News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:29:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flap positions?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline GWH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Flap positions?
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:17:40 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am thinking about:

Moving my "flaps" outboard to the wingtip area. This position would be the "standard" aileron area of a rc/normal aircraft.

There is no real reason for it. But to make something different per se.

My questions:

Would this cause rolls? ( Thinking the extended linkage: would torque: causing possible rolls)

What about wingtip/outboard area turbulance?

Thanks
Gary W Hines

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Flap positions?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »
My concern would be more about tip stalls, since the airflow tends to "spill" over the tips causeing vortexs at the tip, the higher angle of attack created by the flaps on the outboard sections IMHO would greatly increase the induced drag when manuevering. This would be counter to my desires.
Mark
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:52:29 AM »
I think tip stalls would be a major problem.  There is an OTS legal British airplane called the Meteor which has outboard flaps. 

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:06:06 PM »
That sounds interesting.  You might need a little more elevator because of the reduced downwash from the wing, but you might need less elevator because of reduced flap effectiveness.  You could use torque tubes like arrow shafts to reduce the springiness.  Let us know how it turns out. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:18:36 AM »
Interesting concept. My thoughts on flaps is that for C/L  their real purpose is to create additional lift when needed (hard corners). Ailerons are typically used for roll control and even though they increase lift at the wingtips they are not design to increase total lift . I would expect the lift increase to be much greater with full span flaps and also this configuration keeps the center of lift closer to the CG. It might be kind of tricky balancing the lifting moments given the lift/velocity gradient across the wingspan.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here