News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:31:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flaps and Elevator Working together? Puzzling....  (Read 13514 times)

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Flaps and Elevator Working together? Puzzling....
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »
Just wondering on this aerodynamic theory. :)

How come in a combat airplane, with the elevator connected to the airfoil, and given a down control results in a downward maneuver. Whereas in a standard stunt airplane with a flap, which is connected to the airfoil, with a stabilizer and elevator with the elevator in the up position and the flap is in the down position the plane goes up... Why??  In the combat airplane the reaction is down and in the standard stunt airplane the reaction is just the opposite...up.

They both are giving lift but in opposite directions, but yet moving in the same direction. Puzzling... ???

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline David_Stack

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Flaps and Elevator Working together? Puzzling....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
Good Morning Roger;

Caveat, I am no aero engineer, so those who are will likely respond with a better (more correct) answer...

On a traditional stunt model the elevator is at the end of the fuselage, and the additional leverage afforded by it's distance from the c/g overcomes any opposite pitch which may result from the deployment of flaps.

r/
Dave

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »
Hey Roger:

When the elevator is in back and you command "up", it pushes the back of the airplane down.  So the whole plane starts going down, but it also starts pitching up, and some short time later the airplane goes up.  The control engineers in the group will start babbling about "unstable zeros" or "non-minimum phase systems" at this point -- ignore them.

When the elevator is attached to the wing and there's no other control surface back there, the same thing happens -- the instantaneous effect is for the plane to go down, but the cumulative effect is for the plane to go up.  On a combat wing the "down" part is very brief, so you don't notice.

On a stunt plane, when you command "up", the flaps go down and the elevators go up.  The wing is both lifting more, and trying to make the airplane pitch down.  The elevator is generating down-force, and trying to make the airplane pitch up.  On a well-trimmed airplane, this makes the airplane perform some pleasing balance of lifting more and rotating (and in Igor Burger's airplanes, there's a mechanism on the flaps that changes the flap:elevator ratio as a function of deflection, so you get less pitching at low deflections and more rotation at high deflections -- which makes a difference if you fly as well as the Big Boys).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »
Flaps and combat wing trailing edge elevators can be looked at as changing the angle of attack of the wing.  This of course effectively changes the way air flows over the wing and changes which way is lifting more.

In a typical flapped airplane with an elongated tail section the leverage of the tail has more control over the pitch of the plane and therefore the angle of attack is not able to cause the plane to react like a wing with a TE elevator.  Instead the wing generates more lift in the direction of maneuver, so the elevator has a more solid pivot to pitch the plane around.

The wing with TE elevator wants to have a neutral angle of attack, so as the elevator changes the angle of attack the wing will pitch away from the direction of increased lift.

Phil

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 08:39:25 PM »
As puzzling as it seems, I have overheard qualified commercial pilots answer this one incorrectly and it seems that we are alone with counter operating controls in the aeronautical world.

(Now that's sure to attract a rebuttal!)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:45:01 PM »
As puzzling as it seems, I have overheard qualified commercial pilots answer this one incorrectly and it seems that we are alone with counter operating controls in the aeronautical world.

Similar discussions have been posted before.  In at least one some full-scale pilots came on and cited aircraft that would pitch up with flaps, and others that would pitch down.  It has to do with the flap & tail feather arrangement.  Or maybe how many virgins you sacrifice during the design process -- I'm not sure.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:25:58 PM »

Commercial pilots, as a general rule, don't know how to design airplanes. And I am sure some of the exceptions - commercial pilots Ted Fancher, David Fitzgerald, Al Rabe, Todd Lee, and others probably understand how it works.

People have been using flaps for maneuvering since before WW II. The P-38, for example, was rated to use flaps in the turns to improve the turning radius. Richard I Bong, top P-38 ace, used them to great effect to improve his combat chances.

I am not going to bother describing how it works because it has been described clearly the modeling press since about 1948 or so (Glo-Devil) and Bob Palmer. Anyone who doesn't get it should go check out the radius of an outside loop performed in a Piper Cub. It's really that simple. Or hook up your controls backwards and see how it works.

