News:

• April 26, 2024, 01:25:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FLYING STABS AND STABALATORS...REVISITED? :)  (Read 17607 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
FLYING STABS AND STABALATORS...REVISITED? :)
« on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »
While surfing through some old slides...this "G-GOBBLER" with the flying stab...keeps boggling my britches...ever since seeing Lynn Howard Dooty socked it to us by winning the first Tacoma Mall contest here in the NW 40 years ago with a flying "stab-a-lator"

Here is a shot taken at the nats...about that same time...showing a Geiske Nobler utilizing the same set up.  As I remember...I too was quite impressed with this models  sharp corners and turning radius.
However, every time this subject of FLYING STABS comes around...Most flyers discount and blow off any advantage that could possibly be an advantage to CLPA.
One advantage after seeing Lynn's model fly....was that he could VIRTUALLY SWAP ENDS...with that stunter of his...expecially when finding himself needing that extra turning punch during those heart stopping "OOOPS...TOO LOW PULL OUTTAVA' REVERSE WING OVER...ETC? LL~ LL~
GIFTED CLPA-DESIGNER GRUNTS?

ANY IDEAS OR FURTHER THOUGHTS or JABS...ABOUT FLYIN STABS?

Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: FLYING STABS AND STABALATORS...REVISITED? :)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
Shultzie,

I built a plane with a stabulator once. Turn was pretty tight, but it was a positive hookup and so, any minute correction was delivered pretty directly. Made tracking tough. The hunted around like a drunken sailor. Nothing I did helped at all and I eventually gave up.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »
Did you try putting in a little down stab when the flaps were neutral?  Did it have a pointy LE?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:02:53 PM »
Gee. my Guillotine's flew just fine with a stabilator . . .  S?P

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »
Wow, Schultzie.  You've got my nostalgia genes all agog.

That Nobler was Bill Fitzgerald's.  He flew it more or less stock at a mid '70s Nats.  Engine quit while inverted and none other than Bobby Who (Hunt) played Willy Mays and caught it before it hit the deck.  Problem was, Bobby was slightly "aloft" when catching it and one leg came up as a result of the impact of three pounds traveling 25 or 30 MPH and kicked the tail off.  Oooops!

Bill took it home and more or less copied what I had done with a Banshee that had had a mishap.  He rebuilt it with the flying tail and discovered the same issues as did I with the Banshee.  Both were hinged at 25% of the chord and both were occasionally out of control in level flight.  Symmetrical airfoils have no pitching moment about the 25% point and as a result are perfectly happy to remain at any angle relative to the general airflow.  Both airplanes were at times perfectly willing to do almost anything in level flight.  In maneuvers they were pretty much OK but trying to fly level when they were displace by turbulence or wind was a real chore.

Both were tamed down eventually by taping some additional area onto the trailing edge so the hinge point was no longer right at 25%.  The Nobler still exists.  The last time I saw it it was still hanging in Bill's downstairs shop, still looking like it was painted with a dozen coats of white Aero Gloss.  In actuality, the wing and tail were covered with monokote and the fuse painted with white Hobby Poxy.  The trim is all sticky monokote.  (Son David may have the airplane at his place now.  I'm not sure.  He has threatened to bring it out again)

Another great pilot who is no longer with us (Roger Barrett) came up to Bill at the first Nats he brought the Nobler to and asked what he had painted the ship with.  Yes, it was that good!  

Another great ride for a Big Art .35.  We had a lot of them in those days.

Ted

p.s.  Just noted the "76" on the rudder.  That tells us that the ship first showed up at the Nats the same year, 1976, as did my Moby Dick in the other thread.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:25:07 PM »
Howard,

It had a sharp leading edge and was "hinged" at the 50% point. Reading Ted's post, that may have been the problem.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:18:32 PM »
Howard,

It had a sharp leading edge and was "hinged" at the 50% point.

D'OH!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 07:06:02 AM »
Howard,

It had a sharp leading edge and was "hinged" at the 50% point. Reading Ted's post, that may have been the problem.

As they say on American Idol, "sounds a little pitchy, dude!"  :o  n1  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 09:09:15 AM »
As an old VooDoo and Combat Cat flyer, I had a lot of 'em.

I found that any amount of COUNTER BALANCE, that is, elevator are in front of the hinge, is too much. 

Counterbalance is needed on real planes, but a man can move the flipper on a model without help.
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 11:02:40 AM »
I remember seeing Bill's Nobler at the NATs - don't remember which one though.  It WAS beautiful and because of the finish is probably still in pretty good shape.  Between the Fitzgeralds, the McClellans and "Unca Ted", Big Art sent a LOT of OS-35's to the left coast back then!

BTW: Over the past couple issues of MA Dean Pappas has been writing some most-excelent pieces about stabilator design for RC Pattern.

