News:

• April 18, 2024, 12:34:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hinging on flapless stunter  (Read 13588 times)

Offline Keith Renecle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Hinging on flapless stunter
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:15:56 AM »
Hi All,

I recently built a simple .40 sized flapless electric powered stunter, and I am totally puzzled as to why it has the outer wing tip going down on UP elevator and going up on DOWN elevator. It hinges on the lines as if I have too much tip weight in it. I have even removed the tip weight and moved the lead-outs back and forwards and it makes no difference to this hinging. I have included a 3-view with the wing dimensions on it. The wing halves have equal span and are made from foam cores that are covered in medium tissue and white glue. The weight is 1140 grams (40.2 oz.) all-up with battery on board, and the wing area is around 576 sq. inches. The wing loading is not excessive in my view, but maybe the wing itself is too heavy?? Just btw, I am flying at 5800 ft. ASL, so this also means thin air.

The CG is at 18 to 20% of the wing chord from the leading edge and it flies pretty well for a trainer. Maybe the wing span is too short, or the aspect ratio at 4:1 too low?? Any idea's?? Thanks.

Keith R

Keith R

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Re: Hinging on flapless stunter
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 01:23:57 AM »
Can your pit man tell if the wings are a level extension of the lines during upright and inverted flat laps? If so, the tip weight is probably okay, and the wing doesn't have any twist. All I can think of is maybe the stab is not parallel with the wing.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 02:29:25 AM »
Do you mean toward the wheels on up elevator and toward the canopy on down elevator?

If so I'd check for wing twist.

The aspect ratio would cause it to slow down excessively in sharp turns, but I'd be surprised if it's causing your problem.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »
Maybe reversing the prop rotation helps?

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 06:13:25 AM »
Is the meaning of "Hinging" the same as you would refer to as "Rolling" in a free flying plane? That's what I based my answer on.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 07:01:10 AM »
Hi All,

I recently built a simple .40 sized flapless electric powered stunter, and I am totally puzzled as to why it has the outer wing tip going down on UP elevator and going up on DOWN elevator. It hinges on the lines as if I have too much tip weight in it. I have even removed the tip weight and moved the lead-outs back and forwards and it makes no difference to this hinging. I have included a 3-view with the wing dimensions on it. The wing halves have equal span and are made from foam cores that are covered in medium tissue and white glue. The weight is 1140 grams (40.2 oz.) all-up with battery on board, and the wing area is around 576 sq. inches. The wing loading is not excessive in my view, but maybe the wing itself is too heavy?? Just btw, I am flying at 5800 ft. ASL, so this also means thin air.

The CG is at 18 to 20% of the wing chord from the leading edge and it flies pretty well for a trainer. Maybe the wing span is too short, or the aspect ratio at 4:1 too low?? Any idea's?? Thanks.

You probably need a rudder adjustment. It's very unlikely to be a design issue. Constant-chord wings on Profiles are particularly sensitive to roll/yaw coupling.

Does this one have a reverse-rotation prop?  That can also cause substantial "funnies", too.

Brett

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
Hi All, Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a reverse rotation prop. I will indeed try a normal one soon. My hinging word is actually not correct......it is roll. Some or other world champ in Slovakia kindly pointed that out to me this morning. mw~ It has a little rudder offset on that small fin as you can see in the picture, and I could "bend it straight" (good South African phrase!) if I have to.

Tim......yes that is what I mean. It rolls towards the wheels on up elevator and the other way on down. It's not a huge amount and it still flies reasonably well like it is. I'm just very curious to know what is causing it. I have checked the stab alignment with the wing and it was out by about 2 mm. I built this thing in about 4 days, so plenty could have gone wrong. It is also flying with the outer wing very slightly down if you really look hard. It did take someone on the outside of the circle to make sure. I will also correct this before flying again. Oh, and I did re-align the stab before the last flight as well and there was zero noticeable difference.

