News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:36:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For those who don't think GP is real...  (Read 4693 times)

Eric Viglione

• Trade Count: (0)
For those who don't think GP is real...
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:12:25 AM »
This is a fellow clubmates R/C to C/L converted GeeBee. I hope he forgives me for using him for this excersize, heh heh.

He's running an Enya 50. I would imagine, our Epower brothers have to deal with similar issues with the prop turning the other direction. Since this has been a popular topic lately, I thought it was worth sharing. I hope it helps give some insight.

I wish I had a better picture of the head-on view, but these convey the issue pretty well. Didn't check the shots till I got home.

Look at the front end twist! This style huge profile fuselage exaggerates the effect to the extreme, but those "take it to a ridiculous extreme" situations are usually best to help zero in on an effect when discussing aero issues.

EricV

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: For those who don't think GP is real...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »
If the prop is turning  CCW as seen from the front, (normal IC engine) I would expect the reaction to the prop torque to twist the fuselage in the other direction. What does it look like with the engine not running?? I would think the GP force is but a small percentage of the prop torque. How stiff is the fuselage??

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »
Is it flying level or doing a trick?   Looks like the wing is warped and the fuselage is twisted, maybe in two axes.   My guess is that it's the aft fuselage that's twisted.  Profiles do that.  Scott Riese had one awhile back the stab of which would twist about 30 degrees relative to the wing.  It would be interesting to see a control photo with the airplane at rest.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Eric Viglione

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »
Flying level. The aft fuse is square to the wing as best as I could tell, its the nose that is twisting away. I've got plenty of in-flight pic's of ARF Pathfinders (which are notorious for the tail twist), going away from the camera, so I do know exactly the other situation you mean. I sincerely don't think that is what you are witnessing here on this plane. (Not that this plane's stab might not also be tilted a little for the same other reason, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be related to what you are witnessing multiplied by a fairly extream factor on the front end)

The fuse is typical RC ARF fare, built up, wimpy and covered with non-structural monokote. That's fine with me, could be made of flubber for all I care, heh heh. I'm not trying to fix the plane, just demonstrate the effect, which this plane seems taylor made to do.

EricV

Is it flying level or doing a trick?   Looks like the wing is warped and the fuselage is twisted, maybe in two axes.   My guess is that it's the aft fuselage that's twisted.  Profiles do that.  Scott Riese had one awhile back the stab of which would twist about 30 degrees relative to the wing.  It would be interesting to see a control photo with the airplane at rest.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:38:18 PM by Eric Viglione »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
It's demonstrating something.  I'm not sure what.  Maybe it's "centrifugal" force on the engine
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
It's demonstrating something.  I'm not sure what.  Maybe it's "centrifugal" force on the engine

I agree, I don't see what this is demonstrating exactly.

Brett

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:14:14 PM »
It is not precession, precession makes pitching moment up or down regarding prop spinning direction. It will make up moment for tractor prop (that is why we have thrust line over wing, drag of landing gears down and still we benefit on motor and elevator down offset). So it cannot make any effect on such type of nose. If elevator acts agains that pitching moment to keep model in level flight, it will make precession moment just opposite to te orriginal force, so the prop shaft tends to stay in the orriginal direction (that is how the gyroscope works) and that is force pulling moment out of the circle which acts against the line drag and in case of flexible nose, it also bents the flat construction. Besithat, we see also twisted nose because of reaction moment equal to motor moment.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:03:08 PM »
Igor, I understand what you are saying, and I wouldn't normally debate things with someone at your high level of expertise, but I'm still curious about the situation...so as long as I have your attention, I have to ask, have you ever held a bare running engine with your bare hands (wearing gloves of course) when you were a kid?