I only built/flew a few combat models but I agree with Paul Smith's comment that even a little counterbalance went a LONG way.  THe VooDoo and (I think) most others are hinged pretty close to 0% (i.e. right at the leading edge).  I think (Netzeband & Baron) Humbug's used about 5% countrbalance.  Could be if the area of the stabilator is large then some counterbalancing is a good idea?

BEST thing about stabilators is they are easy to make as plug-ins for take-apart birds!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »
Hey guys, I was about 17 when I built it. Seemed like a good idea at the time.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 03:55:12 PM »
If some variation on this theme could be made practical, maybe it would help with the need to adjust stab incidence without major surgery in cases where a little elevator droop isn't the solution.  At Eugene, I saw yet another flyer--an accomplished Advanced builder and pilot--using biased line spacing on his handle as a band-aid solution to uneven turn rates.  Some flyers do not consider this solution a band-aid, especially since the alternative involves a lot of work.   

Kim Mortimore
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:47:18 PM by Kim Mortimore »
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 08:47:16 PM »
Wow, Schultzie.  You've got my nostalgia genes all agog.

Another great pilot who is no longer with us (Roger Barrett) came up to Bill at the first Nats he brought the Nobler to and asked what he had painted the ship with.  Yes, it was that good!  

Another great ride for a Big Art .35.  We had a lot of them in those days.

Ted

p.s.  Just noted the "76" on the rudder.  That tells us that the ship first showed up at the Nats the same year, 1976, as did my Moby Dick in the other thread.

Ted...
Speaking of great old rides...Ted! I have always loved this paint scheme of yours...here is a revamped enhanced photo of that great model.
Don Shultz

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 03:24:04 AM »
I too, as many combat fliers, experimented with counterbalanced stabilators back in the 60s...found them detrimental no matter how small the degree.  Hinges any distance behind the LE just destabilized the plane. Stabilators are plenty sensitive without it.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 09:22:18 AM »
I remember my first VooDoo.  Built it box stock and tried to fly it.  Folded the wing on the first loop.  Second VooDoo I cut the controls down to where there was only about 15 degrees each way.  Made for a better flying plane and had no problems with level flight.

It was Scarinzi's Giant Killer that would take about three or four laps to get up to speed.  It was sensitive on controls.  Once up to speed it flew great.

Someone mentioned the Humbug.  I had one at VSC this year.  Only problem with the plane was the little OS 25 FP is not enough motor.   It flew alright for me.  Level flight was great to me and it would go where I wanted it.  Of course on my first official I didn't realize it was coming in at the third turn of the hourglass.   I am in the process of building another one.  But, will use a little more power. 

Looking at the picture of the Nobler with the flying stab, I would have cut down the control throw on the stab and eliminated the flaps.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 09:20:47 PM »
I think stabalators was a pretty good idea.  They first showed up in Stunt in 1949 when Bob Daily won the Nats with one hinged at 33%.  His buddy had one hinged at 47%  I think they did OK with them hinged there because they flew the OT pattern at very high speeds with Fox .59's.

For slow speed flying I think 15-20% hinge would be necessary.  Ted what did the original Mobey Dick look like?
Did I see it fly at Concord CA around May 1974?

Jim Pollock   ???

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 02:51:29 AM »
25% is the aerodynamic center, so if the stab is hinged behind that, there would be trouble unless there's a very stiff linkage to the flaps, or there's a double-hinge scheme like some Piper airplanes.

I used aerodynamic balance on combat plane stabilators.   It let me get away with wimpy pushrods.  The stabilators were hinged at about 15% chord.  I build maybe 100 airplanes that way.  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »
I think stabalators was a pretty good idea.  They first showed up in Stunt in 1949 when Bob Daily won the Nats with one hinged at 33%.  His buddy had one hinged at 47%  I think they did OK with them hinged there because they flew the OT pattern at very high speeds with Fox .59's.

For slow speed flying I think 15-20% hinge would be necessary.  Ted what did the original Mobey Dick look like?
Did I see it fly at Concord CA around May 1974?

Jim Pollock   ???

That would have been the airplane, Jim.  I had built a new take-a-part airplane for the Nats and boinked it after only a few flights.  Had a modified Twister with a Veco .19 that looked pretty spiffy and flew well so thought I'd fly that instead.  Boinked that.  Ta da!  Here comes the original Moby Dick.  It looked just like the one in Schultzie's pictures except it had sort of a quasi "Delta Airlines" Triangle scheme on it.  In fact, Al Rabe assumed I worked for Delta when he learned I was a pilot due to that color scheme.  I quickly abandoned the scheme lest my actual employer, United, were to think the same thing.

Cute story about the original flying at the '74 Nats in the heat of Lake Charles and its grossly disproportionate wing loading.  Somehow it managed to qualify for the finals but on the first of two flights I forgot the triangles.  Dang!