Brett

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Thanks guys for your input. :)

I am not an engineer of any type, been in architectural drafting all these years, and have thought about this aerodynamic theory a long time. Back in June 1960 I design an stunt ship and it flew great till the elevator push rod came loose, then the flaps worked as an elevator and down it went when I gave UP on the handle.

So I guess the best answer is that the most rear working control devise controls the plane.  y1

Roger

Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »
 Commercial pilots, as a general rule, don't know how to design airplanes. And I am sure some of the exceptions - commercial pilots Ted Fancher, David Fitzgerald, Al Rabe, Todd Lee, and others probably understand how it works.

People have been using flaps for maneuvering since before WW II. The P-38, for example, was rated to use flaps in the turns to improve the turning radius. Richard I Bong, top P-38 ace, used them to great effect to improve his combat chances.

I am not going to bother describing how it works because it has been described clearly the modeling press since about 1948 or so (Glo-Devil) and Bob Palmer. Anyone who doesn't get it should go check out the radius of an outside loop performed in a Piper Cub. It's really that simple. Or hook up your controls backwards and see how it works.

Brett

Hi Brett,
             yes perhaps pilots don't know how to design airplanes but the confusion comes from the nomenclature of 'coupled.'
To most pilots coupled flaps means they are 'only' designed for banked turns, as in one drops and one lifts, not bidirectional landing flaps such as stunters use.

It took me about 15 minutes to explain to a good pilot friend of mine exactly why and what the use of being 'coupled' was for, and even then I am not sure he got it!

The one that wrinkles my brow is Canard flaps, up ...... down......... moving in opposition.............in unison ........ahh, my head hurts just thinking about it

Cheers.

P.S. I do know that applying too much flap opens up the maneuvers due to excess pitching.

MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »
Hi Brett,
             yes perhaps pilots don't know how to design airplanes but the confusion comes from the nomenclature of 'coupled.'
To most pilots coupled flaps means they are 'only' designed for banked turns, as in one drops and one lifts, not bidirectional landing flaps such as stunters use.

Meaning, coupled to the ailerons?
AMA 64232

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
Meaning, coupled to the ailerons?

Yes, well put.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »
  Caveat, I am no aero engineer, so those who are will likely respond with a better (more correct) answer...

On a traditional stunt model the elevator is at the end of the fuselage, and the additional leverage afforded by it's distance from the c/g overcomes any opposite pitch which may result from the deployment of flaps.

I am, and I think you put it well.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »

The one that wrinkles my brow is Canard flaps, up ...... down......... moving in opposition.............in unison ........ahh, my head hurts just thinking about it

Once you start looking at that one, you will very quickly find out why canards are NOT a good idea. The answer is that you want the flap on the wing to move to camber the wing, just like on a regular airplane. And then the canard needs to get very much larger, because the CG has to be very far ahead of the wing, so that pitches it down very strongly. So you have to get far more lift out of the canard than you would a conventional tail. So you might be inclined to make the canard larger. But then you have to move the CG further forward to make it stable with a larger canard.

It turns out that once you get the canard about 4x the area of the wing, you hit about the optimum arrangement, and, you start needing to move the flaps on the wing in the conventional direction.  So, canards work great as long as you make the canard large enough, QED.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
Head hurts a little less now, thanks Brett.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 05:44:27 PM »
It comes down to things we call moment coefficients and stability derivatives.

Some aircraft will pitch up when the flaps go down - a Cessna 150 is a good example. Some pitch down, like a Mooney 201 or my HP10.

It's all a complicated dance between the wing's downwash on the tail and how it alters the flow field around the aircraft.

I find that flaps on a CL ship make corners smoother, but not necessarily tighter.

Other's experience may be different.

In the full-scale word we use flaps to steepen the descent. They lower the L/D and and so we don't need to be at 500 AGL 6 miles out.

Notice that very, very few unlimited performance full-scale aerobatic aircraft use flaps.