Some years ago, I had a lot of success with teaching kids on a similar model that I called the "Big Eze" with the old Tower Hobbies .40 on it. It worked really well, especially with the diesel conversion. I always made the wings of equal span because I thought that maybe the side-mounted engine and fuel tank shaded some of the airflow from the wing centre on that side. I basically copied the design for this new model, but the wing is foam and paper instead of being built-up and covered with plastic film. I also considered that the wing itself may be too heavy and the equal span could be a problem. I will also try some modelling clay on the inside wing to see if this changes anything. Wow.......this was supposed to be a simple model!!

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:59:59 AM »
Some or other world champ in Slovakia kindly pointed that out to me this morning.

I am sure I know one wch who will recommend trivial solution - less tip weight VD~ ... and since I know whole storry, I will also point out, that if you cannot remove tip weight from outer wing, you can add little bit instead ... but to the INNER wing tip  S?P  :- ))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 10:30:24 AM »
Wow.......this was supposed to be a simple model!!

It will be.  After you get the funnies worked out.

I think there's a place for a 40-sized simple flapless design, to get the advantage of size while still relieving a beginner from the complexity of getting a flapped ship into good trim.  Kind of a big Skyray.  It'll be good to see how this one pans out.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 10:51:21 AM »
Thanks Igor....I will try the inner wing tip weight first. Looks like this week-end is going be blown out in our area with rather strong wind, but I'll report back as soon as I've done these tests.

I really like the .40 size models, especially now when the 2820 size electric motors are popular and inexpensive (not cheap!). The APC 11 x 5.5 E prop is also readily available, and a 2200 mAh 4S Lipo works well at our altitude as well. When I had the old Big Eze with the Tower .40 on it, I asked the kids why it was that they all preferred to fly the diesel version. Eventually it came down to the fact that they felt confident with it because they knew that it would not quit on them suddenly. The glow versions often spluttered and died near to the end of the fuel, just before the overhead eight or clover. Even if the diesel spluttered a bit it simply would never quit, and the other thing was that it ran at a very predictable constant rpm. Today, electric power is very similar, only easier now and "usually"" smells better as well. The pilots know that the motor will run the same all the time.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »
Keith, it would be interesting to know if when flying inverted, the outboard wing tip is down about the same amount. If does fly tip-down inverted, then removing some tip weight should fix it. If it flies inverted with the tip-up, then a slight twist in the wing is acting like an aileron and should be located and straightened, or a small trim tab added to the trailing edge, bent slightly down as viewed with the plane upright. Hopefully it isn't a combination of problems. Your outside observer should know to watch and follow the lines into the wing to most easily see this. You probably already know that, but just making sure the helper does.
Rusty

EDIT: If Igor contradicts what I say... do what he says.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 08:38:27 PM »
What is the 2mm misalignment direction?
Is the inner wing forward of the outer wing, relative to the stab (looking down on a "plan" view)?
If so, this combined with a forward CG would cause a right roll on up elevator (and even in level flight I think if it was really cg forward) if it was an RC plane.
So that coupled with a couple other things might be the culprit.

I hope you find out what it is, because now I'm curious!

Good luck,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 12:32:59 AM »
Rusty......the wing is up inverted so it is a small twist somewhere. I could see that it looked a little out and this is why I asked my young friend Theo Kleynhans to look for me. I think that you know Theo from the 1/2A stuff. We actually discussed adding a tab on the outboard trailing edge to get it level. That seems like an easy solution, so I'll do that.

Chris, the stab was 2mm closer to the outboard wing, but like I said, after I corrected it, there was still no difference. I am just as curious to know what is causing this roll thing. That's why I posted it here! I'll be sure to post an update soon.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 04:27:37 AM »
Weird indeed.
Hope you find the cause.
Goodluck and regards.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 05:37:49 AM »
Yeah, Keith I do know Theo from Cox engine forum. He's a fast learner and builds nice planes. Sounds like you've got good help with this rolling problem. Let us know how it works out.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 11:24:10 AM »
Yes Theo is indeed a fast learner, and his flying and building skills have come on so nicely. His enthusiasm is also contagious so I enjoy being around him. He is as you know, an avid 1/2A guy.

I'll get back to trying to sort out my rolling plane in a few days.