Second flight I flew the triangles but the thing stalled badly on the last corner of the second one (only stall of the week, however, despite its 64 oz on the Nobler wing).  Managed not to crash after the stall but just barely.

After the finals were over (finished, I think maybe 12th) Jack Sheeks, who was a judge that year, came up to me as I walked off the field with the Moby Dick.  He put his arm around my shoulders and opined "... Ted, we were all upset when you left the triangles out on your first flight".  Then, with out skipping a beat, he went on to add "... after you flew the triangles in the second flight we all thought you might have left them out on purpose!"

Ouch!

Ted

p.s.  Re the successful aft hinged flying tail ships.  I double dare you to take a good flying airplane, replace the tail with a stabilator hinged at 47%, fly it and declare it an improvement!  Bob and his buddy were obviously exceptional stick men.  I'm pretty good but gave up on the concept pretty quickly.

The aerodynamic problem with a hinge aft of the aerodynamic center of the surface is that, once deflected at all, the center of pressure is forward of the hinge point and the surface wants to increase it's deflection to whatever stop there is to stop it  -- as opposed to a more forward hinge point that will cause the surface to want to return to neutral by virtue of the center of pressure being aft of the hinge.  Depending on the size, hinge point  and deflection the forces developed by the forward aerodynamic center could well exceed the line tension available to overcome them.

If the surface is hinged exactly at its aerodynamic center it will have neither tendency and will be perfectly happy to remain in whatever state of deflection it is at a given moment.  There will be no tendency to return to neutral, thus getting there will require a positive input from the pilot.  If the pilot misses the correct move to neutral he'll have to start all over again.  This was the occasional state of affairs I suffered when crashing in level flight became a pretty decent possibility.

Once again, my non-mathematical mind causes me to think of such things in their extreme state.  If a stabilator was hinged at the trailing edge how much control over its deflection do you think you'd have?  Think of holding a sheet of plywood on its "trailing" edge as you hold it into a 60MPH wind in the back of Al's pick up truck wind tunnel.  Think you could hold it in "neutral"? 

Me neither!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 11:30:25 AM »
Conclusion: if the darned things worked, we'd all be using them.  y1 #^ LL~ LL~ D>K

HUH? MAYBE THEY JUST DON'T WORK FOR YOU TY LL~ S?P VD~
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:50:27 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 12:58:35 PM »
hey dont blame me I dinna' say nothin' !!!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »
Well Shultize, when you rebuild that Chip's tail, why don't you try it and show us how it's done?   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »
Gordan and I discussed the use of stabilators at the flying field this past Sunday. He used them with great success on his Challenger Combat ships some years back.

He found that it didn't take much deflection to really get a turn out of them. I think he said he used 12 degrees of deflection. He also mounted near the leading edge of the stabilator. We also decided that flaps might not be needed if the design was kept to reasonable weights.

I believe if I were to try them I would take a good hard look at successful combat designs for inspiration.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 10:53:58 PM »
Ty,
That was Wild Bill's very own Humbug.  It is essentially the prototype for the RSM kit.
Steve

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 12:51:51 PM »
hey dont blame me I dinna' say nothin' !!!
LL~ LL~ LL~WHAT THE  VD~ VD~ VD~was I drinkin' when I typed this??? DK^
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 05:39:39 AM »
Ty,

Actually they do work if hinged properly!  I just don't think I want to try since I build so few airplanes.......

Ted,

If you did fly the original Moby at Concord in May 74, I judged all day after boinking the original Akromaster there when the engine quit at about 60 degrees into the first part of the reverse-wing over.  I hadn't been flying it since 1971 and got the tank full of crud.  Thought I had it cleaned out but nnnnoooooo!

If you remember the day it was hot, hot, hot and kind of devoid of much wind!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »
"IF"????  OK> D>K H^^
I am feeling myself this morn...uhh? Took my meds..all is well in Gig Haaaba. Wheeeeeee@@ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
Ted, t o your Post#17 -

1) Glen Allison, down here in Tucson, did a profile that had a stabilator, hinged about 50% MAC on one of his orig profiles. The model was IIR unflapped. He controlled the "aft of MAC" tendencies with, in effect, an anti-servo tab. He and Keith T had an interesting discussion at a Cholla Choppers meeting about the exact nomenclature and function of the TE counter-tab. It did work, though... Glen had an article on it in the same SN issue with Drindak's 80% hinged stabilator model... Short, ~ 1 pg articles...

2) I also dabbled with them for a while, and found pretty much what's been aired in this thread. Restated, a bit closer to my observations, stabilators can have enormous turning power. That includes a risk of "locking-over" too far, and not being easy to bring back to neutral. I 'd also been flying some RC soaring about that time, and many of those models used 25%-hinged stabilators.

Figuring I did not want to lock one over, and that LE-hinged layout might require to much muscle, I designed the hinge at 20% MAC. That, at least, worked reasonably well.

