News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:24:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Horizontal Tail Aspect Ratio  (Read 8552 times)

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Horizontal Tail Aspect Ratio
« on: December 02, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
Chuck and Igor got me thinking.  Some successful West Coast airplanes have tail aspect ratios lower that what one would think they oughta, to wit about 3.4.  Thinking this was because of stiffness, a couple of us made some higher aspect ratio tails with extra-stiff structure. We figured they'd make the airplanes more stable.  The tail I made should have been 6% more effective in stability than the original Impact tail (effectiveness being lift curve slope * tail volume).  It would have been even more if I hadn't put the tips on backward and had to reshape them.  The results were underwhelming.  Putting vortex generators on one of those higher aspect ratio tails improved it so it worked about as well as the lower aspect ratio tail.  Supposing the lower aspect ratio works better, why do you reckon that is? 

Here is the 3D lift curve slope illustrating what Chuck was talking about in another post:
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Horizontal Tail Aspect Ratio
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:15:23 AM »
Define working better/worse in this context and we could take wild guesses why aspect ratio matters here.

Unfortunately most of our NACA Langley brain trust is no longer with us or I could dig up some true expert opinions.  Then again, I found out that anecdotal evidence often trumped the opinions of the smartest, which seemed to be why the oldest ones often built a flying model of a design instead of relying on equations.
Steve

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:28:18 PM »
Then again, I found out that anecdotal evidence often trumped the opinions of the smartest, which seemed to be why the oldest ones often built a flying model of a design instead of relying on equations.

Oh, foolish me, sitting here designing based on experience when I have page after page of calculations I could be doing instead.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 02:48:53 PM »
    Oh, foolish me, sitting here designing based on experience when I have page after page of calculations I could be doing instead.

Brett

Well, that wasn't what I meant, but since my detailed explanation just got choked in a compatibility view issue with the software I'll just say never mind.
Steve

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:31:09 PM »
Well, that wasn't what I meant, but since my detailed explanation just got choked in a compatibility view issue with the software I'll just say never mind.

Methinks Brett was being facetious !!! 
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
Chuck and Igor got me thinking.  Some successful West Coast airplanes have tail aspect ratios lower that what one would think they oughta, to wit about 3.4.  Thinking this was because of stiffness, a couple of us made some higher aspect ratio tails with extra-stiff structure. We figured they'd make the airplanes more stable.  The tail I made should have been 6% more effective in stability than the original Impact tail (effectiveness being lift curve slope * tail volume).  It would have been even more if I hadn't put the tips on backward and had to reshape them.  The results were underwhelming.  Putting vortex generators on one of those higher aspect ratio tails improved it so it worked about as well as the lower aspect ratio tail.  Supposing the lower aspect ratio works better, why do you reckon that is? 

Here is the 3D lift curve slope illustrating what Chuck was talking about in another post:

Howard
I would be very interested in that data, I have also done test by building, rebuilding and the higher aspect ratio worked better...if you call more efficient better, and produced more turn. Now I am not sure why we have different results, maybe it is in the percentage of stab to elev ratio or ???
I have been all over the map thru the decades testing this and what I found was a compromise of what they do best is what works best on my designs. ie... The low aspect stabs seem to be much easier to keep stiff, the long span stabs/elev, seem to produce more turn but are much harder to keep as stiff without twist's in high loads. So the best was a stab/elev in the middle between to 2.
Both versions have their good points
The capped stabs such as MY Evolution and Olympian , and APEX designs also work well,and seem to add span to the stab elev when installed, Bruce perry just did another one of these experiments with his Jester.  Interesting stuff.
Thanks

Randy

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
Yep, putting something on the ends of the stab sounds like a good way to get some aspect ratio benefit without the disadvantages.   

Here's the data on some Impact stabs.  I think my 2008 airplane's stab was too small for its flaps.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 06:08:07 PM »
Define working better/worse in this context and we could take wild guesses why aspect ratio matters here.

