News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:08:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FLYING STABS AND STABALATORS...REVISITED? :)  (Read 17622 times)

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: FLYING STABS AND STABALATORS...REVISITED? :)
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
Brett
That is why you have to static balance it.
The flap has nothing to do with it.

Minisota
I did not know combat planes were sensitive, unless something is amiss.
Quick but not sensitive.
You should be able to fly the fuel out with your eyes closed.
Need to have them open during launch and landing when line tension is low.
The hing at the LE was quick and easy.

Static Balance will also cure or at least help reduce flutter.
If you hear a buzz with a leaned out setting it is probably flutter even on conventional setup.
This can be fixed with a control horn mounted at hinge line and attaching a wire to horn that extends some distance (1in?) ahead of hinge line and adding weight to forward end of wire until surface balances slightly nose heavy at the hing line.
Flutter is destructive.

David
David Roland

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2009, 08:22:27 PM »
I suppose "quick" is the more descriptive word. To me that relates more to airspeed; "sensitive" to me doesn't mean "unstable", but that it will jump with minimal control input. My combat wings would fly "eyes-off" of course, by feel, and go where you pointed them--right now.

I experimented with counterbalanced tails (hinged behind the LE), as did many others, and concluded there was no advantage, for me anyway.  Perhaps there would be for stunt ships, I don't know.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »
I suppose "quick" is the more descriptive word. To me that relates more to airspeed; "sensitive" to me doesn't mean "unstable", but that it will jump with minimal control input. My combat wings would fly "eyes-off" of course, by feel, and go where you pointed them--right now.

I experimented with counterbalanced tails (hinged behind the LE), as did many others, and concluded there was no advantage, for me anyway.  Perhaps there would be for stunt ships, I don't know.

Hi Ray
I did set my controls up where allot of hand movement was required and did not limit the controls with stops.
Never know when that extra speed killing turning radius might be needed!
The balanced surface kept the drag down with less total movement required.
I used Hot rock small handle and 1-1 1/2 tall control horns set up so that several inches of line movement would give something like 1/4 inch at the elevator.Just ball park guess on these linkage ratios--been a long time--34 years! ~^

On stunt planes with the higher polar moment of inertia (bar bell effect?)I would think that the flying stab would be an advantage.
With more power to start and stop rotation and less drag to reduce slowing in the corners.
only experiments and development will  tell. HB~>

I am just now getting into stunt for the first time and will probably wind up designing something in next few years
And being a guy that tries wild wacky stuff the flying tail will probably get included somewhere along the way.

Now to go see how cantankerous this Fox .35 in the Smoothie wants to be!

David
David Roland

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 10:21:10 PM »

That is why you have to static balance it.
The flap has nothing to do with it.

Right - the usual concept in stunt has been to pivot it behind the CP so it provides "power steering" - but that doesn't work.

25% or forward is required to ensure the stab is stable on it's own, barring some stabilization mechanism.

Brett

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »
Brett
My limited knowing of things---

Depends on the center of pressure of the stabilizer airfoil.
25 % or forward would be a good starting place that's for sure.
If it was me I would probably start at 20% with any, even a selected airfoil because there is no way I am going to do the Reynolds number math!
Picking an airfoil that the Center of pressure moves the least is a good starting place also.

Playing with different nose heavy settings might help also.
To much may make it pull to the inside of turn. Just shy of that point might be a good setting?
The C/P may even counter this as the C/P moves back with added angle of attack.
I may have the last backwards on the movement /angle) can look if you need.

Just my opinion from playing with toys! (the jumping smiley face thing goes here when its not broken)

David
David Roland

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2009, 02:26:21 AM »
David,

I believe I have a post or two way earlier in this thread about some of my direct experience with stabilators. Many of the observations along the length of this thing match up with what I found.

Brett has it right - as is to be expected - max aft around 25% mean aero chord. Better, as you suggest, around 20% or a bit further forward a bit from there. I mentioned 'gallop' with a "tailheavy" stabilator surface, I believe. DO static balance a stabi at a 20% hingeline, or wherever the hinge goes, and a bit noseheavy at that point.

Long elev horn radii help, but do not cure a basic negative: without a fixed stab, YOU hold the model to its path, every instant and all the way.

An interesting "balance" or compromise problem involves stabilator area. If anywhere near the tail area of a stab+elev model, it will be hard to restrain motion in a way that prevents overcontrol. If only of enough area to do everything you need in calm air conditions, tail power may not be enough to make a high-g recovery like inthe bottom turns in the Triangles, Hourglass or even the Vert 8. There, you can too easily "dirt-track" right into the ground.