Then there's an idea that such a layout does not need the vast horizontal tail area of fixed-stab/moving-elevator designs. Also true.

As was an idea you and I may have been known to mention over lo, these many years. (Well, you maybe - who listens to me? ;) ) The idea that a stabilator is pretty much a symmetrical airfoil control surface, while the stab+elevator forms a crude, cambered-airfoil surface. Also true.

That suggests the stabilator doesn't need as much angle to get similar control force. ...that perhaps an angle comparable to the "chord line" (LE to TE straight chord line) for a deflected stab+elev is adequate. Also true, and in spades - the symmetrical section doesn't have the awkward bend in the middle that compromises 'streamlining' and adds drag...

Now, before anyone runs out and tries it on the basis of all these positive ideas, there were some negatives, too.

STATIC balance for the stabilator was important. If the surface static balanced aft of the hingline, the model tended to gallop. (The terms "up" and "down" I'll use refer to the direction of required lift, not ground and sky, ok?) In level flight, and aft-heavy stabilator tends to trail at a slight positive AoA, meaning a "down elevator" tendency. With the 'prongs' of the joiner wire bent forward, and perhaps another touch or two of ballast to make sure the surface static balanced just ahead of the hinge, the 'free-trailing' tendency was slightly nose-up. Since level flight requires a positive AoA - however slight - it didn't cause the same divergence tendency as an aft-heavy stabi.

Grooving? Tracking? No, VERY unlikely. You fly the beast every inch of the way... That didn't affect RC soarers, since the servo pushrods are a 'dead hand' in effect. Where you move the stick to is where  the servo wheel stops, and thus also the control surface. With our immediate, direct, free, feedback in CL it don't woik that way at all. Generally, it wasn't too bad, about like solo-sailing a small sailboat in choppy and gusty waters... A challenge, but (almost) physically enjoyable...

And, finally - ultimate control/stability power. Ain't got it... That big fat stabilizer in front of that big fat elevator on modern stunter layouts do got it... Plenty of elevator to start and execute a sharp turn, and plenty of stabilizer to stop it. On my 5 or 6 experimentals I learned that oversize stabilators were more nuisance - excess control force, poor exit damping, balance, etc... So, a stabilizer proportioned for fully adequate control in soft conditions ran out of muscle in nasty weather. Particularly at places like the bottom turn of the hourglass. Guess how I found out...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »
Interesting....I wonder how our old Boeing concept "SONIC CRUISER OR WAS THAT SONIC LOSER would work out in a CLPA configuration?  LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 05:15:12 PM »
I’ve been “on the road” for a few days, and put this together, thinking something similar might have been already posted when I got back. There is some overlap with other posts, but I decided to leave it as is for now. This is supposed to be a “thought starter”, not a solution, ya know!

Edit: Ooops! Now there is some overlap! Apparently Lou posted while I was trying to JPEG.

“On the Road” Post
Control sensitivity and lack of stability should be “curable” stabilator issues, given some experimentation and thought.
Control Sensitivity
 Start with the simplest case – an unflapped airplane with a zero-zero-zero incidence setup. The top sketch below shows the start of an outside loop with a conventional stab-elevator. (I chose to sketch an outside loop to show the empennage lifting “up”). The wing is a few degrees negative, which of course means the stab is also a few degrees negative. (In other words, the stabilizer is attempting “stabilize” the airplane by bringing the nose back up, and out of the loop.)
   The “chord line” of the stab-elevator combo (with down control on the elevator) is slightly positive to the relative airflow, creating enough lift to maintain the loop. The stabilator chord line in the lower sketch is also drawn slightly positive to maintain the loop. Two big differences between the stab-elevator sketch and the stabilator sketch are:

1. Regardless of the base airfoil for the stab-elevator, a “bent plate” airfoil is not a powerful final airfoil. The chord line of the stab-elevator will have more incidence than the equivalent airfoil (even if both are flat plates) in the stabilator to produce an equal turning force.

2. The number of degrees of actual stabilator rotation needed to achieve the “same” stabilator incidence as the stab-elevator chord line incidence is much less than the degrees of elevator rotation needed for the same chord line angle. Depends on the ratios of elevator to stab chords, and the number of total degrees, but some trig and “Kentucky Windage” will give degrees of rotation for the stabilator of half or less than those of the elevator – just to match the chord lines, or “equal effect” chord lines, anyway. The sketch shows a red stabilator at the same angle as the elevator, and, that has to be wrong, doesn’t it?

A guess: A starting point for control sensitivity for an unflapped plane is in the neighborhood of 40% to 50% of the same airplane with a stab-elevator. A longer control horn, shorter bellcrank pushrod arm, or some combo of the two that gives the lesser ratio should do.

