News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:22:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For Dennis Adamissin  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
For Dennis Adamissin
« on: April 28, 2007, 12:18:30 AM »
Dennis,

Thought you'd like this. From a contest a couple of years ago. Powered with a Stalker .61 RE on a pipe.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Re: For Dennis Adamissin
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:41:11 AM »
Dennis,

Thought you'd like this. From a contest a couple of years ago. Powered with a Stalker .61 RE on a pipe.
That is one truly unique high Aspect model....and one beautiful paint scheme...WOW!
let me play with my scanner.
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 08:51:13 PM »
Randy:
Yeah I like it - a lot! I like the basic design layout, but then the color scheme and excitement in the trim really light it up.  This is a great looking bird!

Is this the one you mentioned that was the really good performer?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:59:29 PM »
Dennis,

It wasn't bad, but had a tendency to be very susceptible to turbulence. The one below was much better. Probably the best of the series.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:58:41 PM »
Randy:

SHORT flaps!  What kind of Elevator/Flap ratio did you have?

Looks like you kept a pretty healthy flap chord ratio (20%-25%?)

BTW GREAT name for the bird - the design really sets convention on its ear!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 08:24:16 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN! Another beautiful model!!! Very tasty paint scheme!  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 05:04:59 PM »
Dennis,

Half span flaps, 20% chord. They worked fine. The design really didn't need flaps at all, but tests showed that the flapless version of this plane (built as a hack profile "test of concept" plane) was way too fast in the corners. Without the even short flaps to provide a bit of negative pitching moment, the thing would just rotate around the center of gravity. Made for a very fast and somewhat "funny looking" corner. You'd just have to see it. This way, I got a bit of negative pitching moment and allowed the still very tight corners to be a bit more controllable. Made for a wicked tight corner, but one that was very flyable. The controls and balance ended up kinda funny, too. The hookup was 1 to .90 or so. Just a bit more flap than elevator. The balance (CG) was a whole 'nother thing. When I built it, I set the balance at about the spar. Flying indicated that it was too far forward. I started moving it back...and back...and back. I kept going until it started to get a little touchy then came forward about a 1/4" inch. It ended up about 50% of MAC or less than 4" ahead of the trailing edge of the wing. Made setting the leadouts interesting.

The plane has a very long tail moment (about 24" in the classic "hinge to hinge" measurement) with a tail plane about 35% of the wing area with it split about 62% to the stab. Made for an enormous tail volume coefficient of about .62. The upshot was a plane that turned on a nickel. But that wasn't as impressive as a plane that would stop turning on a penny. You neutralize the control and it stops turning NOW! The thing would turn the most impressive, flat corners of any plane I've ever flown. As long as the wind didn't come over the trees. It was fine in even heavy wind as long as the air was pretty clean. But put it in a turbulent site (like pretty much any contest in the Northwest) and life got very interesting, very quickly. I always find it disconcerting to see both the top and bottom plan view when I hit the control in turbulent air.

When I started building these things, it seemed there were several issues to overcome. Initially, the planes were unpredictable in corners. Any change in airspeed had a huge effect in the amount of control input it took to make a turn. Trying to turn in the same spot twice was almost impossible. I managed to figure that out and eliminate that problem. Next was the tracking. I think because the wing I was using at the time (8.5 or 9 to 1 AR with a 28% airfoil and very far forward high point with very blunt LE) just generated too much lift. It tended to be jumpy in round maneuvers even when it work track in level flight like it was on rails. Managed to fix that problem and got the overall design to track through all maneuvers. That came mostly with changes to the high point of the airfoil, some changes to the LE entry and a reduction in the flap area. The next problem was the lift vs payload issues. These things just don't fly worth a poop is they are too light. I built one that was 8 to 1 AR with about 640 square inches of wing area (a profile test bed). It weighed right around 52oz when built. And it was almost unflyable. No matter what I did, it was jumpy like a cat in a dog food factory. Absolutely blinding corner. I mean really awesome, but it took a lot of flights to get the timing to fly it. It was just unpredictable as heck. In desperation, I started adding ballast. I used those stick on Prather weights right over the CG (or as close as I could get) on the top and bottom of the wing much like Ted Fancher did with the Tucker Special he built. I kept sticking them one and the plane slowly got more tractable. When the all up weight got to around 65oz, the plane actually became pretty nice to fly and still had that unbelievable corner.

I finally figured out that you just had to balance the lift potential of the wing with the payload. There was definitely a window you had to hit or it just wouldn't fly. The plane above (the second one) weighed about 72oz with a 7.8 to 1 AR wing, 25% thickness with 20% high point and a very blunt LE. Again, about 640 square inches. The thing was great and as near as I could figure, right in the middle of the payload window for the wing design.