There are easier ways to fly CLPA....

\BEST\LOU

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
Brett
My limited knowing of things---

Depends on the center of pressure of the stabilizer airfoil.
25 % or forward would be a good starting place that's for sure.
If it was me I would probably start at 20% with any, even a selected airfoil because there is no way I am going to do the Reynolds number math!
Picking an airfoil that the Center of pressure moves the least is a good starting place also.

Exactly right - but if you look at almost any conventional airfoil, the CP is very close to 25%. So I don't think we are disagreeing.

Brett

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »
This is one amazing piece of art with what appears to be a flying stab. Nice photo....but take a close look at this stab
Don Shultz

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »
David,

Long elev horn radii help, but do not cure a basic negative: without a fixed stab, YOU hold the model to its path, every instant and all the way.

An interesting "balance" or compromise problem involves stabilator area. If anywhere near the tail area of a stab+elev model, it will be hard to restrain motion in a way that prevents overcontrol. If only of enough area to do everything you need in calm air conditions, tail power may not be enough to make a high-g recovery like inthe bottom turns in the Triangles, Hourglass or even the Vert 8. There, you can too easily "dirt-track" right into the ground.

There are easier ways to fly CLPA....

Not quite true, Lou.  The area of the surface, whether it is a stab/elevator or stabilator, is what contributes the stability.  If you wiggle your hand, the plane will wiggle, whether is has a stab/elevator or stabilator.

Whether you use a stab/elevator or stabilator, the force on the pushrod is determined by the position of the stab hinge line or the stabilator hinge line, relative to the chord.  Wild Bill's articles detail the calculation.  You can set the pushrod force using the same graph for both configurations.  On a stabilator setup I just used the % ahead of the hinge to offset a similar percentage behind the hinge and it worked out fine.  If the plane doesn't turn as well when it speeds up you've run into the Netzeband wall.  You have to use a larger bellcrank and horns to reduce the pushrod forces until you always can generate more than enough force to move the surface.  Or move the balance point back so less force is needed(which can make the plane twitchy).  A combat style stabilator, hinged at the front, is very sensitive to speed and balance point.  Moving the hinge back to 15-20% of chord is much easier to manage.

The biggest advantage of a stabilator is that, if you have the correct hinge position and control geometry, you can adjust the sensitivity for a wider range of CG positions.  The stab/elevator can run out of oomph if it is too small, to the point where you may not be able to get both stabilty and turns.  The newer 25%+stabs don't have that problem.

The biggest problem with a stabilator on a bigger plane is, as Brett pointed out, it's hard to build a strong, light, tight bearing setup when the plane gets much over 48 in.   And a sloppy hinge will give less precise flying, obviously.
phil Cartier

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2009, 07:07:47 PM »
My BarnDoor kit uses a stabilator.  Flat plate wing; .049 power.  Flies pretty well.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
Not quite true, Lou.  The area of the surface, whether it is a stab/elevator or stabilator, is what contributes the stability.  If you wiggle your hand, the plane will wiggle, whether is has a stab/elevator or stabilator.

Whether you use a stab/elevator or stabilator, the force on the pushrod is determined by the position of the stab hinge line or the stabilator hinge line, relative to the chord.  Wild Bill's articles detail the calculation.  

The same point I was trying to make above, although mine was not as clear. The area has to be the same for stability reasons. If it's too sensitive, cut down on the throw. That was the mistake most people made early on - moving the whole thing instead of half makes it about 3x as effective, or conversely, you get the same rotation rate/torque from ~1/3 the deflection.

The airplane at the top of this thread, as I recall the sequence, originally had the elevator at 1:1 and pivoted around the 50% point (which is about what it shows there). That didn't work too well, for all the reasons delineated in this thread. Eventually, it got extensions on the TE of the elevator to move the CP to the pivot, and the throw cut in about half, and then it flew pretty well, at least as good as it would have with a conventional tail.