An extension of these observations also suggest a reasonable starting point for control ratios of a flapped model converted from stab-elevator to stabilator. Keep handle to flap ratios (flap control sensitivity) the same as with the conventional stab. Decrease the flap to stabilator ratio to half or less of the former elevator ratio. If elevator / flaps were 1:1, use a longer stabilator control horn (or connect lower on the flap horn) so the stabilator moves 40% to 50% of the flap rotation.

Stability
A sort of half-truth is that us Intermediates know one thing better than experts – how difficult it is to nail all the straight-leg portions of maneuvers! For a design to be a viable PA contender, for most us straight and steady, at any time and in any direction, has to be, literally, “right around the corner.”
   The TVC calculations for a stabilator and stab-elevator are identical. Potential stability is the same for both. Expressing the TVC formula in terms that “speak to us”, we can write:

TVC = (Wing Area / Empennage Area) * (Tail Moment: wing 25% MAC to empennage 25% MAC) / Wing MAC

Or in English, Tail Volume Coefficient (TVC) is the ratio of empennage area to wing area multiplied by the tail moment, expressed as a number of wing chords.
A tacit assumption is that the first ratio (empennage area to wing area) is an expression of the relative lifting power of the two areas. We seldom build stab-elevators that are the aerodynamic equals of our wings, but a stabilator is potentially as good as or better than a wing, particularly a flapped wing vs. a clean mini-wing stabilator. In short, strictly from a TVC perspective, the stabilator model should be as stable as, or more stable than, a conventional stab-elevator combo.
{Side note: Although in the actual flight of an airplane, the TVC tail moment operates from the CG, not the 25% MAC, for most purposes it is easier to keep track of what we are about by using the MAC to MAC number. Just keep in mind that a trimmed airplane that has the CG forward of the 25% MAC will be more stable than our “raw” TVC would indicate; i. e., a larger trimmed TVC}
   But that is not true in practice, because the calculations assume non-movable surfaces for the wing and empennage. The calculations are more representative of actual stability for a conventional empennage, as the stabilizer is, indeed, a non-movable surface. A stabilator is more of a stabiLATOR than a STABILator in actual practice.
   Of course, using less movement (as mentioned under Sensitivity) should help some. But a stabilator begs for a non-linear bellcrank / horn setup, perhaps half again as sensitive near neutral as at maneuvering angles. The more “fixed” at neutral the stabilator is, the more true the TVC prediction of stability. Conceptually, we’d like a “bellcrank” more like rack and pinion steering, but with an elliptical “pinion” – with the flatter side of the ellipse engaged at neutral. A good engineer might be able to come up with something practical that behaves more like a rack and pinion than a normal bellcrank does. Or, maybe the reduced sensitivity would do the job by itself, we’d have to see.
   Slop, or play in the controls, some folks like anyway – personally I can’t see designing some “dream” control system that depends on something as crude as “slop” to function “correctly”.

Another crude solution to reduce sensitivity near neutral, is to choose a stabilator airfoil that creates very little lift at very low angles of attack – such as a blunt rounded, but not really “airfoiled”, stabilator. Anyone have a good airfoil candidate? Maybe a diamond airfoil? Point is, even our worst choice will likely be better at maneuvering angles than the bent plate stab-elevator combo.
   Or maybe the opposite approach would work? Make the stabilator as efficient as possible, as thick as the wing(%), and reduce the total stabilator sensitivity even further?

Feel
I added this after I got back. Part of stability is certainly control feel and feedback – a “feel” for neutral. Intuitively, a pivot point somewhere in front of the leading edge of the stabilator should be better. I can’t think of a good way to do that that wouldn’t be either butt ugly, structurally unsound, or both. A swept leading edge stabilator, hinged at the “point” might work to some degree. Pivoting anywhere aft of the leading edge has to be wrong.

Larry Fulwider

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »
Exactly what combat designers found, you must severely limit the amount of stabilator movement, or else stagger all over the sky. 

I actually tried a 1/2A stabilator system that hinged ahead of the stab LE: Single flat boom with hinge and horn on the boom itself ahead of the stabilator.  It did work,very smooth and stable--and quick turning--but I never overcame structural weakness problems, and it was easy to hit that--whatchacallit--"Netzeband wall" or whatever, when the slipstream pressure overcomes line tension and control edges back toward neutral. Maneuvers tended to open up upwind or during a sick engine run.

Wish I'd kept a picture of the setup. It was an interesting experiment.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »

. . .
Then there's an idea that such a layout does not need the vast horizontal tail area of fixed-stab/moving-elevator designs. Also true. . . .
. . .

Lou –

I briefly thought about stabilator area reduction. Hearing you say it convinces me it is part of the solution. Check out my “confirming” reasoning.