I have, and yes, it's pulling forward, and yes, when you wave the engine around you can feel the gyroscopic effect, but it's also trying to twist out of your hand the opposite direction of the prop. If you let go of the engine, depending on the weight/diameter of the prop and rpm, the engine case will counter rotate opposite direction of the prop as it flies away (for a very brief "flight" before it hits the ground). Not sure what you call that, GP or whatever, but it's there, and I thought that is some of what is seen in the pic, no? I would assume the effect is stronger during acceleration, and once an engine reaches equilibrium and static RPM, the effect lessens, but is still there, no? Since IC engine is single cyl pulse, it's constantly accelerating each revolution, or each "bang", even when static RPM, no? Just curious... Thanks for anything you can add to help me understand.

EricV

It is not precession, precession makes pitching moment up or down regarding prop spinning direction. It will make up moment for tractor prop (that is why we have thrust line over wing, drag of landing gears down and still we benefit on motor and elevator down offset). So it cannot make any effect on such type of nose. If elevator acts agains that pitching moment to keep model in level flight, it will make precession moment just opposite to te orriginal force, so the prop shaft tends to stay in the orriginal direction (that is how the gyroscope works) and that is force pulling moment out of the circle which acts against the line drag and in case of flexible nose, it also bents the flat construction. Besithat, we see also twisted nose because of reaction moment equal to motor moment.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 11:58:08 PM »
I have, and yes, it's pulling forward, and yes, when you wave the engine around you can feel the gyroscopic effect, but it's also trying to twist out of your hand the opposite direction of the prop. If you let go of the engine, depending on the weight/diameter of the prop and rpm, the engine case will counter rotate opposite direction of the prop as it flies away (for a very brief "flight" before it hits the ground). Not sure what you call that, GP or whatever, but it's there, and I thought that is some of what is seen in the pic, no?

That's the reaction torque from the engine, not precession.

Brett

Eric Viglione

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 01:46:23 AM »
  That's the reaction torque from the engine, not precession.

Brett

Ok, I'll re-visit the theory to make sure I've got this straight. Assuming we are talking about Torque Induced procession or Gyroscopic procession, not Classic or Torque-free procession: If the engine is spinning along in a clockwise direction, as seen looking from the back of the plane, when the plane is turned to the right (and here is where I’m adding the supposition that the GeeBee is in a tethered turn to the right in constant yaw in relation to the tow location of leadouts, towards the outside of the circle, not straight ahead as we ideally trim for) forces are applied to the structure of the plane forcing the front end of the plane down and the back end up. If the plane is turned to the left (towards the pilot, not very practical, heh) then the front end of the plane is forced up and the back end forced down. If the engine is spinning in the opposite direction then the reverse applies. If the reverse applies, and you trim for a lot of yaw, you get something that feels like up-thrust, and this could make our e-power bretheren very unhappy in level flight and perhaps why some complain of something that resembles a hunt?

Then taking it further, if the plane was moved without change of angle, by say a thermal, or whatever, directly upwards, downwards, forwards, or side-to-side the gyroscopic effect would not apply any extra forces, right? OK, But… what I’m thinking here, is if the engine only applies extra forces when the plane is moved at an angle (rotational turning left/right) then it also applies forces when the front/back of the plane is rotationally turned up/down via elevators.

Even though the shot of the GeeBee is in level flight, it was in a mild climb as it went by, (probably at 10ft elevation when I snapped the picture, and at 25ft as it went by me in the span of less than a 1/4 lap) and so this mild climb would create a procession to the outside of the circle in addition to the torque induced by the engine and perhaps result in the twist seen in the front end?

I know this is all pretty basic, and why a Rabe Rudder exists for outside turns, but all I was trying to show in the pic in a humorous way was that not only does it effect the flight path, but puts stresses on the airframe as well, that some might not have been aware of, and that maybe the distortion of the airframe could add other trim issues to deal with as well.

EricV

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »
hmmmm, this is interesting and I tend to wonder, like Don, why it isn't twisting opposite the rotation of the prop like the engine in your hand experiment.  Which I would never condone but I have seen it first hand  ;D ;D ;D ;D.  Sorry couldn't resist.

Then I started wondering.  Maybe the nose is twisting back and forth following each compression stroke.  This would be verified easily by watching it on the ground.  Is it vibrating badly, or bad enough to see it a little bit?