That last plane was the last of the series (of about 10 or 12 planes - 7 full boogie competition ships). It was the best of the series but was still somewhat sensitive to turbulent conditions. Better than it's predecessors, but not right yet.

What I'd really like to try and probably will at some point is an 8 or 8.5 to 1 AR, 25% thickness, 20% high point, blunt LE wing with an elliptical layout. I think I could overcome a lot of the turbulence sensitivity issues with a modified elliptical platform and the same basically aerodynamic layout as the last Heretic.

And yea, I thought the name was appropriate.

Anyway, I've rambled enough.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »
Randy,

I just wanted to tell you thanks for this thread. Excellent information. Very helpful.

YOU'RE AWSOME BRO

See you at the Regionals.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 01:26:57 AM »
  Hi Randy,

I have always been fascinated with high A/R designs, just haven't had the " gumption" to build one yet as I have always heard they tend to amplify (if thats the right word) the effects of turbulence and at times the wind here is quite nasty.

I don't like to waste time building (unknowingly) a model that I won't be happy with, especially if I am stepping into an area that I don't really understand. 

Funnily enough a fair portion of the "known quantity" designs I have built have been pretty ordinary though, mostly through my own fault. I guess that is partially what drives me to keep building stunt planes, mine could always be better.

If one was to start playing with higher A/R design is there a formula or ratio that you would suggest to start with or is it a case of suck it and see?

I suppose that so many variables come into play that there is no set rules as such.

Thanks for the cool photos.

Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 10:43:34 AM »
Rob,

Yep, they do tend to amplified faults and are particularly sensitive to turbulence. There are certain things you can do to overcome this, at least to an extent, but it ends up being a trade-off. It's one of the reasons I'm looking at a high aspect elliptical planform. I've built a couple of rather standard elliptical planes and they are grossly insensitive (compared to average layouts) to turbulence. So I think it's worth a try.

If you don't want to take a chance, then don't. There are many wonderful designs that fly very well. Paul's Impacts grow around here like weeds and that's because it's a competent design that, if built within very proscribed limits, will fly with the best of them. High AR designs have problems. There's no question about it. Some can be overcome and some only muted. I have continued to mess with them for two reasons. One is that they are very graceful in the air. They just flat look cool. The other is, once you've flown one, you just can't forget that absolutely awesome corner. No other plane I've ever flown has a corner like that. You find yourself saying, "hmm, maybe if I --whatever-- I can get that problem with tracking fixed. Maybe if I --something else--- I can desensitize it to turbulence. And on and on. They tend to do a couple of things very, very well. Better than any other designs I've ever seen. But they do some things very poorly. The trick is to try to minimize the things it does poorly, at least make them liveable and take shameless advantage of the things it does exceedingly well.

All I can give you is a couple of "rules of thumb" that I've learned along the way.

1) It's essential that you get as close to a "one speed" set up as you can. If I can ever afford an electric setup, this would be the airframe to use it in. Piped plane or possibly a really good running 4 Stroke works pretty well. The closer you can get to a one speed setup, the less you have problems with control inconsistencies in turns. They don't do very well with a lot of speeding up and slowing down. The layout becomes massively more efficient the faster you go. Just 5 miles an hour difference can make a huge difference in control feel at the handle. I've managed to minimize this to some extent, but a one speed setup pretty much fixes it.

2) You have to balance the lift potential with the payload. Too heavy is like any other plane, except these sorts of designs tend to have a rather sharp drop off. It's the sort of thing where the thing flies pretty well a one weight and 4 more ounces and the thing will just about fall out of the sky. The other end is worse in some ways. Too light and the thing will become just about uncontrollable in the corners, the wing is generating so much lift that it just about overpowers even pretty big elevators.

3) Long tail moments and large TVC. Sort of related to point two. Because the wing generates so much lift, you have to be able to control it. Over a series of 10 or so planes, my tail moments got progressively longer with bigger and bigger tails. It's not the turn that's the issue. It's reliably stopping the turn. You just need a very big "club" to stop it. Probably why I snapped a fuselage in fairly heavy wind with the last one. There's a heck of a lot of leverage out there.

4) Turbulence sensitivity. About the best I've been able to do here is to minimize the amount of turbulence I create. That's one of the reasons the flaps kept getting shorter and shorter. You should have seen some of the early renditions. Full span flaps that were maybe 22 to 24% of of the chord. Yeow! They were interesting to fly. I've been trying to minimize tip vortex. And the wing doesn't really need the additional flaps anyway. It also helps with what seemed like uncontrollable lift. Just enough flap too help with the control feel in the corners.

