News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:46:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HYDRO-CELL TECHNOLOGY FOR STUNT? Makes ya think..."HUMMMM?"  (Read 746 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
HYDRO-CELL TECHNOLOGY FOR STUNT? Makes ya think..."HUMMMM?"
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »

Years ago....much patter' at the PhantomWorks...was over Hydro power for aircraft but not only the R&D money ran out...but also the one of the  main aerodynamical wizards...passed away suddenly and shortly afterwards the other program manager was moved to another Phantom Works project.
Still I see the technology survives...
ANY IDEAS ABOUT THIS TECHNOLOGY FOR STUNT?...
MAKES ME PONDER AND WANDER-WONDER?
Check out this: www.discoverthis.com/hydrocar.html
Don Shultz

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: HYDRO-CELL TECHNOLOGY FOR STUNT? Makes ya think..."HUMMMM?"
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:56:21 PM »
The right battery power is the "holy grail" for electrics of all types. The F3A boys have not waited and have long adopted li poly's for their 2 meter ships. The "right battery" will probably kill combustion engines as we know it. Combustion engines are about 20% efficient at best. Well designed electrics hover around 85%!! Only about 1% of the power of a combustion engines is actually used to move the driver. The rest is wasted as friction, mechanical losses and moving the weight of the vehicle. That said, you will will have to pry my Saito's from my cold dead hands.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 05:45:48 PM »
Milt - great post!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »
Hydrogen is a great fuel, for space shuttles mostly.  For cars, planes, etc. the fuel tank is just too big or expensive to make it economical.  Not to mention how much energy it takes to produce the hydrogen.

Some simple energy calculations:  electric power plant turns about 40% of the energy in its fuel into electricity.  Transmission losses, say a hundred miles to your house, are another 10%, down to 36% of the fuel energy.  Charging your electric car loses another 10-15%.  Down to 31% overall efficiency.  Then the electric motor in the car gets about 80% of the energy to the wheels- 25% overall efficiency.  Compare that to the fact that a typical car puts about 25% of the energy in the tank into turning the wheels.  So fuel to wheels an electric car is only around 10% at best overall more efficient than just burning the gas in an IC engine-powered car.

If you want real efficiency(not economy) and minimal fossil fuel use, get some solar cells installed and use them to charge your Toyota Prius.
phil Cartier

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »
Informative Post...Phil....Thanks!
I wish the Prius was a better looking automobile....GADS! I JUST CAN'T GET USED TO THAT DESIGN..hummmmmmmm?
Come to think about it.....
THE FIRST TIME THAT I SAW A stock NOBLER AT A CONTEST WAAAAY BACK IN THE LATE 50'S....
I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE UGLIEST STUNT MODEL I HAD EVER SEEN...and over the years...every Nobler that I  built I contantly tried to change the body lines into something with more eye appeal....hummm?
Guess after all these years...the basic GEORGEE-BOY NOBLER design kinda grows on you...(like old moss?)  LL~ LL~ LL~ VD~
For example look at this mess I made out trying to modify a standard first with a shaved deck..and then I hacked it apart and added twin rudders. That reeeeeeeeally screwed up a good flying Nobler.
My flyin buds...who ever tried that twin rudder Gobbler....were amazed that I could have messed up such a fine flying Nobler. Not only did they not look right...they also somehow just didn't fly right either??? n~
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here