Eric, I think you could be talking about two different things.  I am not an expert here so please if I get this wrong let me know.  You are stating the engine is causing the gyro procession and the yaw and pitch etc....  Well its the prop that is doing that not the engine.  The engine is supposed to be still and trapped and the procession of the prop blades one up one down causes the yaw rolling and pitching.  Thus the need for the Rabe rudder. 

The engine torque you felt when you held the running motor would be felt even if there were no prop on it while it was running. 

Three things are happining is this pic.  Vibrations out the wazoo..(love that word right now) Gyroscopic P from the prop, probably negated from the size of the plane to really be able to feel it or see it. And engine torque on the frame is beating the holy crap out of it and maybe the pic just caught it on a vibration to that side.....
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Eric Viglione

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »
Doug - No argument here... I also thought the procession and engine torque would sorta cancel each other out, but the pic made me believe otherwise. Since I was standing on the downwind side of the circle, the engine could have been backing off, I know on the downrev, the engine torque in my handheld experiment tried to twist the engine out of my hand in the other direction, rotating with the prop. If nothing else, the picture was a fun item for discussion. You can bet if the plane flys again and I have my camera handy, I will crank up the ISO and try to get some better shots with faster shutter speeds and various attitudes.

EricV

hmmmm, this is interesting and I tend to wonder, like Don, why it isn't twisting opposite the rotation of the prop like the engine in your hand experiment.  Which I would never condone but I have seen it first hand  ;D ;D ;D ;D.  Sorry couldn't resist.

Then I started wondering.  Maybe the nose is twisting back and forth following each compression stroke.  This would be verified easily by watching it on the ground.  Is it vibrating badly, or bad enough to see it a little bit?

Eric, I think you could be talking about two different things.  I am not an expert here so please if I get this wrong let me know.  You are stating the engine is causing the gyro procession and the yaw and pitch etc....  Well its the prop that is doing that not the engine.  The engine is supposed to be still and trapped and the procession of the prop blades one up one down causes the yaw rolling and pitching.  Thus the need for the Rabe rudder. 

The engine torque you felt when you held the running motor would be felt even if there were no prop on it while it was running. 

Three things are happining is this pic.  Vibrations out the wazoo..(love that word right now) Gyroscopic P from the prop, probably negated from the size of the plane to really be able to feel it or see it. And engine torque on the frame is beating the holy crap out of it and maybe the pic just caught it on a vibration to that side.....

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »
Even though the shot of the GeeBee is in level flight, it was in a mild climb as it went by, (probably at 10ft elevation when I snapped the picture, and at 25ft as it went by me in the span of less than a 1/4 lap) and so this mild climb would create a procession to the outside of the circle in addition to the torque induced by the engine and perhaps result in the twist seen in the front end?

I was referring to your explanation, not the picture. The twist in the fuselage in the picture is backwards from the expected engine torque reaction. I expect that the bend you see is the centrifugal force on the engine, and that it twisted because it's stiffer at the bottom of the fuselage than it is at the top because the wing is at the bottom.

The pitch torque from constant left yaw rate would probably not effect a Gee Bee, it would have to bend the nose up or down. Hard inside maneuvering would cause the precession to bend it the way it shows, and P-factor would tend to bend it the other direction.

All of these forces/torques aside from the P-factor are easily estimated if you know the input parameters. I think the centrifugal force is going to be a lot bigger than any of the others.

Brett

Eric Viglione

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »
  ...The twist in the fuselage in the picture is backwards from the expected engine torque reaction. I expect that the bend you see is the centrifugal force on the engine, and that it twisted because it's stiffer at the bottom of the fuselage than it is at the top because the wing is at the bottom....

All of these forces/torques aside from the P-factor are easily estimated if you know the input parameters. I think the centrifugal force is going to be a lot bigger than any of the others.

Brett

OK, did a quick calc, based on a 10 ounce engine, I come up with Centrifugal acceleration of 2.83940 G, and Centrifugal force of 1.77463 LBF.
Does that sound about right? Screen capture included to check method... just an online quickie calc I found. It doesn't seem enough force to be twisting the nose that much on it's own to me? What say you?