Feel free to ask questions. I've certainly built enough of these things. Hopefully, Dennis will chime in here. His Orange Crate started me on this track.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 10:43:51 PM »
Been out opf town for a couple days, thus my delay in responding.

Randy said:

"Feel free to ask questions. I've certainly built enough of these things. Hopefully, Dennis will chime in here. His Orange Crate started me on this track."

FORGIVE ME RANDY!   ~^

All seriousness aside:
* Randy has actually built MORE high AR stunters than I with more variations among them.  Maybe the 'Crate sparked a flame, but Randy has definitely carried the torch farther than I.  Thus his comments carry more direct experience than mine.

* I completely concur with the LONG fuselage argument.  One of the biggest changes in Eclipse versus Orange Crate was the fuselage was substantially lengthened.  STOP thinking about monent arms relative to the flying surfaces or hingleines.  Instead thiink of the tail as being a certain distance from the CG, then install the wing on the correct location to get it to balance.

* I am not sure the LARGE tail area is needed, but since I have never tried it...  Eclipse was around 22% tail area and I thought that becasuse the tail was so long I should try a SMALLER tail.

* Interesting comments on the weight & wing loading - it closely parallels what has been happening in RC sailplanes over the past 15-20 years.  There, airfoils have been getting thinner with less camber (faster) and wing loadings have been climbing.  Sailplanes will, without an engine, penetrate as much wind over a much longer distance than we will EVER fly CLPA.

* My OPINION: Wing loading affects response to turbulence  - AR has nothing to do with it.  If in doubt, go to a sailplane contest on a breezy day...

*  I have not had the trouble Randy described flying high AR at different speeds.  Airplanes I have seen or had that were speed sensitive usually were because of airfoil trauma - like a too sharp LE.  I am sure that is not the case in Randy's airplanes - maybe too blunt has speed issues too?  After the Orange Crate I abandoned my own super blunt LE in favor of a nice boring NACA 0018 airfoil.

* Let's put it in perspective, we are not transitioning from clipped wing Reno Air Racers to unlimited sailplanes here.  I have seen high AR credited with everything from good cornering - to global warming.  I only pushed AR to 7:1, and Randy has taken it farther than that.  I read where increasing AR from 4 to 6 yields about the same effect as taking it from 6 to 12.  Still there are a LOT of things we can do that have a bigger affect on performance than that.

* Personally, I think high AR is DIRECTIONALLY the right thing to do.  However, Randy's comment was right on - there are a LOT of really good flying designs out there that do not exhibit high AR wings.  BUT if you want to build an Impact on "health food" (ie, put a skinny wing in it, and beg Paul W. for forgiveness!) just to see what it would do, GO FOR IT!  Maybe you will find some pieces to the puzzle that have eluded Randy & I...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 01:19:12 AM »
  Thanks heaps Randy and Dennis, I'm just trying to get my head around all of the info you have given me.
Thats awesome.

I was wondering if a higher AR ship at say 7 or 8:1 needed a similar amount of wing area to a more conventional layout of maybe 4.8 to 5.2:1?
 Obviously wing thickness and flap area,throw etc will have a marked effect on the wing area required to fly the model well but an 8:1 AR at 700 or more square inches could be fun to transport.

Randy, I like your thinking about an elliptical high AR plane. The elliptical planform handles turbulence well and makes it a bit easier to blend in shorter flaps neatly.

For years I had wanted to build a high AR design simply because you rarely see them and they just look too cool.
They really look like they were (are?) designed with a definate purpose in mind.

Before seeing any of your high AR models I always figured that about 7:1, 18% thickness, a long tail moment with about 30% tail volume and removeable/interchangeable flaps and elevators and adjustable ratios would be a good place to start.

Thanks again for your time. Rob.

P.S you can disregard the last bit as I have just re-read your earlier posts. That certainly gives me a decent place to start.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:00:16 AM by rob biddle »
Robert Biddle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 10:19:42 AM »
Dennis,

You may be right on the blunt LE. I used the same airfoil in my current PA plane that is very conventional (5 to 1 AR at about 625 square inches). It seems fine with turbulence, but the combination of a blunt LE with a fairly far forward high point and higher AR may contribute to the issue. I suspect that if I cut down the thickness of the wing and sharpened the LE a bit more I could go with somewhat larger flaps and possible mitigate the turbulence issues a bit. I still think that a high aspect, elliptical arrangement would offer the best of both worlds and will probably try that when next I dive into high AR designs. I have something on the board I've been dinking around with for awhile that is along those lines.

