News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Designing a Pure electric stunt ship  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Designing a Pure electric stunt ship
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:46 AM »
Guys,
Since this is the design forum I thought we could start a thread for pure electric stunt ship design. The hope is to discuss what elements of design/layout/numbers would be used for pure electric not just a convert of a IC powered ship.

To this end my thoughts start with thrust line layout. In an IC powered ship with conventional counter clockwise engine rotation the standard layout is inverted cowled engine above the wing centerline more or less in-line with the stab/elevator (likely because we use the fuse side line as alignment for the mounts and stab). This helps distribute the motor/muffler (or pipe) weight across the depth of the fuse and keeps the vertical CG somewhat close the the wing centerline. With this setup there is a natural tendency for the prop wash to push the tail down. Many use a slight bit of positive incidence in the stab to counter this, the high thrust line of the engine applies a nose down pitching moment that also helps.

In E stunt the motor is round and therefore doesn't distribute it's weight over much depth the battery is also low profile and does the same. It allows an in-line thrust setup from a vertical CG. To offset the weight of the gear/wheels the battery can be moved up. If you use a tractor (CC rotation) prop the same slight bit of positive stab incidence could be useful, if you use a pusher (clockwise rotation of the prop) then a slight negative incidents would be needed.

I think the current moment numbers and component % (stab, elevator, rudder) should work but since electrics have less weight at the motor end maybe other proportions would work? What do you think.

Best,               DennisT

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Designing a Pure electric stunt ship
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Good questions, I think.  It's difficult to give up our old ways of thinking.  Prop-ground clearance does favor a high-mounted motor.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
Re: Designing a Pure electric stunt ship
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:30:25 PM »
A barrel nose fuse and fuse mounted gear will help them from looking storky as well as accentuate the center line design.

John S.

Advertise Here
Tags: Electric  design 

Advertise Here