I was hoping my new aeroplane would be more interested in flying straight when asked to do so than my previous one.  Mind you, there is trimming yet to do, and some stuff like stab alignment and hinge centering I have yet to check.  Anyhow, I was looking forward to Igor expounding on stab Cl range and boundary layer transition, and to somebody other than me doing a bunch of Profili runs to look for clues.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Yep, putting something on the ends of the stab sounds like a good way to get some aspect ratio benefit without the disadvantages.   

Here's the data on some Impact stabs.  I think my 2008 airplane's stab was too small for its flaps.

The 2008 plane was the Orange one you had through last year?  Now I understand why PW said your flaps were too stiff; you had almost identical tail surfaces to his '92 plane.
Steve

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »
Looks right, flies right. (Usually.)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »
 Howard, from the graph you posted it looks like there isn't any great improvement in Cl  once the stab gets up to 4.5 AR.  Not having a plane in front of me, a 3.4 AR tail might have a 23 in. span and elevators about 3.5 in chord.  The wide elevators would tend to give the plane a more solid neutral- you'd be able to feel the stick forces around neutral more than with narrower elevators.

Good luck.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
The graph is of CLalpha, the lift curve slope.  I don't think I said that clearly, and the axis title is hard to read.  I don't know what CLmax is or if the stab ever gets close to it.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
In the modern era of carbon fibre how hard is it to get the required stiffness regardless of the aspect ratio?

Not very I would imagine.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »
In the modern era of carbon fibre how hard is it to get the required stiffness regardless of the aspect ratio?

Not very I would imagine.

If anyone was actually doing that, then not much. But just based on experience, the lower the aspect ratio the easier it became to consistently pull flat bottoms, and I don't think it is simply a matter of rigidity.  I think this all started when several of is noticed that Gid Adkisson's Laser, while it had some other issues at times (like pulling your shoulder out of joint) it was dead-nuts in pulling out flat bottoms. It had about a 2.5-1 aspect ratios. It seems to have far better feel around neutral than the high aspect ratio stabs. Of course, you have to also start reducing the ratio of the stab to elevator. If you keep it at a 50:50 split, first, it's not as effective (somewhere around 35-40% seems to maximize the lift/torque available) and the increasing chord of the elevator has dramatic effects on the hinge moment.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:11:13 PM »
Methinks Brett was being facetious !!! 
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Randy

Of course.

But "cut and try" and learning from experience is perfectly legitimate as long as you are objective about the results of the "try" and have a basis for doing it. In our case, it's entirely mandatory, since no one has ever determined, in terms of engineering, what makes one airplane fly well, and another very similar airplane not so well. At this point we have better educated guesses than at any time in the past and can pretty easily determine what will *not* work well just by eye. But we are a LOONG way from actually knowing it sufficiently to start from scratch and and accurately predict mathematically what will be a good airplane and what characteristics it will have. Which is OK, because no one can quantify what characteristics we actually want.

Brett

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »
I actually had a theory about why Brett's comments reflected our experience in this area but am reluctant to share it because of the chicken and egg implications.

Ted

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
But we are a LOONG way from actually knowing it sufficiently to start from scratch and and accurately predict mathematically what will be a good airplane and what characteristics it will have. Which is OK, because no one can quantify what characteristics we actually want.

I dimly recall reading a book on sailplane design that was written in the 1970's, and was fairly famous for trying to set out a scientific, "be-all, and-all" approach for designing sailplanes.

What you got if you followed all the science (according to the review), was a sailplane that pretty much followed the trends of 1970's sailplane design, and failed to predict any innovations made since then.

So, yea -- we know where we are now, and maybe this actually is the pinnacle of achievement (or at least maybe this is what's currently in style).  But I suspect that anyone who starts from a "blank sheet of paper" is ether really starting from a decade-long collection of old design ideas, or is about to build a plane that has one or more serious drawbacks compared to current ships.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »
I dimly recall reading a book on sailplane design that was written in the 1970's, and was fairly famous for trying to set out a scientific, "be-all, and-all" approach for designing sailplanes.

What you got if you followed all the science (according to the review), was a sailplane that pretty much followed the trends of 1970's sailplane design, and failed to predict any innovations made since then.