I agree on measuring moments from MAC to MAC and ignoring hingeline stuff. Ultimate, that's all that matters. I ended up using pretty big TVCs mostly out of self defense. I too figured that with such a long tail I wouldn't need a very big TVC to get the same effect I got with shorter moments and larger tails. But earlier planes with much smaller tails but long tail moments tended to be pretty unstable in corners and were kinda hard to control. As I went up in TVC the problems went away. And, of course, I really liked the authority a big tail gave when it came time to stop a turn. That's just impressive as heck when you're flying the plane. Let's see, I'll stop the turn right there and BANG it stops.

On the sensitivity to speed changes: When I started getting more reasonable on the AR, this became less of an issue, but I still think the more "one-speed" you can make the run, the better this sort of design reacts. You should have seen a couple of test beds I built soon after I built the Orange Crate. Someplace I have a picture (if I could find it) of an early high AR design I built. 9.8 to 1 with full span flaps (an I-Beam - Wow, can't believe I did that) with about 23% flap area. It was enormously sensitive to speed changes in turns. And way, way, way too light (650 square inches and about 45 ounces with an OS45FSR). I'm sure I was getting some flex in the wing, too. That probably contributed to it. I'll have to see if I can dig up pictures of that plane and an earlier one. Bot just looked so incredibly cool, but had real issues. The original high AR plane I built, first in the series, was called Dragonslayer and had some interesting features. it was heavily influences by the Orange Crate, but had a trike gear and an anhedral stab. That was interesting. I really liked that plane. Probably should have built another one (circa 1982).

Anyway, I think the combination of too high an AR along with too much flap probably caused most of the speed sensitivity. Since going to slightly less AR (in the 7.4 to 7.8 range) and cutting the flaps way down along with more consistent power delivery, the problems went mostly away while keeping the great turn and turn stability.

As far as payload and wing loading issues. I've always believed that every competitive plane has an ideal design weight. Certainly Paul has confirmed that with a standard Impact, the ideal weight is around 62 oz. As you go either way, lighter or heavier, the performance degrades. I think that generally, high AR planes seem to fly better when the wing loading is slightly higher than what you'd normally figure for to the wing area. You can't go crazy, but if a run of the mill Trivial Pursuit (645 square inches) performs best at 62 to 66 oz (this from Ted) and can still be competitive at up to 70oz, my layout at about the same wing area probably has a window of 65-70oz as the ideal weight for the lift potential. Figuring wing loading is all well and good, but I think more critical is the payload vs lift potential of the wing. There is clearly (at least from my experiments) an ideal you have to hit rather than just trying to make the plane as light as possible. But that just the way I look at it.

That's one of the problems with this. It seems that unlike conventional design, there are a lot more factors involved. Or perhaps it's just that more conventional designs have had more people working on them and so the various factors are more clearly understood. But it seems that while the general idea of these high AR designs is very good, there's just more to overcome. An Impact doesn't really have any "bad" habits. It does pretty much everything reasonably well (I'm just picking on the Impact because I've built a few and know the design pretty well). I really doesn't have any substantial deficits. It also isn't particularly outstanding in any particular area. It just does everything pretty well. In the hands of an expert pilot, it can be very, very successful (as Paul has illustrated). My high AR designs have some areas that they do pretty well also, but they have some areas that they are horrible and some that they are outstanding. Most of my goals with these things has been to keep the stuff that they doing extremely well and try to mitigate the things that drive you nuts. You probably can't entirely get rid of the bad stuff without also losing the good stuff. I just want to make the drawbacks livable.

This last design (last picture) pretty much did that. While it was still somewhat sensitive to turbulence, it was controllable and not too bad (it was a sheer joy to fly in an open field with no turbulence creating obstructions---even in pretty high winds). It had a corner second to none and was fun to fly. The tracking was superior to just about any other plane I'd ever flown. But did have a tendency, every once in awhile, to get a little weird if the engine wasn't right on or I selected the wrong prop or whatever. Consistent torque was a must.

OK, I rambled on on this subject ad nausium. I haven't built one in 2 or 3 years because I wanted to have some planes in the stable that were dependable and consistent. I've just about got that now and may go back to experimenting again. Stay tuned.    H^^
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 10:51:27 AM »
Rob:
Listen to Randy, he is a GENIUS!

Randy:
Scarry news, we DO think alike!  :o

Forgot all about this airplane, it was really not much to say about it.  This was originally intended to be my Reno NATs plane.  AR of 7.4 ( I think) plug-in wings.  Did not go to Reno, and did not finish it until the following year, and was in mostly retired status by then.  Made a half hearted attempt to fly it at the 1985 Team Trials in Detroit, but ended up flying old reliable Eclipse 2.  Anyhow, I think it would fly, but all I managed to prove is that you cannot fly a 680 sq in 56 oz bird in the calm with an OS-35S.  HB~>

I should see if my broher still has it and maybe stuff an LA46 in it!  :!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 12:07:36 PM »
Dennis,

Now see, that's what I'm talkin' about!!