I saw it fly in about 1999-2000 at the WAM El Cerrito Flying Dons "Eat Chili and Fly day", by David W. "Bill" Fitzgerald himself, and it flew just fine. May have been Bill's last model airplane flight.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
While surfing through some old slides...this "G-GOBBLER" with the flying stab...keeps boggling my britches...ever since seeing Lynn Howard Dooty socked it to us by winning the first Tacoma Mall contest here in the NW 40 years ago with a flying "stab-a-lator"

Here is a shot taken at the nats...about that same time...showing a Geiske Nobler utilizing the same set up.  As I remember...I too was quite impressed with this models  sharp corners and turning radius.
However, every time this subject of FLYING STABS comes around...Most flyers discount and blow off any advantage that could possibly be an advantage to CLPA.
One advantage after seeing Lynn's model fly....was that he could VIRTUALLY SWAP ENDS...with that stunter of his...expecially when finding himself needing that extra turning punch during those heart stopping "OOOPS...TOO LOW PULL OUTTAVA' REVERSE WING OVER...ETC? LL~ LL~
GIFTED CLPA-DESIGNER GRUNTS?

ANY IDEAS OR FURTHER THOUGHTS or JABS...ABOUT FLYIN STABS?

BTW, everybody might wonder where all these flying-stab stunters came from in the 73-74 time frame. I thought I remembered this from my childhood- and just found confirmation. The very first model magazine of any type I had saw was an American Aircraft Modeler in about 1973. In it was a construction article for a pattern plane by Bob Violett called the "Shrike" that went on at some length on the advantages. Apparently a lot of people took it to heart and built stunters that way. Even my Uncle Donny had one - a Mustunt II with a flying stab and an OS35s. Here's a picture (girl not included):

Brett

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »
Note:

If I ever build an electric plane it will have a flying stab, not sure but could have a forward canard too?  Ouch, I think I would have to reinforce the wing center section.  I could see it pulling 25+ G's.

Jim Pollock

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2009, 07:18:43 PM »
Note:

If I ever build an electric plane it will have a flying stab, not sure but could have a forward canard too?  Ouch, I think I would have to reinforce the wing center section.  I could see it pulling 25+ G's.

I am not sure I follow the line of reasoning. Why do you think it would turn any tighter (or more importantly. you could turn it any tighter) than you do now? You still won't have the necessary lift.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2009, 10:02:03 AM »
Note:

Jim Pollock

Maybe instead of a canard you could put leading edge slats on the wing for more lift to complete that scary fast turn.  Either that, or I wonder if chines (ala F-18, etc) would add lift for the very high aoa maneuvers the tail would drive the wing to.....
Steve

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
Well,

I was thinking that since there will be immense turning power generated between the two devices forward canard and stabalator (sp) then I could either increase Flap area and/or percentage of flap throw to the stabalator's.
I think there's lots of room for trying things out.....kinda like Al Rabe did with his simi-scale wings to generate more lift!

Jim Pollock, thinking out loud again.......  LL~

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
This is one amazing piece of art with what appears to be a flying stab. Nice photo....but take a close look at this stab

Looks like pivot(hing) line is around 25-30%?

Who's and what is it?
David Roland

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »
Hello David,
No, nothing farther back than 25% of the mean aerodynamic chord. At 25% there will be no contribution to the "feel" of the airplane so you will actually want to move farther forward than 25%. How much? That argument has been raging in this forum for some time now. I wouldn't go any farthe forward than 20% and I would probably stick with 22 or 23.
best regards,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2009, 12:25:25 AM »
David,

Appreciate your comments, and as a practical - not just theoretical - approach, think you have it about nailed.

However, check several of the above posts for other considerations. My personal preference was to use the axiom that symmetrical sections have center of pressure at 25%, with no change at different AoA ( no moments about the cp ), which led me to hinge at 20% MAC. SOME, but not overpowering, return to 'trail' tendency. Ted F's comments are valuable. What I tried was to use the smallest total tail area sufficient for the needed 'turn.' That worked, for several - but not all - conditions. It made a model that went where it was aimed, but needed to be aimed there at all times. Fun, but tiring...

For modern CLPA demands, it is at least as important that a model LOCK into the exit direction, hard and instantaneously. All-flying stabilators are not good at that, particularly in severe wind conditions.

It IS theoretically less than the best to carry tail surface area that opposes the needed turn potential - EXCEPT when tracking out of a severe turn is just as important as achieving the needed, severe turn. All aerodynamic design is compromise: the stab+elevator solution is a win/win solution...
\BEST\LOU

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2009, 06:21:18 PM »
Hello David,
No, nothing farther back than 25% of the mean aerodynamic chord. At 25% there will be no contribution to the "feel" of the airplane so you will actually want to move farther forward than 25%. How much? That argument has been raging in this forum for some time now. I wouldn't go any farthe forward than 20% and I would probably stick with 22 or 23.
best regards,
Dean Pappas

Dig out
wild Bill's control-line articles.  He has all the info to calculate the control forces and match up the forces on a stabilator with a conventional tail.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here