So, yea -- we know where we are now, and maybe this actually is the pinnacle of achievement (or at least maybe this is what's currently in style).  But I suspect that anyone who starts from a "blank sheet of paper" is ether really starting from a decade-long collection of old design ideas, or is about to build a plane that has one or more serious drawbacks compared to current ships.
Just to join this train of thought ...we would never agree on what quantifies a good design-to each his own for sure. I have always thought of my own design work in terms of series. Starting of a new series is triggered by a new power plant with new dynamics or a desire to attack some style issue, overall size etc.   Even so that blank sheet of paper will always carry a great deal from past successful designs of mine.  These things are significant investments in treasure and time.  You'd like to be pretty sure your new creation will work for you.  It can take a handful of airplanes to dial these new numbers in so it seems smart to shape some new cosmetics around a known flight package, a package that suits your own experience and style.  Maybe that's why some seem to fly the same design or even the same airplane forever.  I do think people can get tired of seeing the same old thing show up at the contests but you sure can dress those old numbers to-the-nines and be the new man on campus. 
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline sleepy gomez

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »
  With a lower aspect ratio tail the trailing edge of the elevator will be taller than the high aspect ratio tail even at the same angle of deflection.  This gives more leverage to the tall elevator trailing edge.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
Tail aspect ratio IS important.

The tail AR determines the induced drag from the tail and thus, the tail's effective angle of attack ( which remember, is not the same as the geomentric angle of attack.)

The slope of the lift coefficent curve for the tail decreases according to AR, i.e., a smaller AR has more induced drag and hence a lesser effective angle of attack, since the effective angle of attack is ther superposition of the free airstream and the "induced" vortex caused by the tips.

Reader's digest version sans the math lesson... a higher aspect ratio tail will respond quicker.

The AR effect on horizontal tails is very evident in full-scale designs. Unless you are very brave you always want a much lower aspect ratio on the horizontal tail than the wing. The reason for this is the lower AR reduces the effective AoA for the tail, assuring that the pilot will have adequate elevator control after the wing has stalled to initiate the recovery. (Interestingly, the designer also wants to make sure the horizontal tail is not "blanketing" the vertical tail in case of a spin.)

Since stall recovery isn't much of an issue in stunt, I have one-to-one aspect ratios on my tails and wings. In my mind ( and that can be a scary place ) I can trade off a little TvC for AR and hopefully save a little weight...and then I add to the tail area for good measure anyway so go figure. Seems like no matter what I do, I end up putting weight in the tail, so I figure I'll put it to work for me.

Chuck

AMA 76478

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »
 Chuck said"Since stall recovery isn't much of an issue in stunt, I have one-to-one aspect ratios on my tails and wings."

Hi Chuck
Really? you have built stuntships with a 1 to 1 AR on the wing?  or am I misreading this?

Randy

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »
Heh he, square wings! #^

Thanks for pointing that out.  I guess I mean aspect ratio ratios, as in the AR of the wing and tail are identical. At least on paper, and then once you start building you know how that goes...the old MKI eyeball starts doing the final design work.
AMA 76478

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »
Since stall recovery isn't much of an issue in stunt, I have one-to-one aspect ratios on my tails and wings. In my mind ( and that can be a scary place ) I can trade off a little TvC for AR and hopefully save a little weight...

That's why I wondered why people use such low aspect ratio tails.  I reckon it might be some aeroelastic thing or something about the laminar-turbulent transition wandering around. 

and then I add to the tail area for good measure anyway so go figure. 

That's because you are an S&C guy.  Have you seen Frank Williams's airplanes?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 04:34:13 AM »
That's why I wondered why people use such low aspect ratio tails.  I reckon it might be some aeroelastic thing or something about the laminar-turbulent transition wandering around. 

Or the center of pressure moving back to .6chord at supersonic velocities.
AMA 76478

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
So, anyhow...

My theory (yes, Howard, it was a theory before I started building low AR tails...not after) was fairly simple.

Tails stabilize and or "direct" changes about the pitch axis of the airplane by producing varying amounts of lift which control the rate at which pitch change takes place.