Keith R
Keith R

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »
I am sure I know one wch who will recommend trivial solution - less tip weight VD~ ... and since I know whole storry, I will also point out, that if you cannot remove tip weight from outer wing, you can add little bit instead ... but to the INNER wing tip  S?P  :- ))))
'
   Oh, I missed that part. Certainly, remove tip weight or add it to the inboard until the hinging goes away, then see what you have.

The only sensible way to *compare* tipweight is to balance the airplane laterally first, then determine the differential. Depending on how you arranged the parts (particularly the battery on the outboard side) you can have A LOT of lateral CG shift "built in".

Brett

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
'
   Oh, I missed that part. Certainly, remove tip weight or add it to the inboard until the hinging goes away, then see what you have.  Brett

I'm very pleased to see this. I have never "trimmed" a stunt model so far, but it did occur to me that E-Z-Duzzit, (although not flapless) with its unusually long inboard wing, might benefit with a little inboard tip weight.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 04:45:35 PM »
I'm very pleased to see this. I have never "trimmed" a stunt model so far, but it did occur to me that E-Z-Duzzit, (although not flapless) with its unusually long inboard wing, might benefit with a little inboard tip weight.
Maybe. You really need an outside spotter who understands what to look for and compare the plane's behaviour upright and inverted to get the whole story on tip weight, flap position, and wing warp. That'll save you a lot of time just throwing weight at it and tweaking flaps hoping to hit the sweet spot.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 07:37:12 PM »

There aren't any "tip weight police", so if you start taking it out of the outboard and it still hinges when it's all gone, there's nothing wrong with putting it on the inboard. It needs what it needs.

A lot of people tend to create this situation by selecting the wood and putting all the heavier wood on the outboard wing - which saves a bit of weight overall, usually,  but also makes the flex properties of the wings different, which is potentially a MUCH bigger problem than fractions of an ounce of overall weight.

Beware the other problem, though.  If the fuselage is way off-center, the engine thrust line is also way off-center and adding tipweight on the inboard side can make the takeoffs even more hairy. Same issue as the All-American. The solution is to use a lot of engine offset to keep the thrust line through the CG.

Brett

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »
The solution is to use a lot of engine offset to keep the thrust line through the CG.

If you're using a rocket for thrust.

Edit: Oh, yes for takeoff when there's no airspeed yet.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 08:11:50 PM »
I built a bunch of airplanes with this wing shape.  They have significant "dihedral" effect.  Thus if they go through the air left wing first (as they will downwind, especially), they will roll out in maneuvers as if they had too much tip weight.  Balancing that by moving the CG left can cause other perversions, e.g. the right tip stalling before the left.  I suggest that you ascertain that the rudder or leadout position isn't causing a lot of sidslip.  Take out the warp first, though.

Edit: I looked above and saw that Brett already said this:
 You probably need a rudder adjustment. It's very unlikely to be a design issue. Constant-chord wings on Profiles are particularly sensitive to roll/yaw coupling.

Does this one have a reverse-rotation prop?  That can also cause substantial "funnies", too.

Brett

You might wait until you change prop direction to do the dewarping.

The Jive Combat Team

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2015, 09:09:01 PM »
If you're using a rocket for thrust.

Edit: Oh, yes for takeoff when there's no airspeed yet.

Again, I have yet to see any particularly interesting effects of changing the spin vector direction that cannot be readily explained by looking at the CG and thrust vector. 

Brett

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »
Again, I have yet to see any particularly interesting effects of changing the spin vector direction that cannot be readily explained by looking at the CG and thrust vector.

I'm not sure what you mean.

I am curious about the forces and moments on propellers with the axis at an angle to the free stream.  This, I think, is amenable to measure using a Miata, a broomstick, and some baggage-weighing-scale strain gauges.  I'm also curious about forces and moments as functions of angular rate.  So far I've been too lazy even to do a literature search.  If anybody wants to conspire on an experiment, please let me know.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
random thought based upon experience,, if your fuse is floppy,, so will your manuevers
actually,, as Howard educated me on my profile,, the tail was moving,, which was deflecting the elevator differently than I desired,, because the lateral movement effectivly lenghtened and shortened the pushrod as the tail flexed,,
probably nothing to do with your problem,, but soemthing to check
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 08:40:42 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean.