A PA 40 Merlin on a pipe and I think that would be a killer. Heck, just send me the plans and I can quit all this design noodling.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 04:12:44 PM »
Plans???

Honest, I build most of my stuff off sketches.  Eclipse was sketched on a 3x5 card - then I winged it.  First set of plans I drew for it were for the FM article, using the actual airplane and the airfoil templates and such...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 04:44:32 PM »
I usually have to draw the thing out in order to get an idea of where I'm going. Usually I draw the plans, get them photocopied then cut up the photo copy for templates. Then as I build the thing, I make notes on the plans along with traced parts that are invented on the spot. And anything else I can think of while I'm building.

But your Futurist is more or less what I envisioned for my next high AR effort. Elliptical layout to minimize some of the sensitivity to turbulence and long moments as you have outlined. Very nice setup. With the right power, I bet it would be a blast to fly.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 07:02:42 PM »
HEY DENNIS AND RANDY...THOSE BEAUTIFUL ELIPTICAL MODELS OF YOUR'S ARE KILLIN ME!!!
TRULY BEAUTIFUL LINES...GUYS!
(Dennis....looks that those young kids are enjoying the moment also and I bet they love airplanes as much as we do...huh?
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 10:29:12 PM »
OK, Dennis, I found the first of the series. Man, that was a long time ago.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 10:42:05 PM »
  How cool are both of those ships!

Truly inspirational stuff. Thanks guys.
Robert Biddle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »
Rob,

When I was flying the plane just above (The Dragonslayer), I got Paul Walker to fly it. I watched it do a wingover and was pretty much hooked for life. That planform was just awesome in the air.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 10:52:57 PM »
Randy:
I'm trying to digest all you have been saying.  A 9.8 AR I-Beam That is WAY cool.  Unfortunately I'll bet wing flex played havoc with flap movment!

It sounds like your high AR designs all have exhibited light control feel- is that accurate? Shortening of the flaps would greatly lighten the control efforts  too.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 02:28:52 AM »
Yes, the control do tend to feel light, I guess. Usually doesn't take much effort to snap a really sharp corner. The plane above was build more than 20 years ago. Hopefully, I've learned at least something since then. :)

But it sure looked cool in the air.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
These High AR ships are slamming baby. The looks are off the hook.  I built 2 high AR ships both with the Saito 72 in it some years back.  The second one had an even higher AR than the first. The first was sensitive to turbulence. The second was unflyable in a pattern sense.  Larry Renger flew the second and gave it an immediate thumbs down.  Basically, I created the biggest combat plane ever to fly. The big block helped enormously to control it through the pattern, but it was inherently jumpy.

What we may be missing here is that AR is all about personal motor skills. Aspect ratio is NO DIFFERENT than any other part of the plane that controls response and feel.  You set you control geometry and ratios to get the response you need. You set your adjustable handle to get the response you need. You design your AR to get the response and feel you need.

The problem here is that when you look at AR in absolute terms, i.e. aerodynamically better than lower AR,(it is) you discount the all important human factor;very simply, YOU HAVE TO CONTROL THE FRIGGIN THING!!  You have to fly in a manner that another human being can ascertain just what the hell you are doing and give you some sort of a valid score.

Randy Powell has come up with what may be some of the most visually beautiful planes ever done in a static sense. The first time I ever saw them, they took my breath away. But, he is going to have to hook up the lines and rock and roll in front of a judge.  I don't think the powerplant is going to help one single bit. If there is anyone one motor that control a "hot wing", it's the Saito 4 stroke. But I can tell you from actual experience, the effect of a high AR wing is so pervasive, that not even they can stop the wings ultra efficient tendencies.

Part 2 in a second post
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »
Part 2
What a lot of people may not realize is that Paul Walkers Impact is a very high AR plane. But, what Paul has done so well is that he has balanced the various elements to provide a relatively "mainstream" plane that is quite controllable. Notice that the Impact has a slow ratio control system.  It has a moderately close tail moment. And most important, it has a very low aspect ratio stab taken from Gid Atkinson's Laser to "balance out" and control that "hot wing".

Another surprise. Big Jim Greenaway was working on High AR ships many years ago. Windy Urtnowski built and flew most of those ships.  The Patternmaster is a high AR ship. The Miss BJ is a very high AR ship. Why were these ships so successful while others were not-Jim was a genius with aerodynamics. He understood the effects of airfoils IN CONJUNCTION with AR. Even still, the late Bob Baron had to use relatively slow control systems in his Patternmaster on his way to winning the Nats with his in 1996.  You see this very high leverage-slow control system in action on video in the 1997 Team Trials where Bob Would place 5th-second alternate.

