News:

• May 13, 2024, 11:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Elevator to stabilizer ratio  (Read 2229 times)

Jim Roselle

• Trade Count: (0)
Elevator to stabilizer ratio
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
New to the forum, lots of great information here!  My question is in regards to the elevator. I gather from other post that the stab/elevator should be 20-25% of the wing area. What percentage of the stab/elevator assembly should the elevator be?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Elevator to stabilizer ratio
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
New to the forum, lots of great information here!  My question is in regards to the elevator. I gather from other post that the stab/elevator should be 20-25% of the wing area. What percentage of the stab/elevator assembly should the elevator be?

The total area of the stab/elevator needs to be bigger than 20% in most cases, at least by current standards.

The ratio of elevator is (like everything else) a debatable point. I use ~65/35 stab/elevator and most everyone is in the range of 55/45 to 65/35. I also strongly recommend a low aspect ratio 3.5:1 to 4.5:1 with a relatively thin airfoil.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:05:04 AM »
New to the forum, lots of great information here!  My question is in regards to the elevator. I gather from other post that the stab/elevator should be 20-25% of the wing area. What percentage of the stab/elevator assembly should the elevator be?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

HI Jim

The Katana and Exel I have flown for the past 14 years have been  25% of the wing area, and are 4.24 A/R , it is close to the 55% 45% stab to elevator
My piped SV-11 is close to the same
This works very well for me. Others mileage may vary.
I also flew a High A/R tail on my VECTRA with good results
I will tell you it is much easier to built a stiffer Stab and Elev with a lower A?R

Regards
Randy

Jim Roselle

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Jim

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »
Seems to work better if the LE of the stab is pointy instead of blunt also

Randy

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »
I have seen some stab/elevator designs where the stab was 1/2" and the elevator 3/8".  Or, perhaps 3/8" and 1/4".  Anyway, there seems to be some aerodynamic reason to make the stab thicker than the elevator.  Or is it just for strength?
Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
I have seen some stab/elevator designs where the stab was 1/2" and the elevator 3/8".  Or, perhaps 3/8" and 1/4".  Anyway, there seems to be some aerodynamic reason to make the stab thicker than the elevator.  Or is it just for strength?
Floyd

No, the theory is to "desensitze it around neutral". The theory is that you "block" the relative wind so that the elevator can move a little before anything happens. At Mach 10, it might actually do that, what it does at 60 mph is unclear, aside from making the elevator run in turbulence all the time.

Mine is exactly conformal to the stab (made in one piece and then cut apart) and has all the corners rounded to minimize the turbulence. I think you don't want it to desensitize it around neutral and I doubt that making the stab thicker actually accomplishes that.   

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »
Well, that's good news.  I usually build stab and elevator using all the same thickness balsa.  Normally all built-up from 3/8" stock.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here