Makes you wonder, eh?

Great question!

AMA 76478

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »
I find that flaps on a CL ship make corners smoother, but not necessarily tighter.

Other's experience may be different.

I guess it depends on what you are comparing.  A good stunt plane with flaps will turn smoother, but not necessarily tighter, than an F2D airplane.  One can make a flapless stunt plane that can score moderately well in smooth air.  The ability: 1) to fly the same path with less turbulence response, 2) to fly more accurately because of direct lift control, and 3) to keep the fuselage aligned with the flight path, favors flaps on a stunt plane.  Flaps enable heavier wing loading, which is the reason they provide less turbulence response.  The heavier wing loading also allows the stunt plane to carry more paint and other superfluous decorations which get you more points by US rules.

The theoretical advantages seem borne out in practice.  Stunt planes that score well in stunt contests most all have flaps.  

I do wonder a little about combat planes, but flaps may not be worth the bother for combat.  Last time I did a flap trade, I think I figured I'd have to build the flaps for 1.5 oz. to break even on drag.  That was before I noticed the benefit of swept forward wings, which would make combat plane flaps even more bother.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »
It's interesting.  Several times I've read quotes from German Me-109 pilots that routinely dropped the flaps to the first stop, 10 deg, when starting combat maneuvering.  ME-109 had a small wing which used leading edge slat, a forgiving airfoil, and flaps.  According to the link below a fellow who owns both a Mustang and an ME-109(Harold Kinsvater) the 109 has much better handling 109 is far superior to either the Mustang or Spitfire for air combat.  It's main flaws were that it was a bit too small and couldn't carry enough fuel when the needed extra range.  And the landing gear apparently killed or wounded more pilots than flying combat.  It was a xxxch to take off and land and ended up in the hands of thousands of barely trained pilots. Once in the air the overall(7-1) tells a lot.

I often wonder how WW-II would have turned out if the Germans had actually strategically planned their options instead of going by Hitler's whims.

Forgot the website:  http://www.scientistsandfriends.com/aircraft.html
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:29:01 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 12:31:52 PM »
I often wonder how WW-II would have turned out if the Germans had actually strategically planned their options instead of going by Hitler's whims.

I suspect they could have done well by themselves to take over most of central Europe, including some warm-water port, then sue for peace, then peacefully win it all with superior industry, ala postwar Japan.  Barring revolutions by Igor's relatives, the name of the European Union would be "Deutchland".
AMA 64232

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »
During one of the VSC meets, I was practicing with my 1952 Nobler. Seems I was still using 50's "technology" and the washer that was soldered to the elevator push rod vibrated loose at the flap horn. I noticed the Nobler was tending to flying a tad lower each lap, so I gave a little up. BLAM, into the asphalt so hard the Fox .35 ended up in the adjoining circle and almost hit the pilot in the center. SO, flaps without a countering elevator become defacto elevators.  FWIW. H^^

I've heard about 10 different versions of this story.  A scant few save the plane.
Phil

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 09:56:11 PM »
Ty,

That why I started this thread to find out the real aerodynamic answer S?P as to why the flaps act as an elevator when the elevator is not connected to the control system.  y1 I totaled the airplane but the fox rocket just got a little bit of grass in the intake.

Thanks for your input.

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 11:42:50 PM »
Isn't all of this just the relationship between the centre of pressure of the model vs the centre of pressure of each lifting surface?
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 07:23:10 AM »

I'll rebut that statement about being alone with counter operating controls.
My RC Sailplanes all have camber added when elevator is applied. They call it snapflap sometimes. It helps the same way, by giving the wing more lift when you are also increasing the angle of attack (where you need more camber, coincidentally). No propellers to pull the plane here, so they need to be efficient.
I'm one of the "crazies" that also has reverse snapflap programmed into my sailplanes, so that down elevator also applies up wing trailing edge.
Even though the wing profiles (airfoils) are not zero camber (symmetrical) like on a C/L stunt plane, the variable camber give by the flaps and ailerons working in harmony to the elevator, is extremely effective.