Consider the parts of the pattern where you transition from a sharp corner to straight, grooved flight in some direction. As good an example as any is the first upward vertical of an inside square.
   Go back to the TVC factor of (Empennage Area / Wing Area), which should be the ratio of lifts between the two surfaces, but typically is not because of the CL differences, which we ignore. That is, we slightly overstate TVC with a normal stabilizer setup.
   During the correction millisecond when we slightly over-control down to smooth the transition from the square corner to a vertical flight path, the normal stab-elevator combo is mildly crippled by its lower CL, the feel of which is “normal”.
   Reducing the stabilator area from that of the combined stab-elevator would bring the stabilator (Empennage Area / Wing Area) ratio more in line with a “corrected” stab-elevator TVC. I don’t know what the correction factor would be, maybe .6, maybe .8, maybe only .99? Whatever, the math says whatever number we assume becomes the trial stabilator area reduction. That is, guessing it is .9, we have:

Stab Elevator TVC Area Ratio (corrected for CL) = ( (.9 * Empennage Area stab-elev) / Wing Area)

Reduced Stabilator Area TVC Ratio = (Empennage Area stabilator) / Wing Area),

Where (Empennage Area stabilator / Empennage Area stab-elev) = .9

Of course, that ratio is true not just during the transition, but at maneuvering angles also. That’s OK too, my guess.

The trick is finding the correct stabilator area reduction and the correct reduction in control linkage sensitivity combo to bring us “back home” to a more stabilizer-elevator feel in both maneuvers and in grooviness.

A skeptic might well ask, “So, if all that works, which I doubt, all you did was duplicate the performance of a conventional stab-elevator configuration with a lot more hassle, right? You gained nothing!”

I don’t think so, but that is a whole ‘nother thread.

Larry Fulwider

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 01:45:13 PM »
Larry,

THANKS! Very clear and enjoyable...

I approached the question of stabilator angle deflection range a bit differently. I did not expect the all-moving, symmetrical surface should go to the same angle as the elevator portion of a combo fixed+turning "surface." Such large angles were empirically found to be a no-no early-on from the experience of combat fliers.

In your JPEG, if you draw a line from the deflected elevator TE to the stabilizer LE, you depict the "net" chordline of the combination. I took the "net" chordline as approximating the angle of attack of the "bent" combination of stabilizer and elevator as a starting point. Actually, the two surfaces DO form one crudely cambered airfoil. I set up stabilator movement range to be about the same as the "net chordline" range for the combo tail. Yes, it took a very long stabi horn to slow response correctly.

And it worked very well. I had this a 400 sq in, .15 powered original-design profile (worry not - it weighed under 20 oz and had an 11% airfoil section.) On one occasion Mike Keville saw how well it turned, and asked to try flight on it. When he saw the all-flying stabi, he insisted on setting the handle lines too close together. He "knew how touchy those stabilator models are." He didn't enjoy the flight. (I had it dialed out in the control installation.) He said he was holding full-up all the way around, trying to do a loop, and hoping he had enough sky to miss the ground when it came around. Even so, with normal handle linespread, the model did not groove positively.  Better, much better, but still no auto-pilot.

That model dated from about 1983-84, and it took until last year for me to do something stupid enough to bust it. Plans? The originals, no, but I measured the remains.  Come to think on it, I may have landed too hot. My local flying field is like the hook side a piece of velcro, waiting for the felt side (aka: your model's landing gear) to grab onto. As I recall, I tore one of the wing-mounted gear blocks out, found enough oil inside the wing to discourage rebuilding (aw, come on - after 25 years plus? gimme a break...).
\BEST\LOU

Offline sleepy gomez

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »
My plane, the Tapeworm, a stabilator design with an OS 40, flies quite well with a tail volume coefficient of .21 to point .23.  This is using a TVo chart that takes in wing area, stab area AND the LTo or length of tail coefficient.   One other result of this chart is to give safe location to the CG.    Points are taken at 1/4 chord of stab, stab area, and area & MAC of wing.  The LTo = LE of wing measured to 1/4 chord of stab.  I have extended the Bogart & Rhodes chart that I used for many years in Free Flight.  This chart has never lied to me even as I use it in control line. For control line I use a line .24% to the left of the Free Flight line.  I believe proper stab sizing and LE hinging to be very important. 
NOTE:  the original chart refers to TVo while common usage refers to TVC.  SLEEPY

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 06:29:59 PM »
This puppy has a leading edge hinged stabilator.  It flys just fine.  Stability in level flight is mainly a function of the balance point and the steadiness of the pilot's hand.  I tend to get jitters(essential tremor) which sometimes makes it wobble.  Relaxing and letting the plane fly itself takes care of it.  The tail volume is about .2, which is a bit small.  The balance range between sharp corners and overcontrol is fairly small, less than 1/4 oz. of nose weight.
phil Cartier

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 11:45:40 PM »
I haven't sulked off into a corner on this one.  Some very interesting input from Lou and Larry and others.  The reduced deflection is a no brainer for sure.  I also liked the comments regarding static balance (not to sure I'd expect too much from that but the logic seems sound) and the anti-balance tabs for aft hinged surfaces to provide some centering forces.