As has been discussed, lift for a given area is influenced by more that just the area and the amount of camber modification which results from deflecting the movable surface.

Perhaps the most prominent of those "other things" is the aspect ratio of the surface.  High and low aspect ratio surfaces of a given area are capable of producing more or less the same amount of lift--and, as a result, redirect the pitch proportionate to the lift they develop.  Lots of lift, rapid pitch change; lesser lift, slower rate of change.

The thing that is differs between high and low ARs is the angle of attack required to produce the lift necessary for a "desired" rate of change.  By and large, high ARs produce that amount of lift at lower angles of attack (less deflection) and low ARs at higher (greater elevator deflection).  The primary source of the "different" angles of attack is the deflection of the elevator.  The low AR will require more deflection than the high AR.

As has been earlier discussed, the high AR will result in (all other things being equal) the desired rate of change at a lower angle of attack (less deflection, less control input, more sensitive response per unit of input).  It will be more sensitive in response rate in ideal conditions and flying in winds will require more "adaptation" to the changing airspeed in maneuvers and the inputs necessary to adapt will be more sensitive as well.  Put a 10 to 1 AR tail of equal area on your Impact or TP and the response will be dramatically different from the ~4.5 or so to one on the stock bird.  Yeah, you could probably trim the airplane and adjust handle spacing to make it usable but it would always be sitting there waiting to catch you unaware.

Now to the meat and potatoes of my "theory".

There is a big difference between producing the required amount of lift for a given rate of change from a low versus high AR.  That difference is the amount of drag resulting from the production of the same amount of lift.  I believe we can agree that lifting surfaces with a 30 to one AR (sailplanes) produce the lift required for a  given task while developing little additional drag.  They are very efficient and can adapt to significant different missions with very modest changes in the cost (drag) of doing so (and, by the way, ask little in the way of thrust to keep them functioning  efficiently).  Put that same area into an airplane designe for high speed flight and, when slower flight is demanded, for landing, etc. the drag goes up dramatically and lots of power and high angles of attack are necessary to keep in functioning as required.

When these effects of aspect ratio are applied to tails the drag produced by low versus high ARs to produce the lift required for a rate of pitch change varies significantly.  Little drag increase for a very high AR tail and lots of drag for a real low AR.  In the days of Fox .35s increasing drag may have been an issue.  In today's stunt world, much less so.

There is an additional effect from increasing the drag per unit of lift from the tail by lowering the AR.  Doing so moves the Neutral Point (the point at which all of the aerodynamic loads acting on the vehicle are "centered") of the vehicle aft (like adding more feathers to an arrow) which simultaneously increases the static margin (the distance between the CG and the NP making the vehicle "more" stable in pitch.  The greater the pitch rate commanded the greater the lift, the greater the drag from the tail and the greater the aftward movement of the NP.  The result, in my theory, is an airplane that is more stable in pitch response despite an aft CG that allows the aggressive maneuvering required to wing toy airplane "trick" events.  It is much easier to fly into and out of a corner because the airplane's response will be less "twitchy" for a given rate of change than one with a very high AR tail.

In "Ted's theory" there is a certain element of the holy grail in finding an optimum AR to the tail and my feeling is that something lower than the AR of the wing is probably "better".  As in all things stunt, I think extremes must be avoided because we must combine aggressive response with controlled precision.  It's easy to make a stunt plane turn quicker than you can fly it competitively and one of the ways of doing so is to use "very high" AR tails which will produce explosive amounts of lift with very modest input.  Great if you've got Superman's reflexes but not a viable source of trophies for the mortals among us.

All of the talk about hinge loads are valid, by the way, and militate against excessive use of super low ARs.  Enough line to tension to deflect very low AR, large area elevators against the airloads is a real issue and can't be ignored.  Other things that will effect the "optimum" will be flap size and deflection and the negative pitching moments which result that must be overcome by the tail.

At any rate.  That's more or less the thought process that led me to use lower AR tails.   I've been very comfortable over the years with the TP series which, I feel, provide very predictable and controllable responses under a wide range of flying conditions.  I think the modestly low AR tail plays some role in that.

