News:

• May 13, 2024, 07:32:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flap area vs. control ratio  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Flap area vs. control ratio
« on: August 07, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »
A friend has a Profile Cardinal, and I reminded him about Brett's suggestion to trim 1/2" to 5/8" off the TE of the flaps, to improve the corner. My friend replied and asked why he couldn't just reduce flap motion and get the same result.

Other than knowing that the wider chord on both moveable surfaces increases the control loads, reducing control responsiveness, I can't 'splain it further.  Would the negative pitching moment be reduced as the travel increases? What's the scoop?  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flap area vs. control ratio
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 05:09:29 PM »
A friend has a Profile Cardinal, and I reminded him about Brett's suggestion to trim 1/2" to 5/8" off the TE of the flaps, to improve the corner. My friend replied and asked why he couldn't just reduce flap motion and get the same result.

Other than knowing that the wider chord on both moveable surfaces increases the control loads, reducing control responsiveness, I can't 'splain it further.  Would the negative pitching moment be reduced as the travel increases? What's the scoop?  ??? Steve

Steve,

Here's a link to an online available copy of the Imitation article I wrote a couple of decades back.  It includes one of the first in depth discussions of stunt flap design and theory in the modeling press (Al Rabe published an interesting article as well on the subject although we in many ways came to opposite conclusions on them.  You might like to read the article (especially the last couple of pages where most of the flap discussion is found) and see if any of it shines any light on your question.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24098001/Imitation-Article

Hope this helps.  If not I'll add some specific comments when I don't have a deck table to paint for Shareen.

edited p.s.  Re Brett's suggestion.  It isn't a theoretical one.  We did exactly that to Paul Ferrell's Cardinal profile and it opened up a whole new vista of corner capability to the airplane.  Here's a couple of quick hints.  Flaps only need to be big enough or move far enough to produce the lift "required" to do the tricks plus a modest overage to protect against a stall during adverse conditions.  The higher the aspect ratio of the flaps (and elevators, by the way) themselves, the lower will be the control force necessary to deflect them to the necessary angle to achieve that "required" lift.

Ted

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
Flap hinge moment goes up with the square of flap chord.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »
Flap hinge moment goes up with the square of flap chord.

Howard,

Yes, that's valuable information.  Here's another way of getting a feel for it.  I once had an AquaCat catamaran that we sailed with our kids in the lagoons around our home.  It was a low performance version of the breed but still provided exciting sailing compared to most mono-hulls.  It  had a "retractable" rudder that, in normal running order was vertical to the direction of movement (a high aspect ratio, if you will).  It was maybe three feet long by six inches in "chord", an aspect ratio of ~six to one.  When retracted 90 degrees aft it was still in the water but the aspect ratio with respect to the direction of sail was now .08 to one, a very, very low aspect ratio.

When in the conventional configuration the rudder maneuvered the boat nimbly and with very modest "stick force".  It was easy to turn aggressively.

When retracted into the "low aspect ratio" configuration it took "massive" inputs to deflect and provided very "modest" changes of directions...if any at all.  It produced mostly drag, did little to changle direction, and required tons of "line tension" to displace for those measly gains.

As the chord of flaps/elevators increases (given the same span) the aspect ratio lowers and the force (line tension) necessary to deflect them increases rapidly.

Just another way of saying it increases as the square of the chord; but in a manner that a little visualization makes obvious.

Ted

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »
Ted,
When did your article come out and which magazine was it in?

Thanks,
Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »
Ted,
When did your article come out and which magazine was it in?

Thanks,
Roger

Never mind I found the article.
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 02:48:30 PM »
If the flap deflection on a profile Cardinal were reduced without cutting the flaps, and the linkage adjusted to give the same elevator deflection as the cut-flap version, what would be the difference(s) in flight characteristics between the cut and uncut versions.  (The mechanical practicality of doing this to a Cardinal control system is not part of the question--just the aerodynamics). Thanks.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »
If the flap deflection on a profile Cardinal were reduced without cutting the flaps, and the linkage adjusted to give the same elevator deflection as the cut-flap version, what would be the difference(s) in flight characteristics between the cut and uncut versions.  (The mechanical practicality of doing this to a Cardinal control system is not part of the question--just the aerodynamics). Thanks.

Kim,

The primary issue is the hinge loads of the wide chord flaps.  I'm not shrewd enough to figure how much the load increases with deflection.  The turn results should be similar if the resulting pitching moment is roughly equal to the narrower flap deflected more.  Other factors to consider would be the slightly increased aspect ratio which would result in less induced drag for a given amount of lift.

I think the bottom line with the profile Cardinal is that it goes together light enough that neither large chord or large deflections are necessary to provide the lift necessary for competitive performance.  I, frankly, don't recall whether we sped up the elevator either before or after trimming the flaps on Paul's airplane.  My suspicion is we did try it, however, as it would have been easily done at the field.  I know the trimming of the trailing edge happened later in the shop.  I know I'm pretty much a sample of one when it comes to moderating flap size and my "lift produced to lift required" dogman.  I did, however, experiment pretty convincingly with the Imitation that you don't need a ton of flap to get what benefits are available from them.

Try it and let us know.