This works very well, as the tail moment on the sailplanes is very long (although the tail volume is very small, relative to our C/L stunt planes).
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
This works very well, as the tail moment on the sailplanes is very long (although the tail volume is very small, relative to our C/L stunt planes).

Are you keeping in mind that tail volume is tail moment arm times tail area?  And that the tail volume coefficient is something yet again?  I'm not sure that sailplane tail volume coefficient is all that teeny, when all is said and done.

The pitching moment on the wing due to flaps is (roughly -- everything is "roughly" when you're talking aerodynamics) proportional to the percentage of wing chord taken up by flaps times the overall wing chord.  On a high-aspect ratio sailplane, that pitching moment is going to be pretty small compared to an equivalent-area stunter with a 5:1 aspect ratio.  Add in the long tail moment arm, and I'd expect that the overall effect of flaps is to pitch the plane up when the flaps are lowered, and visa-versa.
AMA 64232

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
My RC Sailplanes all have camber added when elevator is applied. They call it snapflap sometimes. It helps the same way, by giving the wing more lift when you are also increasing the angle of attack (where you need more camber, coincidentally). No propellers to pull the plane here, so they need to be efficient.
I'm one of the "crazies" that also has reverse snapflap programmed into my sailplanes, so that down elevator also applies up wing trailing edge.
Even though the wing profiles (airfoils) are not zero camber (symmetrical) like on a C/L stunt plane, the variable camber give by the flaps and ailerons working in harmony to the elevator, is extremely effective.

I hear that setup generally called "spoilers" or "spoileron" and it is a pretty nice feature to have available.  Coming down safe is part of a good day out flying.  Spoilers will generally increase sink rate without changing forward velocity much and with a flip of the switch lift is restored.

Phil

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 03:09:39 PM »
More than happy to be corrected!

Its good to learn something  new.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 09:29:52 AM »
Chris- thanks, I agree, and that's the reason I started flying c/l in the first place, to learn something new.
Phil- spoilers or spoilerons are landing aids. They deteriorate lift.
Snap flap, or more correctly "camber to elevator" is the opposite. It's a pitch aid/lift increase of the wing...
Spoilerons would be like the flaps going up while the elevator goes up on a stunt plane. It's designed to keep pitch attitude the same, while losing some lift.
Tim- yes, the tail moment is much longer, but wing area to tail area is typically much less than 10%, especially on the v-tailed f3b planes I fly....
Additionally, I'll go out on a limb and say that in the sailplanes that I fly, the cg is much closer to the neutral point that with the average c/l stunt plane (I think). That's probably only allowed by that long tail moment. I know that horizontal tail volume is horizontal tail volume, but I think I can feel the difference between boom length and h stab size, even if the volume is the same or nearly so. The longer boom provides more damping I believe even with the same tail volume.
Anyway, I'm totally off topic here now.
Yes, some crazy sailplane bastards like me use full wing trailing edge camber movement mixed to the elevator, just like c/l stunt planes, in the opposite direction, to increase pitch response. The amount is very small comparatively though. My F3F/B planes I use about 4-5mm (measured at the flap root) with full up elevator. The wings are usually only 7-8% thick in profile though....
Back to c/l!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:11:22 PM by Chris Behm »
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
I get it, "reverse snap flap"  is a different thing from spoilers. 

I get to set up my new DLG this weekend, but my radio has less than the recommended number of mixes and no 3-position switches.

Phil

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »
Yeah, for DLG's you want the snapflap in both directions, if possible...makes the push over at the top of the launch more positive, for a few feet extra climb before the airspeed dissolves.
And also 3 flight modes with independent camber and stab trim settings.
Taranis is a reasonably priced and very capable radio, but hard to program.
Airtronic's SD10G is good.

A capable radio make a big difference. PM me if you have any questions. I have a couple DLG's also. They are fun, but I have only been flying C/L and Slope racing lately.

Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Ensign
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »
Doesn't the flap system on our stunt planes act to increase lift when deflected in either direction by changing the airfoil section? The speed of the wind(?) going over and under the surface of the wing the airframe is forced into more turmoil providing the increase in the direction of the deflection?  In that way they then aid in the ability of the stabilizer to provide direction for the airframe.

I am not an aerodynamics engineer (nor do I play one on TV), but that is the explanation I have always been most comfortable with.

Fly the models we do, things like Bernoulli and Reynolds numbers play a small enough part as to be negligible.  So, Ackem's razor applies.  The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.    S?P

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »
Doesn't the flap system on our stunt planes act to increase lift when deflected in either direction by changing the airfoil section?

Yep.  Here's a picture of what flaps do on an Impact airfoil.  The x axis is angle of attack, the y axis is lift coefficient, a measure of the force on the airplane perpendicular to the airstream.  The green line, flaps deflected to 30 degrees, gets to a higher value than the black line, flaps centered.  Also, behold that for a given angle of attack, deflecting the flaps increases the lift.  Angle of attack in all cases is measured relative to the centerline of the airfoil with flaps undeflected. 

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Alas, the internet and popular press are flush with simple aeronautical explanations that are hogwash. 

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2017, 05:21:42 AM »
Yep.  Here's a picture of what flaps do on an Impact airfoil.  The x axis is angle of attack, the y axis is lift coefficient, a measure of the force on the airplane perpendicular to the airstream.  The green line, flaps deflected to 30 degrees, gets to a higher value than the black line, flaps centered.  Also, behold that for a given angle of attack, deflecting the flaps increases the lift.  Angle of attack in all cases is measured relative to the centerline of the airfoil with flaps undeflected.  

Alas, the internet and popular press are flush with simple aeronautical explanations that are hogwash.  

Yes Howard, but now show us the pitching moment and drag as function of flap deflection. That's the rub. Yes, the flap deflection will move the Lift(AoA) curve to the left, but the slope will remain the same (2*Pi) and the pitching moment coefficient will increase as the flap deflects, as will the drag coefficient .  So you increased the lift, but you increased the nose-down pitching moment. This means the horizontal stab/elevator needs to push down harder so the net gain for the entire airplane in lift isn't what it appears.

Also, being picky :) the curves you post appear to be for 2-D flow and don't account for the reduction in slope due to wing geometry, but yes, they show the shift to the left nicely.  The AR will also determine the AoA for stall, and that's why airplanes have a lower AR for the tail than the wing. You want the tail to still be working when the wing stalls. So that means the efficiency of the tail is low and so it will add more drag to counter the moment increase of the flaps... HB~>

And agreed, there is lot of "wisdom" about aerodynamics and stability and control. Most are taken completely out of context. The classic 2D flow picture of a wing never happens except in a wind tunnel. Once you build an actual airplane the flow becomes 3D, and if you're subsonic what the airplane does to the air surrounding it influences the air in front of it.

If you ever want to really bang your head, go to the R/C forums and read what people post about dihedral!!!!
AMA 76478

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Ensign
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »
And does that increase in lift along with forward momentum influence the fact that we 'slush' our way through corners, Chuck?   D>K

And is that why we kept moving toward longer tail moments to make the tail more efficient while not overloading the wing stall?

Layman's terms please!   H^^

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »
And does that increase in lift along with forward momentum influence the fact that we 'slush' our way through corners, Chuck?   D>K

And is that why we kept moving toward longer tail moments to make the tail more efficient while not overloading the wing stall?

Layman's terms please!   H^^

I wouldn't say we "slush" through them. YMMV, but for me a well designed and built CPLA plane will "fly" the corners and that's what makes it a great ship.

Anyway, it's always more complicated for an airplane than an airfoil. As I've discussed before, the wing will have a downwash behind it. The more lift, the higher the downwash. The downwash will change the effective angle of attack for the horizontal tail. This means that we get some "free" up elevator when the flap goes down. So simply by being there, the tail changes the way the ship responds.