I built my high AR ships in reaction to a plane I designed specifically for the purpose of groove. It had a low AR foam wing cut by me and it had a low AR stab with slow controls.  Trust me, trust me, the plane had NO CORNER!!!  Larry Renger also flew this plane and he yelled out from the circle with Bob Whitely standing right next to me, "Where's the Corner".  But, the plane could groove 2 feet off the ground inverted without missing a beat. More important, it could maintain that groove long after other planes would have been all over the sky.

From this, I learned the important of balance, and that, stunt ships are really quite complex pieces of machinery that require serious study, engineering and development.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:06:18 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 02:13:05 PM »
Proparc,

For me, controlling the lift from the wing was relatively easy in the end (after several ships, a couple of splats and some further experimentation). A long tail moment with a Big Honking Tail (that's a technical term) and very slow controls worked fine for both starting, and more importantly stopping, a turn. It also helped a lot with tracking. It also helps enormounsly to balance the lift potential of a very high AR wing with the payload (remember, I was working with 8 to 1 up to 10 to 1 - Paul's are mostly from 5.8 to around 6.5 to 1). Most of my best flying very high AR planes were not really very light. The last and best was about 72oz on a 640 sqaure inch, 8 to 1 AR wing. It flew really well with a Saito 56. I'd probably still be flying it if I hadn't broke the thing. Sigh...

As with any plane, wing loading is important. But what a lot don't look at is wing loading is a window, not a straight line equation. They feel that the less wing loading you have, the better. But there is a bottom end just like a top end. The lift potential of the wings I have designed is pretty high and they can carry a lot more payload than a comparable, lower aspect wing. In some designs I've done; a lot more. But the trick part is, they don't do well when the payload is too low. They get jittery and jumpy as heck and make the smallest control inputs seem like a roller coaster ride. Trust me, I know.

I had a 55oz test plane with 9 to 1 AR, 620 square inches, and my own airfoil design that had very, very long control arms and probably the slowest control system I've ever built. Full up translated to about 10 degrees of elevator deflection and it took a lot of handle movement to get that. And it still scared the back side off of me to fly it. Like having the proverbial tiger by the tail. But when the overall payload is brought into a reasonable window, Shazam!, the thing tames right down. I planed weight on that thing until it came in at about 65 oz and is started really flying pretty well. Or at least controllable. Put a big tail and fairly long tail moment out there and it actually behaved. For that design, you just didn't want to be much under 62oz. I suspect the top end of the envelope, where the performance would start to degrade, was probably near 80oz. Put enough power out there to pull the weight around and it started getting to be a fun plane to fly.

I have a new one on the board that will probably get built next winter or maybe spring. It's a departure from the last design with a somewhat higher AR and a bit more wing area that I think...THINK (or hope and dream), may have finally solved the sensitivity to turbulence issues. Or at least mitigated them to the point that they are a controllable non-issue. Should be fun.

These things take up a lot of time in thought, testing and your basic trial and error process. And a very high frustration tolerance. But as you note, there sure are purdy. And can be a lot of fun to fly.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 10:42:09 PM »
Just to make Don happy, I found another one of an early very high AR plane. This was about 4 in the series.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 10:32:49 AM »
Just to make Don happy, I found another one of an early very high AR plane. This was about 4 in the series.
THANKS RANDY! U SPOIL ME ROTTEN! Again...A really tasty lookin' stunter n' a tasty paint job.

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!  LL~ LL~ LL~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 01:50:22 PM »
Don,

It was the first with a catalyzed polyurethane topcoat. Imron, I think. Sure learned not to use much of that quick.

Has some interesting vents in it. There are others but the pics have been lost. Too bad. I really wish I had a picture of the most "out of the envelope" version. It was a 10 to 1 AR, full span flaps, very long tail moment, I beam plane. Something like 620 square inches and an 80" wing span. Absolutely scary to fly. A turn that no one believed until they saw it, but as stable as a long term crackhead. Pretty too, with a red and white paint scheme, bubble canopy and trick venting on the cowl. Aesthetics inspired, as I remember, by the Aquila. I was into long and slender then. That plane hung in the ceiling of a Nampa, Idaho hobby shop for years and years. Don't know what happen to it. A picture of it appeared in Stunt News back when Windy was editing it. But no pictures here survived.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Don,

It was the first with a catalyzed polyurethane topcoat. Imron, I think. Sure learned not to use much of that quick.