Ted

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 07:05:55 AM »
Hmmm ... I do not see reason why to bother with AR of tail and its lift sensitivity to AoA or elevator deflection. If it is not enough, we can just use larger, or deflect it more. And second thing the induced drag and induced AoA depends not only on AR but also on lift coefficient. And the lift coefficient during maneuver is relatively low (compared to the wing), because tail must make only lift necessary to compensate CG moment and wing pitching moment and it is not too much. So not only induced drag is so low that it does not count (for Ted: yes the drag of the tail will make some stabilizing moment, but lift of the tail will be much more effective, so I thing higher AR will make stronger stabilizing moment because of better lift slope than drag of lower AR ... for explaining I can borrow you example with arrow - arrow with proper "lifting tail" made from flat surfaces is more effective that "something draggy" on end of arrow ... but as I wrote I do not think we can even see it during radius).

We have only one moment when the tail makes high lift, and it is when the tail must accelerate to the corner. Means the transition from straight path to radial. If the tail makes too strong kick and then cannot keep entered radius, or just opposite - cannot accelerate and then during radius kicks too much, then the model does not make good feeling. The same is with stopping effect after the corner.

It is because the maximal lift of tail is affected by AR but AoA of 0 lift with deflected elevator is NOT affected by AR ... because the slope of the lift curve depends on lift coefficient, which is very low when model fly on radial path with low tail lift, but large when it enters the radius.

I wrote about it in another thread some time ago. This effect need proper balance of elevator to stab ratio, tail length and AR, but while first two things can have optimum, I think low AR can only make some kind of damping if it is off the balance..

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »
Igor, not sure I agree with all of that.

The slope of the lift curve depends on the Aspect Ratio, and the zero-lift angle of attack depends on the flap deflection.

In other words, we determine the Lift Curve with the flap deflected, and then we adjust for aspect ratio.

The lift slope is simply the Lift Coefficient plotted as a function of angle of attack for whatever configuration ( flap deflection ) of the airfoil we choose.

The Aspect Ratio is the variable we need to convert the 2D flow from a test section to 3D flow on a wing or tail.

We care because it is the dynamic stability, not the static stability that matters to the pilot.

So, *Theoroetically* for a given control response (moment) if we raise the tail's Aspect Ratio we could lower the Tail Volume Coefficient, save a little weight. Another factor is that we would have more stability in turbulence, since any gust that affects the flow field around the wing will create a bigger effect on the aircraft's total moment contribution from the tail (because the wing's downwash angle changes due to the gust and the lift curve is steeper for the higher AR tail.)

But the nice thing is, it doesn't cost millions of dollars for us to build a prototype and test, so as controline pilots we have an enormous database of experimental results to choose from!

<<Edited to fix something I said that I'm not sure was right. >>

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:07:39 AM by Chuck_Smith »
AMA 76478

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
"controll response" is not only "moment" as you wrote but also "radius" at which model flies for given pilot input and that more depends on zero lift AoA the lift (moment) of tail. And since any lift slope change does not change AoA of 0 lift then also radius is affected only little ... that is waht I am writing.

I do not mean 2d flow, or 3d flow or lift coefficient plots or saved grams on tail volume ... it not important, it can be easily compensated by proper trim, I speak about feeling of pilot, that is important in this case, reread what Ted wrote ... I mean exactly that ... and that is what you cannot easily change during trimming if you do THIS thing wrong ... beacuse trimming that "feeling" means change one of those 3 things which are usualy not object of trimming.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »
Oh Igor, we agree.

All this is nice to think about, but there is no substitute for a well-built model being flown by a skilled pilot.

Chuck
AMA 76478

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks, Ted.  That tells me why you went to a low aspect ratio tail, but I am not convinced that that's why they work.