Here comes the really fun part: Let's build a 70's era combat ship. Let's put the elevator 6" behind the trailing edge. Elevator goes up, nose goes up. Now let's put it 3" behind the trailing edge.  Elevator goes up, nose goes up. Now, let's attach it to the trailing edge. Elevator goes up, nose goes up.

Nothing magical happens pitch-moment-wise when it gets attached to the wing's trailing edge except that it becomes less efficient as the moment arm decreases.

Next, let's split it in half and move the halves to the wingtips and make them move in opposite directions" One goes down and one goes up. The one that goes down  increases lift and the one that goes up decreases lift. The airplane rolls.

But the one that goes down increases drag and the one that goes up decreases it. This wants to drag the nose of the plane to the side so we need a rudder input.

What the above is *hopefully* demonstrating is that the changes in lift, drag  and moment due to a surface deflection are related, but separate forces.

Making any sense?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:50:51 AM by Chuck_Smith »
AMA 76478

Offline Bob Wiegand

• Ensign
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »
I have to admit that I am at the limits of my aeronautical knowledge.  But I think I'm getting the gist.

I am aware that we deal with many more forces than we are discussing here, such as roll and pitch and yaw from engine torque and line weights on the inboard side(hopefully offset by tip weight on the outboard side), and centrifugal and centripetal forces that real airplanes don't deal with, and so on.  Any attempt to oversimplify seems to lead to more confusion, it seems.  I will be content to think of it as a rock on a string...<grin>

Anyway Chuck, thanks for hanging in their and sharing you knowledge.  It is very appreciated, and was very enlightening!    H^^

Now I need an adult beverage.   D>K

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
Modern RC sailplanes use this same flaps with elevator mixing, adding camber to up elevator, and reflex to down elevator, they call this "snapflap".
We don't have the advantage on them of a propeller pulling the plane though. And still, this is a more efficient way to change pitch, because you want a higher cambered wing profile when you have a higher angle of attack than when you are asking for closer to a zero or nearly zero lift from the wing. Or so I am told.

R,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 04:18:03 PM »

But the one that goes down increases drag and the one that goes up decreases it. This wants to drag the nose of the plane to the side so we need a rudder input.

Making any sense?
All except for the part where a deployed flap 'decreases' drag.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
So that means the efficiency of the tail is low and so it will add more drag to counter the moment increase of the flaps...

I assume that's a joke for my benefit.  I have smilies turned off.  If not, see replies 29 and 35 here: http://stunthanger.com/smf/stunt-design/horizontal-tail-aspect-ratio/
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »
Chris mentions two different phenomena in his reply 36 above.  First is what we call "direct lift control", which appears to be what snap flaps do.  In the picture I posted above, you can see that if you hold angle of attack constant, adding flap adds lift.  So if you counter the pitching moment of the flaps with just enough elevator to balance it, the airplane will change lift without a change of pitch angle.  This gives a quicker response and allows you to fly the airplane more accurately. Without flaps, you gotta rotate the whole airplane to change lift.  A stunt plane that has a higher ratio of flap to elevator near neutral than at full control can fly level more easily than a stunt plane with constant flap-to-elevator ratio. 

...you want a higher cambered wing profile when you have a higher angle of attack than when you are asking for closer to a zero or nearly zero lift from the wing. Or so I am told.

Whoever told Chris "angle of attack" should have said "lift". In the picture I posted above, you can also see that flaps, hence camber, allow higher max lift.  Thus flaps allow an airplane to turn tighter or land slower.  The angle of attack for max lift from an airplane with flaps or camber could be more or less than that for an airplane with a symmetrical airfoil.  In the 2D example of the picture, max lift with flaps deflected happens at a lower angle of attack than max lift with flaps not deflected. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 05:40:13 PM »
The AR will also determine the AoA for stall, and that's why airplanes have a lower AR for the tail than the wing. You want the tail to still be working when the wing stalls.

