!

Playing with shapes of the models most often makes the flier feel better. If it helps the way a figure looks, so much the better. Even if it doesn't, but the flier thinks it does, he may pick up enough *CONFIDENCE to really cut loose with his best.

The long, pointy sleek models DO look good in GOOD turns and corners, but they CAN make any mistakes, even slight ones, look much more obvious. The guys who won with the long lean monsters flew their win.

"Loose nut at the back of the handle..."

Again..
BOTTOM LINE: Lou! that word CONFIDENCE is forever the KEY TO SUCCESS! Confidence will only come...after a good flyer with good skills and good PRACTICE GOALS in mind when getting used to any stunt model. Also getting the correct input..and learning to understand and SORT OUT THE GOOD INPUT from the poor about your pattern practice sessions.
The more quality practice and knowing the equipment plus understanding how to get any model to perform to the flyers wants and demands...is PRIME IMPORTANCE AND ONLY THEN CAN ANYONE GAIN CONFIDENCE. Also flying that model under ALL KINDS OF VARIBLE CLIMATE AND WIND CONDITIONS..knowing how to change fuels...plugs...setting the handle and again equally important.  Understanding how to adjust C.G locations...and tip weight and handle adjustments....etc etc.
ALL THESE FACTORS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAT THE PROFILE OF THE STUNT MACHINE...N'ALLTHATJAZZ?
NAIL ALL THAT TOGETHER...That will assure any flyer a better chance of ending up in the winners circle than the AXE that he flies?? Huh?

NOT THE DIGGITY DANG MODEL...
Don Shultz

Willis Swindell

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 08:35:50 PM »
I have noticed on swept wing planes the lead outs  exit in different positions, from in front of the leading edge to any positions all the way to the trailing edge. I wonder which is correct?
Willis  ???

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »
Willis:
Jack's articles on his swept wing birds indicate he re-worked the geometry on the bellcrank position & line rake to tuck the leadouts back inside the wing.  Also, it looks like he used less sweep on the birds with the enclosed leadouts.

Sounds like he "evolved" the swept wing to the config in the Torino.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 01:18:44 AM »
Lou,
"Jim, Don, Tom...
Among y'all this is very well covered"

We are having fun discussing something different for a change.
Fuselage shapes have a definite effect on "presentation". Remember Sirotkin's "Space Hound"?.. it had a round fuselage bottom to accent the round maneuvers in the old FAI pattern.

Dennis,
You are right about the evolution of Jack's swept wing designs.
The "Sea Vixen" leadouts "look" too far forward, but I ran the numbers on it yesterday. The leadouts are about 18% of the MAC... about where we have them on our "modern" stunters!
The "Torino" leading edge sweep looks closer to conventional, with a aft sweep at the hinge line. The planform doesn't appear to be too much off the norm. In the above picture, the leadouts "look"" to be very far aft, but I'll bet that they are about where they should be. I'll have to get a set of the "Torino" plans and run the numbers.

Hey, do you think we will drive Lou nuts if we all have Boomers at the next VSC?? (Just kidding Lou)

But, it would be neat to have a lot of Jack's airplanes, as a tribute to him!
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 03:53:10 PM »
Ha! "DRIVE LOU NUTS???? LL~ LL~ Perhaps most of us are already  n~ n~ n~ LL~
Since the beginning of stunt dumb-dome' the profile of a stunt models effect on judging perception has been GOIN'-ROUND & ROUND!

I have a photo of Bob Gieske and Dick Mathis...that I took while they  were discussing this very same thing.  About the Body line of his 2nd Place winning Chizler at this 67 nats.

As you may know if you read the CHIZLER article...he was just one of many many flyers who chose to round the body lines...or make the body lines appear to give the basic same outline in both the inverted and normal flight conditions.  Way this a new way of thinking about body designs for this appearence purpose...NO WAY!!! WHAT GOES ROUND...COMES ROUND!

Waaaay back when Lew McFarland came out with his Shark 35 etc...he too was one of those "ROSEY ROUNDHEALS" stunt fuselage advocate. Lew was noted for his outstanding and consistant patterns.
After careful observation...many folks  still wrongly think that a large swept finned skinny straight line bodied straight line accented paint job show not only a perceived errors when performing the square 8 and  also in the back corner of the hourglass.

My lame theroy only... It is a scientific fact... that THE HUMAN EYE BALL IS REALLY PRETTY CRUDE AN INSTRUMENT when it come to any thing flying and in motion and judging certainly reflected that in the scoring of models with those larger swept fins.

Many many times...when I was flying my old Shark 45's in competiton...judges would always telling me...YOUR SQUARE CORNERS ARE NOT SNAPPY OR SQUARE ENOUGH, but your ROUNDS AND SHAPES ARE PERFECT!
 Humm? Was it my lame errors..(perhaps indeed) or was it just an impression left by the Soft rounded body  lines of the Shark?

