News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Effects of one design on another  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Effects of one design on another
« on: February 18, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »
What got me thinking about what designs had effects on other designs is that there are several design similaities between John Peck's Barracuda and Bob Gialdini's Sting Ray design.  Other than the Nobler having influenced the design of hundreds of airplanes, I wounder did Bob see this airplane before he designed the Sting Ray?  The Barracuda was published in March '63 so, it would be possible.

Jim Pollock   #^

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
Re: Effects of one design on another
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:36:16 PM »
What other early designs do you suppose had an effect on other designs?  Talon - slight effect on the original Novi?  ???

Jim Pollock  :! 

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 01:00:09 PM »
Hi Jim,

Yea, I think all these guys saw each other at the Nats every year. They didn't have the internet in those days and limited communications. So they saw what other guys were doing at contests and at the Nats. There'd have to be a lot of cross pollination. Particularly with ships that were within close time proximity. The Talon and Novi and Mirage and other's have a lot of traits in common. Some of the pictures the Shultzie posted from Nats of the period were interesting. Shots of flightlines with a bunch of similar planes. A Nobler "type", a Stingray "type", a Jet "type", etc. It's pretty easy to see the similarities.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 05:53:12 PM »
Well, we know that at least from an aesthetic standpoint, the USA-1 was based on Jerry Worth's Apterix (or NASA-1), although the aerodynamics were different.

Junhani Kari's "NAKKE" is based on the Veco T-Birds that Juhani flew before it.

Louis Grondal's "AMA Special" was built from a Green Box Nobler kit.

The fact that there were definite styling "trends" makes it plausible that as one design became popular, more people put there own twist to it.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 01:19:37 AM »
What got me thinking about what designs had effects on other designs is that there are several design similaities between John Peck's Barracuda and Bob Gialdini's Sting Ray design.  Other than the Nobler having influenced the design of hundreds of airplanes, I wounder did Bob see this airplane before he designed the Sting Ray?  The Barracuda was published in March '63 so, it would be possible.

Jim Pollock   #^

In his Olimpic artical he states Olimpic one was built AS a modified Nobler,

an inch on the nose, straight top to rear deck, and twin rudders,
 TreverOID wheel pants because he liked how they looked.                          M.S.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 06:00:29 AM »
Matt,

I wasn't talking about the Olympic, I know it's a modified Nobler.  The Sting Ray on the other hand has an elevated elevator built on a raised fuselage extension.  So does the Barracuda, which preceded the Sting Ray by two or three years.

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »
With the Stingray, it's an optical illusion. If you look at the plans, the stab centerline, thrustline and wing centerline are pretty conventional. The aerodynamic layout is not at all out of the norm for the time. The construction of the fuselage makes it look like the stab is high in the rudder, but it's only the structure design. Same with Shultzie's Avenger.

AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 07:09:56 PM »
There are styles that come and go...

Jim Kostecky wrote a funny, and I mean gut-busting funny if you're in the right mood, article -possibly for the TALON, iir. He aimed the model's appearance, markings and finish at the US Navy "volunteers" who were trained to judge at Navy Nats, 'back in the day'.

Model was of sharp, jet-style, forward cockpit, wing-root airscoops, swept-back fin appearance in shapes. Markings and finish were to echo the grand traditions and current first-line fighters of the USN. Buttering up the judges, right?

W-e-e-e-l-l, not quite. Find a copy of the article and read it.

The Navy Nats era, when many Nats were at Navy Air stations, for public relationships and recruiting enhancement reasons, may have pushed the jet-style look. Of course, state-of-the (at that time)-art stunters should look like state-of-the-art high performance people carrying aircraft, no? (We were still, as a nation, pretty "air-minded." Airplanes were not just noisy things that bother us in our new houses developed right up to the fences of airports...)

There was a tribute to Kostecky and Dave Gierke at the VSC this year. The original NOVI III was there. Sadly, its tissue covered I-Beam wing was in tatters. Shrinkage, over the years. The fuse and tail were somewhat yellowed with age, but still stunning in finish and detail.

John Miller and Gordan (that's not a mispelling!) Delaney had Gierke ALL-AMERICAN EAGLEs, newly built for the season. Tom McClain had the original Jim Kostecky PATRIOT, somewhat the worse for the years a friend had stored it, but still a knockout! Alan Brickhaus has mentioned his current Gialdini RAYETTE project in his FM column - it was there, too. These models were all parked together in the grass strip between the flight pits and the spectator tape-line, and the family - or perhaps 'style of the times' - resemblance among them was really apparent! Tom McC took a commemorative flight on the PATRIOT for the benefit of those who had never seen it in the air... - didn't stress it, of course! Any one of us would hold back, lest we destroy an important historic artefact, right?