There is an additional effect from increasing the drag per unit of lift from the tail by lowering the AR.  Doing so moves the Neutral Point (the point at which all of the aerodynamic loads acting on the vehicle are "centered") of the vehicle aft (like adding more feathers to an arrow) which simultaneously increases the static margin (the distance between the CG and the NP making the vehicle "more" stable in pitch.  The greater the pitch rate commanded the greater the lift, the greater the drag from the tail and the greater the aftward movement of the NP.  The result, in my theory, is an airplane that is more stable in pitch response despite an aft CG that allows the aggressive maneuvering required to wing toy airplane "trick" events.  

I have read this a number of times on these fora, so I felt compelled to do some calculations to show the actual aerodynamics.  Calculations are simplified, but serve to make the point.   Thinking that the stabilizing moment of the tail comes from drag is intuitive, but it's wrong.   Tail drag makes a contribution, but it is insignificant compared to that of tail lift, and it has the opposite sign.  I compared two stabilizer-elevator combinations, one with 3.4 aspect ratio (the original Impact) and one with 5 aspect ratio.  Both had half-chord sweep of 10 degrees.  Lift curve slope is from the plot in the post above.  I assumed the same area and the same tail moment arm = twice the mean aerodynamic chord.  Drag shown is induced  (e = 1, Chuck and Serge). I could have thrown is some other drag.  Triple what's shown if you like.  I disregarded downwash, wing wake, and pitch rate effects: they are the same for both tails in steady flight.  I picked 164 square inches for the stab, 700 for the wing, but these affect only the numbers on the Cm axis of the second plot.

The first plot shows lift and drag for the two tails.  Drag for the low-aspect-ratio tail goes up steeper with angle of attack than it does for the high-aspect-ratio tail, as Ted said.  Now look at lift.  It increases way steeper than drag, and goes up steeper for the higher-aspect-ratio tail than for the lower.  

Now look at the moment (torque) contributions of lift and drag.  Moment is force x a moment arm.  The lift contribution is lift x the tail moment arm.  The drag contribution is drag x the distance of the stab above or below the wing quarter chord centerline (Cl * Lt * cos alpha and Cd * Lt * sin alpha respectively).    The first is way bigger than the second.  The second plot shows that a big number multiplied by a big number is a lot bigger than a small number multiplied by a small number.  The slope of the lift contribution for either stab is way more than the slope of the drag contribution.  The slope of the Cm vs. alpha curve is the stabilizing effect of the stabilizer.  The neutral point of the airplane with the higher-aspect-ratio stab will be aft of the neutral point of the airplane with the lower-aspect-ratio stab.

Edited to make minor sign change in all the Cm plots.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:42:21 AM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 05:28:41 AM »
Howard, the chart do a good job of showing the 3-D effects.

Yes, the stick-fixed neutral point will move by the Tail Volume coefficient times the ratio of the lift slopes for the AR's being compared... but that's static stability.

You can balance a marble on the head of a pin and have it be statically stable but not dynamically. Same thing happens with airplanes.

Dynamic stability is what's important, and the nice thing about that is that dynamic stability guarantees static stability.

The higher AR tail should offer more dynamic stability, since the slope of dCm/dAoa  for the whole airplane will be more negative due to the steeper dCl/dAoa for the higher aspect ratio tail.

That means, that when you hit a gust or turbulence the ship with the higher aspect ratio tail will recover faster than one with a lower AR tail - everything else being equal... I think... Need to go have a beer on that and work it out.

<<edited to change "Be more stable" to "recover faster" wrgt to the stabilty and aspect ratio of the tail. >>
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:10:14 AM by Chuck_Smith »
AMA 76478

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 01:04:58 PM »
That means, that when you hit a gust or turbulence the ship with the higher aspect ratio tail will recover faster than one with a lower AR tail - everything else being equal... I think... Need to go have a beer on that and work it out.

Looking at Ted's post, I gather that may not be what he wants (the turbulence response, that is.  I don't know about the beer).
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »
Dynamic stability is what's important, and the nice thing about that is that dynamic stability guarantees static stability.

Has anybody tried to estimate the dynamics of a stunter?  I know that guys are really good at feeling the dynamic response and trimming to get what they want.  It would be interesting to see that quantified.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 02:35:31 PM »
Howard, the chart do a good job of showing the 3-D effects.