RANDY...MY BELOVED RANDY! DO YOU KNOW HOW FORTUNATE YOU ARE....THAT YOU WERE ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES TO SURVIVE AND REMAIN A LONG LIVING AND BREATHING HUMANOID...AFTER SPRAYING :X :X :X :X IMRON?
I WISH NOT TO FRIGHTEN ANY IMRON USERS....BUT ONLY EXTREME CAUTIONS SHOULD BE TAKEN...CAREFULLY!!
BETTER YET!! NEVER NEVER NEVER should any home workshop be using this product. [/b]

At Boeing....OSHA and their watch dogs...came into our tunnel's exotic and carefully designed spray booths...and KIDNAPPED ALL IMRON AND ITS TOXIC CATALYED HARDNERS...SHUT DOWN THE AREA.
WHY?
LATEST TESTS PROVED JUST HOW MANY LAW SUITS ARE BEING WAGED....by Auto rebuilding personell...who read the labels...took extreme precautions...but STILL WERE NOT ENOUGH TO PROTECT THE SURROUNDING SHOP AREAS FROM BEING CONTAMINATED BY THE AFTER-EFFECTS.

Although the labels and instructions are very careful to point out the precautions...even the best painters at the Boeing paint jobs were getting serious health problems, even after using plant air...space like suits...to work with but it was found that even just smelling the finished sprayed items...that the gassing off fumes were causing long term damage not only to the bodys immune system..but also began to show other uglies...such as  skin lesions, permanent lung damage...and even kidney and liver damage.
OK GUYS! THEY SHOOT WHISTLEEE' BLOWERS...GO AHEAD AND DO WHAT-JA GOTTA DO....keep spraying and using these exotic paint products.

What even bothered me ever greater....was after the OSHA folks yanked all the IMRON and took it to the paint recyclin areas. KNOW ONE WILL EVER KNOW..but Somehow batchs of that returned Imron clear ended up at  BOEING SURPLUS where other part-time hobbists...snapped up that toxi brew like hotcakes...to paint anything from their motorcyles, helmuts, skiis....(model airplanes)....EVEN THEIR HOME GARAGE WORK BENCHES!

It took only a few days before the word got out but by that time...ALL THE EXPENSIVE TOXIC IMRON was sold and gone.

A fellow RC modeler friend of mine...would simply use his regular based paints up to the final clear coat stages.
 He then would call around and have those professional body spray shops do the final deed and spray that Imron for him. Leaving that model with them until all the toxic gass off fumes were gone.
Still often Ron would mention that  after work, he would go to his car...open the trunk, and he would still be able to smell that Imron....all summer long. That really scared the crappola out of all of us.  He had the Imron flu for about a year. I don't know if it was the Imron or not...but before he retired he had to use an oxygen bottle during his golf games. (however he blames all this on his life long habit of smoking.
'OK!
UNLOAD ON ME FOR BEING TOOOO CAREFUL FOR CHICKEN LITTLE YELLING "THE SKY IS FALLING...but just be careful. Toxic crap is the nature of our sport..

RANDY! WHEN TWO OR MORE ARE GATHER IN THE NAME OF THE BIG GUY UPSTAIRS...I HOPE and PRAY THAT YOU AND ALL THE REST OF US WHOSURVIVED THE EARLY IMRON DAYS...WITH OUT BEING DAZZZED AND CRAZZZED FOREVER MORE!

NEVER MIND THIS DRIVEL....
MOST OF US BY OUR AGE, WHO ARE STILL ALIVE AND BREATHING ARE TESTIMENTS...that perhaps the GOOD AND GREAT LORD ABOVE TAKES CARE OF FOOLS, DOGS, N' OL' MODELMAKERS and thank be...that we (most of us are still round to rant about it?)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 11:56:39 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2007, 02:21:05 PM »
Don,
I personally  can testify to the nature of this nastyness,, I have been in the autobody trade since 85, when this "magic" material was coming into its own. Just for a perspective and to give people a sense of how important it is to becarefull, most of the Urethanes I have been around are catalyzed by Isocyanates,, a cianide derivative. It is CRUCIAL to take all precautions if you use any of this catalyzed material. These are not idol warnings that we see so many places like "warning coffee in cup is hot". I know of several Old school painters that cant walk by a car on a sunny day that is freshly painted without reacting to it....
With proper,, PROPER , precations , this material is great and works extremely well. However it is NOT to be toyed with, it can cause seriouse damage to your system.
Just my perpective FWIW
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 03:16:22 PM »
Don,
I personally  can testify to the nature of this nastyness,, I have been in the autobody trade since 85, when this "magic" material was coming into its own. Just for a perspective and to give people a sense of how important it is to becarefull, most of the Urethanes I have been around are catalyzed by Isocyanates,, a cianide derivative. It is CRUCIAL to take all precautions if you use any of this catalyzed material. These are not idol warnings that we see so many places like "warning coffee in cup is hot". I know of several Old school painters that cant walk by a car on a sunny day that is freshly painted without reacting to it....
With proper,, PROPER , precations , this material is great and works extremely well. However it is NOT to be toyed with, it can cause seriouse damage to your system.
Just my perpective FWIW

