News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:37:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale Down?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scale Down?
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:52:28 PM »
Hmmm,

Scaling down a large plane to an FP 20 size?  How do most do it?  Take the original plans to a commercial copier and scale them down so it looks about right for an FP .20?

Oh, what do I want to scale "down"  Well, the Skyscraper to FP .20 size....

Jim Pollock   n~

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Scale Down?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »
This is a question I have been meaning to ask as well and also when scaling down, does the airfoil scale down directly or does it need to be modified.  There are some truely beautiful ships that are just too large for me.  I like them in the 48' and under range.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
It's a pretty complicated issue.

Historically, just about every "big" model has been scaled down to fit the smaller engines: Nobler, Flite Streak, Ringmaster, Chief, etc, etc.

In airplanes, bigger is better.  That's why the winning stunters are huge and Boeing and Airbus are making mega-planes.  So your 20-size model won't fly as well as its big prototype.

But fear not.  Modeling is about spearminting and being the master of your own project.  So go ahead and shrink down your favorite big model.  I might suggest enlarging the tailplane somewhat bigger than the "true scale".  It has to do with the Reynolds Number, but I'm not permitted to discuss that in public.
Paul Smith

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »
There are at least 2 ways to scale a drawing.

The first is to scale by linear dimension. As an example, lets use wingspan for our measurement.

Divide the measurement you want, by the measurment you have.  A design that has a 60 inch wingspan, and you want a 48 inch wingspan. Your scale factotr is 80%, 48 diveded by 60 = 0.80.

The second method is to use the sq. inches as your scale factor. A design that has 650 sq inches, and you want 500 for your .20 power, as an example.

500 divided by 650 = .77, but since these are sqared numbers, you must take the sq root of .77 which would . about .88 rounded off. As you can see, it's important to get the square root when dealing with wing areas. Please don't ask me how I know this.... HB~> HB~> HB~>
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »
I have taken the plans for the Arctic Fox and scaled them to a 19 and 25 size airplane. If you go to a print shop that has a scaleing wheel. it will tell you exactley what size everything will be. From there you will have to decide what size wood you will use because when you rescale somethin the wood sizes will not coincide with what building materials are available. After you decide what the size is you want to scale it at take it to a copy house and have them copy it at that scale. It' pretty simple and it works because my Little arctic fox will do the pattern with ease. H^^
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:57:40 PM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:47:40 AM »
Hmmm,

Scaling down a large plane to an FP 20 size?  How do most do it?  Take the original plans to a commercial copier and scale them down so it looks about right for an FP .20?

Oh, what do I want to scale "down"  Well, the Skyscraper to FP .20 size....

Jim Pollock   n~

Hi Jim,

Did you ever get it sized down?  And will you use the dihedral?

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 03:28:27 PM »
Jim and Bill,

This topic slept a long while!

I'm also curious how the project stands now, Jim. Wassup?

A thought I didn't see in the above posts: Scale the larger model to a wing area proven useful for a 20FP. Some fudging needed: A SkyRay or FliteStreak on a BBTU 20FP may not be the closest thing to compare with a more elaborate design like the Skyscraper...

John Miller gives the good approaches to figuring how to scale areas. Worked through as an example: If the original design had 600 sq in, and you figure a 20FP can handle 360 sq, you are reducing area to 60% of original. As John points out, the dimensions need to be scaled to the square root of that: about 77.5% of original length, span, etc. As several have mentioned, many copy shops have enlarging/reducing copiers. For this imaginary example, you would find one and pull a copy with length (linear) dimensions reduced to 77.5% of the original.

Figure your target weight to suit your target wing area.

Hope you've already got your teeth into this...

\BEST\LOU

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 05:48:35 PM »
Hi Lou,

I had been wondering if Jim had done anything with the mini Skyscraper.  As to wing area of a model for the OS 20FP, I think it could be a bit larger than 360sq in ( I know that was just a hypothetical number) when using a built up fuselage, etc..  I know John Miller has a plane for the OS 15FP/LA that has *variable* wing area, going from 380 to 400 to 420 and that is .15 FP size, so the .20FP *should* be able to pull a bit more.  A Dolphin would be a good candidate I think.  It is closer to 500 sq. in. I think.  ???  Anyway, I have always heard that people in WAM would use them, and similar planes to fly in "A" Stunt.  A Veco Lil' T-Bird would be good, but smaller, I think.

I *believe* the 20FP could handle a 450 sq. in.-475 sq, in. stunter if built light, using appropriate size lumber for a .20 plane.

I would like to see the numbers for a Skyscraper reduced to 48" WS from the original 60".  I am not well versed in figuring stuff like that. ;D  There are several planes I would be interested in seeing that are reduced for the 20 FP.  Including a USA-1! LL~

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 01:23:01 PM »
Pat Johnston does this. He is able to scale pretty much any drawing he does to whatever size needed. And maintain the wood dimensions, too. Pretty cool watching Danny Dirt flying a scaled down Impact with FP20 on a pipe.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »
Hi Randy,

yep, Pat does scale down plans!  I have two sets of plans for his F-4 Wildcat he designed for the ST 60 (Bill Hummel).  He did ".51" and ".40 size" plans for me.  He also cut me ribs for he .40 size.

Pat is so busy with the BOTR members doing projects, he has a *time* problem! LL~ LL~  But, that's ok!

A friend just scaled down a set of I-Beam Classic design plans for me.  I hope to have them soon! ;D  A fun project, especially since I have never even seen the original built in person (or even in the last 45 years!) LL~

I still need to build my RM 207 (which Pat originally designed on my prodding), and RM 576 (water jet cut short kit!)!

Like some one here says, "Too many planes, not enough time!"

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »
Hi Bill,

When I used to fly class "A" Stunt back in 1961 I used a 622 Sq in Pegasus that weighed 31 Ounces.
Only trouble is, WAM hadn't changed to the Aldrich AMA pattern yet, they just used the older in-between
pattern.  I think the Dolphin build lightly would be about right for an FP .20 these days.

Jim Pollock

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »
Hi Bill,

When I used to fly class "A" Stunt back in 1961 I used a 622 Sq in Pegasus that weighed 31 Ounces.
Only trouble is, WAM hadn't changed to the Aldrich AMA pattern yet, they just used the older in-between
pattern.  I think the Dolphin build lightly would be about right for an FP .20 these days.

Jim Pollock

Hey, Jim!

Any work on downsizing the Skyscraper?  It would be killer looking. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here