News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fokker DR1 Triplane  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Jerry Reider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fokker DR1 Triplane
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »
Any thoughts on whether this would be possible or not.  I saw a Fokker tripe ARF on the Tower Hobbies site but it is designed for an electric motor and RC.  29.5 wingspan and 300 sq. in. of wing area.  This would be an awesome plane to turn into UC.  I'm thinking it would need about a .15 or a .20 glow engine.  I'm seeing a problem with getting the ailerons on the top wing tied into a bellcrank assembly.  It would probably be okay without them if it couldn't be worked out.  Maybe the whole idea is way out of bounds.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPZT9&P=7

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1142-manual.pdf

I built a Sterling DR1 years ago and it is a hangar queen.  Never had the guts to fly it.  I got too much time into it and would hate to lose it.  Besides that I can wring out a profile stunter and when I lose it it is not too big of a deal.  Here's a picture of my Sterling DR1.
Jerry

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: Fokker DR1 Triplane
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:33:52 PM »
Hmmmm, Now here is a real aircraft that I think I'd consider as a good design for what I consider the shift in the desigh parading that electric offers.
First off I think that the dr1 has tooshort a nose making actual built in c/g setup(no weight added to adjust c/g) difficult. putting the battery and motor as far forward  could make it balance as built. Second maybe having reduced throttle for the last part of the fligvht could make landings less tricky ?
Just thoughts here I neither have the space to try or real desire but there is the possibility that outside the box think could make this plane a flyer?

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:04:33 PM »
One of our club members here in Alameda CA did exactly that with this very model. He has about a .15 glow in it. It flies just fine, but this is a scale model that even has scale undercambered wings, not suitable for stunt. The short nose is a factor, making CG fairly tricky, but it has been successfully done. I can get more details if you want to follow up on this idea. Personally I would use the DVII biplane or SE5A biplane, both with long noses and a little larger than the triplane. There have been several favorable writeups on this line of Electrifly models in MA and elsewhere.

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »
One of our club members here in Alameda CA did exactly that with this very model. He has about a .15 glow in it. It flies just fine, but this is a scale model that even has scale undercambered wings, not suitable for stunt. The short nose is a factor, making CG fairly tricky, but it has been successfully done. I can get more details if you want to follow up on this idea. Personally I would use the DVII biplane or SE5A biplane, both with long noses and a little larger than the triplane. There have been several favorable writeups on this line of Electrifly models in MA and elsewhere.

I didn't realize that the DR1 kit has undercambered wings.  I knew the original had them.  This would be a next winter project, I built a SIG Super Chipmunk over the last couple months and I'm all built out for the winter.  I may build a profile yet for this flying season. 
If you're interested there is a WWI flying field in New York.  They have a lot of planes, including a DR1 that they fly daily in shows.  Some of them are the last ones left of the various models.  The cool thing is they fly them.  Here's the websites:     http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/about.htm
Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here