News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:28:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustble Rudders  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Adjustble Rudders
« on: June 17, 2006, 10:13:03 PM »
 #^
Remember when we were kids and I build my Ringmaster. Man that thing had a minimum of 1 inch rudder offset maybe more. So far all my recent planes have had adjustable rudders and thats a good thing because after watching Brett trim a plane, the first thing he did was cut the rudder off and re-glue it close to straight. So I went back and adjusted my rudders close to straight and the planes flew better. So my real question is should I continue to make adjustable rudders or are we advanced enough or knowledgeable enough to be able to say that making an adjustable rudder is a waste of time. Just glue it on your Magnum almost straight and be done with it. Your thoughts please...

??????#^
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 03:06:33 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Adjustble Rudders
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 10:18:45 AM »
I have built a couple of airplanes with wing structure which made adjustable leadouts unpractical.  I made them with adjustable rudders and got them flying pretty good.  Doing an adjustable rudder as an experiment is a good thing just to be able to see what it does for you.  I think the ideal, which I've never done, is both adjustable leadouts and adjustable rudder.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 03:31:23 PM »
So my real question is should I continue to make adjustable rudders or are we advanced enough or knowledgeable enough to be able to say that making an adjustable rudder is a waste of time. Just glue it on your Magnum almost straight and be done with it. Your thoughts please...

If I was going to make something unadjustable, I would be more tempted to make the leadouts fixed, rather than the rudder. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I think the rudder is far more critical. Not so you can dial in more offset to get more line tension, but, to cover building errors and day-to-day variations in the models alignment. You'd be amazed how much the alignment changes from moment to moment through the day.

Brett

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 10:49:04 PM »
Thanks Jim, Thanks Brett
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 08:13:47 AM »
It is certainly NOT a trivial exercise to make and install an aerodynamically neutral fin/rudder.  Even if it LOOKS straight, it might not be....and there is always the offset prop wash vector that makes it impossible to pre-determine.

Why not?  its an easy thing to do.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here