The year before...I won the VanCouver Internats...with an old Blue Nobler with a slightly rakish rudder line..(modified from grinding off the rudder on an too low outside loop at a Contest at the beginning of the season.) I was alway praised at just how SNAPPY AND SHARP my square corner were and now...suddenly with the Shark???? It would appear that I had forgotten how to perform a nice square corner??? HUH?

Now with those beautiful virtually SCALE LIKE STUNT MODELS...hummm? It would appear that long rakish lines are truly a thing of the past..OR ARE THEY?
BOTTOM LINE!
Lou...we still LV'YA AND U JUST MAY BE RIGHT and I will defend your RIGHT to what you think the profile body line of the perfect stunt model should look like...n'allthatjazz.
 BW@
Be it the mighty Mustang,rakish Dazzler or Jim's n' Jacks awesome TORINO!

Don Shultz

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 07:12:44 AM »
Don,

My Shark .45 does O.K. on squares.  Of course it's balanced pretty far back in the CG range.

In fact so far back that it sometimes wants to hunt a little in level flight. 

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 02:28:45 PM »
One point of note:  the human eye must constantly refocus on an object.  This was brought to light when studies were done in various athletic events, especially hitting a basball vs. hitting a golf ball.  With the basball moving, the eye would constanly send messages as it refocused.  This is one possible reason that some hitters are better than others.  The ability for the brain to compute the signals from the refocusing of the eyes is different from person to person.  On the other hand, hitting the stationary object (just maikng contact in both cases) was deemed more difficult since the golf ball is "stationary"!  There is still the constant refocusing of the eyes, but the message doesn't "change".

Before anyone jumps on this physiological study, the moving balls were at controlled speeds and "straight", not Nolan's 92 mph slider! LOL!!

The other side of the study was that "making contact' with the moving ball vs. hitting the golf ball in the "desired fashion" was actually easier.  But that draws the muscle memory and coordination factors much more into play when you are hitting the golf ball in a certain direction with any desired movement in flight.

How do I relate this to CLPA??  Funny you should ask!  LL~  A judge has only seconds to "see" the whole maneuver.  It is moving at a good pace, and the "design" of the plane can really cause an "optical illusion", not unlike how some planes appear to rotate around a point in the fuselage when high speed photography actually shows that the plane skids, changes attitude, and might take up 15- 20 feet of total "airspace" to give this illusion of "rotating".  But, it happens so quickly that the eyes/brain are fooled.  It is definitely a matter of perception!  And the "profile" of the airplane can, and does, affect this perception.  We are all different and physically see things slightly differently.

If the judging were done using video tape, we would be much better "suited" to actually score a flight.  But, I am a traditionalist, and do not want to even suggest we do that.  The process would become to technical IMHO, and "presentation" (again IMHO) is an all to important factor in flying CLPA from my feeble mindset to let go of!  ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »
EXHAUST SMOKE TRAILS...are sometimes....so so NOT SO  happy trails after all. I can remember judging at a contest where a tree cast a shadow onto part of the flying circle and the back ground was trees shaded by the sun...

(in other words...we were flying and judging mostly in bright sunlight but the dark background really ACCENTED the exhaust from the models in flight....

Although we tried to ignor the effect....but it was virtually calm and very little wind. The effect of the flaps being deflected and also the compression of air..(???? boundry layer ground effect)????? My dement brain to typing fingers...can't seem to put this into perspective.
Bottom line:
Have you every played tennis or baseball...on a court or field that is partly shaded...Uhhh? Leo??? Delta Park....uhhh The NE side of the old Boeing Aerospace center next to the Indoor Tennis courts???? All these flying spots were horrific to fly a decent pattern on....or even worse....ATTEMPT TO JUDGE THAT EVENT?

WHAT WAS THE WORST PLACE THAT YOU HAVE EVER FLOWN OR JUDGED AN PA event.

(Next!) Choosing the right color scheme FOR THE FUSELAGE OF A STUNTER  is of PRIME IMPORTANCE "VISUALLY SPEAKING!! Although one of my favorite colors for a stunter has always been Deep Dark Metallic Red and maroon trim...BUT ON A BODY LINE!!! IT CAN BE BOTH FATAL! Not only from the flyers view point but equally bad...if one has to judge that model in flight.
REMEMBER STUDIES HAVE PROVEN THAT DARK RED IS THE FIRST COLOR THAT OUR EYE CAN NO LONGER SEE WHILE IN MOTION. (That is unless you have BAT OR BARN OWLS ultra violet...cones installed in your optic nerve cells and demented EYEBALLS!)

Anyone make sense of this drivil crappolllaaaaaaaaweirdo....thought pattern. See what happens when your job for almost thirty years has been suckin toooooooooooommmmaaaany paint fumes. (or was it the Rainier Brew?)
 010! DK^
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 09:22:37 PM »
Don,

My Shark .45 does O.K. on squares.  Of course it's balanced pretty far back in the CG range.

In fact so far back that it sometimes wants to hunt a little in level flight. 

Jim Pollock   H^^

I agree...I loved the visual-line that a Shark projects...THANKS TO LEW McMac, Baby!
Really nice both upside and right side!!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:07:39 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here