What it means is that if you aim the engine somewhere, the effects seem to be consistent with assuming that the thrust vector moves accordingly. In other words, it *does* seem to work about like a rocket engine, in motion, or not.

Brett

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 12:42:27 AM »
We've probably discussed this before.  Putting engine offset into combat planes gave me the notion that it's different.  The incremental line tension seemed to be several pounds: lots more that T sin β.  I looked into props at an angle of attack awhile back (1978 or so) at work and found some papers on the subject, but I have forgotten what they said.  Electric power makes a test stand on the Miata a little more appealing, so maybe I can get some data.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 01:13:07 AM »
O.K. yesterday we had really good weather, and I even finished painting the beast......except for the inner wingtip because I needed to stick some weights on it. I could not "bend the wing straight" so I opted for a trim tab on the outer wing. It did not take much tab to level the wings. I replaced the pusher prop with the standard APC 11 x 5.5 E and the same problem was still there. It actually flies fairly well for a stunt trainer, and if you don't whack the controls really hard, it can perform a pretty good pattern.

I then added 10 gram of weight to the inner wingtip and tried it like that. I could feel the difference but's it's hard to explain, and the outer wing still drops in a hard inside loop, and the same with the outside loops. I added another 10 grams and it still does exactly the same but no longer flies as well. I played with the lead-out guide and could get the outer wingtip hinging forward when I went back too far. The best position I found was with the front line close to the CG. I did consider removing the outer wing tip weight but then did not bother because the extra 20 grams in the inner wingtip did not seem to effect the problem at hand.

I checked the balance between the wings by removing the tip weight and the inner wing drops due to the extra weight of the lead-outs. I added 10 grams to the tip weight box and the model balances level. I fly it with 20 grams and like that the outer wing drops, so I would guess that the wing halves weigh close to the same amount. Right now after reading what Brett and Howard say about this sort of wing, I think that maybe I got the aspect ratio wrong, and it could be too wide. I will most likely build another one with more wingspan and a narrower chord to see what it does. Like I said, it flies quite well even with this problem, but that is most likely due to the good "engine" run! Here is a pic of how it looks now.

Keith R

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:02:53 PM by Keith Renecle »
Keith R

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »
Since the logical & traditional stuff did not work, I suggest something a bit more extreme:  The airplane is behaving as if the inboard wing is too big (never mind the REAL dimensions) To counter this try adding outboard wing area.  Cut an airfoil out of 1" thick styro and tape it to the outboard tip, adding lift to that wing.  I believe the Teosawki formula includes a slightly longer outboard wing - so there is precedence.

Tip weight at 1 ounce for starters and expect to add some.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 08:38:40 AM »

I then added 10 gram of weight to the inner wingtip and  ..... the outer wing still drops in a hard inside loop but ... no longer flies as well.

so I would say you are hiding some trimm issue by excessive tip weight, I would firts set proper tip weight and only then try to solve "that other problem" :- )))  ... may be PW trimming chard will help ... I should have a link somewhere in my incomming mails, if you need it, I can find it somewhere, someone sent it to me recently :- )))))))))))))))))))))

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »
Thanks Dennis and Igor. I have tried various amounts of tip weight and lead-out settings. I did in fact think about adding some more outboard area, and I like your idea Dennis. I do have the foam cutting templates so that could be done.

Hmm....Igor, I wonder who sent you that link to PW's new trimming articles??  S?P

Keith R
Keith R

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »
Hmm....Igor, I wonder who sent you that link to PW's new trimming articles??  S?P
Keith R
LL~   LL~  Good one Keith!
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 12:30:02 AM »
O.K. I did some more trimming and checked the lap times. It was turning at 5.1 sec's/lap on the 60 foot (eyelet to eyelet) lines, and a little soft on the vertical eights, so I added another 10 grams. It now has 25 grams in the tip weight box. I had removed the 10 gram weight previously because of the dropping wing. It still dropped the wing so I decided that maybe the speed was too slow for the weight and thin air. I added some rpm and it was 10 400 on the 11 x 5.5 prop. This pushed up the lap times to 4.9 secs/lap and the wing dropping thing is much improved, and now quite hard to spot. It flies quite well overall and has pretty solid tracking, so I am happy with it as a sport/novice stunt trainer.