Yes, the stick-fixed neutral point will move by the Tail Volume coefficient times the ratio of the lift slopes for the AR's being compared... but that's static stability.

You can balance a marble on the head of a pin and have it be statically stable but not dynamically. Same thing happens with airplanes.

The higher AR tail should offer more dynamic stability, since the slope of dCm/dAoa  for the whole airplane will be more negative due to the steeper dCl/dAoa for the higher aspect ratio tail.

<<edited to change "Be more stable" to "recover faster" wrgt to the stabilty and aspect ratio of the tail. >>

I have designs I fly with high A/R , low A/R and mid A/R stabs, anywhere as high as 10 to 1 or 5 to 1 ,depending on what is incuded..ie elevators or just the stab, I have found the high A/R are very stable and turn very well, but are much harder to make as stiff (stiff vs. lightness) as the low A/R ones. Both seem to work well, But I like the turn and lock of the higher A/R ones best, so my latest one, past 15 years or so are a compromise of the two, or a MID A/R stab elev. setup.
It is just so much easier to make a really stiff stab ,low  AR  than high AR, this is why I tend to lean toward the wider stabs
My Vectra was the last really high A/R stab ship I built and it is very stable in high and gusty winds, but It has much more work in trying to get a really stiff stab, and these normally always weigh more, per sq in that the lower ones.
What does seem the most important in my designs is the percentages, ie 25% to 28% of the total wing area. I have gone as low as 20 and as high as 30%, there is also a relationship with the shorter, or longer tail moment.
Now I realize that only taking a percentage is not optimal, but in the realm of using wings only in the range of 600 to 700 sq in, it does seem to work very well , as long as the tail moment is not way out of range.
I also have flown an awful lot of other pilots airplanes and enjoy seeing what I think works better, or worse, and why.
It would be great  if we had numbers and formulas to use for any stuntship design, but I personal can see no way for that to ever be the case, there are just way too many factors involved.
Randy

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »
Maybe what we need is a Cooper-Harper scale for stunt ships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NASA_diagram_of_Cooper-Harper_rating_scale.jpeg

This was developed the same year I was born and is still the "Gold Standard" for aircraft handling.  I have been associated with Calspan engineers with the TIFFS and VISTA pltaforms, and they still use it.

Maybe we can modify it for stunt ships and create a databse.. of course on a secure server with US access only, LOL!

I propose we call it the Rush-Smith scale.

Funny aside: The VISTA F16 was re-engined from a GE engine to a Pratt and Whitney with a 2D vectoring nozzle. It was the fastest moving "control surface" on the aircraft". I was in the Calspan hangar one night, and they were showing films of the "Cobra " manuever... and suggested that with that nozzle the verical fin and rudder was redundant with the right control system. I suggested they simulate removing the entire asssembly and see how it flew. The answer I got was "What if you lose the engine?" I replied "Feet and knees together, eyes on the horizon."

It was poorly received.

Still, imagine the confused look on some poor Sukhoi driver when a Viper pulled up, flipped and frisbeed around to get a firing solution!

Chuck

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:11:46 PM by Chuck_Smith »
AMA 76478

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »
I too was amazed at Gid's Laser way back when.  I came very close to making this whole discussion Moot.  I launched Gid at the Nats for his first practice flight on the Tuesday evening he got there (Vincennes).  Someone brought his plane and he came in late.  It was the biggest plane I'd ever held.  A huge fuselage and a really tall vertical tail.  He motioned for release and I slowly let it ooze out of my fingertips like I normally launch.  But, oops, the guy wire from rudder to stab caught my wristwatch.  It pulled my watch down to my fingertips.  Oh crap, bad move.  But the plane lunbered on, and Gid said he didn't feel a thing.  Gid went on to make the top five in spite of me.

I have been through almost all of the thought process presented here at one time or another.

But I think the reason we like a low AR tail is because the airflow directly downstream of the prop is probably 10% faster than outboard.   With a low AR tail, this puts more area in a higher q flow than with a high AR tail.  q~v**2. 

Well damped dynamic stability is what we are after.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here