EricV

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »
I don't think there is any force other than CF tending to create that twist. It's torque that you are interested in, and the Gee Bee fuselage engine/prop height above the leadout line is appreciable, creating a significant moment arm for which CF (or inertial force) to act. Since the aft fuselage is perpendicular to the wing and leadouts, while the nose is obviously not, it has to be CF twisting that nose. As said several times, engine torque reaction is opposite to the direction of this twist, and G.P. is not relevant. Fuselage stiffness is relevant to the amount of twist, and all we know is that the fuselage is not very rigid. It really doesn't seem too mysterious. 'agree w/Brett.

SK

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 10:19:26 PM »
OK, did a quick calc, based on a 10 ounce engine, I come up with Centrifugal acceleration of 2.83940 G, and Centrifugal force of 1.77463 LBF.
Does that sound about right? Screen capture included to check method... just an online quickie calc I found. It doesn't seem enough force to be twisting the nose that much on it's own to me? What say you?

The numbers sound about right, so yes, that's seem like a likely cause. It's definitely the wrong direction for engine torque (presuming the engine is spinning the normal way), it appears to not be in a hard maneuver, so not likely precession or p-factor.

Brett

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:50 PM »
By looking at the paint scheme I say its a optical illusion. Take the same shot with the motor not running. Same angle. If it is twisting the fuse must be fairly easy to flex.
AMA 12366

Eric Viglione

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »
  The numbers sound about right, so yes, that's seem like a likely cause. It's definitely the wrong direction for engine torque (presuming the engine is spinning the normal way), it appears to not be in a hard maneuver, so not likely precession or p-factor.

Brett

Ya, on further review, it would seem our intrepid reporter was full of crap. LOL! As it has been pointed out, the deal breaker here is the fact that it's not in a hard inside turn, at least not that I can remember for that shot so we'll have to blame CF.

Also, not out of the realm of possibility, is that it's an optical illusion because of the way the pic was taken. Going through my discard pile, I found another similar shot, not straight ahead, but it doesn't appear to be twisting. I had a conversation with the owner today and showed him the picture, who says the back end is built up but the front end is quite rigid. He's bringing it out again maybe next week so we can play some more.

EricV

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »
Ya, on further review, it would seem our intrepid reporter was full of crap. LOL! As it has been pointed out, the deal breaker here is the fact that it's not in a hard inside turn, at least not that I can remember for that shot so we'll have to blame CF.

Also, not out of the realm of possibility, is that it's an optical illusion because of the way the pic was taken. Going through my discard pile, I found another similar shot, not straight ahead, but it doesn't appear to be twisting. I had a conversation with the owner today and showed him the picture, who says the back end is built up but the front end is quite rigid. He's bringing it out again maybe next week so we can play some more.

I have a bunch of in-flight photos and interpreting them is definitely not trivial, and prone to error. But once you get past that, you can see an amazing amount of detail if you catch everything just right.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 12:53:34 AM »

I have a bunch of in-flight photos and interpreting them is definitely not trivial, and prone to error. But once you get past that, you can see an amazing amount of detail if you catch everything just right.

Brett

or... you could send em off to the  FBI and have them   "pixel analyzed"  ya can learn tons of info from that !!    LL~

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 08:29:25 AM »
I don't know about optical illusions. Holding a protractor against the monitor screen, I measure between 89 and 90 degrees for the vertical stab and somewhere around 93 degrees for the nose, as compared to the top wing surface. Whether we are seeing points of equal wing thickness (height) across the span, the orientations of vertical surfacs at nose and tail seem to be different. I did think of one other force: the relative wind directed at the inside of the nose in circular flight might influence P-factor in some way. Regardless, how about a qualitative test. Why not just try to hand twist the fuselage to see whether any of the computed torques seem reasonable to cause the twist? Remember that it's not just engine/prop mass being affected, but the wood, especially the mass above the propulsion unit on the Gee Bee.