After I added the cheek cowl and paint finish, it now weighs around 43 oz. with a wing area of 466 sq. inches, so the weight is not too excessive. I did not get a chance to make the extra foam piece to make the outer wingspan longer, because I sold it to a novice pilot who really likes it a lot. I'll build another one similar to play with soon with a slightly higher aspect ratio. Thanks for the comments and suggestions!
Keith R

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 03:35:31 AM »
I was a bit sad to sell my Sport-E before I tried the idea of adding more outer wing tip, so this week-end I had a chance to try this on my .15 size Elec-trick which exhibits similar problems. The outer wing is 12 mm shorter than the inner wing. The first thing I tried was to remove all of the tip weight. I set the timer for some 1 minute flights and flew it. The outer wing still dropped badly in inside loops and outside loops. I then added a foam wing tip that makes the outer wing much longer as you can see from the first photo below.

The outer wing immediately flew high in level flight. I managed one rather scary inside loop and one outside loop which was a bit less scary due to (I think??) the standard prop rotation. I added 10 grams of tip weight and this was a lot better but still lifted quite a lot in level flight and inside loops, so I cut the foam tip in half and flew again. Once again there was an improvement but still flew outer wing high upright and inverted. I then cut the foam tip so that the wing panels are equal, and what do you know?? The wings flew level with level wings through the loops! y1

I would therefore guess that the wing panels work the best when they are of equal length in these basic models. It still dropped the outer wing in a hard inside turn like a square so I moved the lead-outs forward and this was a lot better. I most likely have too much elevator throw. I also may find that a narrower chord will work better overall as I could be getting too much drag when the wide chord changes angle of attack.

Keith R

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:07:26 PM by Keith Renecle »
Keith R

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
Very interesting, KR, I like your style of logical trial and error.
You are making me want to clean off my bench and get the feather cut bow and drop bar fired up (I'm old school, not CNC equipped).
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 11:47:51 PM »
Hi Chris, I am a "suck it and see" engineer! :!
Keith R

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 12:42:41 AM »
And why you did not try it with tip weight?

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »
And why you did not try it with tip weight?
Do you mean tip weight on inside wing tip?
Keith R

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 09:00:48 AM »
yes that is what I would try first

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »
O.K. Thanks I'll try that and see what happens. Can I borrow some of the modelling clay that you use please??
Keith R

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2015, 08:31:38 AM »
Soooooo......now I went out today and removed the foam wingtip, left in the 10 grams of outer wing tip weight, and then added 10 grams to the inner wing tip. I used two small 5 gram stick-on wheel weights. I must admit that I did not expect this to work! Well......it did work and flew as well as the added outer wing area, so that is something I need to figure out properly in my head.  n~ I can understand the principle of balancing the inequalities with weight, but which method should work better.......or doesn't it actually matter?

Keith R

Keith R

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2015, 02:38:41 PM »
Why not? you have to match center of lift with center or gravity somehow. Does not matter if you move one to another or another to that one  >:D ... usually we move CG by tip weight, so you used tip weight, who says it must be only in that outer wing?

The only difference between those 2 methods is, where is your fuselage (thrust line) relative to CG or center of lift after first or second modification.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2015, 11:14:15 PM »
Thanks very much to Igor, Brett, Howard and the other experts on this forum. It's amazing to see just how much one can learn from such simple flapless models. It seems that I tend to think of C/L models as single-axis airplanes that are only effected by pitch when in fact the other two axes are still present and just as important. The other thing is that we have to deal with a circular flight path and therefore the roll/yaw/pitch story can get quite complex.

The reason that I asked the question as to which method was better ie. the added inner weight or longer outboard wing, is that I was concerned about a point of inertia issue with the weights. This is the same puzzle to me as where to put the normal tip weight box position. Should this be as close to the CG as practical or once again....does this not matter that much??