There is likely something worth investigating in these refinements but I'm still pretty much willing to let others do so based on my past experiences and the fact that I can pretty much get all the corner I can handle from a plain vanilla stab/elevator so don't see much to be gained from the time spent experimenting (other than the search for more wisdom).

Good stuff.

Ted

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 06:11:35 AM »

. . .
. . . and the fact that I can pretty much get all the corner I can handle from a plain vanilla stab/elevator so don't see much to be gained from the time spent experimenting (other than the search for more wisdom).

. . .

Ted

Ted –

Yeah, you “good guys” admit from time to time that, as a practical matter, you probably don’t use all of the corner you have available now!

I think the potential advantage is more of piped vs unpiped thing, only on the aerodynamic side, not the powertrain side. We don’t need  “cleaner” lower drag stunters. However, the difference in drag between a modern stunter at, say, 20 degrees of control and the same stunter at neutral is pretty dramatic in the empennage. You couldn’t design a much “dirtier” airfoil than the conventional stab-elevator at square corner deflection angles, adding in its peculiar angle of attack.

A stabilator, if you get it right, has the potential of somewhat easing the powertrain chore of coping with those different drags. The potential advantage, for us bottom-feeders anyway, would be an unpiped powertrain that flies more like a piped ship. The huge change in lift requirements from level to a square means there will always also be a huge difference in drag between the two configurations. However, diminishing the difference should give some advantage, somewhere.

If successful, the electric guys, for example, should show smaller wattage spikes during squares, particularly on something severe like the horizontal square eight.

This thread reads differently to different people, I suppose. Kind of like whether War and Peace is about Russia, love, or war

Larry Fulwider

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 09:06:07 PM »
A stabilator, if you get it right, has the potential of somewhat easing the powertrain chore of coping with those different drags. The potential advantage, for us bottom-feeders anyway, would be an unpiped powertrain that flies more like a piped ship. The huge change in lift requirements from level to a square means there will always also be a huge difference in drag between the two configurations. However, diminishing the difference should give some advantage, somewhere.

I have no doubt that you might gain a minor aerodynamic advantage from a flying stab (minor, because the wing is lifting maybe 60 lbs, and the tail maybe 5, and even if the L/D of the stab is relatively bad, its still a small part of the overall induced drag). But I think that is greatly outweighed by the structural and/or weight disadvantages for a stunt plane.

Brett

Offline sleepy gomez

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 01:17:30 PM »
I feel like that with the reduction in stab area allowed by the stabilator, any weight difference would be negligable. 
Structural issues can be easily overcome with a little non traditional thinking. 

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 12:55:16 AM »
I feel like that with the reduction in stab area allowed by the stabilator, any weight difference would be negligable. 
Structural issues can be easily overcome with a little non traditional thinking. 

I am not sure how you can reduce the stab area. The stabilator is somewhat more effective at producing control torques than a conventional stab/elevator for a given area but you wlll certainly reduce the static stability and damping. When it's not deflected it's just like any other stab,

I would be interested in how you get the pivot and pivot bearing through the fuse with the same rigidity as a conventional stab. I don't see how, myself, traditional or otherwise

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »
Some years ago, I did an interesting, almost Al Rabe-ish, experiment with this. I took a hinged stab and elevator from a crashed plane (I tend to collect these unfortunately). I also took a sort of stabulator (a stab and elevator that had the hinges removed, squared up the LE of the elevator and TE of the stab and glued the elevators to the stab - also from a crashed plane). I had my wife drive around at about 50mph on the highway and just held the things out the window. Of course the conventional unit, you could hold the stab and the elevator just trailed behind. using a thumb against the control horn to slightly deflect the elevator (a couple of degrees), you could really feel the lift and directional change in the thing. but if the horn were let go, it was pretty happy just snap back into the slipstream of the stab and didn't do much of anything.

With the other unit, it was fairly hard (as far as amount of muscle input) to just hold it steady in the airstream. Weirdly, more than the other unit. I suppose it possible that the elevator just flapping behind produced some tendency in the stab to stay put or dampen oscillation, but whatever the reason, the solid unit took more effort to hold steady. A couple of degrees of deflection in the unit almost ripped the thing out of my hand. Enormously more pressure for a smaller amount of deflection proportionally.

Now, this isn't at all scientific. I was just trying to get a feeling in general of the pressures involved. I did learn that if I ever built another plane with a stabulator, I would confine it to a lot less deflection that a regular elevator. And that there would need to be some serious beef around the anchor point of the thing. Not sure how I would do that.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »
Brett, re: your post 41,

For the flat plank stabilators on a profile, a plywood center-plate mounted across the fuselage, within the plan view of the tail and extending about an inch outboard each side, provided a solid bearing mount. A 1/8 (ID or OD, depending on model size) brass tube was glas'ed and epoxied to the bearing tube platform. The appropriate diameter MW passed through it forming the 'spreader,' which reached 1.5" to 2" into each stabilator half. That's a long enough bearing length to prevent wobble, and provided the required strength. 

