News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chick-A- Boom, Chick-A- Boom Boom Boom!  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Chick-A- Boom, Chick-A- Boom Boom Boom!
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
Some projects you just put aside, and you actually can forget them for years, and years. I know I do.

Well, I am using a wing to an Ares I built in the 60's. Brought that out of dry dock, so, the wing, that's spoken for.

But what about the rest of the stuff?

That wing and my Ares, was to be a twin boom. My second twin boom actually, I did build a twin boom Ares and posted a photo of that, taken in 1962. Remember?

So, I'm thinking about this song today by Van Morrison called Chick-A-Boom.

I don't know why, but I'm attempting the lyrics as best I can. I have a hearing issue, so I sometimes make up my own words, drives friends crazy.

So I'm singing this thing,  Boom Chicka Boom Boom Boom. Boom Chicka Boom Boom Boom. OK, I'll stop at two.
So then I'm thinking, what a great name for a twin boom CL model!

Well, guess what? I have enough stuff hanging around to build the "Chick-A-Boom."

I have the two booms, I have the nose of the Ares, and a couple of rudders.

So I dug the stuff up, added a partially framed wing I built some years ago, and this is what I came up with!

Doesn't look like much now, but give me a couple of months.

If there's interest I'll kit it!!

I should have placed this photo in. My twin boom Ares, 1962. That's not me.

Charles
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:59:30 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Chick-A- Boom, Chick-A- Boom Boom Boom!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
Those rudders give it a look similar to Jack Sheek's La Donna, ;D

I suspect that the tiny piece you have in place of the elevator is not the actual part.  It needs a bit more elevator than that. ;D

Get 'er done!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
Bill,

I couldn't find anything on the Jack Sheek's La Donna model? I'd like to see it.

Jack Sheek is in the AMA Hall of Fame! I read his Bio.

FYI. The rudders are Ares, just a tad different.

The nose is Ares, needs a bit of work, but it has to be changed a bit anyway. Yes, that's not the elevator. just a prop for the photo.

The two booms I'm using as is. As you can see in the last photo, there's plenty of flap area.

That wing is just a Sig Banshee with modified and extended wingtips and added ribs.

My original, and a second BTW, had tri-gear. Not sure I want that here? Just a wheel not needed and extra weight.

Span is 57"

Not sure what will power it yet?

So, in all honesty, the photos are no setup for a joke. I wouldn't do that.

I'm building that model.

So, when I say, "If there's interest, I'll kit it," I meant it. The wing you get from Sig, I'll outline the changes.

Certainly doesn't look like much now, but it'll come together.

You'll see.

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »

I couldn't find anything on the Jack Sheek's La Donna model? I'd like to see it.

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=318902

Link says it all really, and note well the tiny elevator on the shown plans (Charles ain't that far off it really).
 Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »
That's interesting, the similarities.

Gotta remember, I designed my twin boom Ares in early 1961. I built the second one in early 1962. That photo, of my design, is dated front and back. I was 15 years old for the first model.

I never heard of Jack Sheek till this Thread or his model.

I do like his better with those rudders, I may consider that.

His elevator, could have had a bit more area.

My original model had a setback in the LE. I should build another wing?

Now I have to finish it.

Thanks for that.

Charles

PS,

I just took a look at Jack's plans. He did the same thing I did with the location of his bellcrank. Placed it at the outer boom!

I'm deffinetely going to take this model a bit more serious.

Anyone up for a better name?

Madonna.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:12:04 PM by Avaiojet »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »
Charles rather than me doing all the searching/copying and pasting why not duck over to Stuka Stunt and do a search for the word 'LaDonna.'

There is a fantastic build series there, one that I am sure that most fliers could learn a lot from.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
Charles rather than me doing all the searching/copying and pasting why not duck over to Stuka Stunt and do a search for the word 'LaDonna.'There is a fantastic build series there, one that I am sure that most fliers could learn a lot from.

Chris,

I don't normally spend a great deal of time over there. But I did take a quick peek last night. I did see that Jack's design was kitted, a compliment actually. Be interesting to hear about how Jack's La Donna flew? Be nice to see photos of finished LaDonna's.

Mine handled quite well. That's why I built the second, and started a third.

The parts to the third, which I'm using above, will give the model a different look than my original design, sans the leading edge setback. Models with LE setbacks look so much nicer. IMHO.

I'll have to live with it because I hate building wings, considered it, but I'll use what's hanging around.

Thanks for the interest.

Charles

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
HI Charles,

I cannot believe you had never heard of Jack Sheeks!  He is the most prolific publisher of Stunt Model Articles ever.  It was hard to pick up a model magazine in the mid '60s with out seeing a model Jack had designed published in it.  He has dozens of articles.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »
HI Charles,
I cannot believe you had never heard of Jack Sheeks!  He is the most prolific publisher of Stunt Model Articles ever.  It was hard to pick up a model magazine in the mid '60s with out seeing a model Jack had designed published in it.  He has dozens of articles.BIG BearRNMM/AMM

Well, believe it because it's true. I left CL in early 1964. When I came back into modeling, it was all R/C.

I've also stated, long ago, I had little interest in articles in model magazines. Still don't. I've never read an entire article in any model magazine, including R/C. Will I be punished for this?   ;D

Oh, BTW.

Played with "Madanna" last night.

Found out you do have to give some thought, to old parts that have been glued for 49 years. Especially with Ambroid.

So I gave "Madanna" the nose test and she failed, badly in fact. Every nose piece came apart with a tug and the help of a screwdriver. Quite easily actually.

Now I'm deciding if I should use these parts or not? Possibly just a few.

As a kid, I had more glue, on the left shoulder of my T-shirts, than on the model. Right thigh also. Sound familiar?

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
I mentioned above that the modified wing kit I was using was a Sig Banshee. This is incorrect.

It's actually a Sig Twister.

Charles

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »
I'm reading and wondering what "LE setback" is. I envisioned a notch in the center area, like some combat designs used to get the engine back and CG correct, before long tail designs came into vogue. Went back up to the last picture ("Don Hartman"), and no such thing. Leading edge sweepback has a new name? No thanks!  j1   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »
I'm reading and wondering what "LE setback" is. I envisioned a notch in the center area, like some combat designs used to get the engine back and CG correct, before long tail designs came into vogue. Went back up to the last picture ("Don Hartman"), and no such thing. Leading edge sweepback has a new name? No thanks!  j1 

Steve,

Good point. I believe you are correct. "Sweepback" is actully what it is.

I stand corrected.

Thanks for picking up on that.

Any reply is a good one even if it's critical.   n~

I actually worked on the wing today and the engine rails. Is that what they are called?

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here