Kostecky, Gialdini, Gierke... legendary names in our arena... subtle differences in shapes among the models, but still kin. There have been other paradigm shifters, too. The Big Jim/NJ era, powered by OS35S, ST46 and ST60, also resulted in many (to be cruel:) look-alike or (to be more accurate:) similar models which followed a similar approach in proportion, in sheeted foam wings, in general 'presentation.' It worked. Judges saw models "like that" fly REALLY well, so others built models in that mode to tinker with judges' preferences - or so they thought. (It STILL took a Hunt, Lampione, Shaeffer, Casale, Simons, etc., etc. to fly the things so well.) And the larger engines first reappeared from Lexington, KY: Lew McFarland's SHARK/K&B Greenhead 45...

Even today there is a great similarity among modern designs; in fin shape, planform, checkerboard trims, etc. Or, for another example, the Russians and their odd looking, high and short canopies... Like clothing, styles come and go. For our stunters, with our nostalgic events, we can - in effect - go around in bias-knit bell bottoms for this event, in high and tight haircuts and fedoras for that one. And it is all in fun!

They may all be developed NOBLERs, but, hey, if it works, use it!
\BEST\LOU

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 08:40:31 PM »
Lou,

Very good points. Around here there are many Impacts and Impact look-alikes (or fly-alikes). Stands to reason, I guess. It's a very successful design. It's not uncommon to go back in time to steal, uh, that is, imitate aesthetics or certain design elements. I mean, there are only so many ways to configure a plane. The devil is, in fact, in the details.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »
Well there are some pretty good reasons for not going too far out of the box. #^  Like Lou said, "trends come and go" but in my opinion the basic outlines remain close to the same.

There are a few people that will push the outside of the design envelope trying something new.  Some having some degree of success and other times, complete failures.  Ask me how I know this HB~>.  A competitive flyer must weigh the amount of time it takes to develop a totally new concept against the time that is required to maintain the competitive edge.  That's the reason many people go with a proven design and make cosmetic changes for a different look.

Later

Mikey       

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 12:18:55 PM »
Great posts all, As my aero professor used to say, "airplanes look like they do for some VERY good reasons".  I think Dave Thornburg of sailplane fame summed it up even better, "Wing is design, everything else is mostly cosmetics".

That is all an intro to a RANT about the state of the art of CLPA, or lack of same!  S?P

Everybody pretty much copies from what they like, and restyles.  There is no incentive to be different, to go out on a limb.  That's not news and not necessarily a bad thing, except there is also NO advancement unless SOMEONE tries something different.  But where's the incentive to ADVANCE?

Looking around, it seems like CLPA design is in a dark age.  NOTHING important is happening from a design standpoint.  There are new structures (lost foam, moneycote finishes, some experimenting with moldies), power (big motors, piped motors, big motors with pipes, and of course BIGGER motors).  Good things are happening in control systems, hinges and other hardware. that's nice - but so what, that's all stuff you can find on my 1980's vintage Eclipses, and others were doing it better than me earlier than I did it - I copied too.

Now let me sink my teeth into it and to really get to the point: my "newest" Eclipse is now 24 years old, it bothers me that it is still contemporary (and still in some features still ADVANCED) versus today's birds.   All it really is missing is an electric powerplant to make it completely modern.

Ten years from now I think we will all be flying electrics (the current trend with most potential staying power), and using the motors in Classic era planes we build ourselves or "modern" ARF's - nothing from current era is going to make us wax nostalgic.  Why try anything different?

Does anyone else see things this way - I must be missing something?  If you think its "broke" any ideas on how to fix it?   I have only a couple meager ideas, but that's another rant...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:56:21 PM »
Great posts all, As my aero professor used to say, "airplanes look like they do for some VERY good reasons".  I think Dave Thornburg of sailplane fame summed it up even better, "Wing is design, everything else is mostly cosmetics".

That is all an intro to a RANT about the state of the art of CLPA, or lack of same!  S?P

Everybody pretty much copies from what they like, and restyles.  There is no incentive to be different, to go out on a limb.  That's not news and not necessarily a bad thing, except there is also NO advancement unless SOMEONE tries something different.  But where's the incentive to ADVANCE?

Havnt you blokes heard of the secret development laboratory in NEWZEALAND.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 10:14:24 PM »
You are about to see rapid change.  Lots of folks will soon look back at 2006 as the good old days.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »
With the Stingray, it's an optical illusion. If you look at the plans, the stab centerline, thrustline and wing centerline are pretty conventional. The aerodynamic layout is not at all out of the norm for the time. The construction of the fuselage makes it look like the stab is high in the rudder, but it's only the structure design. Same with Shultzie's Avenger.

For clarity...take a look?
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 03:10:24 PM »
Howard,

Yea, I saw last weekend. For those that have the cash, there will be a lot of change soon.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
One interesting thing is that you can now have any mass distribution you want. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here