For thicker, airfoiled tails, the bearing plate was faired into the stab planforms and airfoils.

Only two models needed a TE "tie" of light music wire, to prevent binding due to air drag fore/aft distortion. One was (still is, btw) a 200 sq in Sarpolus-like sheet wing 1/2A built VERY light - flying weight under 6 oz, dry. The other was an 09 powered lightweight. 3/32 spreader in 1/8 ID tube was adequate for the large area profile I mentioned, and 1/8 in 5/32 OD tube served for a couple of .35 size built-ups.

Clearance between the moving and fixed parts was very close, maintained and kept from sliding spanwise by a washer as a standoff, soldered to the spreader on the inboard side, and epoxied to it on the outboard side. I used a control horn at the fuse centerline on the built-ups, and trapped the spreader spanwise by the horn and the two pieces of bearing tube.

Simple enough stuff for exeprimenting, and a heck of a lot more solid than those wobbling-wonder 2 meter sailplane installations.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »
I'm with Brett on the undesirability of reduced area when considering the "alternative" job of the tail which is to stabilize the vehicle.

Randy's experiments were slick and informative ... albeit without enough detail about how the units were suspended out the window; i.e. where were the surfaces "held" with respect to their aerodynamic center.  What forces was Randy feeling while deflecting them?

I'm also not a big fan of the desirability of reduced drag from a deflected stabilator vice a conventional tail.  A draggier tail moves the center of drag aft and, I believe, helps to stabilize the rate of pitch change; i.e. make starting and stopping it more positive.  One of the theoretical reasons we've gone to lower aspect ratio tails with some degree of success.

Can't quantify that, however.

Ted

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »

One Full size thing has about 7 Deg. Total movement ( flying tailplane )  a jet .

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2009, 10:36:28 PM »
Bill Wilson's PNA (Pretty, Nice, Airplane) has been around about a year and sports a full flying stab. It is really a nice flying machine, styled somewhat reminiscent of a Spartan Executive. I think the hinge point is about 18% and the geometry of the "bearing" going through the fuselage, an aluminum rod with carbon tubes is really well-thought out and executed. This is the second post I've tried tonight because I lose the post when I search through the files for a picture of this machine. Suffice it to say that it tracks and grooves well, has a crisp corner, uses an LA65 (short nose moment) and the SOP front row finish. I'll keep trying for a picture or two.    There may be a pic of this on the DMAA-1902 website in the contest reports section, should anyone be interested.  JDR- I need help here....!   dg

Nope, no pix at DMAA of this plane. Shucks...

Maybe this'll work....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:01:55 AM by dale gleason »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2009, 09:48:03 AM »
Picture of another great artist with his plane.  Thanks Ole Dad.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline sleepy gomez

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
Speaking of traditional thinking:  If George Aldrich had flown the Nobler with a 3 foot log chain attached to the landing gear then most stunters today would be flown with a 3 foot log chain.  AND claiming this is the best way to fly! 

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
Lou and Larry have the correct answer!

Balance it or it will hunt and other weird stuff.

You know how a tail heavy wing acts--the flying stab/elevator is a wing.

LONG control horns, lots of bell crank movement and ridged, no slop linkage.
This worked well for me on last combat design at border line tail heavy.
Estimate it to be about 15-20% aero counter balanced and mounted to a stub stabilizer for ease and strenght--dead soft balsa.
Just fly it to where you wanted it with out looking at the airplane. very stable.
Control horn lenght in the 1 1/2 to 2 inch range.
Outer hole for push rod on bell crank.
Outer holes for lead outs.
Small E Zjust hotrock handle.

I wouldn't put the pivot back more than 25% and 33% would be absolute max.
Static balance it!!!!!! it is a wing now.

Would probably help to use an airfoil that the CP does not move around much with angle of attack changes.

Just my 4cents worth.

David

Pics posted during Chemo nightmare are here.
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=2510.0
David Roland

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2009, 04:06:09 PM »
The Giles 202 arf that Richard Oliver and others are flying have a H. stab that is so small that the elevator is really a  stabalator, and they work fine.  One of the big problems that I see with a stabalator is building a bearing structure that will last for hundreds of flights without wearing out.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
I wouldn't put the pivot back more than 25% and 33% would be absolute max.

For almost any airfoil, it would have to be ahead of 25% in almost all cases. I can't over-emphasize - the stab will have to be stable on its own. You can't count on the flap stabilizing it.

Brett

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 03:47:20 PM »
There's a reason the majority of the flying-tail combat designs of the 60s-70s pivoted the stabilator on its leading edge. It only requires about half the movement of a conventional elevator as is; no point in making it even more sensitive.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here