Keith R
Keith R

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
Why not? you have to match center of lift with center or gravity somehow. Does not matter if you move one to another or another to that one  >:D ... usually we move CG by tip weight, so you used tip weight, who says it must be only in that outer wing?

The only difference between those 2 methods is, where is your fuselage (thrust line) relative to CG or center of lift after first or second modification.

The issue here is the fact that all the heavy parts of the engine are on the onboard side of the fuselage, creating "built in" tip weight. Plus whatever mass asymmetry you might already have built into the structure.

Note that the real differences are that the *tail* is also effectively off-center, AND, that the thrust line relationship to the CG changes.

Whether it is better with an asymmetrical wing, or tip weight, or in what combination, is open to question. *I* would probably opt for about the right asymmetry (1/2"-ish) and the engine straight ahead or slightly canted outboard (right). With symmetrical wings you build in some effective engine offset, because once you get the right tip weight (inboard or outboard) your thrust line will pass inboard of the CG (since with equal-span wings, the lateral CP is shifted a bit outboard and that's where the CG will wind up, too.

Brett

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »
Thanks again Brett, it's all starting to make sense to me now. This .15 size electric model started out with a difference a little under 1/2" asymmetry between the wings and also a little motor offset to the outside. The prop turns in the standard direction. The bellcrank is also just outside the fuz inside the inner wing half and the pushrod comes out of the wing underneath. The reason for not putting the bellcrank in the centre of the fuz and the pushrod inside was to allow the battery to further back and past the wing leading edge.

Just another question.......would a higher aspect ratio wing, with the same wing area be a better idea? I did notice that your old favourite, the SIG Skyray has a narrower chord.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2015, 07:46:30 PM »
Keith, higher aspect ratio wings(anything or 6ish) require a fairly steep taper.  A rectangular wing with a 6+ aspect ratio will be quite sensitive to rough air.  I went at far at a 15in. root, 6in. tip(40% of root).  That seemed to work pretty well.

phil Cartier

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »
Hi Phil,
Thanks for that. I was thinking more about the wing stalling and dropping the outer wingtip. My wing on both of these models has an aspect ratio of 4 so I was thinking that maybe 4.5 to 5 would be a better idea to try next time?

Keith R
Keith R

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »
Hi Phil,
Thanks for that. I was thinking more about the wing stalling and dropping the outer wingtip. My wing on both of these models has an aspect ratio of 4 so I was thinking that maybe 4.5 to 5 would be a better idea to try next time?
Keith R

I think it's unlikely the tip is stalling from  getting overloaded.  If the leadouts are too far back the plane will be flying in a sideslip.  Any kind of maneuver tends to make the trailing wing tip drop.  If you get the leadouts are put too forward the plane will actually be turning in at you.  It gets rather hairy if you do a sharp corner upwind and the plane tends to point its nose in when the motor quits, requiring a lot of whipping to land it smoothly.  Get the LO in the right place(with everything else right) and the wings will stay level in maneuvers and it will transition better in the eight maneuvers.

The easiest way to figure out what is going on in get copies of Wild Bills articles in American Aircraft Modeler and the various Round and Round columns in Model Airplane News in the early '70's for some more aerodynamics for C/L.  For example, on a 48in. wing the MAC is offset outboard about .44in(~11mm).  On a full body stunter the thrustline is down the centerline.  On a profile plane the motor is typically mounted on the outboard side, leaving the thrustline only a bit over an eighth of an inch(3.3mm) from the MAC.  That makes profiles much for susceptible to other minor spanwise imbalances.  A good reason to put in 3-4 degrees of engine offset.
phil Cartier

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
Phil, were you thinking either spanwise lift center or aero center, when you typed "MAC"? I'm presuming that you were referring to the effect of increasing air speed outward along the span. Points are well taken about placing the thrust line and having the leadout exit too far back, but there is also the possibility of excessive out-thrust yawing the fuselage too much and thus creating the same problem as the aft leadout exit. The large-ish suggested out-thrust is what prompted that thought.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here