SK

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »
or... you could send em off to the  FBI and have them   "pixel analyzed"  ya can learn tons of info from that !!    LL~

I think the technical name is "pixelized boolean projection" or "pixillated bullshit", or something like that.

Funny thing about that proud moment in stunt history. Someone on the old AOL forum started in on that story, and said they had the FBI do all the work which proved their point. I asked for the mailing address for the FBI field office in Atlanta, and speculated that this might not have been the best use of public resources, and that the district director might want to know about it. It got *real* quiet after that.

The silliest part of the whole story was the notion that Billy needed to cheat to beat our hero in a stunt contest.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »
Does that sound about right?

Getting quantitative is instructive.  Yep, your numbers look dandy for a 5.5-sec. lap, except linear speed, which is goofy and, I presume, an input choice you didn't use.  So push on the engine 10 oz. and see what happens.  Engine reaction torque runs about 40 inch-oz., so you can see what happens there, too.  I'm too lazy to calculate either the gyro torque from flying level or from turning a corner, but I would guess that they'd have a trivial effect on the structure.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »
The Enya SS50 has a optional reverse crank and Zinger has pusher props. I posted about this possibility a few years ago here. 

This engine could be running in reverse rotation with a pusher prop.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Eric Viglione

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 09:17:21 AM »
Thanks for trying to throw me a life line Martin, but this one spins the normal direction, but I'll just have to take my lumps for going off half cocked.

Don’t forget, I didn’t notice any on this until after I got home from the first flying session and was looking at that picture on my computer, so I didn’t have the opportunity to look at it again with that in mind… until this Sunday.

On further investigation, we concluded it’s a combination of a couple things already suggested earlier. 1) an optical illusion, and 2) the shape of the fuselage. On speaking with the owner, he said he had a devil of a time keeping the big built up fuse straight but it is plenty stiff.

A few additional pictures to demonstrate. One straight ahead on the ground, and the fuse front looks straight, and you can see the rudder has offset. Another picture a little to the right of straight ahead on the ground, and it gives the look that the nose is twisted pointed out. Do that with an in-flight shot and the engine running, and well, you get what we saw before.

As to trimming out the plane, we decided he should take out the rudder offset, it pulls like a beast with all that side area and doesn’t need it, tweak the flaps a hair to get the wings level, make sure the engine is pointing straight ahead intead of looking in-set to the inside of the circle, then re-evaluate what he’s got at that point.

We all realize it’s never going to be a good stunt ship, but might as well get it to be a half decent sport flyer and in decent trim. It looks neat as heck in the air if nothing else.

EricV

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »
can't fool the GORT eye. Some will get the original  day the earth stood still.  1951 LL~  Klaatu barada nikto

AMA 12366

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »
Put a PA-75 on the GeeBee and see if it twists then.....
Steve

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
Deleted...
noticed in text it was CCW rotation.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:14:12 PM by Douglas Ames »
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 06:50:07 AM »
Hmmmm - Saw a lot of posts discussing torque (which is in the wrong direction to cause the twist) and gyroscopic precession (which has nothing to do with a twisting moment on the fuselage in steady-state level flight).  I'll put my money on the fact that the GeeBee profile fuselage (which is flimsy -I have one - RC), and with a .50 ci engine mounted that high above the vertical CG with an outward acceleration of about 3 g's (assuming 5 sec laps at 60'), that's a lot of force on the fuselage.  I'd wager that, if the wing were higher and the engine were in line with the wing, there's be no twist.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
  I'll put my money on the fact that the GeeBee profile fuselage (which is flimsy -I have one - RC), and with a .50 ci engine mounted that high above the vertical CG with an outward acceleration of about 3 g's (assuming 5 sec laps at 60'), that's a lot of force on the fuselage. I'd wager that, if the wing were higher and the engine were in line with the wing, there's be no twist.

Howard Rush, reply #5.

Brett
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:18:38 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 10:29:34 AM »
itmay help to put some heavy wheels on it,, to help the Vertical CG issue,, you know,, like those old hard rubber dubro wheels that weigh multiple ounces,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here