Ted

p.s.  Brett, who forgets nothing, will probably remember what the process was working on Paul's flaps.

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »

Ted,
Yes, I thought your flap experiment described in the article was very clever and informative.  Experimentation is a lot of fun IMO, especially when the results turn on cartoon lightbulbs over my head.  I have tried to stall the Imitation by banging the corners of the triangles hard, and it has plowed through very nicely even at a fairly porky 60 oz.  I am currently on crutches with a pinched nerve in the back, but when and if I am able to fly again, the next thing will be to add a wart to the outboard flap to damp the roll in maneuvers, which has been a problem with most every plane I've flown. 

Another ongoing problem is level-flight stability.  I have found the point in control sensitivity adjustment where total groove is achieved on the Imitation.  It happens to be right at the point where required handle input for good performance becomes excessive, i.e. controls not sensitive enough.  I have been curious about the "bit of slop" theory of groove achievement, so had a friend machine a custom link with a bit of slop.  Interestingly, that helped but it also produced a flat spot not at the intersection of the horizontal eights where the controls obviously switch direction, but 1/4 loop later at the top of the second inside loop of the H8s.  Interesting.  If any slop is tolerable, it ain't much.  Then I read Randy's post about a bit of added drag at the far aft end of the plane helping groove.  He had good results with a 3/8" wide strip (a "drag strip" you might call it) attached to the TE of the rudder of the plane he was flying, which had a vertical TE.  Never in a million years would that idea have occurred to me.  Since the Imitation doesn't have a vertical rudder TE, some other vertical drag device test arrangement will present itself.  Wing turbulators at 10% of MAC may be another area of experimentation.  I suspect that the pilot's neurological limitations are also a factor which are probably beyond correction.  The Imitation is a wonderful, stable platform for boys who like to play science project.

Thanks for reading. 
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:57:12 PM »
Ted,
Yes, I thought your flap experiment described in the article was very clever and informative.  Experimentation is a lot of fun IMO, especially when the results turn on cartoon lightbulbs over my head.  I have tried to stall the Imitation by banging the corners of the triangles hard, and it has plowed through very nicely even at a fairly porky 60 oz.  I am currently on crutches with a pinched nerve in the back, but when and if I am able to fly again, the next thing will be to add a wart to the outboard flap to damp the roll in maneuvers, which has been a problem with most every plane I've flown. 

Another ongoing problem is level-flight stability.  I have found the point in control sensitivity adjustment where total groove is achieved on the Imitation.  It happens to be right at the point where required handle input for good performance becomes excessive, i.e. controls not sensitive enough.  I have been curious about the "bit of slop" theory of groove achievement, so had a friend machine a custom link with a bit of slop.  Interestingly, that helped but it also produced a flat spot not at the intersection of the horizontal eights where the controls obviously switch direction, but 1/4 loop later at the top of the second inside loop of the H8s.  Interesting.  If any slop is tolerable, it ain't much.  Then I read Randy's post about a bit of added drag at the far aft end of the plane helping groove.  He had good results with a 3/8" wide strip (a "drag strip" you might call it) attached to the TE of the rudder of the plane he was flying, which had a vertical TE.  Never in a million years would that idea have occurred to me.  Since the Imitation doesn't have a vertical rudder TE, some other vertical drag device test arrangement will present itself.  Wing turbulators at 10% of MAC may be another area of experimentation.  I suspect that the pilot's neurological limitations are also a factor which are probably beyond correction.  The Imitation is a wonderful, stable platform for boys who like to play science project.

Thanks for reading. 

Kim,

I expect that most hunting problems are related to misalignment.  I'm a pretty "spiffy" builder but, if I've got a big weakness, it's probably not being as critical of aerodynamic surfaces and general alignment as they need to be.  I've also done some pretty decent tricks over the years but inverted flight has seldom been one of them.  My original Imitation, even with its very thick stab (~one inch thick and airfoiled) seemed to have been one of only a few personal exceptions..the last being the short lived Special Edition.  Really critical builders like Brett seem to have airplanes that just sit in level flight upright or inverted.  I hate them.

Randy's suggestion of purposeful drag in the rear end has merit.  Anything back there moves the neutral point aft and makes the ship less prone to wander.  An easy test would be to tie a combat streamer onto the back end and see what happens to level flight.  If it smooths it out you can then cut down the length of the streamer until evidence of the hunt returns to get an idea of how much more aft end stuff will be necessary if that is, in fact, the cure for what ails a given airplane.  You'll probably experience a notable reduction in maneuver response with a full eight foot (or whatever the standard is) streamer as surface area aft of the CG increases the static margin between the CG and the Neutral point.  I used to notice quite a difference in the apparent "stability" of combat ships between the start of a match with the full streamer and the dreaded end of the match when the whole thing was snipped off by the "other" guy.

By the way, I think we may have blunted the leading edge of Paul's Cardinal as well.  The one we diddled with was an ARF and, IIRC, had the ubiquitous sharp leading edge common to so many of the breed.  Sharp leading edges can do more to harm the cornering potential of an otherwise sound stunt ship than higher than optimum wing loading.

Sorry, meandering typing fingers.

Ted

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here