AMEN!
SO MANY OF MY PRO MODELING FRIENDS AT THE WIND TUNNEL (the luckier ones) have had to retire early or move to other job titles...and like you say...JUST THE MERE SMELL will GIVE THEM INSTANT FLU SYMTOMS..filling their lungs with fluids. Rose, my friend would INSTANTLY TURN TURNIP BEET RED at just the residue of it...and within hours his lips or skin would break out with little red pimpleee' bumps that would start to ozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'
GOT THE MESSAGE???
CARE AND PRECAUTIONS  ARE PRIORITY RULE NO. UNO!!!
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »
Yep, that first time I used an organic filter in an enclosed space with just a fan going. Put me in the hospital for most of 3 days. You haven't lived until you've had your lungs flushed. I'm still sensitive to the stuff and make sure I'm covered head to toe and only spray it outside with suitable breather. Mark has access to the killer paint booth, so he at least can shoot it inside.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »
aS A FURTHER NOTE,  The catalysing agents in this material have no inherant smell, the manufacturer actually adds perfume to it so that you can detect it. the catalyst,, (of the ones I deal with) are attracted to moisture, hence our booth has a "wet" floor, there is a contstant flow of water under the grate that comprises the floor. The really pertinant thing about this tendancy is that you not only need to protect your lungs, but,, your >>>>.EYES<<<<<< the amount of moisture in your eyes is like a magnet to this stuff. I have a full face resporator that I  use look like a scuba diver,, best method is a pressurized system, they are available now on a "reasonalbe budget... but also keep the skin covered as Randy states, if its warm and  you are perspiring,, well guess what, more moisture.
Please dont take this as a conspiracy doom and gloom thing, with the CORRECT precautions, there is nothing more risky about this than flipping a carbon fiber prop on your superblatz stunt motor,, and we all know thats safe right?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 06:27:55 PM »
aS A FURTHER NOTE,  The catalysing agents in this material have no inherant smell, the manufacturer actually adds perfume to it so that you can detect it. the catalyst,, (of the ones I deal with) are attracted to moisture, hence our booth has a "wet" floor, there is a contstant flow of water under the grate that comprises the floor. The really pertinant thing about this tendancy is that you not only need to protect your lungs, but,, your >>>>.EYES<<<<<< the amount of moisture in your eyes is like a magnet to this stuff. I have a full face resporator that I  use look like a scuba diver,, best method is a pressurized system, they are available now on a "reasonalbe budget... but also keep the skin covered as Randy states, if its warm and  you are perspiring,, well guess what, more moisture.
Please dont take this as a conspiracy doom and gloom thing, with the CORRECT precautions, there is nothing more risky about this than flipping a carbon fiber prop on your superblatz stunt motor,, and we all know thats safe right?
Interesting info...about the catalysing agents have NO SMELL? In other words...that smell is just from the thinners and paint evaporating instead? Amazing how our human bodies react so quickly...from just the fumes, even though the smell itself as we know isn't the "killer part!" but the hardner cat' instead? Hummm?
Randy...and Mark! Thanks for sharing your concern also and knowing most mortals, no matter how safe we try to be...often POO-POOOO-OOOPS! happens during the rush to paint and clean up..etc. Plus all that toxic left over crap was always sooooooooo unsettling, to say the least. LONG, DROP DEAD OVERTIME HOURS...with limited budgets and short time frames...at the Wind Tunnel was always an ACCIDENT JUST WAITING TO HAPPEN.

SO BOTTOM LINE: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER and should go a very very long way to keep a good paint artist (reasonably healthy?) but only to a point...because of our mortality and humanity to me. After all those years...GADS! I DON'T MISS THE DEADLINES AND PANIC-ANTICS OF THE TEST DIRECTORS AND UPTIGHT PAYING AERO-CUSTOMERS...who just want everything--YESTERDAY? %^@ :X :X HB~>
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 08:57:15 PM »
Imron is beautiful, but it just ain't worth it.  I will stick with my moneycote addiction!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 03:58:20 PM »
I use Omni catalyzed polyurethane. I have goggles and a iso-cyanide approved mask and spray the stuff outside on a relatively calm day with a wet lawn. I use coveralls, a hat, gloves and stay upwind. The stuff is treated like plutonium as far as I'm concerned. But the ultimate product is nice. And once catalyzed, the stuff is fairly inert. No danger from the dust from sanding and such other than the usual precautions of a particulate mask. I use those when sanding balsa, too.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here