Hmm.   Interesting.  Thinking about how this would apply to stunt, I would guess that the continued effectiveness of the low-aspect-ratio tail while the wing lift is petering out at high angle of attack might give an effect similar to that of Igor's variable-ratio linkage.  It might be time to take some measurements with the pole-on-the-Miata wind tunnel.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 05:58:03 PM »
Gentlemen,

So, to understand which direction a combat aircraft goes;

When the elevator rotates upward from the direction of level flight
     the combat aircraft goes up.

Thanks for the answer.

Michael Jennings

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »
Hmm.   Interesting.  Thinking about how this would apply to stunt, I would guess that the continued effectiveness of the low-aspect-ratio tail while the wing lift is petering out at high angle of attack might give an effect similar to that of Igor's variable-ratio linkage.  It might be time to take some measurements with the pole-on-the-Miata wind tunnel.

Howard, it's all been done already. Most of the polars for NACA  four-digit airfoils show a formula for converting the 2D for test section to 3D. Just some simple algebra.

BTW Howard - You deserve some kudos for any aero-knowledge I may possess. When I was in my late teens flying Sneekers I could beat anything until a Nemesis went against me.  I read the magazine article about a hundred times and decided I needed to go to college to get a better understanding of what was going on. I thought " These college guys know stuff I don't." I was a crappy student and on a really bad trajectory until that happened.

So, I owe you.

Thank You.

Chuck

AMA 76478

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
All except for the part where a deployed flap 'decreases' drag.
No one? No one sees this as a bit incongruous?

Ok, carry on.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2017, 05:44:37 AM »
No one? No one sees this as a bit incongruous?

Ok, carry on.

Not at all, If the flap goes up and we reduce the lift so we reduce the induced drag, i.e, the relative angle of attack decreases. The wing's geometric angle of attack is fixed to the angle it makes with the flight path, but the relative angle of attack ( the angle at which the wind actually hits the wing) is dependent on it's geometry, loading, and a few other things. It has to do with the tornadoes you can see coming off the wingtips of a large airplane, and why we have a very real thing called "ground effect".  The ground interrupts the wingtip vortices so the aircraft has a reduction in induced drag, and so it "floats" down the runway.
AMA 76478

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
Thanks for the answer Chuck, I see what you are getting at but must admit that its a very transient state.

If you are describing a roll here with simple rudder correction only then I would expect the craft to drop or slip towards gravity, you would need up elevator to correct that.

If the craft starts to roll or place its span away from horizontal then surely the geometric angle of attack is not fixed to its flight path due to excessive slippage?

Thanks.

MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »
An airplane that is turning uses lift to turn and therefore ALWAYS increases drag in a turn. Lift makes drag.  More efficient designs make less drag than poor designs.  But they all increase drag while creating turning force.

The difference in combat and stunt is that in combat we want to turn tight and go fast.
In stunt we want to turn tight and don't mind going slow to turn tighter.
Paul Smith

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »

The difference in combat and stunt is that in combat we want to turn tight and go fast.
In stunt we want to turn tight and don't mind going slow to turn tighter.
maybe I am missing your point here, but on my stunt airplanes i DO mind the airplane slowing down in the corner.
My ideal scenario would be a nice tight accurate flyable corner with NO speed variation...
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »
Thanks for the answer Chuck, I see what you are getting at but must admit that its a very transient state.

If you are describing a roll here with simple rudder correction only then I would expect the craft to drop or slip towards gravity, you would need up elevator to correct that.

If the craft starts to roll or place its span away from horizontal then surely the geometric angle of attack is not fixed to its flight path due to excessive slippage?

Thanks.

Well, I'm not going to get into flying lessons but if you look up "adverse yaw" on the interwebs thingy you'll find what the rudder is for, and learn about how to make a coordinated turn without slipping or skidding.
AMA 76478

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 06:47:11 PM »
Well, I'm not going to get into flying lessons but if you look up "adverse yaw" on the interwebs thingy you'll find what the rudder is for, and learn about how to make a coordinated turn without slipping or skidding.
Thanks Chuck, adverse yaw, will do.
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here